Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Bravely Default is my absolute favorite Final Fantasy, has my favorite JRPG combat system, and I will go against the tide and say that the third act of the game that EVERYONE hates is actually genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Semper Fudge posted:

Bravely Default is my absolute favorite Final Fantasy, has my favorite JRPG combat system, and I will go against the tide and say that the third act of the game that EVERYONE hates is actually genius.

I will stand with you on this.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

an ambitious claim

you've got guts

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
sj is really good

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
i gave up on strange journey at that insane teleporter maze so i dunno maybe it's good underneath all that insanity but it broke me

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Semper Fudge posted:

I hated the last part of BD so much I haven't even beaten it, and I've beaten some really bad JRPGs (like good ol FFXIII for instance). Maybe some day I'll go back and finish it, but probably not.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I've been playing through it at work and I'm digging it so far, but I also went in knowing the two big twists, so we'll see how I hold up when I get there. (I'm still in chapter 3 because I have been abusing JP grinding in the undead fort.)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The demo of Bravely Default was like 6 hours long so I just beat that and considered that a good enough experience

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

i gave up on strange journey at that insane teleporter maze so i dunno maybe it's good underneath all that insanity but it broke me

Your talking about Eden right? That's where I left off too.

I think I'm going to pick it back up again soon though. I found the plot to be bizzarely compelling.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're trying to play BD or are thinking about it at some point, DO NOT ATTEMPT FOR THE TRUE ENDING. The ending is the same regardless, basically. It will still lead into BD2, you're not missing anything important like a Suikoden or Persona 4 style ending.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Can someone post a spoiler about the contentious part of Bravely Default?

I heard something like you just keep repeating the same dungeons?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

nuru posted:

Can someone post a spoiler about the contentious part of Bravely Default?

I heard something like you just keep repeating the same dungeons?

Getting to the true ending requires that you redo four dungeons and their bosses, all of which you've already been through previously in the game, 4 times in a row. You can get through them pretty fast if you turn off random encounters, but it's still kinda tedious.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the last four chapters of the game are you more or less repeating the first four chapters four times. so you go through the crystal dungeons and fight their bosses 5 times each throughout the course of the game. in chapters 5 and 6, the sidequest bosses you get new jobs from are the same too, just stronger, while starting in chapter 7 they start fighting you in new and different arrangements.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
So if I had to pick just one, SMT 4 or Etrian Odyssey 4? I liked plenty of the past iterations for both series.

Nothing I've seen about BD looks too compelling but maybe someday.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

as it stands if you cut chapters 5 and 6 the whole thing could have been salvaged into something good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

When you get to the very obvious point where everyone is talking about, you have to ask yourself: Do I like boss fights and different they can be? Do I want to do Knights-of-the-Round type quests? Do I want to know more about the world and characters? Then you might be okay trying to get to the true ending.

Honestly the thing that definitely annoys even me is the crystal section. They should've just made that a 2 second re-cap instead of 2 minutes repeated.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

So if I had to pick just one, SMT 4 or Etrian Odyssey 4? I liked plenty of the past iterations for both series.

Etrian Odyssey 4, if you're not biased towards a particular series

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The last four chapters of Bravely Default are mostly noteworthy for the optional boss fights, which are fun and good. The few parts of them that are actually mandatory are trivialized if you make use of the fact that the game allows you to disable all random encounters from the options menu. More games should give you the option to skip anything you want. Only the true ending unlocks New Game+, which you'll want if you like the gameplay, as the later jobs are interesting at low levels too.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

So I could play BD and avoid all that by just getting the normal ending?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

nuru posted:

So I could play BD and avoid all that by just getting the normal ending?

The true ending is just an extension, the journey to getting it is basically figuring out why everything's happening but ultimately it's the same thing. It's like people recommending to not try and get the true ending of FF10-2 which is the ultimate bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

The true ending is just an extension, the journey to getting it is basically figuring out why everything's happening but ultimately it's the same thing. It's like people recommending to not try and get the true ending of FF10-2 which is the ultimate bullshit.

No it isn't. BD's true ending specifically introduces and deals with the true antagonist and ends on a very different note from the normal ending. In particular I'm pretty sure you don't end up with Tiz in the same state as in BD's True Ending.

You can just read that stuff online but it's pretty disingenuous to claim that Bravely Second will continue off either ending when the trailer specifically involves comatose post-Celestial Tiz which doesn't even come up in the normal ending.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 15, 2015

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

That's some really poo poo looking animation, if you look at the face of the girl she got two mouths, because they were to lazy to redraw the face. It's this kind of sloppiness that turn me off games sometimes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's from an anime

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

tyhat's some really poo poo animation, if you look at the face of the girl she got two mouths, because they were to lazy to redraw the face. It's this kind of sloppiness that turn me off games sometimes.

... that's from an actual anime, not the video game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I loved the second half because I liked the way it turns into a playground for the increasingly elaborate and powerful job combos, but if you miss the entire point of the game and just want to get through it, you should not hesitate to take full advantage of the ability to turn the random encounters off.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Doesn't matter, it is the perfect example of sloppy poo poo that I see sometime in jrpg. There was a scene in .hack with the same quality of animation. It is even more shameful that this is coming from an actual show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

Doesn't matter, it is the perfect example of sloppy poo poo that I see sometime in jrpg. There was a scene in .hack with the same quality of animation. It is even more shameful that this is coming from an actual show.

Are you talking about animated cutscenes in games or something? Otherwise what you're saying is completely incoherent.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bleusilences posted:

That's just the reality of shows that are super-budget even compared to other TV anime. It's not meant to be a quality product in itself, it's basically a long commercial for the videogame. The Persona 4 anime had some pretty loving bad animation and drawing too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Motto posted:

The Persona 4 anime had some pretty loving bad animation and drawing too.

Double Chie was amazing.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Are you talking about animated cutscenes in games or something? Otherwise what you're saying is completely incoherent.

Animated cutscene, I don't know sometimes I am just picky.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Motto posted:

That's just the reality of shows that are super-budget even compared to other TV anime. It's not meant to be a quality product in itself, it's basically a long commercial for the videogame. The Persona 4 anime had some pretty loving bad animation and drawing too.

All of anime is a long commercial for the manga hth

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

some are commercials for light novels and visual novels too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Double Chie was amazing.

:drat:

Motto posted:

The real litmus is the DVD/BD release, because the animators actually have time to go back and clean up their fuckups.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

I was talking mostly about a news segment inside the G.U series that had a guy talking and they have a big close up on some guy face that talk for a little while and didn't bother to animate the face moving. That's why I miss old game, at least they where blob and you had to use your imagination to fill in the details.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

All of anime is a long commercial for the manga hth

That's true, though I've never been completely clear on how that works, since my understanding is that manga is relatively mainstream while anime has a much smaller audience of children and/or loser manchildren. I guess it's to attract children to the kids stuff like Level 5 games, and also gain the notice of the obsessive otaku who will buy BDs and a ton of merch until ~their waifu~ looks at a guy and they burn it all?

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 15, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

RUNE FACTORY 4

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Oh poo poo I didnt know they made this- obviously the only choice, thanks !

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is a good answer.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Echoing this because it owns and was arguably the best RPG of 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

I hope you like dragons cause now you're BFFs with one <3