Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

Anyway, I'm curious, does anyone else think Seinfeld didn't hold up? I loved it at the time like everyone else did, but I think it may have just been so much a product of its time.

I would say yes it holds up. Because I don't think I watched much of it at all when it was actually on.

IRQ posted:

I was born in 82 and watched both. How on earth did you avoid them? TV was so much more collective back then; those shows were impossible to avoid. Like if you were a kid around then you were going to be watching the Simpsons and B&B if you weren't forbidden from them (and then you'd do it at a friend's house), and you watched the X Files, etc. By the time we were a little older, the tv would be on Seinfeld/Friends when they were on. Remember when "Must See TV" was a legit thing? TV was different back then.

I'm not sure I agree because if you were born in 82 we are close to the same age and I never watched any of those shows. And I don't even know what B&B is that you're referring to in the first part.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Lugaloco posted:

I watched Seinfeld in full for the first time a few years ago and thought it was great, even as a person outside the US.

i watched it in full for the first time this year and also agree that it rules. all of the jokes work so well even though 26 years have passed since it first aired

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

I'm sure at one point I sat through a rerun at a friend's house in high school bored to tears and I don't remember, but no I've never voluntarily watched The Simpsons. The law of averages regarding afternoon reruns says that at some point I've probably seen a whole episode though.

My respect for you just dropped a whole bunch, rectify that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

I would say yes it holds up. Because I don't think I watched much of it at all when it was actually on.

Maybe it's just that I did, so the jokes seem stale, like a stolen marble rye.

In any case, new page, Deadpool you should would some of the good years of The Simpsons, I know you would enjoy it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
just watch season 5, they you can go into the best seasons in 6-10

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

My respect for you just dropped a whole bunch, rectify that.

No thanks.

IRQ posted:

Maybe it's just that I did, so the jokes seem stale, like a stolen marble rye.

In any case, new page, Deadpool you should would some of the good years of The Simpsons, I know you would enjoy it.

Nah. Not interested in it. I know a bunch of comedy writers I like worked on it but I just don't care.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
get this: the freaking tv forum mod has never watched seinfeld or the simpsons.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I feel like it takes a pretty conscious effort to avoid The Simpsons if you were even watching TV for more than an hour for anything that wasn't the 6/11 o'clock news. Like, even in Canada, syndication was so stupidly widespread that there were at least 3 or 4 times a day you could watch The Simpsons just even just on what you got with the most basic of basic cable.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm flabbergasted quite frankly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sober posted:

I feel like it takes a pretty conscious effort to avoid The Simpsons if you were even watching TV for more than an hour for anything that wasn't the 6/11 o'clock news. Like, even in Canada, syndication was so stupidly widespread that there were at least 3 or 4 times a day you could watch The Simpsons just even just on what you got with the most basic of basic cable.

I would use this wonder of technology called the remote control to change to a different channel unless I was in a place where ownership of this mystical device was claimed by the local inhabitants. Anything I'm aware of these days regarding The Simpsons is purely through cultural osmosis.

Judge Clayjar posted:

get this: the freaking tv forum mod has never watched seinfeld or the simpsons.

Well, you're half right at least.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Don't worry Deadpool, liking the popular shows is overrated.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BSam posted:

Don't worry Deadpool, liking the popular shows is overrated.

Yeah I like those classic low rated underground shows like Seinfeld and Twilight Zone and shows nobody has ever heard of.

IRQ I'm still waiting on what B&B is.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I've watched no episodes of Friends, one of Seinfeld (the one where Kramer's first name is revealed), two episodes or so of Cheers, and sporadic Simpsons. I just don't like comedies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Deadpool posted:

IRQ I'm still waiting on what B&B is.
Beavis and Butthead, I assume.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Beavis and Butthead, I assume.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Chalk up another one that ol' stick in the mud Deadpool didn't like then. The only thing of MTV's that I liked in that era was The State.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I find it really interesting seeing which sitcoms from the 80s and 90s have held up. Both Seinfeld and Friends have aged really badly while shows like The Golden Girls and Roseanne are still perfectly watchable.

Also, Beavis & Butthead is amazing and you should feel bad if you don't like it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't like the Friends show but it's what everyone else was watching back then. If you go over to anyone's house it was on. Even Black people watched it. I've seen like 40 episodes without even intending to.

And Seinfeld is still funny IMO.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'd like to say I was maybe 10-12 when I first encountered Bevis and Butthead and even then I thought it was really juvenile. Also I kinda just tuned out during the music video bits.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

IRQ posted:

I prefer the newer episodes of the Simpsons, I think they are far more relevant and and crisp in animation style. The older episodes aren't drawn as well, and they don't capture my attention as well as the newer episodes. Aside from nostalgia purposes, they haven't aged well either.

But the Simpsons was never really a show you could binge watch anyway, it's fun to catch a few reruns or the latest episode on tv, but watching hours of random disjunct plots can get tiring. Simpsons is a show you turn on out of boredom, not excitement.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The superior Simpsons was and always will be seasons 5-12. That's a fact.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The Simpsons seasons I recommend are [the seasons I grew up watching as a child] and boy let me tell you about [the seasons when I decided I stopped liking the Simpsons], those sucked!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ravane posted:

I prefer the newer episodes of the Simpsons, I think they are far more relevant and and crisp in animation style. The older episodes aren't drawn as well, and they don't capture my attention as well as the newer episodes. Aside from nostalgia purposes, they haven't aged well either.

But the Simpsons was never really a show you could binge watch anyway, it's fun to catch a few reruns or the latest episode on tv, but watching hours of random disjunct plots can get tiring. Simpsons is a show you turn on out of boredom, not excitement.

I kind of feel the same way about new episodes, mostly because I've seen the original 10 or 11 seasons so many times I don't need to see them again for years really. The newer episodes however there is a good chance I've seen them once or never seen them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ravane posted:

Okay Deadpool it's time for that thread ban now.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Sober posted:

The Simpsons seasons I recommend are [the seasons I grew up watching as a child] and boy let me tell you about [the seasons when I decided I stopped liking the Simpsons], those sucked!

It's not really that, the golden age of The Simpsons (Seasons 3 through 9) really did not have much in the way of bad episodes.

Modern Simpsons can occasionally give us a great episode like "A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again". Then poo poo the bed two episodes later with an Episode like "Lisa Goes Gaga." Which is just a horribly written mess where Lady Gaga comes out on top.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 15, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thrakkorzog posted:

It's not really that, the golden age of The Simpsons (Seasons 3 through 9) really did not have much in the way of bad episodes.

Modern Simpsons can occasionally give us a great episode like "A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again". Then poo poo the Bed two episodes later with an Episode like "Lisa Goes Gaga." Which is just a mess to in order sell records for Lady Gaga.

It's worth watching season 1 and 2 because they have some of the greatest episodes of the series and you can see how the show evolved into what it became. Simpsons post season 8 was when the arguments over "it's poo poo" started, especially with The Principal and the Pauper, which even the writers admit is the most controversial episode.

Given that it's now up to season 27 believing that only 1/3 of entire series is worth watching is stupid. The last 18 seasons have had good and great episodes and been fairly consistent overall, but has occasionally strayed too far into the "pop culture/famous person" centered episode where the writing is secondary.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Principal and the Pauper is great because it's about what people don't like about it. The characters in the episode are having the exact same reaction the audience did.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

Ah ok, that makes sense. Chalk up another one that ol' stick in the mud Deadpool didn't like then. The only thing of MTV's that I liked in that era was The State.

Now that I remember your stalwart hatred of Silicon Valley, the best comedy currently on the air, this does not surprise me.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"Seinfeld didn't hold up" and "I've never watched The Simpsons" chat is maybe the most upsetting line of conversation this thread has taken

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Deadpool were you one of those Frasier fans?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

Deadpool were you one of those Frasier fans?

Loved Cheers, years after the show was off the air, but never really watched much Frasier at all. Just a few reruns here and there but didn't much care for it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The Principal and the Pauper is great because it's about what people don't like about it. The characters in the episode are having the exact same reaction the audience did.

The DVD commentaries on that episode are pure gold, because every single person was saying how they wrote the episode specifically to piss off the internet nerd fanbase and the entire point of "pretending it never happened" was a shot at the assholes who take cartoon continuity super seriously.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Deadpool posted:

:stare:

You dislike 90s MTV and Simpsons? See a therapist dude

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I finally decided to check out Nikita, and it starts off pretty great. Does the show remain as good? I only remember it because it got brought up in CW threads as the show that kept getting seasons despite low ratings because the head of the CW absolutely loved it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It actually gets better. Last season is a bit weird. but it's still pretty good.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Apparently there's a French version of that naked dating show now, it's called "Adam cherche Eve" or "Adam looking for Eve".

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Apparently there's a French version of that naked dating show now, it's called "Adam cherche Eve" or "Adam looking for Eve".

Do the French sue for $10 million if you forget to blur out their butthole for a few frames?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ariza posted:

Do the French sue for $10 million

No, the French sue in Euros

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pentyne posted:

I finally decided to check out Nikita, and it starts off pretty great. Does the show remain as good? I only remember it because it got brought up in CW threads as the show that kept getting seasons despite low ratings because the head of the CW absolutely loved it.

Stop at the end of season 2.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Nikita '10 is great from beginning to end, don't listen to Captain Capslock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ariza posted:

Do the French sue for $10 million if you forget to blur out their butthole for a few frames?

How would you see it through all the hair?

• Locked thread