Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm sorry but if you don't think making "hugging strangers for three hours for totally non-sexual reasons guys this is totally just hugging and stuff totally platonic its for chemical reasons there's absolutely nothing sexual about it" a significant part of who you are is at least kinda creepy you might be broken too.

I was listening to the latest Lou Reads episode and when he read the phrase "puppy play is not my fetish, it's an integral part of who I am" I heard an almost audible "Ding!" in my head. Broken person alert going off!

RareAcumen posted:

that looks like how I imagine frat parties ending

all it needs are plastic red cups all over the place and it'd be a perfect comparison

This is also how raves usually end, only in this case there is no MDMA involved.

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'll admit I didn't really laugh much during this episode, but you know what, that's okay. Sometimes there are dud episodes, y'all. Let's just go listen to F Plus Sings and the John Kitchin episode again.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

BKPR posted:

I liked the constant oxytocin talk. It reads like someone who needs an excuse to reconcile enjoying stranger cuddling, or like someone who doesn't enjoy it but is convinced it's good for them anyway.

I liked all the Oxytocin talk too, but mostly because I kept thinking Oxycontin instead whenever it was brought up.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

RareAcumen posted:

all it needs are plastic red cups all over the place and it'd be a perfect comparison

Close but if it was a frat party everything would be covered with cum and or feces

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Haruharuharuko posted:

Close but if it was a frat party everything would be covered with cum and or feces

If it's a Christian fraternity, replace feces with blood.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I thought frat parties usually ended with either rape charges or a racism scandal.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i liked it when they read the things by the people that were funny

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I stog it when they read the stog from the stog that are stog

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The episode that broke the F+

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It is legit really weird how all the screeds selling this idea are about how adults are apparently not allowed to have physical contact without loving. Like, no? That's just not really true and if you had friends you would know that friends hug and poo poo, it's no big deal to functioning adults(keyword functioning). There's not really some huge impassable social wall there.

The saddest part about it was that one guy who after thinking about how he was only into doing this with women was like "but is it... at all possible that it's sometimes a sexual thing?" because he was so close to realizing that yes, it is and it's sorta hosed up but you know that a hundred other guys came in and told him no, of course not, it's all above the level.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I feel like part of the thing with a cuddle party is that the demographic makeup is going to be super skewed compared to the normal population. A random selection of people in the same general age range cuddling is like, okay. A selection of people who have self-selected as "I want to be in a cuddle party" is something else.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Djeser posted:

I feel like part of the thing with a cuddle party is that the demographic makeup is going to be super skewed compared to the normal population. A random selection of people in the same general age range cuddling is like, okay.

Well, not really, because a random group of well adjusted adult people won't just lie on the ground on a pile on account of it not being a thing done by most well-adjusted adults, which is why it's a good episode topic.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I find the whole culture around how cuddling is the greatest thing ever really weird. It's not that there's anything wrong with cuddling but the Internet has started treating it like The New Sex™ and I find the elevation of it super weird.

It's almost like the internet can't like something without making it out to be the greatest thing ever.

The episode had some amazing jokes though, I laughed quite a lot at the whole "I always greet my friends by giving them a blowjob" thing.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Added Space posted:

A lot of it stems from Lemon, who thinks that a lot of people are hiding nefarious and violent motives behind their odd quirks. You might say it's a joke most of the time, but sometimes he sounds dead serious. Such as the end of the Plush Lovers episodes, where he said with apparent seriousness that people were dangerously violent because they cut a hole in a plush animal one time and had completely non-violent fantasies about inanimate objects.

I agree about Lemon a little bit, but come on, man: these people were taking something that wasn't meant to be a sexual object, declaring it the love of their life, stabbing it open with a knife and then loving it. That's pretty drat violent.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Bean posted:

I agree about Lemon a little bit, but come on, man: these people were taking something that wasn't meant to be a sexual object, declaring it the love of their life, stabbing it open with a knife and then loving it. That's pretty drat violent.

:words:

Not really. Violence requires an intent to harm. The people never harmed or intended to harm any person as far as I could tell. They never intended to destroy the objects of their affection, simply arrange things so they were more convenient. There was another F-Plus which did feature people getting sexual gratification from destroying toys, the language was quite different. Even then there was no evidence of intent to harm towards any person, only inanimate objects.

What these people experience is a fantasy they are engaged with to an unhealthy degree, similar to godspouses. It's a common claim that people too involved in fantasy become violent, but there is little consistent evidence of this. Even when the fantasy itself is violent (the old canard about violent video games producing super-violent teens) there seems to be little crossover into actual violence. People who like to fantasize remain in their fantasies, and people who like to be violent commit violence, and there's relatively little overlap. A person with a taste for one finds little sustenance in the other.

They even explained in the episode the excuses the person would make: turn off the fantasy for a few minutes, imagine it as harmless cosmetic surgery, etc. They are probably not framing the act mentally as violent. "Oh, but couldn't they easily do that to people as well as plush?" you exclaim. Not really - their plush companion is almost entirely a voluntary mental construct in their own mind, which they imagine is eager to go along with all this. The object itself provides very little sensory feedback and no resistance. A human would be pumping out lots of sensory feedback which would be sending powerful "STOP THAT" signals to the offender's brain, and presumably quite a bit of resistance.

Now it's possible that a person could get off on the resistance and sensory feedback of violence - there are certainly people who do. However, if that's what got them off, that's what they would fantasize about. If they were interested in violence, they wouldn't be bothering with this plush nonsense.

Now there are kinds of mental illness, most famously schizophrenia, which do involve imagined other personalities and which do often lead to violence. However, that's not what's happening here. Plush lovers have all the hallmarks of fantasy, where their imagined lovers agree with them, are comforting and supportive, and can be turned off at will. Schizophenics are highly disturbed by voices they can't control, which are often perceived as threatening and abusive, and cannot be ignored or turned off.

The only way I can see to get from "They cut a piece of cloth, therefore they would stab a human" is either to make the unsupported claim that fantasy leads to violence, or to commit to the fallacy of composition by saying "Some mentally ill people are violent, therefore all mentally ill people are violent."

edit: vvvv I'm not saying that they would be pleasant to be around, that anyone should enter a relationship with them, or that it's not right to make fun of them. Just that they're not secretly serial killers. :shrug:

Added Space fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 15, 2015

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I liked it better when the few posts in this topic were when an new episode came out. Defendin' dudes who cut open plushies to gently caress 'em is... not where I want this thread to be.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Added Space posted:

Not really. Violence requires an intent to harm. The people never harmed or intended to harm any person as far as I could tell. They never intended to destroy the objects of their affection, simply arrange things so they were more convenient. There was another F-Plus which did feature people getting sexual gratification from destroying toys, the language was quite different. Even then there was no evidence of intent to harm towards any person, only inanimate objects.

What these people experience is a fantasy they are engaged with to an unhealthy degree, similar to godspouses. It's a common claim that people too involved in fantasy become violent, but there is little consistent evidence of this. Even when the fantasy itself is violent (the old canard about violent video games producing super-violent teens) there seems to be little crossover into actual violence. People who like to fantasize remain in their fantasies, and people who like to be violent commit violence, and there's relatively little overlap. A person with a taste for one finds little sustenance in the other.

They even explained in the episode the excuses the person would make: turn off the fantasy for a few minutes, imagine it as harmless cosmetic surgery, etc. They are probably not framing the act mentally as violent. "Oh, but couldn't they easily do that to people as well as plush?" you exclaim. Not really - their plush companion is almost entirely a voluntary mental construct in their own mind, which they imagine is eager to go along with all this. The object itself provides very little sensory feedback and no resistance. A human would be pumping out lots of sensory feedback which would be sending powerful "STOP THAT" signals to the offender's brain, and presumably quite a bit of resistance.

Now it's possible that a person could get off on the resistance and sensory feedback of violence - there are certainly people who do. However, if that's what got them off, that's what they would fantasize about. If they were interested in violence, they wouldn't be bothering with this plush nonsense.

Now there are kinds of mental illness, most famously schizophrenia, which do involve imagined other personalities and which do often lead to violence. However, that's not what's happening here. Plush lovers have all the hallmarks of fantasy, where their imagined lovers agree with them, are comforting and supportive, and can be turned off at will. Schizophenics are highly disturbed by voices they can't control, which are often perceived as threatening and abusive, and cannot be ignored or turned off.

The only way I can see to get from "They cut a piece of cloth, therefore they would stab a human" is either to make the unsupported claim that fantasy leads to violence, or to commit to the fallacy of composition by saying "Some mentally ill people are violent, therefore all mentally ill people are violent."

edit: vvvv I'm not saying that they would be pleasant to be around, that anyone should enter a relationship with them, or that it's not right to make fun of them. Just that they're not secretly serial killers. :shrug:

Or maybe it's just that these guys are really creepy and the amount of times they use the word 'mother' is reminiscent of Norman Bates. Because I don't think anyone besides you is bringing up the idea that plushophiles cutting a gently caress hole in a stuffed animal is going to lead to them doing it in real life...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Or maybe the serial killer accusation wasn't entirely serious but a hyperbolic expression of how unsettling their weird poo poo is.

I think you're thinking about this waaaaaaaaaaaay too much, man.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Added Space posted:

I don't think that Lemon thinks that either. Any more than he honestly believes that saying "wee-wee" instead of penis guarantees that someone is a serial killer. It's not "the fallacy of composition"; it's a loving joke in a comedy podcast.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hmm, but what if the plushie fuckers didn't get a fair, respectable treatment, wouldn't it be terrible?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Midnight Voyager posted:

Or maybe the serial killer accusation wasn't entirely serious but a hyperbolic expression of how unsettling their weird poo poo is.

I think you're thinking about this waaaaaaaaaaaay too much, man.

Seriously right before it they were saying how hosed up it was so many posted involved anger to 'motheeeer' so they were making a serial killer joke.

It's almost like the 'anger' or 'shock' is played up, especially by guys like Lemon who saw the document ahead of time and know what's in it.

It's actually about ethics in F-Plus journalism.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
and what's the deal with airline food. I mean, we make these rude jokes about it, but someone had to design the in-flight menu and select the ingredients. Someone had to work at the factory where the food was prepackaged. Someone had to lovingly load it onto the airplane.

I mean yeah, the common conception of airline food is that it's terrible and overpriced, but if you think about it, there's no inherent link between airline food and terribleness. Won't someone think of the airline food. PLEASE, I urge you, stop making fun of airline food, you could hurt someone's feelings and the planet would spin uncontrollably into the sun forever.

well anyway scuse me gonna go cut fuckgashes in my plushwives

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Added Space posted:

hahahahaahahahah

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Sitting Here posted:

and what's the deal with airline food. I mean, we make these rude jokes about it, but someone had to design the in-flight menu and select the ingredients. Someone had to work at the factory where the food was prepackaged. Someone had to lovingly load it onto the airplane.

I mean yeah, the common conception of airline food is that it's terrible and overpriced, but if you think about it, there's no inherent link between airline food and terribleness. Won't someone think of the airline food. PLEASE, I urge you, stop making fun of airline food, you could hurt someone's feelings and the planet would spin uncontrollably into the sun forever.

well anyway scuse me gonna go cut fuckgashes in my plushwives

what's the deal with airplane food, is it made of airplanes?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Djeser posted:

what's the deal with airplane food, is it made of airplanes?

Why can't they make the airplane - out of the food?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Why can't they make the black box out of WOMEN???

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Added Space posted:

Don't you have to source your poo poo for f-plus documents?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Don't you have to source your poo poo for f-plus documents?

Your posts read as very angry, and you are making an effort at jokes but they don't work. Please take a week off of posting to regroup.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Added Space posted:

same

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BKPR posted:

Your posts read as very angry, and you are making an effort at jokes but they don't work. Please take a week off of posting to regroup.

Ahaha nah man.

But seriously doing armchair psychological analysis about the kind of weirdo fetishes the F plus reads about is sadder than most of what the F plus reads about and is probably not good for you. Just chill and laugh at how hosed up Officially Licensed Cuddle Party Overseers are.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

alcharagia posted:

I'll admit I didn't really laugh much during this episode, but you know what, that's okay. Sometimes there are dud episodes, y'all. Let's just go listen to F Plus Sings and the John Kitchin episode again.

Weirdly I thought the John Kitchin episode was a dud, and the cuddle stuff was extremely my poo poo

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

The Chairman posted:

Weirdly I thought the John Kitchin episode was a dud, and the cuddle stuff was extremely my poo poo

You know what, that's okay! You are still a completely valid human being with fine opinions. I disagree with this specific opinion, but whatever makes you laugh is what works for you, buddy. :)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Chairman posted:

I'm actually feeling the same, but the John Kitchin episode might fare better on a re-listen. It's the type of crazy that's really hard to get a hold on; I was just too baffled to laugh at it for the longest time, it's just an impenetrable wall of Crazy Old Man. I know there's funny in there, but I couldn't grab onto it enough to laugh at it.

Cuddle parties are pretty accessible for someone who's got a good grasp on the particular kind of weirdness that spawns both it and a lot of Tumblr's ideas about sex.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

I'm actually feeling the same, but the John Kitchin episode might fare better on a re-listen. It's the type of crazy that's really hard to get a hold on; I was just too baffled to laugh at it for the longest time, it's just an impenetrable wall of Crazy Old Man. I know there's funny in there, but I couldn't grab onto it enough to laugh at it.

Cuddle parties are pretty accessible for someone who's got a good grasp on the particular kind of weirdness that spawns both it and a lot of Tumblr's ideas about sex.

I'm usually doing something else when I first listen to a new episode of the F Plus, so I generally need to listen to them twice before I decide if I really liked them or not. The John Kitchin episode definitely fared better when I listened to it again and could focus more on the individual bits of insanity it contained.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I loved both of them equally, and I seriously considered including both of them in my top ten favorite episodes. On the other hand, it might just have been the contrast in quality after the weird pointlessness of the Luscious one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

John Kitchin at least has the best stinger I've heard so far.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I loved both of them equally, and I seriously considered including both of them in my top ten favorite episodes. On the other hand, it might just have been the contrast in quality after the weird pointlessness of the Luscious one.

I enjoyed Hentaint Misbehavin more than Kitchin but then again I really enjoy hearing Frank West's voice read erotica.

"Oh my god I squirted and came to the max! :o:"

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Kitchin uninterrupted takes some focus for me, much like nanowrimo, it's so all over the place and you gotta follow along as he "connected to dots" to get the full hilarity.

Second time I had to pause 3-4 times to do things, and then I got so much more out of it.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm more into perverts and general nerd un-selfawareness, so the Kitchin episode fell short for me. Luscious one was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
General nerd un selfawareness makes for the best episodes. I should really try to make a Bitcoin document...