Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The script leaked ages before the movie came out, at the time there wasn't the option of actually watching the movie if you were curious about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My gf has been watching Kimmy Schmidt. It seems like something I would normally hate but I just... can't hate it.

I bet it would be fascinating to watch while on ecstasy or LSD, if only for the colors

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Teen Witch just went up on Netflix. Everybody needs to see it right away. It is like a matroshka doll of weird scenes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

My gf has been watching Kimmy Schmidt. It seems like something I would normally hate but I just... can't hate it.

I bet it would be fascinating to watch while on ecstasy or LSD, if only for the colors
It's actually a good show to watch while in a sober lucid state where you can process narrative and dialogue, too.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's actually a good show to watch while in a sober lucid state where you can process narrative and dialogue, too.

Look at this baby who can't understand words while high.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

After rewatching all of An Idiot Abroad, I started watching both of the Anthony Bourdain series No Reservations and Parts Unknown. Are there any other shows of that type? I mean travel shows that are more "gritty" for lack of a better word and less touristy.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

precision posted:

I think its partly because as funny as other elements of the show are, Ellie Kemper carries the hell out of that role and it's just impossible not to root for her.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

drunken officeparty posted:

After rewatching all of An Idiot Abroad, I started watching both of the Anthony Bourdain series No Reservations and Parts Unknown. Are there any other shows of that type? I mean travel shows that are more "gritty" for lack of a better word and less touristy.

Michael Palin's travelogues are more substantial than most others of their type. I don't think they're available to stream officially anywhere, but it looks like some are up on YouTube. Personal favourites are his first two, Around the World in 80 Days and Pole to Pole.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 14, 2015

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
QT said Big Bad Wolves was the best movie of 2013, its on Netflix and man is it something. Reminds me of a black comedy I Saw The Devil.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I realized I hadn't seen a new Nicholas Cage movie since Wicker Man, so I watched Joe on 'flix. I think this is supposed to be Cage's Slingblade.

Nick plays Joe, a guy with anger control issues who is trying to keep his life together. He runs a work crew clearing forests in the deep south, and one day crosses paths with a kid who is abused by his father.

This poo poo is deep, DEEP south. Even I couldn't follow some of the dialogue at times (I lived in the south for a decade), but I really think they nailed the proper spirit of the deadbeat arguing about how hard he worked that day.

There's some symbolism. I think there's even a part where Nick sort of makes fun of the funny faces he is known for.

All in all, a slow-paced movie. But interesting. I'm not even sure what mood I would suggest you be in to watch this one. Maybe a lazy, quiet Sunday afternoon movie when you aren't going to be bothered for a couple hours.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I didn't realize how many movies Nicolas Cage has been in in the past few years. Good lord, he really did have some bills that needed paying didn't he. Joe looks like an interesting departure from that run though, he's at least making a slightly different facial expression in the title image. Or maybe it's just the beard. Either way it's an improvement from the "somewhere between constipated and concerned about the IRS" that seems to be his new norm. Come on Nic, you're an award winning actor, you can still emote! The box art on some of these is like a parody at this point.

What the hell is even going on with Rage.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

crondaily posted:

QT said Big Bad Wolves was the best movie of 2013, its on Netflix and man is it something. Reminds me of a black comedy I Saw The Devil.

Sounds amazing. On it.

Edit

Just read the synopsis. It sounds like the perfect pairing with Prisoners.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 15, 2015

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Stolen is actually really cool and you should watch it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

E: wrong thread

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GORDON posted:

I realized I hadn't seen a new Nicholas Cage movie since Wicker Man, so I watched Joe on 'flix. I think this is supposed to be Cage's Slingblade.

Nick plays Joe, a guy with anger control issues who is trying to keep his life together. He runs a work crew clearing forests in the deep south, and one day crosses paths with a kid who is abused by his father.

This poo poo is deep, DEEP south. Even I couldn't follow some of the dialogue at times (I lived in the south for a decade), but I really think they nailed the proper spirit of the deadbeat arguing about how hard he worked that day.

There's some symbolism. I think there's even a part where Nick sort of makes fun of the funny faces he is known for.

All in all, a slow-paced movie. But interesting. I'm not even sure what mood I would suggest you be in to watch this one. Maybe a lazy, quiet Sunday afternoon movie when you aren't going to be bothered for a couple hours.

It's so country-assed. I loved Joe. I could watch another 2 hours of him antagonizing cops.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I didn't much care for Joe. There were definitely some really astounding aspects to it, but it's basically something of a more country-fried retread of the Southern Gothic he did with Undertow, but unlike Undertow a lot of it didn't really feel... I don't even know. I think I just checked out entirely once the kid's dad beats the guy to death for his wine. I just rejected that scene on such a visceral level, and I get that it's deliberate in that way, but it just didn't take.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

K. Waste posted:

I didn't much care for Joe. There were definitely some really astounding aspects to it, but it's basically something of a more country-fried retread of the Southern Gothic he did with Undertow, but unlike Undertow a lot of it didn't really feel... I don't even know. I think I just checked out entirely once the kid's dad beats the guy to death for his wine. I just rejected that scene on such a visceral level, and I get that it's deliberate in that way, but it just didn't take.

I thought that actor, the old man, was perfect. Sometimes you just KNOW when the guy sidling up to you is up to no good.... I thought that came through perfectly.

"Hey, whatcha drinking there?"

"Nothin."

"Yeah I just need a little money to get to the next town over, my wife has the cancer...."

I dunno. Just thought it was well done.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

Teen Witch just went up on Netflix. Everybody needs to see it right away. It is like a matroshka doll of weird scenes.

It's also one of the 80's-est teen movies ever made.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I still can't figure out what the hell they're wearing in gym class. They look like some kind of bathing suit, but then they wear pants over them? But not shirts?

Also cool guys in 1988 wore sweatshirts with the pirelli tire company logo on them?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Looking for something legitimately crazy? BRANDED is on Netflix streaming and it is next-level bonkers.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've been watching the Holmes Inspection Collection, and holy poo poo these Canadians are lucky to have this show around. They get rooked by fraudulent or negligent home inspectors, and they end up owning homes not up to code, moldy, or with hosed up foundations. Then Mike Holmes and his crew come in to fix and renovate everything, with the homeowners paying a small fraction of $100-150k worth of work. I rent now, but it's a huge eye opener for things to be mindful of if I ever want to own a home.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

Looking for something legitimately crazy? BRANDED is on Netflix streaming and it is next-level bonkers.

It's also confusingly terrible. Like it doesn't make sense how a movie can turn out bad in the ways that movie is bad.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
Finally got around to watching 3 Women on Netflix. This movie is great and if you haven't seen it you should definitely check it out. The whole thing has this really fantastic nightmarish undertone, and having Shelley Duvall and Sissy Spacek star alongside each other in the same movie is a dream.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dhoom is expiring on the 18th. It's basically buddy cop Fast and the Furious in Hindi, with way more romance and songs. I'm just over halfway through it, and it's not bad.

But man, Hindi movies have gotten waaaaaaay more racy in the last 20 years.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Malloreon posted:

Dhoom is expiring on the 18th. It's basically buddy cop Fast and the Furious in Hindi, with way more romance and songs. I'm just over halfway through it, and it's not bad.

But man, Hindi movies have gotten waaaaaaay more racy in the last 20 years.

Gunday and Special 26 are also pretty drat good.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Also OSS 117: Lost in Rio, a French parody of Bond/Hitchcock/spy movies starring eventual Best Actor winner Jean Dujardin, expires in 100 minutes.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 15, 2015

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

blood_dot_biz posted:

Finally got around to watching 3 Women on Netflix. This movie is great and if you haven't seen it you should definitely check it out. The whole thing has this really fantastic nightmarish undertone, and having Shelley Duvall and Sissy Spacek star alongside each other in the same movie is a dream.

I would second this with the highest recommendation. A few weeks ago I even had the pleasure to see a screening of this, complete with an introduction by Altman's wife (she and a co-author were promoting a book about Altman's career).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

axleblaze posted:

It's also confusingly terrible. Like it doesn't make sense how a movie can turn out bad in the ways that movie is bad.

I think you nailed it. I thought the concept sounded great and somebody explained it to me as They Live meets that one Treehouse of Horror bit with Paul Anka. Instead it turned out to be a less visually stimulating Escape From Tomorrow without even the gimmick of being shot in Disney.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Malloreon posted:

Also OSS 117: Lost in Rio, a French parody of Bond/Hitchcock/spy movies starring eventual Best Actor winner Jean Dujardin, expires in 100 minutes.

i can't stress how good the OSS 117 movies are. Jean Dujardin is amazing.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I just burned through two seasons of Hannibal on Amazon Prime. It's far from perfect, but it's unique, and it hooked me in a way I haven't been hooked in a while. It's probably the most visual show on TV. If you just listen to Mads Mikkelson's voice, he sounds like a flat, terrible actor. If you watch closely, he's incredible. And the visuals are amazing.

It's got the trappings of a procedural, but if you watch it that way, you'll be disappointed. The logistics of the crimes never make sense, and neither does the working environment where the people closest to the crimes get to investigate all of them. You just have to accept that it's set in a weird alternate world, where that's just the way things are.

But if you do that, it's very dreamlike and strange, and the characters are wonderful little enigmas. The show doesn't hold your hand, and it's rewarding to figure out just who each of these people are, what they're up to, and why.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Short Penguin posted:

i can't stress how good the OSS 117 movies are. Jean Dujardin is amazing.

He really does have the most expressive face. It's no surprise he won Best Actor for a silent movie.

I'm almost done with Lost in Rio and it is even better than Nest of Spies.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Ok I watched Chef and was really impressed by it. Not what I was expecting and tonally similar to Real Steel in terms of distant fathers connecting with their children via their passions. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also checked The Young Doctor's Handbook starting Daniel Radcliffe and Jon Hamm which is delightfully demented. Harry Potter plays a recent graduate of the Moscow School of Medicine and is sent to a terrible backwater to cut his teeth in becoming a doctor.

And finally finished the day with Automata starting Antonio Banderas. Delves into Asimov's laws of robotics and humans interactions with artificial intelligence in a post apoc setting. After dithering over whether I should watch it or not I was happy to find it was worth the effort. Not a brainless sci fi like I Robot, sort of similar to Bladerunner. If you've found yourself indecisive about watching it I think it's worth your time.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Alternate Opinion: I haven't seen Automata but those other two were really boring!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Alternate Opinion: I haven't seen Automata but those other two were really boring!

As for Automata, I thought the first half was entertaining enough, and the latter half was really boring.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

A fair point but today was a cooking day and having them all playing in the background while working in the kitchen I was able to keep up with what was happening on screen and enjoyed what I saw. The Young Doctor's Handbook I thought was pretty good if you enjoy things like The League of Gentlemen tv series.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's also one of the 80's-est teen movies ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksBE53CIT8E

The scene that set rap music back at least ten years.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

AndyP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksBE53CIT8E

The scene that set rap music back at least ten years.

I don't know, if you look at rap from the era, it's not actually that much better. I think slow, predictable, ultimately lame put-down rap is sort of just what was around at the time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I don't know, if you look at rap from the era, it's not actually that much better. I think slow, predictable, ultimately lame put-down rap is sort of just what was around at the time.

Are you seriously making GBS threads on Run-DMC :stare:

e: Public Enemy released It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back a year before this movie was made, there's no goddamn excuse

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Are you seriously making GBS threads on Run-DMC :stare:

e: Public Enemy released It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back a year before this movie was made, there's no goddamn excuse

Straight Outta Compton also came out in 88. gently caress The Police is totally comparable to whatever the hell is going on in that scene, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Just saying, the time period doesn't excuse anything.