Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
How are people getting piasters to mess around with? Did you have to be in the alpha or something for some sort of stipend? These default 6 ship slots are really restricting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Piasters were a stipend they were giving us in Alpha based on how many games we played. Gunlion has already said they will do the same from Beta, they are just trying to iron out how much and how often so as not to make everyone like Dave Chappelle.. "I'm rich bitch!"

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
fyi you can hit P to disable your AA guns so you dont get spotted

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Fart Car '97 posted:

Works for me :toot:

Also is there any way to improve the accuracy of guns in general? Will spacing out your firing make shots land closer to where you're aiming? Because it loving sucks to let a volley loose only to immediately know it's not going to score gently caress-all for hits because it's shotgunned all over the goddamn place.

Fire one gun at a time, especially if you're not broadside to the enemy. If you're going diagonally, for example, you'll want to aim the front and rear guns at different points.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Still getting the hang of the Pheonix after the St. Louis. However being a BB player I find the St. Louis has one pretty big problem with it despite having 14 guns: It's slow as molasses. I rarely had tier 3 games in it so it would take me forever to get into position to shoot some botes. Plus sometimes I went to the side without all the targets and DD/BB's would finish off that side and start moving to the other while I was still a good distance off.
20 kts is slooooow when BB's can crank up to 30.

Also as a BB just use AP and mince any destroyer that gets close. Otherwise shoot at larger/stupider targets at max range.

As for reducing the spread on the guns either shoot things closer to you or at your max range. At close range your shots don't have time to spread and at max range they line up for raining in a semi-neat line. (Then again I usually do sequential fire on my BB's via holding the fire button down.)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Getting a bit sick of teams sailing away from the entire enemy team after it's been spotted. It's not bloody tanks you don't push a lane.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Some idiot in a low tier Japanese cruiser tried to solo my Cleveland. It went poorly for him.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

xthetenth posted:

Getting a bit sick of teams sailing away from the entire enemy team after it's been spotted. It's not bloody tanks you don't push a lane.

Especially when it's a Domination mission :argh:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Steps to play destroyer
-Sail around waiting for ships to separate
-Sail around islands and smokescreens avoiding fire
-Sail around distracted ships
-Torpedo ships when they aren't looking
-Sail away

Where are you going wrong here? Destroyers are easy.

It is trivially easy to crit hit all the Japanese cruisers for max damage, and they are way easier to hit. They do go slower, so maybe you aren't suiciding into the other team as quickly.

aka be the amx 12\13

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I have a fair amount of success using my Japanese torps as area-denial weapons. This is especially useful when my team are a bunch of dickheads that don't do anything to secure the cap and I'm the only one poking four or five ships by myself.

You get less big kills that way, but it's a good tactic when charging in would only result in your death. Later on in the game, when the ships thin out a bit, I still have enough HP to play around.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I put my Myogi between a Kongo and our Carrier and he had enough time to drop torps, miss, land, drop more torps, and miss again before I died. Fucks sake :psyduck:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I just lost a game where I did 125k torpedo damage because my dumbass battleship teammate sunk himself by ramming their last remaining ship, causing them to win on points.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013

McGavin posted:

HAHAHA! HOLY poo poo! THEY GAVE THE WEEKEND TESTERS WHO SNUCK INTO THE ALPHA THE ALPHA REWARD SHIP!

The death pickle. Enjoy it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I dunno what you guys who were making GBS threads on the Phoenix a few pages ago are on about. Sure I get less guns but my torpedoes murder motherfuckers. :shrug:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Strobe posted:

I dunno what you guys who were making GBS threads on the Phoenix a few pages ago are on about. Sure I get less guns but my torpedoes murder motherfuckers. :shrug:
I really liked the Phoenix as well, after a short adjustment period.

However, I have now moved on to the Omaha and can assure you it's just plain better in just about every single way.

I don't even use the torps except when an opportunity happens by, mostly I just zip around gunning poo poo down. The gun layout is great.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I'm loving the St. Louis right now. I even managed to dodge several salvos of torpedos in one game, which granted is mostly due to the other side being horrible at them.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Torps take some getting used to (And you need the torps in the Pheonix.) They travel slower than I think they will while BB shells travel faster than I think they will. Alt kinda helps, I just wish there were more GUI options to have some ALT stuff on all the time.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Keru posted:

I'm loving the St. Louis right now. I even managed to dodge several salvos of torpedos in one game, which granted is mostly due to the other side being horrible at them.

how can you dodge anything in that huge can that moves at like 6 knots

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Strobe posted:

The Phoenix is terrible until the '38 hull, and then you got to join the cool kids club. It's great for clubbing destroyers: guns, torps, and if all else fails, ramming!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Works for me :toot:

Also is there any way to improve the accuracy of guns in general? Will spacing out your firing make shots land closer to where you're aiming? Because it loving sucks to let a volley loose only to immediately know it's not going to score gently caress-all for hits because it's shotgunned all over the goddamn place.

Once you unlock upgrades there's one that improves accuracy. It makes a noticeable difference. If you have a Kongo the credit costs for upgrades are basically irrelevant, so do that.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

SuperSix posted:

how can you dodge anything in that huge can that moves at like 6 knots

I'll just assume they were utter poo poo at aiming torpedos, because I can't think of any way I should've been able to avoid so many. I think I only got hit with 2 torpedos total.

Wow Bagger
Mar 30, 2010
It's great that in every single capture the enemy's base, defend your own the pubbies in battleships immediately gently caress off to a corner of the map leaving the enemy team free to capture our base and defend theirs. It's like they have an aversion to actually fighting or being shot at despite having the most armor in the game.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

I should not be allowed torpedos. I am not good with them.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

the game is pretty fun I have to say, but Im reminded how much I hate a lot of world of tanks stupid poo poo. as in the whole "ship is locked in battle thing better wait for it to end so you can use it again"

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

Strobe posted:

Because losing 8 guns, 9k HP, and going from a gun playstyle I enjoy to a torpedo playstyle which I don't enjoy isn't very fun? It's not a huge mystery.

That being said after upgrading the hull a couple times it's fine enough now.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Monowhatever posted:

the game is pretty fun I have to say, but Im reminded how much I hate a lot of world of tanks stupid poo poo. as in the whole "ship is locked in battle thing better wait for it to end so you can use it again"

To be fair, it's a wargaming product, you knew what you were getting into.

So, question. How the gently caress do you actually properly aim at things over 10 seconds away? It seems for me that once it takes longer than that for a shell to arrive, whether or not I hit depends more on luck and how the stars are aligned rather than any actual skill on my part. Is there any big secret I'm missing or is that just something I'll pick up with practice and play-experience?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's mostly luck whether you hit or not, but I usually aim about 2 - 2.5 ship lengths ahead of distant targets.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Rorac posted:

To be fair, it's a wargaming product, you knew what you were getting into.

So, question. How the gently caress do you actually properly aim at things over 10 seconds away? It seems for me that once it takes longer than that for a shell to arrive, whether or not I hit depends more on luck and how the stars are aligned rather than any actual skill on my part. Is there any big secret I'm missing or is that just something I'll pick up with practice and play-experience?

I'm pretty sure you don't, considering how much the RNG spreads shots anyways. Unless you're trying to sneak, just shoot guns in the general vicinity (especially if you see smoke) until you feel you can start landing shots.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Rorac posted:

Take your best guess, fire one turret, wait 5 secs or so to see if you're on target and make any adjustments. Now fire the rest of your guns. Then just keep laying fire since you should have a reasonable solution.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Rorac posted:

Hit alt to get the travel time, then lead based on that. As a rule of thumb I do about 1.5 of the small tick marks per second of travel time, for battleships going at right angles. Fire off one turret and watch that if you aren't sure. You get a feel for it faster than you'd think.
Citadel hits at 20 km are basically luck due to shell dispersion and the players who say otherwise are overstating how good they are, but you can hit fairly consistently at that range if you shoot at battleships.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
The St. Louis has really low dispersion on the guns too. You can just dunk on pubbies at the edge of your range like it ain't no thang.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I can't for the life of me figure out what the actual acc differences are between the various guns because it's so helpfully listed as dispersion at max range. Thanks WG.

Do I just divide that by range? I'm loving terrible at this stuff.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I really hope WG is gonna fix this "getting permanently stuck on a cliff because your side almost kinda brushed against it" horseshit asap, because it's the loving worst. Feels like pre-physics WoT all over again.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Nordick posted:

I really hope WG is gonna fix this "getting permanently stuck on a cliff because your side almost kinda brushed against it" horseshit asap, because it's the loving worst. Feels like pre-physics WoT all over again.

lol. You're lucky they let you get close to shore at all without running aground and then flooding. tbh.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Prav posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out what the actual acc differences are between the various guns because it's so helpfully listed as dispersion at max range. Thanks WG.

Do I just divide that by range? I'm loving terrible at this stuff.

I think that would be close enough. Depending on how they calculate it it might not be perfect since the flight distance isn't linear, but I don't think shell arc is different enough between ships for that to matter much.

Fake edit: I just checked the Kongo and dispersion per range changes by 2% when you upgrade the fire control. I don't know if fire control secretly makes your guns more accurate but that's pretty small regardless. :spergin:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

vandiar posted:

Because losing 8 guns, 9k HP, and going from a gun playstyle I enjoy to a torpedo playstyle which I don't enjoy isn't very fun? It's not a huge mystery.

That being said after upgrading the hull a couple times it's fine enough now.

Don't worry, it goes back to shitloads of guns at tier 6.

Also, apparently the Lexington doesn't get 8 inch secondaries. This makes me sad.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Shooting at max range is a dice roll, but got drat today I magazine-critted a cruiser at 15km and it was radical. drat near spawn to spawn, he mad.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Infidelicious posted:

lol. You're lucky they let you get close to shore at all without running aground and then flooding. tbh.
I'm talking about sheer cliffs dropping straight into the sea. They have no shores to run aground on.
And I would be totally okay with taking damage if I actually hit a cliff. I am not ok with getting permanently magnetised in place even when no part of my ship is touching anything.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Nordick posted:

I'm talking about sheer cliffs dropping straight into the sea. They have no shores to run aground on.
And I would be totally okay with taking damage if I actually hit a cliff. I am not ok with getting permanently magnetised in place even when no part of my ship is touching anything.

Today I got was driving a BB and two DDs let a volley of torpedoes off at me and another BB near me. We both went into evasive turns that caused our hulls to brush together.

We instantly stuck together and stopped dead in the water and both volleys of torpedoes went wide when I should have eaten a few and the other guy should have been wrecked. But we both came out scratch free and proceeded to wipe the destroyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

Shooting at max range is a dice roll, but got drat today I magazine-critted a cruiser at 15km and it was radical. drat near spawn to spawn, he mad.

Having been on the receiving end of this I can affirm that yeah, he mad as loving hell.