Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

What type of crappy stove do you have that broke from a hot dish? My folks have always had Bosch (early 90s and early 00s) throughout my life, and that was always my go-to place to set stuff because I often forget to get a hot plate out first... Gas ranges and lovely coil ranges also have no problem... I confuse.

The stove was fine. The dish exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SiGmA_X posted:

What type of crappy stove do you have that broke from a hot dish? My folks have always had Bosch (early 90s and early 00s) throughout my life, and that was always my go-to place to set stuff because I often forget to get a hot plate out first... Gas ranges and lovely coil ranges also have no problem... I confuse.

Uhm, I think the dish broke.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

PaintVagrant posted:

Time for a new av...

Thats loving great.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

CharlesM posted:

That's a laptop? lol.

My laptop (15")
My friend bought another sager same time I did. Same chip but 32GB RAM, 3TB total storage, and 780GTX.

Laptops can do pretty much anything these days.
I think I would max at 2x2.5"+2xmSATA in this machine.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 15, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

ilkhan posted:

My laptop (15")
My friend bought another sager same time I did. Same chip but 32GB RAM, 3TB total SSD, and 780GTX.

Except weigh less than 10 pounds and get more than like forty minutes of battery life, if you're looking at that kind of hardware. :v:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

zundfolge posted:

The stove was fine. The dish exploded.

nm posted:

Uhm, I think the dish broke.
Color me surprised. I have used Pyrex oven plates for at least 20yrs and have never had an issue... I guess I should be more careful.

Just out of curiosity, was this a newish Pyrex or older? I like my older storage set better - but my new sets (2011-13) aren't much different, same thickness, etc. I have set many of them on my folks glass top without issues, both 15yr+ old ones and new (2011-13) ones...

Was your Pyrex previously damaged or dropped??

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Sinestro posted:

Except weigh less than 10 pounds and get more than like forty minutes of battery life, if you're looking at that kind of hardware. :v:

And how much battery life does your desktop have?

I'm looking at getting a new chromebook pixel and slapping ubuntu or mint on it for a more portable machine. But this does just fine for my needs.
I have an i5-4670k/GTX970/16GB/850Pro desktop for max gaming, the laptop is my general usage machine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ilkhan posted:

My laptop (15")
My friend bought another sager same time I did. Same chip but 32GB RAM, 3TB total storage, and 780GTX.

I think I would max at 2x2.5"+2xmSATA in this machine.

Except a 770m is equivalent to maybe a 660 in a desktop and costs way more to replace when it dies or you want to upgrade.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sinestro posted:

My laptop weighs in at around 10.5 lbs, and I get about 4 hours battery life if I turn down the graphics card. About an hour and a half with graphics maxed.

http://valid.x86.fr/dwarf6

I got this thing because it has quite a few graphics card upgrade options, including a few non-OEM options, and four RAM slots.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 15, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Eh, fair. Last time I looked at gaming laptops was in 2009, seems things have gotten a bit better since then.

Unrelated to anything but my lust for automotive suffering innovation, does anyone know what the distance from the front of the bell housing to the shifter is on the Colorado and Solstice variants of the Aisin AR5 are?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinestro posted:

Eh, fair. Last time I looked at gaming laptops was in 2009, seems things have gotten a bit better since then.

What happened is a lot of high end laptops switched to DDR3L RAM, which runs at 1.35 versus 1.5v of DDR3 standard, allowing the CPU to go into low power draw cycles to preserve battery. There's been significant gains in power consumption of even high end machines thanks to this.

It also makes the RAM compatibility a pain. I went through 4 different manufacturers when I upgraded to find one compatible with proper DDR3L

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SiGmA_X posted:

Color me surprised. I have used Pyrex oven plates for at least 20yrs and have never had an issue... I guess I should be more careful.

Just out of curiosity, was this a newish Pyrex or older? I like my older storage set better - but my new sets (2011-13) aren't much different, same thickness, etc. I have set many of them on my folks glass top without issues, both 15yr+ old ones and new (2011-13) ones...

Was your Pyrex previously damaged or dropped??

Older Pyrex is borosilicate, which is fairly resistant to temperature shocks.
New Pyrex is made of soda lime glass, which isn't but is much cheaper

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Have you gotten drunk enough to not be able to tell them apart yet?

Edit: Jesus loving Christ. My ex that I broke up with 8 years ago just uploaded a ton of pictures of us from when we first dated (11 years ago) and tagged me in all of them. Thankfully blocking her deleted every tag.

Not really, when they lived together and would borrow each other's clothes it could cause problems though. One time her sister was wearing one of my favourite dresses of my wife's so I walked up behind her and goosedher and woops you're not my fiancée! Sorry 😳

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nm posted:

When I first saw Pyrex dishware at the grocery store I was excited thinking it's like the laboratory equipment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

Not really, when they lived together and would borrow each other's clothes it could cause problems though. One time her sister was wearing one of my favourite dresses of my wife's so I walked up behind her and goosedher and woops you're not my fiancée! Sorry 😳

Heh, I once got drunk enough to confuse a girlfriend with her sister and they had totally different body types.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sinestro posted:

Unrelated to anything but my lust for automotive suffering innovation, does anyone know what the distance from the front of the bell housing to the shifter is on the Colorado and Solstice variants of the Aisin AR5 are?
No but I can tell you it is very closely related to the trans used in many jeeps, dodges, toyotas, and some other marques too. So you could put whatever you're debating in a LOT of mantrans vehicles pretty easily without swapping trannies or driveshafts.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Heh, I once got drunk enough to confuse a girlfriend with her sister and they had totally different body types.

I've heard of beer goggles, but that's a goddamn beer welding mask.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

I've heard of beer goggles, but that's a goddamn beer welding mask.

It was tequila/whiskey/jaeger goggles if memory serves.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Talk about too little too late; they didn't release a fix until Thursday, and initially could only be used if you could still get into safe mode.

It struck another PC that auto-rebooted after installing Windows Updates on Thursday, one that's not used often (it wakes up on its own to install updates and update the TV listings, but otherwise it stays hibernated unless someone's watching TV in there). That one just couldn't load LoginUI.exe, but since it had just installed updates, rolling it back to the night before via System Restore fixed it. Couldn't even get into it via safe mode. :argh:

My desktop is still acting kind of goofy, I might see if System Restore can roll it back to about a week ago.

Slow is Fast posted:

This fresh OS and SSD :pusheen:

Pretty sweet isn't it? I went to SSD on my desktop about.. 6? months ago, and it's just smoking quick. I get frustrated using anything else, even my brand new i5 laptop.

I need to get an idea of what software I'm going to be expected to have on it, but I'm thinking a 240GB Samsung EVO will be perfect for the laptop.

CommieGIR posted:

I recently got sick of Windows 7 and decided to go risky and install Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard on my laptop.

With a Core i7, 23GB DDR3 RAM, AMD FireGL FirePro M6100 2GB PCIe, 256BB mSATA SSD, 2 x 1TB Hard Disks.

Wow. Windows Server 2012 is actually increadibly fast and stable. Faster than the trial test of Windows 8.1 (same base OS as Server 2012) I did.

A laptop with all of that? :wtc:

I've thought about Server 2012; I have a free copy of it courtesy of DreamSpark. I really just need to get another desktop to tinker with (.. on top of the 3 I already own), that or just move all the TV/DVR stuff to a dedicated PC and install Server on this one.

CommieGIR posted:

What happened is a lot of high end laptops switched to DDR3L RAM, which runs at 1.35 versus 1.5v of DDR3 standard, allowing the CPU to go into low power draw cycles to preserve battery. There's been significant gains in power consumption of even high end machines thanks to this.

It also makes the RAM compatibility a pain. I went through 4 different manufacturers when I upgraded to find one compatible with proper DDR3L

I have no idea if my laptop uses DDR3L, but it has a laughably small (physically) battery, and yet I've gotten 5 hours out of a charge more than once. :stare: Granted, I had turned the brightness way down, but that used to be low end netbook territory not THAT long ago.

It's an i5 with 8GB of DDR3, onboard video, 500GB HDD.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mattfl posted:

WTF is going on with Sears? I'm working on my Jeep this morning to replace a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the engine that I'm almost 99% sure if where my exhaust leak is coming from and I find that I'm one tool short to being able to get it off. There's one last bolt in a really tight spot and I need a 10mm flex head wrench. Call up my buddy to see if he's got one, nope, but he'll run over to sears for me and pick one up. He gets there and sends me this

He said most of the tool section looks like this.

Seriouschat : A Randian rear end in a top hat hedge fund manager took over as CEO, and essentially declared Lord of the Flies style free-market deathmatches for the executives because he was merging Sears and K-mart and obsoleting half their positions. He has since pushed the company to further 'streamline' operations by not maintaining or updating properties, mass closing stores, and in general running that poo poo into the ground. Their stock is tanking like mad.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Liquid Communism posted:

Seriouschat : A Randian rear end in a top hat hedge fund manager took over as CEO, and essentially declared Lord of the Flies style free-market deathmatches for the executives because he was merging Sears and K-mart and obsoleting half their positions. He has since pushed the company to further 'streamline' operations by not maintaining or updating properties, mass closing stores, and in general running that poo poo into the ground. Their stock is tanking like mad.

So loving glad I got out of there.

I have lost my endurance for car work though, just spent 8 hours putting struts, sway bar links and fresh brake fluid on/in the Mazda. I am sore all over.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

some texas redneck posted:

My desktop is still acting kind of goofy, I might see if System Restore can roll it back to about a week ago.

Just did that, which also caused Panda to get reinstalled. As soon as it booted up, Panda started eating itself again, to the point that I couldn't even uninstall it through the normal add/remove programs panel (got an error stating that Panda doesn't support my OS :wtc:). Snagged an uninstaller tool from Panda's website, rebooted, installed BitDefender, rebooted. All's well now, except last week's updates need to be reinstalled.

Now to try and get some sleep, supposed to be in Denton at 9:15 tomorrow (a little under 6 1/2 hours from now). :sigh: Might do the 11:30 service instead, but most of the people I know go to the 9:30.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

nm posted:

After googling when the changeover occured (1998ish), I am shocked at my luck. I am never lucky with things like that (things breaking), and I have definitely 'abused' my pyrex with temp changes...

Thanks for setting me straight!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I guess my Sunday consists of sitting on the toilet with a bucket between my feet, waiting for this viral weight loss plan to run its course.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tusen Takk posted:

Hah, my dad did exactly the same thing when he was first going out with my mum.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

PaintVagrant posted:

Time for a new av...
That's loving perfect. Well done.

Slow is Fast posted:

I work in IT and since finishing school and getting a big boy job I HATE HATE HATE computer janitoring my own poo poo.
Same, I can't stand working on my own poo poo or desktop/laptop crap in general. Might be why my 'best' computer is my work laptop and everything else is at least 5 years old.

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Got a text from my buddy. I seem to be a shoe in for a 80-85k a year contractor job! After being out of work since january I cant wait!
:hfive: Hell yes, congratulations.

blk posted:

Was talking to my landlord/neighbor across the street yesterday and learned that in addition to the dozen or so cars I know about (various MR2s, Miata, Mini Moke, Jeeps, Hondas, M100 Elan) he also has a Lotus 7, Caterham 7 and Elise 190 garaged. Living the dream :britain:
That guy is certainly doing something right. I'd love to find a Lotus or Caterham 7 but finding them in the US is tricky and/or expensive.

Cakefool posted:

I guess my Sunday consists of sitting on the toilet with a bucket between my feet, waiting for this viral weight loss plan to run its course.
I was going to bitch that my Sunday is going to be wasted in airports and airplanes but yours is going to be worse. Good luck.

Nevermind still going to bitch. Beautiful weather here and luckily even better at the destination. Still sucks I'm going to be stuck inside for ~8 hours today. Oh well I land early enough I can find a decent restaurant and pick up some snacks to get me through the week. I'd still rather spend it in the garage or even just sitting on my patio.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Thanks dudes. All credit for the new av go to hellbeard, I just came up with the idea and he executed it in the perfect "Jones in the Fast Lane" style.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My friend's dad's house had an electrical fire a few months back. Heading over in a bit to help them put in new outlets, switches and lights. Should be cake since all ths sheetrock is down.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwz7BhAWZE

"What we have here is an act of progressive escalation."

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 15, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also, today (yesterday?) I completely obliterated the rear hatch of a (rental, thank loving GOD) VW TDI hatchback while in the ambulance.

Don't brake check a loving ambulance.

Because an ambulance weighs like seven loving tons.

Long story short, I didn't even get a citation, due to the officer "exercising some professional courtesy." I did have to piss in a bottle, which is expected, but it's cool because I do literally nothing except for alcohol every five or six weeks. The only damage to the E350 ambo was some plastic scrapes on the bottom of the front bumper.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Watched Katowice 2015. Apparently i now like watching *Sports.

*ESPORTS ARE NOT SPORTS.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Also, today (yesterday?) I completely obliterated the rear hatch of a (rental, thank loving GOD) VW TDI hatchback while in the ambulance.

Don't brake check a loving ambulance.

Because an ambulance weighs like seven loving tons.

Long story short, I didn't even get a citation, due to the officer "exercising some professional courtesy." I did have to piss in a bottle, which is expected, but it's cool because I do literally nothing except for alcohol every five or six weeks. The only damage to the E350 ambo was some plastic scrapes on the bottom of the front bumper.

No dash cam?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks Nitrospass, i spent a judge be in trouble latercouple of hours hallucinating and when i just picked up my tablet after my head clears it was x closed in a image i don't put it and it has add Pinterest with named ginger chicks as the to app. Whoops,

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Ozmiander posted:

Watched Katowice 2015. Apparently i now like watching *Sports.

*ESPORTS ARE NOT SPORTS.

I caught a bit of the semis yesterday and the last map of the finals today. Was surprisingly fun to watch.
This was for CS:GO mind you, I quickly flipped it off as soon as it mentioned that starcraft was up next.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Theta's a dog on the bed who did that

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

treizebee posted:

I caught a bit of the semis yesterday and the last map of the finals today. Was surprisingly fun to watch.
This was for CS:GO mind you, I quickly flipped it off as soon as it mentioned that starcraft was up next.

The end had me actually scream and scare the poo poo out of my kids. I had picked NiP :smith:

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

SiGmA_X posted:

After googling when the changeover occured (1998ish), I am shocked at my luck. I am never lucky with things like that (things breaking), and I have definitely 'abused' my pyrex with temp changes...

Thanks for setting me straight!

At my work we did some thermal shocking of several small cheap Pyrex bowls from Walmart where we put them in a hot oven and then tossed them into an icewater bath. I don't remember what temperature the oven was at (maybe 70C), but none of them shattered after repeated tests. If they were scuffed, scratched, and well used the results may have been different, but whatever processing they do to the glass seems to work pretty well.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Thanks Nitrospass, i spent a judge be in trouble latercouple of hours hallucinating and when i just picked up my tablet after my head clears it was x closed in a image i don't put it and it has add Pinterest with named ginger chicks as the to app. Whoops,

Dude you sound like you have a very high fever and are probably extremely dehydrated. Be careful and drink all the water/Gatorade you can keep down. If it gets worse get someone to take you to a doc!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cakefool posted:

Dude I told you not to take the brown acid.

seriously though, hope you feel better, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

A laptop with all of that? :wtc:

I've thought about Server 2012; I have a free copy of it courtesy of DreamSpark. I really just need to get another desktop to tinker with (.. on top of the 3 I already own), that or just move all the TV/DVR stuff to a dedicated PC and install Server on this one.

I have no idea if my laptop uses DDR3L, but it has a laughably small (physically) battery, and yet I've gotten 5 hours out of a charge more than once. :stare: Granted, I had turned the brightness way down, but that used to be low end netbook territory not THAT long ago.

It's an i5 with 8GB of DDR3, onboard video, 500GB HDD.

If its newer than a Haswell core series, its likely using DDR3L, I want to say its 4th Gen and above that uses it.

If you think that is overkill, you should see my home server:

• Locked thread