Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Did the 2013 N7 not get 5.1 because it wasn't experiencing issues with 5.02? Android 5.1 is more than just bugfixes isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's just not out for it yet. There's still the memory leak on 5.02, it's not super bad but it's there for the N7 2013. It'll come it'll just be a few days, maybe more.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Did the 2013 N7 not get 5.1 because it wasn't experiencing issues with 5.02? Android 5.1 is more than just bugfixes isn't it?
It certainly could benefit from the battery life improvements, that's for sure.

The only things I know of that are actually different are the HD Voice thing and dual SIM support and obviously neither of those apply to the N7. There are a lot of neat animation changes and of course the silent mode fix which was never broken on tablets anyway.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I really truly believe we were supposed to get 5.0.2 with the last update but they pulled it at the last minute and replaced it with a VoLTE bug fixer when they saw that 5.1 release was going to happen in the next two weeks.

Now if only the N9 would get the 5.1 image posted.

Why, though? They pushed the 5.0x for the Moto Maxx and the new Moto Turbos in India are shipping with 5.1.

I'm still not even sure why they rushed ahead and pushed a VoLTE upgrade and then a subsequent patch when 5.1 is coming with it anyways.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Where should I be looking for reviews/specs on smartphones?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
So there's an aluminum bumper case out now for the Z3c that's $57.50 shipped. If you can get over the price, it looks like everything one could want in a case. Slim profile, adequate protection, and holes in all the right spots.

Once it arrives, I won't need my current Incipio Dualpro, so if any goons want it, shoot me a pm. I only ask for said goon to cover shipping cost. Fair warning, it has been sanded down on the back plastic and had a hole added for the magnetic charging port.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Mooktastical posted:

So there's an aluminum bumper case out now for the Z3c that's $57.50 shipped. If you can get over the price, it looks like everything one could want in a case. Slim profile, adequate protection, and holes in all the right spots.

Once it arrives, I won't need my current Incipio Dualpro, so if any goons want it, shoot me a pm. I only ask for said goon to cover shipping cost. Fair warning, it has been sanded down on the back plastic and had a hole added for the magnetic charging port.

but my Diztronic is everything i want in a case for a quarter the price

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I tend to take Ars Technica and Anandtech's reviews more seriously than others.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

nerve posted:

That was the first thing I looked for when I got it. Diztronic doesn't make Z3c cases. :(

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mooktastical posted:

That was the first thing I looked for when I got it. Diztronic doesn't make Z3c cases. :(

Just look for a TPU case, there appear to be plenty listed on Amazon. Diztronic is good but plenty of other companies make good TPU cases too.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

Just look for a TPU case, there appear to be plenty listed on Amazon. Diztronic is good but plenty of other companies make good TPU cases too.

I got this one and hated it. No inserts for the buttons, so you had to just feel around for the right spot. It also allowed the bottom 2 corners of the glass screen protector to get chips by dropping it 2 feet, so I got the incipio instead.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just ask here and get aggressively schooled to hell and back if you are the slightest bit off (i.e. not a Motorola).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mooktastical posted:

Cruzerlite seem to have some. They use the same manufacturer as Diztronic and I've found them to be good quality in the past.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

hotsauce posted:

Just ask here and get aggressively schooled to hell and back if you are the slightest bit off (i.e. not a Motorola).

Okay. I'm on T-Mobile, I'm looking at a last-gen phone. <300 used, so far I've been looking at an older HTC one, LG g2, or galaxy s4. Less so the s4, my work s4 is scratched to hell after 8 months. I like that the g2 has a gorilla glass screen, but I'm worried about the non-replaceable battery on a used phone, I don't know how well it's been treated. Durability and battery life are most important to me. Less so body durability because I'll probably get a case for whatever phone I decide on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay. I'm on T-Mobile, I'm looking at a last-gen phone. <300 used, so far I've been looking at an older HTC one, LG g2, or galaxy s4. Less so the s4, my work s4 is scratched to hell after 8 months. I like that the g2 has a gorilla glass screen, but I'm worried about the non-replaceable battery on a used phone, I don't know how well it's been treated. Durability and battery life are most important to me. Less so body durability because I'll probably get a case for whatever phone I decide on.
See that part where he mentioned Motorola? You can get a new 2013 Moto X for that.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

nerve posted:

You gotta respect anything made by DEVILcase.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Go to eBay and buy a brand new 2013 moto X for like $215.

I'm on mobile or I'd link you. Maybe some goon will.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Tunga posted:

Cruzerlite seem to have some. They use the same manufacturer as Diztronic and I've found them to be good quality in the past.

That looks really good. I didn't like the design on the back, so I dismissed it out of hand, and now wish I hadn't. Oh well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

See that part where he mentioned Motorola? You can get a new 2013 Moto X for that.

:doh: I read that as saying don't buy Motorola.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
Original Android user. Had my DroidX for years. Loved it. Finally getting bumped off the family plan and I need to make an adult decision.
Going back to Android. (Checked out the iPhone, it's wholly underwhelming. Don't judge me)

Verizon is a better option, coverage wise, where I live. Just heard the N6 is finally out on their network. Is the extra cash worth it or should I just stick to the Turbo? The cost isn't really a huge issue.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
They're both equally good, go to the store and put both in your hand to decide.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mooktastical posted:

That looks really good. I didn't like the design on the back, so I dismissed it out of hand, and now wish I hadn't. Oh well.
Yeah some of their designs are a bit dorky.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

hooah posted:

Correct, no OTAs. If you got the 5.1 image from Google, then it's not something you can flash on your phone. There are instructions near the top of this page for how to flash. If you want to preserve your data, edit the script file and remove the -w flag.

Actually not correct. Nexus 5 update .zip files still patch individual files and not the full system image.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

Actually not correct. Nexus 5 update .zip files still patch individual files and not the full system image.
Who cares what it patches when it won't run at all without an unaltered system image?

For the question he answered I'm pretty sure hooah is essentially correct in that if you're rooted you cannot apply an OTA now.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

Who cares what it patches when it won't run at all without an unaltered system image?

For the question he answered I'm pretty sure hooah is essentially correct in that if you're rooted you cannot apply an OTA now.
The reason what it patches matters is why I mentioned it.

L updates aren't supposed to work on altered phones because they directly patch the filesystem, so it must be as the .zip expects it.

Older updates work on individual files, if one is there that shouldn't be it doesn't matter as it's ignored by the .zip

N5 updates still use the old method for whatever reason, so you can go ahead.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

The reason what it patches matters is why I mentioned it.

L updates aren't supposed to work on altered phones because they directly patch the filesystem, so it must be as the .zip expects it.

Older updates work on individual files, if one is there that shouldn't be it doesn't matter as it's ignored by the .zip

N5 updates still use the old method for whatever reason, so you can go ahead.
Neither of the last two would run on mine.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Guess I'd better shut up then :D

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Turnquiet posted:

Any spergin' trip reports on whether or not 5.1 for the N6 enables hardware encryption that fixes the performance issues of its flash? I never had any complaints about the speediness of mine, but during the initial batch of reviews it kinda psyched me out.
It doesn't enable hardware encryption yet, but performance is significantly better and it fixed a lot of crippling bugs (biggest one for me was not having sound in calls unless I rebooted first.)

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I was able to run the flash-all.bat on mine no problems. Posting from my n5 5.1 mad good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

always be closing posted:

I was able to run the flash-all.bat on mine no problems. Posting from my n5 5.1 mad good.
We're talking about OTAs not the image script. OTAs check the integrity of the system partition before proceeding. The full system image obviously doesn't care what's there when it starts because it intends to obliterate it anyway.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Just upgraded my Moto G to Lollipop. It looks great, but it hosed up my notification led. Even though it's turned on in the settings, it doesn't blink when I receive messages etc. Is this normal or am I missing something?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

beedeebee posted:

Just upgraded my Moto G to Lollipop. It looks great, but it hosed up my notification led. Even though it's turned on in the settings, it doesn't blink when I receive messages etc. Is this normal or am I missing something?
Ate you using Light Flow or just stock?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

(biggest one for me was not having sound in calls unless I rebooted first.)

That is some Cyanogenmod nightly level bullshit.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

LastInLine posted:

Ate you using Light Flow or just stock?

Just stock. I like to put my phone on silent, not even vibrate and place it on my desk while I work. Then I can just occasionally check if I have any messages. Really got used to that, so it's a bit annoying that it's not working properly at the moment.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

beedeebee posted:

Just stock. I like to put my phone on silent, not even vibrate and place it on my desk while I work. Then I can just occasionally check if I have any messages. Really got used to that, so it's a bit annoying that it's not working properly at the moment.
I'm sure Light Flow can restore that functionality for you but the LED doesn't do colors so you're stuck with white.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Looking at the 2013 moto X, will I regret getting the 16 gig rather than 32? I've only used about 2 gigs right now, but I want to start putting music on my phone. I'm thinking that will only take up maybe 8-10 gigs, though, so I feel like I should be good with 16.

Edit: it sounds like 5.02 has worse battery management than kit kat, so is there a way to keep it on kit kat until 5.1 comes out for it?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Looking at the 2013 moto X, will I regret getting the 16 gig rather than 32? I've only used about 2 gigs right now, but I want to start putting music on my phone. I'm thinking that will only take up maybe 8-10 gigs, though, so I feel like I should be good with 16.

If it costs less than 50 bucks to get the 32gig, go for it. It can't hurt, and apps are rapidly increasing in size.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'd go 32 personally. I found a great deal on a 16 GB model and I'm rotating music often. You can't add an SD card later, but everything else about this phone is pretty great. I'd opt for the extra storage.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Mooktastical posted:

That is some Cyanogenmod nightly level bullshit.
No, this persisted through a factory reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I think this got missed on a previous page, but what is the consensus on the Galaxy S5 Active? I'm finding some pretty cheap (cheaper then the vanilla s5) and was hoping for some goon opinions. I don't mind touch wiz but I am also not in that much of a hurry to pick up another phone.
Currently using the recommend 2013 Moto X and it really is fantastic.