Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

That's the :catstare: quote you're going with? Not the passenger quoted as saying:

quote:

"I am going back to New York by bus," he assured me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Well in fairness to the Nepalese, that particular 757 acquired a reputation of being a hangar queen of the very worst kind. I'm sure our friendly neighbourhood bolt-breakers can think of an aircraft in their past that some sort of animal sacrifice to God, Bernoulli and/or Pratt & Whitney might have done some good.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

C/W task card 2274. Sacrificed goats IAW Boeing MM 51-20 pg3. Akash Bhairab ops check good.

MrYenko
A&P3135556

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MrYenko posted:

C/W task card 2274. Sacrificed goats IAW Boeing MM 51-20 pg3. Akash Bhairab ops check good.

MrYenko
A&P3135556

A dive boat operator in Vietnam told me he still has to buy a goat for his employees to sacrifice every year so their boat doesn't sink.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Dick

I wonder what will happen when CNN gets ahold of this? (they story, not the dick)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

Dick

I wonder what will happen when CNN gets ahold of this? (they story, not the dick)

If I had known that's all I had to do to make the news I'd have done that a long time ago.

fake edit:
BREAKING NEWS: PILOTS HAVE IMMATURE SENSE OF HUMOR

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Fun with radar vectors!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Dick

Wolf Blitzer reports: WAS MH370 CREW TRYING TO DRAW GIANT SKY PENIS?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I think we've all got "draw giant sky penis" on our to-do list. It's just a matter of time until the opportunity presents itself.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

overdesigned posted:

I think we've all got "draw giant sky penis" on our to-do list. It's just a matter of time until the opportunity presents itself.

Here I'd just opened this thread to ask which if you fuckers did this.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Welp - Just took my first helicopter lesson, R44.

Never had so much fun EVER in my flying career. WOW.

Now I need access to my wife's retirement account......

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Have you googled whether Mooney makes a helicopter yet?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Have you googled whether Mooney makes a helicopter yet?

The tail rotor is backwards.

Unicom
Mar 29, 2006

Interesting flight today heading back home, winds were 32G40 right before touchdown. Luckily straight down the runway, felt like I was stopped before landing. Got absolutely tossed around in the foothills too.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Unicom posted:

Interesting flight today heading back home, winds were 32G40 right before touchdown. Luckily straight down the runway, felt like I was stopped before landing. Got absolutely tossed around in the foothills too.

Try Variable 50kts... Welcome to Leeds Bradford.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Unicom posted:

In/around Calgary, by any chance? gently caress me, it was windy yesterday.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like two of the Indonesian flight demo team planes midaired yesterday during a practice session. All four pilots ejected OK.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 15, 2015

Unicom
Mar 29, 2006

PT6A posted:

In/around Calgary, by any chance? gently caress me, it was windy yesterday.

Yeah you got it, CYBW. Pretty used to the wind flying here but I think that's the most I've ever landed in.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

So I have been thinking of getting the goddamn bachelors degree to make me more competitive. But I just cant justify doing it in the useless Aeronautical bullshit, even though I would get credits for my licenses. I'd rather do it in something more useful, in which I would, you know, LEARN a new skill. Computer Science seems attractive as I could work as a programmer on the side, and is a good backup in case this aviation thing falls out the wayside. Any suggestions?

-edit-
Made a thread about it.

Animal fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 15, 2015

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
CS seems to be the general consensus among people wanting to do work on the side/have some sort of back up

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rickety Cricket posted:

CS seems to be the general consensus among people wanting to do work on the side/have some sort of back up

Thanks. Any suggestions as far as which school?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are you looking for 100% correspondence/remote or some time on campus? And which state can you claim residency in?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I will be in Georgia. I wanna be able to do it 100% online. So far I am looking at this ABET accredited IT program for under $19k
http://www.mga.edu/information-technology/online.aspx

I talked to an Arizona State University counselor but theirs would be around $60,000

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Animal posted:

I will be in Georgia. I wanna be able to do it 100% online. So far I am looking at this ABET accredited IT program for under $19k
http://www.mga.edu/information-technology/online.aspx

I talked to an Arizona State University counselor but theirs would be around $60,000

Honestly the best way to learn programming is by doing. I'm not saying don't get your degree, I think it's a good way to put some structure to the learning and of course it means you have the paper, but rather it's not going to matter all that much where you get a CS degree from. Go with somewhere affordable and convenient for you. If you want to learn more without spending a bunch of money, supplement with Coursera courses or something like that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He's looking at a BSIT there which does have a programming concentration but only looks to have a data structures course as far as theory of computation goes. That will be looked down on by employers when you are trying to get your first programming job.

If you want to do server administration stuff check out if those classes include the certs.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

hobbesmaster posted:

He's looking at a BSIT there which does have a programming concentration but only looks to have a data structures course as far as theory of computation goes. That will be looked down on by employers when you are trying to get your first programming job.

If you want to do server administration stuff check out if those classes include the certs.

I only glanced over that briefly and couldn't really find a course list for the different concentrations. If you want to do programming and not tech support type stuff then you'll want a degree in Computer Science, or maybe Software Engineering. Something that focuses on the actual programming/software development work. That said I'm gonna stop derailing the aviation thread with computer stuff and get back to daydreaming about affording my PPL. You can PM with questions if you want Animal.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Will do!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Compass hired me and said call when I'm a month out from 1500 hrs for a class date. Anybody know any good aircraft I could rent dry on the cheap?
Pretty happy to get it as it was my first choice. 4 of us took the tests, 2 went home. Tough stuff.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Slaughter posted:

Compass hired me and said call when I'm a month out from 1500 hrs for a class date. Anybody know any good aircraft I could rent dry on the cheap?
Pretty happy to get it as it was my first choice. 4 of us took the tests, 2 went home. Tough stuff.

My club has some DA20s for 99/hr

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I really hope that's the wet rate

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Congrats! You'll probably upgrade before I do!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I'll probably get bypassed a ton til I get the 1000 121. What happens to your seniority in that case? You still keep your seniority position right?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

The Slaughter posted:

Welcome to the 121 club :pilot::hf::yayclod:

Sim is going much better this week, I'm not dragging my partner down and our instructor is pretty chill. Plus, there's a three day break weekend coming up with another 4 day break before checkride. Now to back to studying profiles and callouts for the next 3 hours...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Slaughter posted:

I really hope that's the wet rate

Yes, they'll refund any fuel you buy.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

e.pilot posted:

Where?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

e.pilot posted:

Downside: not IFR capable so hope it's good weather while you try to build PIC hours.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

Nice, how long ago was your interview? You might have been hired with one of my aerial survey coworkers. Little Mexican kid.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxz2hhSXuY

The after-hours part holds equally true for military aviation. I guess I can be thankful we don't carry passengers.

WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK TALK WITH YOUR HANDS WORK WORK WORK WORK SEA STORY WORK WORK MAINTENANCE WORK WORK WORK TOPGUN JOKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KAPA

• Locked thread