Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's funny to see people complain about about the community going down hill considering Counter-Strike has been especially notable for it's terrible player base for more than 15 years now.

LLCoolJD posted:

I gave up playing when I started to follow random players after being killed. They'd run around facing walls, not looking where they were going. All the while keeping an eye on opposing players through walls across the map. So much cheating.

Over the last five years there's been an increasing use of cheats that function in a way intended to be unnoticed by spectators. Not only is the issue of cheating just as prevalent as always, now those using cheats are actively trying to mislead you into thinking they aren't. In a way this game has become worse. In terms of behavior, yeah, nothing's changed, mics are often twice as loud as they should be and the people using them still love declaring that you're a human being through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spcKsM-_AcM

This Britbong guy is an oddball but he's pretty darn funny. "I'm fwom Wun-DON Ing-a-lund"

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's funny to see people complain about about the community going down hill considering Counter-Strike has been especially notable for it's terrible player base for more than 15 years now.

15 years ago it just took too much effort and time to type fag in chat for most players, now everyone has a mic ready to go. Humanity is terrible and lazy

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Blister posted:

15 years ago it just took too much effort and time to type fag in chat for most players, now everyone has a mic ready to go. Humanity is terrible and lazy

Mics are for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIP95WmvPpQ

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

hampton posted:

Over the last five years there's been an increasing use of cheats that function in a way intended to be unnoticed by spectators. Not only is the issue of cheating just as prevalent as always, now those using cheats are actively trying to mislead you into thinking they aren't. In a way this game has become worse. In terms of behavior, yeah, nothing's changed, mics are often twice as loud as they should be and the people using them still love declaring that you're a human being through it.

People were doing this just as much before. Now that the game's all about being pseudo-competitive (you are pressing buttons on a computer lmfao chill) people care more and talk about it more.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Blister posted:

Counter-Strike's lack of respawns meant people had lots of time to type abuse at each other.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Bit late but I share my name with a murderer so I think I'd have to work pretty hard to beat him in the Google rankings.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stoat posted:

Bit late but I share my name with a murderer so I think I'd have to work pretty hard to beat him in the Google rankings.
Oh my gosh, you're George W. Bush and you're rich from oil death?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Some guy ruined a person's playthrough of Demon's Souls so hard that he wrote an article on Kotaku complaining about it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
To be honest, isn't Kotaku now essentially just a bitching hugbox?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did something change with Demons Souls multiplayer? Wasn't it just bad luck (probably from a near nonexistent user base) he kept getting that guy?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Len posted:

Did something change with Demons Souls multiplayer? Wasn't it just bad luck (probably from a near nonexistent user base) he kept getting that guy?

Naw, Potato Marshal is a dude who just snipes Demon Souls streams exclusively and does this pretty much all the time. It's a pretty boring grief because if you've seen one scraping spear/soul suck grief you have seen them all. But this is this dudes whole thing, every night all nights.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
The game also have a rather small player base now and if you stream snipe you can rig the odds of appearing too.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Rutkowski posted:

The game also have a rather small player base now and if you stream snipe you can rig the odds of appearing too.

That too, probably only a couple dozen people playing concurrently in the same zone at peak. It's a shame the great tater ruins one of the coolest boss fights in the game, but gotta get the lols where and when you can in this economy.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Gann Jerrod posted:

Some guy ruined a person's playthrough of Demon's Souls so hard that he wrote an article on Kotaku complaining about it.

Wow Klepek is a quite a little bitch.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Golden Goat posted:

Dude can't make up his mind how marshal is spelled either.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Golden Goat posted:

Dude should of just sacked up and gotten all his equipment broken and got de-leveled and just GOT FUCKIN GUD.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Is there any reason he had to keep streaming? Maybe add a delay or just record it and put the video up later.

He played right into the griefers hands which is just perfect.

I've seen him ragequit spelunky before, are there any other klepek ragequit vids?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Machai posted:

Is there any reason he had to keep streaming? Maybe add a delay or just record it and put the video up later.

I've seen him ragequit spelunky before, are there any other klepek ragequit vids?

That's how every game of Spelunky ends though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

taels posted:

ok with my post in thread and subsequent probate.

id like to say good grief, my post was referring to the tryhard fanboys who think ffxiv is a godsend that can do no wrong that told me to gtfo when i explained in depth how some of the most rewarding mechanics were removed to make it more "wow" like.

i came here to vent at their trolling ( i hope) or unhealthy tryhard fanboy poo poo.

and got banned on account of my post here.

well done mod lol.

also when i was in college, i would spend many 12-48 hr long straight sleepless periods writing in the library. id take a cig break and grab a banana, then suspiciously sneak pink panther style infront of campus security vehicles and lay the banana peels in the road in front of them, then go hide behind a bush. my personal favorite irl grief

im glad my post had a payoff in the end

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Machai posted:

aspergers and/or autism

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Gann Jerrod posted:

Reads more like the Keplek was impressed by the griefer, imo. Change the perspective of the article and it doesn't sound to different from posts here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't you have to do something to make your stream be live? Mine has always been 30 seconds behind and I don't see any setting to change that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cojawfee posted:

Don't you have to do something to make your stream be live? Mine has always been 30 seconds behind and I don't see any setting to change that.

Broadcasting settings. Most streams are a little bit behind, even by a few seconds. Mine are about 10-15 seconds behind, but i've only tried to stream twice and both times another goon was doing a better job.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's a Youtube video of some guys playing Fibbage where one of them's streaming it and the others are able to play along, so clearly it's possible to get the delay fairly low.

Espio
Feb 24, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

There's a Youtube video of some guys playing Fibbage where one of them's streaming it and the others are able to play along, so clearly it's possible to get the delay fairly low.

Depends how old the video is, also may matter how big the audience is and how many people are using Twitch at the time

About 2 years ago they started getting massively popular (partly because own3d stopped paying people and shut down), before then you could get it down to about 1-2 seconds, obviously this system was pretty nice but proved too difficult/expensive to work on a larger scale and there was a ton of down time and laggy streams from the servers being overloaded

So they changed something to make the site be usable in peak times and during big events, the downside being that delay would be about 20-30 seconds, and it's been like that since

quick edit: just to clarify it's always 15+ seconds of delay now, not just during events or w/e, but that time difference definitely has some variance (it used to back in the day too but it would be like up to 5 seconds of natural delay)

also you can set an extra delay in the broadcast

Espio fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 20, 2015

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

This is a Day Z video. I like it very much https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaIIpW0mAX8

His other videos are very good too, some of his Second Life stuff already got posted.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Espio posted:

About 2 years ago they started getting massively popular (partly because own3d stopped paying people and shut down), before then you could get it down to about 1-2 seconds, obviously this system was pretty nice but proved too difficult/expensive to work on a larger scale and there was a ton of down time and laggy streams from the servers being overloaded

So they changed something to make the site be usable in peak times and during big events, the downside being that delay would be about 20-30 seconds, and it's been like that since

quick edit: just to clarify it's always 15+ seconds of delay now, not just during events or w/e, but that time difference definitely has some variance (it used to back in the day too but it would be like up to 5 seconds of natural delay)

If anyone is wondering, they moved from RTMP streaming (almost realtime; think of it as a single actual stream) to DASH/HLS/whatever it's called now - below is an oversimplified explanation.

Not exactly a "stream", it's effectively your client (in this case Flash Player) downloading lots of small .mp4 files. It can be served like a normal webpage and static download, so scaling it is significantly easier/faster. Instead of everyone getting a direct socket, everyone is just downloading static files off a webserver.

The player gets pointed to what is basically a m3u8/Apple HLS playlist, which is just a list of URLs to .mp4 files. Pretty much downloading a video file, playing it, and downloading the next one. When it hits the end it regrabs a playlist and continues. The longer you continue watching on twitch (with the twitch/flash player), the more out of sync you can get. In some cases you can be several minutes behind or more if you just leave it on all day.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 20, 2015

Bonald Farndhardt
Apr 18, 2005
Ye it up
Some bros have their League of Legends match ruined by guacamole, but at least they were good sports about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF1oCa1qoV0

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012
ha·rass·ment
noun
aggressive pressure or intimidation

ru·in
verb
cause great and usually irreparable damage or harm to; have a disastrous effect on

ep·ic
adjective
particularly impressive or remarkable

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

hampton posted:

ha·rass·ment
noun
aggressive pressure or intimidation

ru·in
verb
cause great and usually irreparable damage or harm to; have a disastrous effect on

ep·ic
adjective
particularly impressive or remarkable

it's not really griefing but it is funny.

Taxman84
Feb 11, 2015

FutonForensic posted:

This is a Day Z video. I like it very much https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaIIpW0mAX8

His other videos are very good too, some of his Second Life stuff already got posted.

That was actually really funny. No idea why people don't just kill him once he attacks them with a knife.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Taxman84 posted:

That was actually really funny. No idea why people don't just kill him once he attacks them with a knife.

Its his calm flat tone. He sounds like he's patiently following instructions from a tech support call while accidentally doing everything wrong. I also love how his friendly/confused tone demolishes people's roleplay.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

wit posted:

Its his calm flat tone. He sounds like he's patiently following instructions from a tech support call while accidentally doing everything wrong. I also love how his friendly/confused tone demolishes people's roleplay.

"hello?"

"uh, yeah."

"alright."

"hello?"

"sure."

"i wanna build a boat?"

"hello?"

"uh, yep."

"ok."

:allears:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"Are you okay?"

*corpse suddenly slides downhill*

I get why people love this game.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Battlefield: Hardline features a map called The Block, which is a very tight, narrow map that gets congested very quickly, especially with 64 players playing at once. This tends to not be very fun, but can be very useful for grinding out experience and cash, so there are several "meat locker" servers that run this map 24/7. One such map forbids people from using grenades or explosives in order to make the congestion less of an issue, and enforces this rule by automatically kicking explosive/grenade users and banning repeat offenders.

Hardline has an auto-grenade button, but it's possible to select your grenade as a weapon by pressing 5. Pressing 5 and holding down left mouse "cooks" the grenade, but you can hold it down indefinitely. Killing an enemy who is in the process of throwing a grenade (or cooking it) turns the grenade into your own, and any enemies killed by that grenade are kills granted to you.

The server in question runs a script to automatically kick/ban grenade/explosive users, and it doesn't have the ability to tell whether or not someone has died due to a cooked grenade that belonged to someone else beforehand.

Cue goons equipping their grenade via 5, holding down left mouse, and running right into enemies to instantly die and drop their grenades, now their enemy's grenades, earning like 5 kills because The Block is so goddamn crowded, and the enemy getting booted off the server because the server thinks the enemy threw a frag. Enemy comes back into the server, confused, and keeps playing. Goons keep doing this, and eventually people get banned for 24 hours for throwing grenades, cuing admins to come into the server to manually undo bans and complain about "nade-baiters."

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Bonald Farndhardt posted:

Some bros have their League of Legends match ruined by guacamole, but at least they were good sports about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF1oCa1qoV0

Hahah, that was actually brilliant.

I think on balance, I think I prefer the ones where the 'victims' also find it funny. It means that the 'grief' is something that is genuinely funny, rather than just, you know, schadenfreude. Which can be great too, of course.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

Battlefield: Hardline features a map called The Block, which is a very tight, narrow map that gets congested very quickly, especially with 64 players playing at once. This tends to not be very fun, but can be very useful for grinding out experience and cash, so there are several "meat locker" servers that run this map 24/7. One such map forbids people from using grenades or explosives in order to make the congestion less of an issue, and enforces this rule by automatically kicking explosive/grenade users and banning repeat offenders.

Hardline has an auto-grenade button, but it's possible to select your grenade as a weapon by pressing 5. Pressing 5 and holding down left mouse "cooks" the grenade, but you can hold it down indefinitely. Killing an enemy who is in the process of throwing a grenade (or cooking it) turns the grenade into your own, and any enemies killed by that grenade are kills granted to you.

The server in question runs a script to automatically kick/ban grenade/explosive users, and it doesn't have the ability to tell whether or not someone has died due to a cooked grenade that belonged to someone else beforehand.

Cue goons equipping their grenade via 5, holding down left mouse, and running right into enemies to instantly die and drop their grenades, now their enemy's grenades, earning like 5 kills because The Block is so goddamn crowded, and the enemy getting booted off the server because the server thinks the enemy threw a frag. Enemy comes back into the server, confused, and keeps playing. Goons keep doing this, and eventually people get banned for 24 hours for throwing grenades, cuing admins to come into the server to manually undo bans and complain about "nade-baiters."

is this one big sex pun?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

!Klams posted:

Hahah, that was actually brilliant.

I think on balance, I think I prefer the ones where the 'victims' also find it funny. It means that the 'grief' is something that is genuinely funny, rather than just, you know, schadenfreude. Which can be great too, of course.

The "Xbox Sign Out" video is like that- most of the people who fall for it seem to find it funny and appreciate the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Machai posted:

is this one big sex pun?

Meat locker is such a cringey phrase so I really wish it wasn't, but now you've pointed it out I can't see it any other way.

• Locked thread