Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

If I wanted to watch a movie about 1950s-ish teens dealing with a horrible monster/mutants/aliens/etc what are some good options? Bonus points for rock and roll.

Village of the Giants is early 60s but has little Ronnie Howard and music by the Beau Brummells

Teenagers From Outer Space is a slam-dunk for that, too.

Attack of the the Eye Creatures

Horror of Party Beach

Take a good look at American International Pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I think The Giant Gila Monster is the de facto '50s 'rock 'n' roll teens versus the monster' movie. It's basically The Blod, except more radical and without a trace of any tongue-in-cheek self-awareness.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Watching Days of Heaven, and I love that Richard Gere has perfectly coiffed hair even when playing a 1920s steel worker

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

morestuff posted:

Watching Days of Heaven, and I love that Richard Gere has perfectly coiffed hair even when playing a 1920s steel worker

Still one of my favorite movies of all time.

And Dark Passage is really loving good.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I really like the 50's The Blob, it's a good movie

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Still one of my favorite movies of all time.

I liked it a lot, though I had to turn on subtitles for that mush-mouthed little dweeb's narration

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

morestuff posted:

I liked it a lot, though I had to turn on subtitles for that mush-mouthed little dweeb's narration

I got the Ennio Morricone score, and the mush-mouthed little dweeb's opening narration is thankfully included:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpjjpAt1ZYA

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MisterBibs posted:

PI day is less annoying because you're not going to become an obnoxious mess to everyone around you if you overdo it on the pie.

I think you severely underestimate how annoying nerds who don't drink, on a sugar rush, can be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

morestuff posted:

People looking inappropriately pristine is both one of my biggest pet peeves and a huge indicator of the material's quality. Smallville and AVP come to mind. You gotta have GRIT drat it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

People looking inappropriately pristine is both one of my biggest pet peeves and a huge indicator of the material's quality. Smallville and AVP come to mind. You gotta have GRIT drat it.

I think his hair just does that, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

morestuff posted:

I think his hair just does that, though.

It's not an absolute rule, I'm just bringing it up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

If I wanted to watch a movie about 1950s-ish teens dealing with a horrible monster/mutants/aliens/etc what are some good options? Bonus points for rock and roll.

I think I Was A Teenage Werewolf kicks rear end.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Swagger Dagger posted:

I really like the 50's The Blob, it's a good movie

:agreed:

Also: Bones, Re-Animator + Eurotrash Techno.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

My girlfriend hasn't seen a lot of movies so I've slowly been showing her the classics here and there. Werner Herzog happened to come up in conversation today and she was interested because I was talking about how he's all about exploration and deplores tourists, and now she wants to watch some of his stuff.

What's a good first Herzog for somebody who's not big into film? I'm not sure if Aguirre is too out there or not.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

C'mon man

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TrixRabbi posted:

My girlfriend hasn't seen a lot of movies so I've slowly been showing her the classics here and there. Werner Herzog happened to come up in conversation today and she was interested because I was talking about how he's all about exploration and deplores tourists, and now she wants to watch some of his stuff.

What's a good first Herzog for somebody who's not big into film? I'm not sure if Aguirre is too out there or not.

My first Herzog was Grizzly Man. Grizzly Man owns.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

TrixRabbi posted:

Get her into the "idea" of Herzog as a person or as a character first, I think it helps... ground? some of his movies.

His documentaries, Incident At Loch Ness, Jack Reacher, My Best Fiend.

edit: then make her watch that behind the scenes bit with him talking about how the jungle is obscene.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TrixRabbi posted:

I'd go with Encounters at the End of the World. It's recent, not too heavy, and it fulfills the criteria you were talking about. Also an excellent introduction to Herzog's lovely Bavarian lilt.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TrixRabbi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWh6PMi9Ek

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Stroszek, Fitzcarraldo, Little Dieter Needs To Fly and Grizzly Man all might be decent gateways.

It's a hard impersonation to screw up but this dude manages it somehow

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

TrixRabbi posted:

After watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMo4WlBmGM

I was completely on board with him, but for a normal person I'd probably say Cave of Forgotten Dreams (a bit boring), Encounters at the End of the World, and Grizzly Man. After a couple of those, Incident at Loch Ness. But these all ingratiate you to the man himself, more than him as a director.

Bad Lieutenant requires a love of Nic Cage and open-mindedness to David Lynch-type stuff, and My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done requires you to have run out of Lynch content but still starving for more to enjoy. I love both, but what are some other films of his I should watch?

This is kind of all I've seen besides Nosferatu.

I hear Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre mentioned alot but haven't checked them out yet, because they sound daunting in a way because they were daunting to make.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 15, 2015

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Aguirre is a no-brainer Great FilmTM that's only 93 minutes long. Get to it already.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Ex Machina was some drat fine filmmaking. I have a feeling it's going to sparking some hilariously and at times excruciatingly nerdy conversations in this subforum.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is Drive Angry Good-Good, Bad-Good, or Bad-Bad?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

MisterBibs posted:

Good-Good.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

MisterBibs posted:

Movie I kinda like.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

It's grrreat.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Bad-bad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geekboy posted:

Actually, Pug Dredd was apparently created by Douglas Wolk.

Yeah I don't read the IDW books so I wasn't sure who was on it, I just know Arthur writes for the Megazine and sometimes the main mag and is also someone I know who lives in the PacNW area.

Skywalker OG posted:

After watching this:

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QhMo4WlBmGM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was completely on board with him, but for a normal person I'd probably say Cave of Forgotten Dreams (a bit boring), Encounters at the End of the World, and Grizzly Man. After a couple of those, Incident at Loch Ness. But these all ingratiate you to the man himself, more than him as a director.

Bad Lieutenant requires a love of Nic Cage and open-mindedness to David Lynch-type stuff, and My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done requires you to have run out of Lynch content but still starving for more to enjoy. I love both, but what are some other films of his I should watch?

This is kind of all I've seen besides Nosferatu.

I hear Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre mentioned alot but haven't checked them out yet, because they sound daunting in a way because they were daunting to make.

Learn to embed youtube videos you ding dang nerd, just c/p the URL into the reply box. It took me five minutes to figure out what was going on with this post.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

Yeah I don't read the IDW books so I wasn't sure who was on it, I just know Arthur writes for the Megazine and sometimes the main mag and is also someone I know who lives in the PacNW area.

Learn to embed youtube videos you ding dang nerd, just c/p the URL into the reply box. It took me five minutes to figure out what was going on with this post.

poo poo, sorry. I thought just dropping in the 'Embed Youtube Video' link would do it, but just dropping in the normal URL is the way to go.

E: Race with the Devil is loving dope.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Bad Trailer of the Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8mDXfrG1EM

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Only one other motherfucker has mentioned Stroszek so far.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
theyshootpictures.com just put up their yearly top 1,000 list, and the generation shift is making me feel old.
It's a list of the most cited, not, like, a subjective measure of quality, so, like, I KNOW that Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes still deserve to be on the list, but aren't, because people just don't talk about them anymore. Meanwhile Audition and Avatar are on it for the first year ever, so I guess I have to finally watch Avatar at some point. :( I'm thinking about starting a grassroots effort to get people to recognize Joe's Apartment for the masterpiece it is, though. gently caress that movie is so good and I don't care, no, you're wrong, it totally is.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
You are under no obligation to watch Avatar.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MisterBibs posted:

Drive Angry is that good good.

Y'all, I saw Bassnectar live tonight and it was fun as gently caress. If I were an epileptic, I probably would have died over and over again. There were so many people jam packed together in that crowd that I had zero personal space but I was actually totally okay with that in context.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Discount Viscount posted:

To celebrate, make one guacamole of dip (a guacamole is 6.022 x 10^23 dip particles [Avocado's number])

I remember just enough of high school physics (gently caress! Over 20 years ago) to appreciate this joke.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Drive Angry is that good good.

Y'all, I saw Bassnectar live tonight and it was fun as gently caress. If I were an epileptic, I probably would have died over and over again. There were so many people jam packed together in that crowd that I had zero personal space but I was actually totally okay with that in context.

I saw Bassnectar at Free Press Summer Fest 2013 in Houston and it kicked rear end. Similar impressions, except multiply the crowd by about twenty because it was the last show of the entire festival and basically everyone who was still there packed into the stage area.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I saw Bassnectar at Free Press Summer Fest 2013 in Houston and it kicked rear end. Similar impressions, except multiply the crowd by about twenty because it was the last show of the entire festival and basically everyone who was still there packed into the stage area.
Yessssss. There were a ton of people all crammed together here too. I don't know how many thousand, but people as far as the eye could see in multiple directions. I was like...10 or 15 rows from the stage, I guess, so it was pretty gnarly being that close.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I was something like fifty rows back, I had to fight to get even that far (and I showed up to the stage like 30 minutes before he came on), and it stretched out for a fuckton more back (especially when Gogol Bordello's set ended and everyone who was watching them crammed in too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

If I wanted to watch a movie about 1950s-ish teens dealing with a horrible monster/mutants/aliens/etc what are some good options?

Starship Troopers.

• Locked thread