Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Toast King posted:

Has anyone got any recommendations for HBG armour around caravan 8*? I've got a 3 slot bowgun and charm so I've got a bit of versatility, I've got no idea what armour to go for though.

I was originally thinking Lagombi for the built in evade distance points, but I just made a blademaster set and it'd be kind of boring looking exactly the same for this too. Any other standouts? I suppose I can always gem in evade dist. if needed, it'll just take up most of my free slots to do it.

I've played through pretty much the entirety of HR with two main sets: Gravios for pierce gunning and more often Ruby Basarios for normal. You can easily fit evasion or sheathing or whatever into Basarios U and it's just incredibly solid. Go online to get two Mohran parts and pair it with the Monodevilcaster+ and you're set for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Black gravios is the great satan. I spent a good portion of the fight not contributing anything because I was on fire.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Ethiser posted:

:kimchi: He just wants to help his hunter buddies.

He also carted me in those 5 minutes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Colapops posted:

He also carted me in those 5 minutes.

He just wants to eat his hunter buddies

Also your avatar owns (even though I hate cattes)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

rajang is my friend

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
What's the general opinion on Sense/Ninja? I've got 9 slots to burn on Regios gunner armor for HBG and I've already got Evade Distance in so I need to put something in there.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Are there any good lists of what non-key quests unlock the various facility upgrades or prompt villager requests?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Circle Nine posted:

9 slots to burn
Regios gunner
already got Evade Distance in

HOW

Also I'm late to Gravios chat but goddamn if a frenzied Black Gravios in the bottom of the volcanic hollow isn't the scariest sight. Just a pitch-black hulking mass of right angles with two glowing red spots. When I first saw it I thought my screen was going awry.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Circle Nine posted:

What's the general opinion on Sense/Ninja? I've got 9 slots to burn on Regios gunner armor for HBG and I've already got Evade Distance in so I need to put something in there.

There's much better options. Get an offensive skill instead.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Sard posted:

HOW

Also I'm late to Gravios chat but goddamn if a frenzied Black Gravios in the bottom of the volcanic hollow isn't the scariest sight. Just a pitch-black hulking mass of right angles with two glowing red spots. When I first saw it I thought my screen was going awry.

Now imagine it was frenzied

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Night Blade posted:

Can someone explain to me the appeal of the Seregios mace that makes Gaijin Hunter endorse it?

Right now, I can make a a Seregios Mace, which has no element but high raw, (the middle version that sits at around 988) or I can use my current weapon which is a Leonid Starcrusher, which has 988 + 200 damage on fire element.

One would appear to be clearly better than the other but aside from the lack of needing Sharpness +1 I don't get it.

The auto-sharpen on rolls thing is seriously good, not just a flavor gimmick, and becomes really really effective with Razor Sharp -- think of it this way, every 5 times you roll will give you ten "free" hits worth of sharpness. The damage bonus you get from that sliver of purple or white sharpness makes up for 200 element damage

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

The auto-sharpen on rolls thing is seriously good, not just a flavor gimmick, and becomes really really effective with Razor Sharp -- think of it this way, every 5 times you roll will give you ten "free" hits worth of sharpness. The damage bonus you get from that sliver of purple or white sharpness makes up for 200 element damage

Purple sharpness is a 1.45 damage multiplier, if I recall correctly; white is next with 1.32, blue is 1.20, green 1.05, and yellow 1.00. Below that... You shouldn't be below that. So, it's huge, yeah. Being able to have purple sharpness for free and at all times is pretty great, especially on weapons with good raw and positive affinity already. The Seregios weapons that aren't too fast to actually utilize their gimmick are pretty great all-around weapons, especialyl since they don't need Sharpness+1/Honed Blade.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

M. Tigrex for G rank is G 3 only right?

Sard posted:

HOW

Ignimbrite posted:

I don't think he needs to imagine,.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Stormgale posted:

M. Tigrex for G rank is G 3 only right?

Right you are. Honestly I wish he was a bit harder. Groups of 4 demolish almost every monster in G3.

Pesayeth
Feb 28, 2015

Ignimbrite posted:

Now imagine there were two of them that followed each other whenever one tried to leave. Definitely one of the more annoying quests and one of only a few I actually had to take a second shot at after completely blowing my first go.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Is there a special requirement for unlocking Molten Tigrex in high rank or is he just one of the cycling advanced quests?

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Circle Nine posted:

I'm a huge fan of sneak personally. I'm a LBG user so I can double it up with a silencer and it makes it so I'm rarely targeted. This is good both offensively and defensively since I'm able to spend more time gunning down a monster rather than having to dodge it constantly. Sure, it's not any more damage on paper, but you'll have more opportunities to shoot, which I think makes it worth it.

It might be especially attractive on an HBG since it lets you spend more time in siege without the monster bothering you.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Celery Face posted:

Is there a special requirement for unlocking Molten Tigrex in high rank or is he just one of the cycling advanced quests?

You need a HR of 50 to unlock it.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Eh, the Serigos SnS is the one that's most difficult to make use of. Typically I do between 4-5 hits per dodge on any given monster, so it's not really worth it to rely on the sharpening gimmick. I like them though, the white sharpness and high raw are really nice when most of what I can make barely has a strip of blue.

speaking of which, I got myself a Rustshard SnS. Should I go for Eternal Strife or Icesteel Dagger. The Daora SnS has some really good stats, but I love the ridiculous Dragon element on the Eternal line -- I can also make the next level up, Eternal Hate, right away. Any suggestions?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does anyone know how to unlock Advanced: Moving Mountains (the caravan g-rank Dah'ren)? I need a caravan ticket G, but I don't know how to unlock it. I have a silver check for 10* and I have nobody to talk to in any of the towns.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Alard posted:

You need a HR of 50 to unlock it.
Aw gently caress. I need some stuff from him to upgrade my Seregios GS.

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

You could just fight the Caravan*10 one.
I forgot offline existed.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 15, 2015

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Celery Face posted:

Aw gently caress. I need some stuff from him to upgrade my Seregios GS.

You could just fight the Caravan*10 one.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I killed the g-rank dah'ren hoping to get an earth dragonsphire. I felt a twinge of excitement when I looked at the quest rewards and saw the gem icon.

It was the low rank gem.

This game sometimes :flaccid:

Elysiume posted:

Does anyone know how to unlock Advanced: Moving Mountains (the caravan g-rank Dah'ren)? I need a caravan ticket G, but I don't know how to unlock it. I have a silver check for 10* and I have nobody to talk to in any of the towns.

You probably need the online G3 permit. If you have that already then your guess is as good as mine.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I had a special permit already. Something I did unlocked it, but I'm not sure what. I just know it wasn't the silver rathalos or the molten tigrex in 10*.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

canoshiz posted:

The hammer is an unbelievably bad choice for fighting Akantor solo :negative:

Really? I remember Hammer being ace for fighting him in MHFU, if only because he has a massive head you can stun forever. Then again I cba getting Silver Rook and am poo poo with Lances, which was apparently the easymode way to fight him.

Seregios weapons are generally great, because Sharpness is king. I think Akantor weapons were the first ones to go against the "higher tier, higher sharpness" trend, not sure if there are any other weapons that play around with the importance of Sharpness, other than Seregios ones so far. I think Tigrex and Ucanlos both had high raw high sharpness stupid-low affinity weapons?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Yeah, tigrex stuff has high attack but low affinity and I'm not entirely sure why given the nature of tigrex itself. They play up how aggressive and violent it is in every game it's been in, but its weapons all have negative affinity and stuff and its armors have -sharpness.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Colapops posted:

Yeah, tigrex stuff has high attack but low affinity and I'm not entirely sure why given the nature of tigrex itself. They play up how aggressive and violent it is in every game it's been in, but its weapons all have negative affinity and stuff and its armors have -sharpness.
I think the flavor behind affinity is that it's about dexterity, accuracy, and finesse. Tigrex is the antithesis of those things.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does the DS demon-mode dodge count as a roll for the purposes of Seregios sharpening gimmick?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ambi posted:

Seregios weapons are generally great, because Sharpness is king. I think Akantor weapons were the first ones to go against the "higher tier, higher sharpness" trend, not sure if there are any other weapons that play around with the importance of Sharpness, other than Seregios ones so far. I think Tigrex and Ucanlos both had high raw high sharpness stupid-low affinity weapons?

Some Oroshi Kirin weapons get significantly less sharpness as you upgrade.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pierson posted:

Does the DS demon-mode dodge count as a roll for the purposes of Seregios sharpening gimmick?

even if it did, would it matter? You will do a 1s combo and be out of purple

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Circle Nine posted:

People say to stack offense, but supposedly bowguns draw agro more than other weapons. Even if they are no more or less prone to being targeted you can look at it like this:

For groups, Sneak keeps the monster from charging out of melee range to reach you. This increases your group melee DPS.
Being targeted less means remaining in siege mode longer, or spend less time waiting for a safe time to reload.

End of the day, find what you like and works best for you. Some skills a generally more/less useful. Sneak, for example, may actually cause more problems than it solves on CERTAIN monsters. It's one reason Attack Up is so universally regarded; it works on everything, and regardless of your playstyle, you still need to hit the monsters. So try it out. Come back and let us know what you think.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Stacking Sneak and a Silencer on my LBG made an insane difference, for the record. I could go huge amounts of time without being a target, and just stand there unloading on the monster. I lost Sneak with my latest gear set, but near as I can tell, a Silencer brings you back down to the same level as blademasters, so it's still worth it. Sneak and Silencer appear to be equally effective, and definitely stack, so for a gunner, either one is good, but both together are amazing.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What should I hone an IG for? Attack or Life?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

As someone who is a complete monster hunter novice using light bowgun, is there armor I should immediately be trying to craft now that I'm HR4?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Drythe posted:

What should I hone an IG for? Attack or Life?

GaijinHunter has a guide for it and explains the mechanics

up to you really

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I tried out the Life honing for a little while and I really wasn't a fan of it. The cooldown on it is pretty long, the proc rate isn't great which makes it feel fairly unreliable, and the heal being based on the motion value of the attack that triggers it means that with an IG it's fairly piddly. I'd take Attack honing almost every time.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
E:

Answered better by someone else!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

That was like, not what i asked at all

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Found something about the Switch Axe that I had not realized the implications of.

edit: Nope I'm an idiot. A->X is double slashes :downs:

victrix fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Drythe posted:

That was like, not what i asked at all

The answer is whatever works best for your play style. Do you get hit a lot? Defense might be the way to go. Do you have really amazing armor and SOMETIMES get hit? Life could be better. Are you some sort of evading god who basically never takes damage during a hunt and just wants to kill faster? Go damage.

• Locked thread