Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I am posting to receive handjobs.

Dance it up by thetzar, on Flickr

Dance it out by thetzar, on Flickr

Still in ultra high contrast mode. Whites almost clip in the fleshtones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

I take photos for my own enjoyment and I post here so that others may enjoy them. This isn't really a question or a critique, it's just stupid:

"I don't take photos for your enjoyment.........I *post* them for your enjoyment. Come on, in this context there's no difference. You have some expectation that someone will look at your photos, but you get defensive when someone's opinion of your photos doesn't match with your own rather than responding to the same kind of critique you give all the time.

quote:

I can't tell if you just dislike me or my photos.

I don't like your posts cause I honestly can't tell if you're being sincere half the time, especially when you won't answer questions like, what do you like about those blotchy mugshots of guys with awkward expressions that you wanted to share with us?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'm not attacking you I honestly want to know

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Subyng posted:

This is part of the problem. I don't care for many of the shots in the various thread. I don't like the style of some posters. I just move on. If you're seriously looking for discussion, your attack style post doesn't encourage good faith discussion

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
To be fair I haven't ever really seen someone honestly explaining the context and style these photos fit in to people that post that they don't get it. Usually they get flippant answers and the person is left outside the "circle", still confused but now frustrated. I get it that it isn't your job to give them an art education but a little less clique behavior'd probably do the forum some good.

edit: and I also get it that when people attack and don't ask sincerely that the ridicule is well deserved, so it might not apply in this specific context, but still, I feel the point needs to be made.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Subyng posted:

I don't like your posts cause I honestly can't tell if you're being sincere half the time, especially when you won't answer questions like, what do you like about those blotchy mugshots of guys with awkward expressions that you wanted to share with us?

I'm enjoying shooting with watercolors instead of oils. Sorry about your inability to have fun

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dakana posted:

To be fair I haven't ever really seen someone honestly explaining the context and style these photos fit in to people that post that they don't get it. Usually they get flippant answers and the person is left outside the "circle", still confused but now frustrated. I get it that it isn't your job to give them an art education but a little less clique behavior'd probably do the forum some good.

edit: and I also get it that when people attack and don't ask sincerely that the ridicule is well deserved, so it might not apply in this specific context, but still, I feel the point needs to be made.

ansel autisms posted:

I'm enjoying shooting with watercolors instead of oils. Sorry about your inability to have fun

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

dakana posted:

a little less clique behavior'd probably do the forum some good.
lol good luck with that.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Subyng posted:

Subyng his Mavica photos suck and he knows they suck, but that is part of the charm of them. They suck in a good/fun way, in my opinion. If you don't like them it's fine, it just means you don't understand art.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

RangerScum posted:

If you don't like them it's fine, it just means you don't understand art.

This is a bad and lazy response and you should feel bad for posting it.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Too many joke levels for me

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Basically this:

Awkward Davies posted:

Too many joke levels for me

Subyng fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 13, 2015

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNI07egoefc

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Here are some fun photos I took: https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=hdr

e: I'm done, continue posting good/bad (bad) portraits

Subyng fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 13, 2015

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I'll let you into the circle: if someone who is poo poo posts poo poo work it is poo poo work. If someone who is extremely competent posts work that looks poo poo on first blush probably there is a Thing that they're doing. This is a pretty common Art.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
this whole page is pretty =/

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

thetzar posted:

I'll give you one for that snap on the right.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Some of you don't seem to realise that you can educate yourself on how to interpret photography outside of this forum.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Oh look its the monthly "I know why this photo is bad but im going to post it anyways and get defensive when someone points it out " saga.

It's better to just ignore it. This happens all the time and it never goes anywhere. The conclusion is usually "you dont get my art" which you can't argue with.

Here is a picture of my nephew.

Adam by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

This is dope.

thetzar posted:

Dance it up by thetzar, on Flickr

These are great too.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

somnambulist posted:

Oh look its the monthly "I know why this photo is bad but im going to post it anyways and get defensive when someone points it out " saga.

Photos don't have to be good technically to be good.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Even "good technically" is still erroneous usage of good as it implies an objective standard for technique (which is a whole other can of worms, can you define technique?), which is wholly defined by context and in service of the purpose of a work.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Even "good technically" is still erroneous usage of good as it implies an objective standard for technique (which is a whole other can of worms, can you define technique?), which is wholly defined by context and in service of the purpose of a work.

You're right but I needed to dumb it down for this particular audience.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

MrBlandAverage posted:

Photos don't have to be good technically to be good.

Which falls into my "it only leads to "you don't get my art" comment.

This discussion won't go anywhere because nobody is interested in the critique, so it's pointless to discuss. This has happened a thousand times before.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Plenty of people are interested in a critique, but if you want to critique without spending some time learning and thinking first then don't be hurt when your critique is not well received.

somnambulist posted:

It's better to just ignore it. This happens all the time and it never goes anywhere. The conclusion is usually "you dont get my art" which you can't argue with.

This is not what is happening.

deaders fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 14, 2015

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

somnambulist posted:

Do you really think I post photos that I personally think are bad just to inflame this thread? No one has to appreciate my photos as "art" or enjoy them on any level but I really don't appreciate being accused of being an antagonist or intentionally ironic.

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 14, 2015

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
It doesn't happen so much here, but I've definitely found on my photo forum and photo chat room travels that there are plenty of photographers interested in posting images that are aesthetically pleasant. Not that they are pleasing pictorially, just that they look sort of pleasant. They're well exposed, colours all look complementary, the tones suit the mood. They are pleasant photos. If you showed them to someone not interested in photography the chances are they would respond, "Ooh. That's nice." They'd also be bored and want to go back to looking at Facebook on their phone.

I haven't yet gotten to a point where I can decide on the medium I use before I take a photo. At best I can decide between black and white and colour, and sometimes I might have a particular VSCO film look in mind when I take a shot. I have yet to get to a point where I know the media I use well enough to be able to take a photo with that in mind. The people posting Mavica shots are at that point. They are using that awfully fun little camera to bring out the most in it. The portraits aren't my favourite, although I quite like Musket's in your face, full on apathy and dead, red eyes and the dude relaxed and angry, reclining against the wall is a nice pose for a lovely reproduction. They work. The landscape mavica's are really fun. They remind me of the Cops' aesthetic and I'm fully expecting a scrawny meth addicted redneck, with badly died blonde hair to start going on about how her boyfriend beat her and she went back on crack after being off it for the weekend. She will probably flirt with the cop. It reminds me of the thrill of being 9 years old and wondering how the hell my parents and the TV network thought it was ok to broadcast this on Saturday night at 7pm right after my bath. WWF may have been watched that Saturday morning.

What pisses me off most about all this is that I've just written an experiential review of loving mavica shots, and not only do I have no cheap whiskey in the apartment to dull my senses but I'm also not medically allowed to have more than two drinks in a day. So "gently caress me!" I guess.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

ansel autisms posted:

Do you really think I post photos that I personally think are bad just to inflame this thread? No one has to appreciate my photos as "art" or enjoy them on any level but I really don't appreciate being accused of being an antagonist or intentionally ironic.

You're right actually. It's just such a weird community here now that repeats arguments in this odd cycle, and that was more my point then a criticism on your work (though I did feel your portraits were looking for SOME reaction as they were extremely unconventional). People camp inside the Canon thread complaining about dynamic range for pages and pages and pages (it's basically all people talk about these days), and then there's a fight over a portrait with blown out everything and an appreciation for things that are not conventional. I'm lost, but I will apologize to you. You're a good photographer, you didn't deserve that comment.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice
First time taking a picture of a human with the 50mm lens

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Buddha. posted:

First time taking a picture of a human with the 50mm lens

It may be that I don't understand your Art, but from my plebe, uneducated standpoint it appears that you got seduced by shallow depth of field and so only got the edge of his glasses in focus.

Or maybe that's just your Art. Hard to tell in this thread.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Been a while since I've posted anything. Had a fun shoot today. Not sure if I'm sold on the edit style yet, but here's a preliminary.

Glitter by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

edit: replaced with newer version

edit 2: I like this one better:
105A6865_web-2 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 16, 2015

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The Boy by torgeaux, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

CarrotFlowers posted:

Been a while since I've posted anything. Had a fun shoot today. Not sure if I'm sold on the edit style yet, but here's a preliminary.

Glitter by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

edit: replaced with newer version

This is rad, how did you make the gold stick to her?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

somnambulist posted:

Someone's clearly never been to a strip club ... that stuff sticks to everything.

For real though I do like the photo and editing.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
When I was very small, my aunt went on a backpacking trip in Europe and brought my mom back a pair of leiderhosen from Austria for me. So my whole life, there's been a portrait of me hanging over the fireplace at my moms wearing the leiderhosen - I caught a whole lot of crap for it in high school obviously. My wife's friend from Munich sent us this dirndl for my daughter 2 years ago and it finally fits her - I wanted this to have the "early 80's sears portrait studio" feel to it so it could hang next to my picture at grandma's house. My wife didn't want to cut her hair with bangs, so we had to pass on that bit of authenticity.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

somnambulist posted:

Thanks, credit all goes to my makeup artist but she had some glitter glue that is specifically for use on skin, apparently you can pick it up from sephora, ulta etc. Later in the shoot we ended up painting it everywhere, like solidly so those images are a bit less pretty and more weird.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

YashicaMat by alkanphel, on Flickr

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

When I was very small, my aunt went on a backpacking trip in Europe and brought my mom back a pair of leiderhosen from Austria for me. So my whole life, there's been a portrait of me hanging over the fireplace at my moms wearing the leiderhosen - I caught a whole lot of crap for it in high school obviously. My wife's friend from Munich sent us this dirndl for my daughter 2 years ago and it finally fits her - I wanted this to have the "early 80's sears portrait studio" feel to it so it could hang next to my picture at grandma's house. My wife didn't want to cut her hair with bangs, so we had to pass on that bit of authenticity.

It's funny how a little backstory adds to a photograph. It's great :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

timrenzi574 posted:

Yeah I would love to see both. I know it's been all over the internet with the "me as a child and me as an adult recreating the photo later in life" theme but this is a different take and the back story really makes it