Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's because he killed the guy who helped him in the tutorial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Feminition posted:

I remember in the first game when the janitors/devs were making a big point about how they didn't pressure people at all to go on those missions to slaughter people -- that they just left the voicemail, sent the masks and let them do their own thing. Was that a lie/meta bullshit? It seems like 50 Blessings was actively threatening people with physical harm.

Yeah, I felt like the empty threat thing was basically saying 'since it's a game we the devs aren't threatening you.

Milky Moor posted:

Nah, chainsaw maniac girls are hot as heck

I assume he meant the sister being named Alex, and not Ash.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I went back and played part of HM1 yesterday. In Clean Hit, I didn't remember you could go out the window and just kept playing through it by shooting down the hallway and mowing people down with the guns HM2 style. :downs:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pirate Jet posted:

Retconned so that HM2 could be a lorefest.

Similar to how Jacket vomited after the first level of HM1 but now in HM2 he's actually a trained war veteran.

Well you could always get one of the masked killers to do it for you. They have Jacket do it to Biker and Richter do it to Hooker so maybe they called someone to torch Richter's car. Whoever shoots Jake in his secret isn't cannon though cos the Russians got him in HM.

Just finished the game tonight and.. wow that's some way to end a videogame.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Well you could always get one of the masked killers to do it for you. They have Jacket do it to Biker and Richter do it to Hooker so maybe they called someone to torch Richter's car. Whoever shoots Jake in his secret isn't cannon though cos the Russians got him in HM.

Just finished the game tonight and.. wow that's some way to end a videogame.

Well, Biker beats Jacket, I think. It's why his head bursts pre-Trauma and Richter apologizes for shooting his girlfriend, not shooting both of them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Anatharon posted:

I assume he meant the sister being named Alex, and not Ash.

This was kind of my joke earlier, they both have neutral-gender names and are twins, and you can't tell them apart when they're masked up.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Anatharon posted:

Well, Biker beats Jacket, I think. It's why his head bursts pre-Trauma and Richter apologizes for shooting his girlfriend, not shooting both of them.

I always feel that second but of evidence isn't quite so solid. I mean, if I was Richter, I'd be saying 'sorry for shooting your girlfriend' because he actually killed her. He doesn't apologise to Jacket because Jacket's alive and Richter presumably thinks that Jacket wasn't so badly hurt by him if the guy just shot up an entire police station.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I also think it's pretty clear that Jacket beat Biker given the massive head wound that Biker's sporting in HLM2 - he just didn't kill him.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

It is really questionable how much of Jacket's experiences are accurate even post-coma, though.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Exactly which parts of hm1 didn't happen and were just coma dreams

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, since practically everyone is hallucinating Richard, does that mean he's basically become some sort of pervasive cultural icon?

I'm reminded of Paranoia Agent in that regard.

Actually I would be surprised if these guys weren't fans of Satoshi Kon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Even in Hotline 1, the Janitors' lines about how the messages weren't threatening were a lie. Just after Biker starts hunting down members of 50 blessings and looking for answers, he gets a message along the lines of "This is Miami Funeral Homes and Services, we have your tombstone picked out just for you and ready to be delivered!" or similar.

edit:

quote:

Hi it's 'Ben' from Miami funeral parlour... I'm just calling to tell you we have the tombstone you ordered done and ready to be delivered. With a little luck you should be getting it before the weekend!

No address or anything, just a thinly veiled threat.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah, if we're using HM1 dialogue as evidence, the cop at Jacket's hospital room calls Richter "the guy who shot 'em", which indicates he's speaking about both Jacket and his girlfriend.[spoiler] I think it just makes the most sense to assume [spoiler]Jacket and Biker each hosed the other up, with no real winner or loser, as far as HM2 canon goes.

Also, Biker's appearance is in a bar full of various characters who are both dead and alive by the given date: The Fans, Son and Henchman are all there, and so is what looks like The Son's dad from HM1, all of whom I'm pretty sure are dead by that point, not to mention the bartender is Beard. It's basically the bar from Fallout 2 where you find Dogmeat, full of characters who shouldn't necessarily even be around any more. Schrödinger's drinking establishment.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, if we're using HM1 dialogue as evidence, the cop at Jacket's hospital room calls Richter "the guy who shot 'em", which indicates he's speaking about both Jacket and his girlfriend.[spoiler] I think it just makes the most sense to assume [spoiler]Jacket and Biker each hosed the other up, with no real winner or loser, as far as HM2 canon goes.

Also, Biker's appearance is in a bar full of various characters who are both dead and alive by the given date: The Fans, Son and Henchman are all there, and so is what looks like The Son's dad from HM1, all of whom I'm pretty sure are dead by that point, not to mention the bartender is Beard. It's basically the bar from Fallout 2 where you find Dogmeat, full of characters who shouldn't necessarily even be around any more. Schrödinger's drinking establishment.

It's called the Bar of Broken Heroes and the Fallout 2 one was Cafe of Broken Dreams or something, right?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anatharon posted:

It's called the Bar of Broken Heroes and the Fallout 2 one was Cafe of Broken Dreams or something, right?

Other way round I think

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Just beat this game. Holy poo poo if it wasn't frustrating at times, but drat if that final level and cutscene didn't leave the sweetest taste in my mouth. Ending on the absolute highest note.

HM2 is a pretty drat cool game. Music, design, story is all aces and wonderful. Gameplay left me annoyed at times, but when it worked, it was amazing and I just felt like the absolute coolest guy. Going back for the bonus stuff now while I still feel like I'm good at this game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's just a bug, I'm sure, but I can't figure out why it would happen...

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 15, 2015

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anatharon posted:

What the A button? Probably xbox controller support on windows. My guess is their tools just let you pick which platform to build for, all the gfx for all versions probably remain in the bundle

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

What the A button? Probably xbox controller support on windows. My guess is their tools just let you pick which platform to build for, all the gfx for all versions probably remain in the bundle

That's Caught.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Exactly which parts of hm1 didn't happen and were just coma dreams

All of HLM1 happened, all of HLM2 is a coma dream.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Now that I've finished it, I like it on the whole. Felt like the later levels were much better than the early ones, which is backwards from how I felt about the first game.

Still wish there was a replay/score attack mode with all the cutscenes removed and selectable characters, but that might not be technically possible? Who knows.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Uggggggggggh this detective level is such complete horseshit

Room full of guys with guns and fat guys, good loving luck with that! :v:

uber_stoat posted:

Still wish there was a replay/score attack mode with all the cutscenes removed and selectable characters, but that might not be technically possible? Who knows.

When the level editor comes out I'm sure people will re-create all the levels so you can play them with anything. If the devs don't let us, we'll let ourselves.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I'm ready for someone to recreate the entire first game with the new characters so I can knock out hundreds of people with the writer and destroy that one window room in hot and heavy with Dallas, the swans, or Mark.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I think there's at least one level in Hotline Miami that you couldn't accomplish with Dallas or the new-rules Tony, just because there are bad guys who are in sealed off areas that you need to shoot into. Particularly I'm thinking of the second floor in Deadline, but there could be others?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My guess is that all characters/styles aren't playable on all settings because they didn't implement how some enemy and character types would interact- especially the Writer.

An interesting bug: On Execution, Tony isn't properly coded into the, well, execution. He just sorta stands there.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Yeah, I didn't catch that until my second playthrough. I guess she's wearing armor or something?

According to the comic, Alex, Ash and Mark are all wearing American Football armour. The sprites look more like they just have different colours sleeves, but thet could just as easily be that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

My guess is that all characters/styles aren't playable on all settings because they didn't implement how some enemy and character types would interact- especially the Writer.

An interesting bug: On Execution, Tony isn't properly coded into the, well, execution. He just sorta stands there.

Yeah he never encounters dogs or big guys.

Tony is secretly the sanest of all the Fans, you see. :v:

Anatharon posted:

To clarify what I meant by this, it's that you're normally Manny in Caught. However if you die in the right way (get shot and dog'd at the same time, I think) you turn into Martin.

Cerebulon posted:

According to the comic, Alex, Ash and Mark are all wearing American Football armour. The sprites look more like they just have different colours sleeves, but thet could just as easily be that.

Mark's moved up to kevlar armor by the game though.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
So when you run out of ammo during a hawaii mission on hard you're just hosed, or am I missing a way to get bullets without a box?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
spoiler from the comics: page two or three of issue one- in the bar, watching the news coverage. The fat member of the ghost wolves is still alive.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

So, I'm still stuck on Corey's section from Death Wish on Hard. It's fun as hell though - I'm starting to be able to roll through shotgun blasts pretty effectively.
Fun thing to do on that level: punch the dude with the knife, take his knife, kill the other dude, and roll in the room to your right. Just by existing in that room, you'll attract like eight or nine dudes with guns, a black man, and a dog semi-randomly. It's not a good route to win the level, but it's fun as hell, and a good way to practice his roll.
For all that people love the swans, I think that high-level Corey play is going to be more impressive.

I'm starting to think that this is actually a better game than Hotline Miami 1. It's definitely got a higher skill ceiling, and the scoring is way less busted. If they made doors-enemy interactions less weird, gave you a little bit more vertical look, and made it so you always picked up the weapon closest to the center of your character, It would be pretty much perfect.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm MUY behind on this thread (and this game... playing some more now...) Do we have a rough ETA on user-generated levels? Also... I think User-Generated Levels will be the answer to the unfortunate "BIG OFFSCREEN FUCKERY" this game seems to specialize in

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Discendo Vox posted:

spoiler from the comics: page two or three of issue one- in the bar, watching the news coverage. The fat member of the ghost wolves is still alive.

I just went on gog and apparently (at least for my account?) the comics are available for zero earth dollars

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I just went on gog and apparently (at least for my account?) the comics are available for zero earth dollars
That's not bad, but if you go on Steam they're totally free.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Trick Question posted:

For all that people love the swans, I think that high-level Corey play is going to be more impressive.

Corey is definitely the most sick-nasty of the fans, I just love the swans because their capacity for carnage is as high as their ease of use. I feel like once skilled Corey players get the combos routed out we'll see him get an edge in scores from the weapon diversity bonus.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah the only fan I don't have much fun with is Mark.

Do any of the characters seem to be faster than others, aside from Dallas when he's doing goon-fu?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Just finished Normal and wow. Great game. Frustrating at first but so good! Finally can read some speculation about that crazy rear end story :)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Nearly got 10th place in world times for hard mode Death Wish, then died in the last room as Alex and Ash. :negative:

Wamdoodle posted:

Just finished Normal and wow. Great game. Frustrating at first but so good! Finally can read some speculation about that crazy rear end story :)

A big part of what I didn't like about the story is it's very matter of fact and final about everything. Once you put everything in order it's pretty easy to understand.

I'm looking forward to seeing fanmade Hotline Miami 3 in the level editor though. :toot:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Anatharon posted:

Nearly got 10th place in world times for hard mode Death Wish, then died in the last room as Alex and Ash. :negative:

A big part of what I didn't like about the story is it's very matter of fact and final about everything. Once you put everything in order it's pretty easy to understand.

I'm looking forward to seeing fanmade Hotline Miami 3 in the level editor though. :toot:

I was just looking over some stuff and yeah it is. It ties into Dennation saying that this is the final sequel for the series. I'm ok with that :) Good stuff though. Gonna have to start working on my scores now. Also, can't wait to see what Dennation come up with next! My fear is that they won't be able to live up to these two games but it will be interesting to see where they end up.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I really love that, though. It is a little sad that eventually there will be no more speculating or theorizing about what's going to happen because it's all happened now, but I feel like most game stories are far too open-ended, through intention or just poor writing. We knew Hotline Miami 2 was going to be the conclusion before it came out, and they fuckin concluded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Geight posted:

I really love that, though. It is a little sad that eventually there will be no more speculating or theorizing about what's going to happen because it's all happened now, but I feel like most game stories are far too open-ended, through intention or just poor writing. We knew Hotline Miami 2 was going to be the conclusion before it came out, and they fuckin concluded it.

I suppose that might be why I (and a lot of other people who don't like the story's end) aren't big fans of it.

Leaving the world is not as scary as it seems... :gbsmith:

• Locked thread