Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Silver Falcon posted:

My Monado decal from Decalgirl just arrived a little bit ago! Specifically, this one, which was posted in this thread awhile back. The screen protector got in a couple days ago and I picked up a red system just yesterday. And just now, I finished transforming it into Something Awesome.

Shot with the box, just because.

Bottom

Back (Any blurriness is due to my lovely camera skills, not the skin)

Inside. I may have to change my theme now. I was using the Animal Crossing XL (aka the Poptart).

EDIT: Forgot to include one with my friend!

I think you know how he feels about it.

All in all, the skin looks gorgeous! It's so shiny and crisp. And it wasn't that much of a pain in the rear end to put on. Absolutely flawless. Decalgirl: it does what Nintendon't.

I was already using a MicroSD card, so System Transfer was totally painless. And I didn't even have to practice screwing!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have Ace Attorney games to continue binging on.

Should have gotten Matte!:smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So funny thing, in STEAM you need steam in reserve to go into overwatch mode. Enemies don't. Also they can overwatch fire on you forever. Also there's no cool down and you don't even have to be moving.

I just had a alien kill one of my units because I literally could not move and it kept overwatch firing at him then got to keep shooting on the aliens turn.

Edit: Lol this mission sucks rear end. super cramped space and a ton of enemies who have infinite overwatch and stun lock you the second it's your turn.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 15, 2015

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fuzz posted:

I prefer shiny. But yes, you can get their stuff in matte, if you wish.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Is this poo poo legit? I don't think I can resist spending $20 to turn my 3DS into orange icecream nonsense. The pics make it look like everything fits together pretty drat well. Is there some layer of bullshit or is this really just peeling off stickers and putting them on?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tyma posted:

Xenoblade is so much better than the current JRPGs that it's definately worth waiting 2 weeks.

Fire Emblem Awakening is probably a close contender to Xenoblade, though. It's a grid-based strategy JRPG, where the strategy involved is minimal, and the RPG elements being so Japanese it's off the charts.

I played a bit if the demo and liked it. I especially appreciated how the first mission is a standard, beginning-of-the-game "save a town from some bandits" affair, and then the intro to the second mission just slams on the gas pedal and speeds straight into "what the gently caress" jrpg insanity.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

kater posted:

Is this poo poo legit? I don't think I can resist spending $20 to turn my 3DS into orange icecream nonsense. The pics make it look like everything fits together pretty drat well. Is there some layer of bullshit or is this really just peeling off stickers and putting them on?

There's no bullshit! Just so long as you have a steady hand for putting on stickers. Make sure your hands and the system are clean. I recommend running the shower for awhile to lay the dust as well, just as you would to apply a screen protector.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
About these Decalgirl stickers, how well do they stay on?
Do they leave a sticky residue if you peel them off after you get bored/wear (do they?)/shift from feverish Smash play?
The New XL being glossy on the outside I suppose will be more amenable to stickers, but what about on the inside's matte plastic?
I'm just worried I might be peeling off the stickers from my habit of stuffing the 3DS in my jacket pocket (no goon am I) beside my car keys, change, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 15, 2015

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!

Ugh, wanted one of these for ages and now they're out of production. My research indicates SNES emulation on the others is pretty lovely.

I just want to play Super Mario RPG and sweet, sweet Mode 7 games on a hand-held. :(

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012

Doug Dinsdale posted:

About these Decalgirl stickers, how well do they stay on?
Do they leave a sticky residue if you peel them off after you get bored/wear (do they?)/shift from feverish Smash play?
The New XL being glossy on the outside I suppose will be more amenable to stickers, but what about on the inside's matte plastic?
I'm just worried I might be peeling off the stickers from my habit of stuffing the 3DS in my jacket pocket (no goon am I) beside my car keys, change, etc.

Thanks in advance.

They stay on just fine and don't leave any sticky residue if you pull them off. The inside plastic is fine for the sticker. If you're worried about the sticker coming off you could also get a hori case for it. That's what I did.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

blackjack posted:

Ugh, wanted one of these for ages and now they're out of production. My research indicates SNES emulation on the others is pretty lovely.

I just want to play Super Mario RPG and sweet, sweet Mode 7 games on a hand-held. :(

As much as this doesn't solve your problem the snes emulation on PSP is also pretty good and you can get one for pretty drat cheap.

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 15, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

kater posted:

It's tricky to align the decals, but otherwise it's cool. They're made of vinyl and the adhesive is of the type that won't ruin the finish and won't leave a bunch of funky poo poo behind.

Edit: "gunky" not "funky" but I'll permit it, autocorrect.

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 15, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

nuru posted:

Azure Strike Gunvolt seems pretty good as a platformer juding by the demo. Nothing amazing, but competent.

It's a very, very good score attack game and an ok platformer. The scenery across levels starts to blur together, the level gimmick mechanics aren't as memorable as the good ones from Mega Man, and enemy variety is really lacking-- it doesn't help that the English version cut out some content (basically just dialogue that they didn't want/have the means to translate, nothing gameplay related -- although flavor is kind of the biggest area where the game is lacking).

However it's very challenging and, if you're the kind of person who's into that, very fun to try and get a good rank on every level. There's also some cool progression elements related to unlocking new equipment and skills, and achieving the perfect run through a level requires a balance between planning out how to equip your character and flawless execution. It's very much a leaderboard/high score game, not a "play through once for the experience" game like Shovel Knight. Closer to Mega Man Zero than Mega Man X. Of course, being a game on the Nintendo 3DS, there ARE no leaderboards, but that probably goes without saying.

I thought it was great for the $15 and I got quite a few hours out of it -- to bring up Shovel Knight again, I loved the experience of that game (and according to my 3DS I've played for about 5 hours) but don't really have a desire to play through it again, at all. Gunvolt doesn't have nearly the same polish or charm but my 3DS tells me I've logged 12 hours on it and I still play every once in a while to try and beat some old scores. Definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Haruharuharuko posted:

As much as this doesn't solve your problem the snes emulation on PSP is also pretty good and you can get one for pretty drat cheap.

Yeah I was playing SNES games really, really painlessly on a PSP like 4 years ago. It can also emulate GBA games much much better than the 3DS can, AND you can soft mod it without a flashcart! Not to mention it can play almost every PSX game. I feel like trying to use your 3DS for emulators is kind of like forcing a round peg into a square hole, considering you can get a PSP more cheaply than you could a flashcart & it does much more than the 3DS will ever be able to.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow the beaver race in MM3D is way more frustrating than I remember it being in the original. I keep getting hung up on the half-submerged rings. Pretty much every time it goes into "attempt to climb thing" feedback loop and I have to fuss to get out of it. It was really frustrating to have time run out because I got hung up on the last ring.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

goferchan posted:

Yeah I was playing SNES games really, really painlessly on a PSP like 4 years ago. It can also emulate GBA games much much better than the 3DS can, AND you can soft mod it without a flashcart! Not to mention it can play almost every PSX game. I feel like trying to use your 3DS for emulators is kind of like forcing a round peg into a square hole, considering you can get a PSP more cheaply than you could a flashcart & it does much more than the 3DS will ever be able to.

does the psp have 3d land or codename steam or Shantae

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Wow the beaver race in MM3D is way more frustrating than I remember it being in the original. I keep getting hung up on the half-submerged rings. Pretty much every time it goes into "attempt to climb thing" feedback loop and I have to fuss to get out of it. It was really frustrating to have time run out because I got hung up on the last ring.

In general I loved MM3D and really appreciated the changes it made to the original, but the new swimming mechanics (and consequently the beavers) are loving horrible – I had the same problems you did. I feel like all the frustration from the N64 shooting galleries got transferred to that stupid minigame.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

does the psp have 3d land or codename steam or Shantae

Not saying to get one instead of a 3DS (although it has Valkyria Chronicles which is the obvious inspiration for Codename STEAM and handles the gameplay side of things far better) but if you're gonna buy a 3DS flashcart and go through the hassle that is currently modding one, you could buy a modded PSP for like $50 instead

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

just get both

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

a true gamer owns all consoles

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

except an xbox one

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Fuckin' love my Ouya! Oooooh yeah!

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
And that one.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm sorry but the PSP is awful at SNES emulation. Either people don't mind frame skip or have rose-tinted glasses but you won't be playing SMRPG on it without some nasty concessions. Same for the DSTWO, SMRPG is one of the more demanding games out there in terms of emulation cost due to the extra chip on it. The best approach if you need portable emulation is to find a Shield Portable as they're extremely powerful for what they are, the screen is really crisp and not-poo poo and so long as you're ok with spending $6 a pop there's really good emulators available.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

goferchan posted:

Not saying to get one instead of a 3DS (although it has Valkyria Chronicles which is the obvious inspiration for Codename STEAM and handles the gameplay side of things far better) but if you're gonna buy a 3DS flashcart and go through the hassle that is currently modding one, you could buy a modded PSP for like $50 instead

You don't need to mod it to play GBA and SNES and I'm pretty sure the DSTWO goes for like $30 if you find someone.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So switching between my N3DS, PSP and Vita, I've found that the N3DS does not drive my headphones well at all - it's noticeably more quiet, to a degree that detracts from the experience.

If I pick up a pair of headphones that has some sort of external amp type deal, will that fix the volume problem? I was just using a regular pair of Sennheisers with a mic plug.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

except an xbox one

This is true

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

victrix posted:

So switching between my N3DS, PSP and Vita, I've found that the N3DS does not drive my headphones well at all - it's noticeably more quiet, to a degree that detracts from the experience.

If I pick up a pair of headphones that has some sort of external amp type deal, will that fix the volume problem? I was just using a regular pair of Sennheisers with a mic plug.

Have you tried using another pair of headphones? My brainwavs are being driven just fine.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
My MM N3DS should be arriving in about 2 weeks, but as Majoras Mask will be already installed on the card I was wondering what would happen to that of I did a system transfer?

Like would the transfer just add the stuff from the old 3DS or would it wipe everything from the new 3DS and replace it with the stuff from the old one?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kin posted:

My MM N3DS should be arriving in about 2 weeks, but as Majoras Mask will be already installed on the card I was wondering what would happen to that of I did a system transfer?

Like would the transfer just add the stuff from the old 3DS or would it wipe everything from the new 3DS and replace it with the stuff from the old one?

System transfer then redownload from the eShop.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

noirstronaut posted:

Thanks for the list! Sadly, I think I'm looking for some games a bit more SNES. Shantae, OlliOlli (kinda), Azure Striker, and 3D Outrun are 16-bit (inspired) and have that style that I'm going for.
If 3D Outrun meets your criteria 16-bit aesthetic criteria, then all the Sega 3D Superscaler Arcade Games should, especially After Burner and Hang On and Space Harrier and Galaxy Force II (which is basically Star Fox meets After Burner done entirely with advanced mode 7 instead of polygons)

Going into a few more DSiWare:

Commandos Steel Disaster (as mentioned)
Glory Days
Mighty Flip Champs
Mighty Milky Way

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

noirstronaut posted:

System transfer then redownload from the eShop.

How does it handle "knowing" that the game's been tied to my NNID if it comes pre-installed though? I'm assuming the transfer process involves you registering the new 3DS with your NNID and then it can only transfer stuff from a 3DS it detects the same NNID on?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kin posted:

How does it handle "knowing" that the game's been tied to my NNID if it comes pre-installed though? I'm assuming the transfer process involves you registering the new 3DS with your NNID and then it can only transfer stuff from a 3DS it detects the same NNID on?

The hardware accounts are merged.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Kin posted:

I was in the same boat as you, doing a system transfer from an old 3DS to a New with Majora's Mask pre-installed. It doesn't require you to do anything extra, just follow the onscreen instructions and it'll be fine. There'll be a part where it warns you it's going to delete what's on the target system's SD card but don't worry about that, it's already added the game's licence to your NNID and you can redownload it just as if you'd bought it from the eshop.

Don't link the new system to your NNID before doing the transfer, I think that can mess things up.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

flyboi posted:

I'm sorry but the PSP is awful at SNES emulation. Either people don't mind frame skip or have rose-tinted glasses but you won't be playing SMRPG on it without some nasty concessions. Same for the DSTWO, SMRPG is one of the more demanding games out there in terms of emulation cost due to the extra chip on it. The best approach if you need portable emulation is to find a Shield Portable as they're extremely powerful for what they are, the screen is really crisp and not-poo poo and so long as you're ok with spending $6 a pop there's really good emulators available.

You're preaching to people who don't care as long as it's "playable." This same exact argument happens fairly often when it comes to GBA games on 3DS, which frankly kinda suck and aren't worth paying for, yet there's always a vocal crowd here who wants to whine about not having them despite their lack of quality.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Does the eshop remember what I buy? I wanna delete things and free up space.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Chump Farts posted:

Does the eshop remember what I buy? I wanna delete things and free up space.

Yes it does. There's a redownload menu.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

flyboi posted:

Agreeing with this. In my experience, catsfc on dstwo is the same thing, frame skips and frame drops. Even on super Mario world, which should be the most emulateable game on earth at this point.

Maybe the dstwo+ will have a beefy enough processor to do snes games justice

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I love conventions.

I'm finally free!! (Until a new panel is released...)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

jivjov posted:

I love conventions.

I'm finally free!! (Until a new panel is released...)

Please come rub your 3DS against mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

elf help book posted:

Please come rub your 3DS against mine.

That's one of those things we have to practice first, right? Should I bring any tools?