Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I'm a sick gently caress who'd play a game like that if it came out.

Knock yourself out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Planning a trip in November that involves a round-trip Transpacific flight. Who's sky miles program should I sign up for, or should I just sign up for all of them just in case?

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
I had the best tea break at work yesterday - nearly had a coffee at the Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop yesterday, but got a bit distracted...

First thing I noticed was a lineup of current helis sitting just inside the airfield boundary - there was some sort of graduation event going on earlier in the day (lucky me!)

Apache

Bell 212

Gazelle

Squirrel

Then on into the museum proper...

Sopwith Camel from the RFC days

Some old helicopters...
SARO Skeeter

Westland Scout

Bristol Sycamore, with DHC Beaver behind

Something from one of the minor Armies of the western world... ;)

The venerable Chipmunk

DHC Beaver again...

Auster AOP.9

Cessna O-1 Bird Dog

Large display of WW2 gliders - The Hotspur

Horsa

Hadrain

And some other odds and sods...
Helicopter Jeeps

Armoured cars

and a ZSU-23

Lots of other displays and exhibits round the museum, easy to kill an hour, even easier to kill 3 or 4!! Now to see if I can get some jobs up round the RAF Museum...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That Horsa is in rough shape.

Any info on it? I reenact as a British Airlanding regiment.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Planning a trip in November that involves a round-trip Transpacific flight. Who's sky miles program should I sign up for, or should I just sign up for all of them just in case?

The obvious answer of course is whichever carrier you're on.

US flagged transpacific will be Delta or United, both of which have extensive code share agreements in east Asia and have a hub at Tokyo Narita.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Colonial Air Force posted:

That Horsa is in rough shape.

Any info on it? I reenact as a British Airlanding regiment.

The board in front was just a general history of the type - there was nothing specific I can recall about the exhibit itself...

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

reddeathdrinker posted:

The board in front was just a general history of the type - there was nothing specific I can recall about the exhibit itself...

Google suggests there are 2.5 Horsa airframes at that museum, 2 Mk IIs, and 1 cockpit from a Mk I. The cockpit and 2nd airframe appear to be in much better condition based on image searches. However, an image search also suggests that that rust-red airframe is one that has previously been displayed based on it's action on D-day, so that probably explains why it's on display despite being in not-too-good condition.

The museum's most WTF worthy exhibit is one I'm surprised you didn't include a photo of...

An artillary shell *caught near the highest point of it's ballistic curve, while almost stationary, at 8000 feet* by a WW1 airborne spotter.

:wth:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

SybilVimes posted:

Google suggests there are 2.5 Horsa airframes at that museum, 2 Mk IIs, and 1 cockpit from a Mk I. The cockpit and 2nd airframe appear to be in much better condition based on image searches. However, an image search also suggests that that rust-red airframe is one that has previously been displayed based on it's action on D-day, so that probably explains why it's on display despite being in not-too-good condition.

The museum's most WTF worthy exhibit is one I'm surprised you didn't include a photo of...

An artillary shell *caught near the highest point of it's ballistic curve, while almost stationary, at 8000 feet* by a WW1 airborne spotter.

Balls of steel to reach out and grab it. Motherfucking steel.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SybilVimes posted:

When men were men, women were men, and kids died by the armload.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
To see it within arms reach would be the most surreal loving thing

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Lufthansa to allow falcons on Airlines with certain restrictions.
http://www.today.com/money/lufthansa-gives-falcons-seat-upgrade-1D80347940

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
My mom took a nice photo of this dude's falcon chilling just next to her at a gate in DXB a month ago, and the bird was completely chilled out on the flight to Doha too, so hey so why not. Predators on a plane.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wait, didn't shells back then have a timed fuse so they would explode over the ground and shower the area with shrapnel?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Eej posted:

Wait, didn't shells back then have a timed fuse so they would explode over the ground and shower the area with shrapnel?

Not neccessarily. Different shells for different uses-shrapnel for infantry, impact for fortifications, etc.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Could you tell just by looking at them? It feels like that shell grab could've easily just led to a plane exploding in mid air for seemingly no reason.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Eej posted:

Could you tell just by looking at them? It feels like that shell grab could've easily just led to a plane exploding in mid air for seemingly no reason.

In theory, yes, the fuse and shell would be colour coded just like the different types of round are today. If you knew the german coding you could tell what type of ammo it was.

TBH the whole story is dodgy as gently caress, but I'm not gonna accuse the british army of lying :D

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SybilVimes posted:

TBH the whole story is dodgy as gently caress, but I'm not gonna accuse the british army of lying :D

Was going to say...

quote:

*caught near the highest point of it's ballistic curve, while almost stationary, at 8000 feet*

...any projectile on a true ballistic arc doesn't slow down enough to be considered anywhere close to stationary. Not unless the artillery guys were shooting nearly vertical anyways.

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/caught-on-tape-ual-flight-lands-at-dia-after-blowing-tire-on-take-off

Dash 8 with issues? What a surprise.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I don't know anything about the ballistics of the artillery of the day. Could it have been almost stationary relative to an airplane on the right vector?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I don't know anything about the ballistics of the artillery of the day. Could it have been almost stationary relative to an airplane on the right vector?

No, because even at the peak of the arc, the projectile would maintain its speed, it would just no longer gain altitude.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CommieGIR posted:

No, because even at the peak of the arc, the projectile would maintain its speed, it would just no longer gain altitude.

Relative to the airplane would be the key part in that question, if the horizontal speed and direction were sufficiently similar to that of the airplane it would be technically possible.

Seems like it would be struck by lightning while winning the lottery level odds, but less likely things have happened.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Geoj posted:

...any projectile on a true ballistic arc doesn't slow down enough to be considered anywhere close to stationary. Not unless the artillery guys were shooting nearly vertical anyways.

You mean like a WWI trench mortar? I don't recognize the shell though, so I don't know what fired it. But they did a lot of improvising.

wolrah posted:

Seems like it would be struck by lightning while winning the lottery level odds, but less likely things have happened.

Actually, in-flight artillery shells were so thick that they posed a serious hazard for pilots. During major bombardments the trenches were no-fly zones because it was very likely you would eat a shell.

I still call bullshit on it too though

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 15, 2015

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
To reach that height at a 45 degree launch angle, the projectile would have to have a muzzle velocity of around 310m/s. Given those parameters it would have an horizontal velocity of about 219m/s (310 * cos(45)), or 788km/h, not even remotely in the flight envelope of a WWI aircraft. This is discounting drag but it would make enough difference to be plausible.

To be plausible it would need a trajectory of at the very least 75 degree as that translates to a 200km/h horizontal velocity. But that gives you a range of of 2700 meters. No WWI mortar had that kind of range as far as i know and normal artillery is incapable of firing at that angle.

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 15, 2015

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Kafouille, you're not accounting for atmospheric drag, which is substantial at that velocity.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Captain Postal posted:

Actually, in-flight artillery shells were so thick that they posed a serious hazard for pilots. During major bombardments the trenches were no-fly zones because it was very likely you would eat a shell.

Being in the same place as a shell at the same time is different from having one travelling so close to the same speed and direction as to be catchable by a human.

The shell had to be in the supposed catcher's general area for a few seconds to have this happen. Let's say within 2.5 feet horizontal for 3 seconds That's just a number I pulled out of my rear end, so no argument if it turns out I'm wrong there. Anyways, going with that and since I'm too lazy to do the math trusting Kafouille's speed number of 200 km/h, it would have to be within reach for about 500 feet, so that makes for a heading within 0.28 degrees of that of the plane. Combine that with having to hit the same altitude as the plane within about the same tolerance and it's orders of magnitude less likely than the shell simply hitting a plane somewhere along its trajectory with enough force to cause damage.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Landing gear issues? In my Dash 8? It's more likely than you think!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Let's clarify something though: as a museum exhibit that thing does a fantastic job of putting an image in someone's head.

The normal person isn't going to give it two thoughts, until you explain a pilot caught that at the top of its ballistic arc as a loving artillery shell next to an airplane. Much better then "hey people shot that thing at someone else 90 years ago"

Sometimes it's better to sidestep the science and enjoy the craziness.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Edit: I'm a dumbass

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 15, 2015

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Mortabis posted:

Kafouille, you're not accounting for atmospheric drag, which is substantial at that velocity.

Alright, then lets account for drag. The projectile in question seems rather comparable to it so lets use the French modele 1897 75mm howitzer.

Going from Wikipedia, it had a max elevation of 18 degrees and a range of around 8500m. To reach that range at that elevation you need an average velocity of 380m/s, reaching an apogee of 700 meters, giving us a traveled distance of about 8610 meters . Muzzle velocity was 500m/s. That gives us a loss averaging 14m/s per kilometer (This is a rather rough approximation but it still gives us a ballpark) so lets scale that to our problem.
Our theorical projectile has an apogee of 8000 feet as per the story, or 2.43 kilometers, giving an approximate 11 kilometers traveled. That gives me an average loss, for the same projectile, of around 9,2 m/s per kilometer. Half the distance traveled is 5.5km, so thats a total drag loss up to the apogee of 50m/s, or a muzzle velocity of 360m/s.

And having done all this i realise it's completely useless since air drag would only alter the shape of the trajectory, the velocity at the apogee would be the same since its the midpoint of travel energy wise, not range wise. But whatever :spergin: at least i have a ballpark MV for my made up gun that fires at 45 degrees.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
:spergin: Muzzle Velocity is velocity at the muzzle of the weapon. In-flight v is just that, velocity. :spergin:

At the end of the day, it's a cool story. Also, you're still not accounting for 1 in a million poo poo like elevation controls failing, 1 in a thousand poo poo like powder charge being a dud, etc. There's a few hundred ways that this could've happened-all of them are unlikely as all hell, but that's why there's the one shell in a museum, and not a proud history of WW1 fliers intercepting artillery barrages by snatching em out of the air.

E: Or, poo poo, an ammo magazine getting hit and a round going vertically from a cook-off. Or a dud shell taking a weird bounce, etc.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 15, 2015

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A Qantas aerial display for the F1 Melbourne Grand Prix a short while ago:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Naturally Selected posted:

:spergin: Muzzle Velocity is velocity at the muzzle of the weapon. In-flight v is just that, velocity. :spergin:

At the end of the day, it's a cool story. Also, you're still not accounting for 1 in a million poo poo like elevation controls failing, 1 in a thousand poo poo like powder charge being a dud, etc. There's a few hundred ways that this could've happened-all of them are unlikely as all hell, but that's why there's the one shell in a museum, and not a proud history of WW1 fliers intercepting artillery barrages by snatching em out of the air.

E: Or, poo poo, an ammo magazine getting hit and a round going vertically from a cook-off. Or a dud shell taking a weird bounce, etc.

Or a pilot grabbing a shell out of the armory before going flying so he can come back with a badass story. :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I prefer to believe the airplane probably got hit by the shell, which wedged between the pilot's legs. After making GBS threads himself (blame the Castor oil), he landed very gently, and handed it to the wide-eyed ground crew. When asked where he got it, he replies "why, I plucked it straight out of the air, old chap!", and shuffles off to the debriefing room to pass out.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
This.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Or a pilot grabbing a shell out of the armory before going flying so he can come back with a badass story. :v:

Or this.

Linedance posted:

I prefer to believe the airplane probably got hit by the shell, which wedged between the pilot's legs. After making GBS threads himself (blame the Castor oil), he landed very gently, and handed it to the wide-eyed ground crew. When asked where he got it, he replies "why, I plucked it straight out of the air, old chap!", and shuffles off to the debriefing room to pass out.

Still an awesome story though

marumaru
May 20, 2013

drunkill posted:

A Qantas aerial display for the F1 Melbourne Grand Prix a short while ago:

Makes me wonder how cool it would be to see a very low pass of some huge gently caress like a A380 or 747 at full throttle. :allears:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Linedance posted:

This is completely believable, since the whole "hit an airplane and got stuck without exploding" is exactly how the Russians ended up copying the AIM-9 Sidewinder into the AA-2/K-13.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Godholio posted:

This is completely believable, since the whole "hit an airplane and got stuck without exploding" is exactly how the Russians ended up copying the AIM-9 Sidewinder into the AA-2/K-13.
This is a story that needs to be told. I'm guessing Vietnam?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Linedance posted:

That I could see.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Tsuru posted:

Earlier than that. Taiwan Strait Crisis, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Tsuru posted:

Good guidance, poor fuzing.