Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

StarkingBarfish posted:

Cooling down the magnets, ~2 months until we start colliding again.

you ever wish that we could build a collider in deep space somewhere so you'd never have to worry about it getting too warm

also you could make it really big

i wrote a short story about a "circum-lunar"collider when i was in high school but that was perhaps unfeasably large

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ol qwerty bastard posted:

you ever wish that we could build a collider in deep space somewhere so you'd never have to worry about it getting too warm

i wrote a short story about a "circum-lunar"collider when i was in high school but that was perhaps unfeasably large

iir space isn't cold enough.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

is there a protocol for accidentally opening a hole to hell (or a hell-type dimension)?

this is a serious question.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

i cant wait for the hardons to start colliding again

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
god drat i love science

but i mean like is it easier with a ~30 degree temperature differential rather than a ~300 degree one

although the earth has the advantage of working like a honking big heat sink

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Cnidaria posted:

i cant wait for the hardons to start colliding again

txt me and well do it tonight

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

it's really hard to get rid of heat in space, since there's no air you can only ditch it by radiation

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
use the heat to make power

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

that's not how it works

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
so make it work that way???? duh

pram
Jun 10, 2001

much like my dick bazinga

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

wesley snypes posted:

it's really hard to get rid of heat in space, since there's no air you can only ditch it by radiation

This.

duTrieux. posted:

is there a protocol for accidentally opening a hole to hell (or a hell-type dimension)?

http://lsag.web.cern.ch/lsag/LSAG-Report.pdf

Chance of opening a hole to hell is zero, so there's no protocol for handling it. The actual safety system for the LHC is nuts though. If the beam becomes unstable for any reason, it needs to be gotten rid of quickly.

The beam holds ~350 megajoules at nominal fill and that will wreck your poo poo if it goes somewhere it shouldn't. The solution is a 7m long segmented carbon cylinder of 70cm diameter, contained in a steel cylinder, comprising the dump core. This is water cooled, and surrounded by about 750 tonnes of concrete and iron shielding.

When any of the several thousand redundant safety interlocks and sensors around the ring trips, the beam is kicked out onto the dump. Even then it would burn a nice hole through the core if nothing else was done: It has to be defocussed first and is drawn across the face of the core in an 'e' shape to dissipate the heat evenly. This is what it looks like as it gets to the dump:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

much like my dick bazinga

you have a dick bazinga? might want to talk to your doctor about that

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

StarkingBarfish posted:

This.

Chance of opening a hole to hell is zero, so there's no protocol for handling it. The actual safety system for the LHC is nuts though. If the beam becomes unstable for any reason, it needs to be gotten rid of quickly.

The beam holds ~350 megajoules at nominal fill and that will wreck your poo poo if it goes somewhere it shouldn't. The solution is a 7m long segmented carbon cylinder of 70cm diameter, contained in a steel cylinder, comprising the dump core. This is water cooled, and surrounded by about 750 tonnes of concrete and iron shielding.

When any of the several thousand redundant safety interlocks and sensors around the ring trips, the beam is kicked out onto the dump. Even then it would burn a nice hole through the core if nothing else was done: It has to be defocussed first and is drawn across the face of the core in an 'e' shape to dissipate the heat evenly. This is what it looks like as it gets to the dump:

This poo poo is awesome. Please post more.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

StarkingBarfish posted:

This.

:eyepop: wa wa wee wa wa

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StarkingBarfish posted:

This.

so when does the corridor designed to allow you guys to direct the energy beam straight at the kremlin get finished

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
hold on, here comes my

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

how many experiments get ruined and how much time and money does it cost if that switch gets flipped when it shouldn't?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

StarkingBarfish posted:

This.

all i can hear in my head when reading this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAqnrpDwaCM

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

lisa is never gonna happen lol

e: also if u know how circular colliders work u know u cant just ay " put it in space for big" u still gota build a ring

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

StarkingBarfish posted:

This.

never
stop
posting

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3NO6n_Qa8k

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i knew the guy wh o wrote the white paper about LHC making black holes and it was basically fifty pages trying to convince crackpots cause those of us not stupid knew it wouldn't happen

beam dumps more like my posting though

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

duTrieux. posted:

breach the helium cooling the accelerator, suffocate all the hellspawn in the tunnels.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

never
stop
posting

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
i've asked before, but forgotten: which lab do you work at? and what's your next experiment?

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wesley snypes posted:

i've asked before, but forgotten: which lab do you work at? and what's your next experiment?

he works at the eschaton and is going to immanentize it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

StarkingBarfish posted:

This.

c00l

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like the warning sign they use at CERN to signify that helium leaks are possible in an area

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

excuse me I'm going to have to see your beam permit

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Silver Alicorn posted:

I like the warning sign they use at CERN to signify that helium leaks are possible in an area

what the gently caress is that supposed to signify, a dude getting drowsy?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Yodzilla posted:

a physicist suck he own dick

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I think it's supposed to be along the lines of "helium makes you fall unconscious so if you see a guy slumped over get out now"

but of course it looks more like

bump_fn posted:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yodzilla posted:

drat, my dick is HUGE

Also lol @ Anatoli Bugorski

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoli_Bugorski

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them