Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Great work Ddraig. I like how you always add little nooks and crannies of lore into mod packages you present :)

So as people know I'm working on a mod called Ultimate Weapon Renewal, which will soon be branched out into several projects: the weapon mod, the weather mod, and a mix of both plus new gameplay features. I asked Ddraig if he would be interested in being on board and he may be interested, which would be awesome. I plan on adding engine extensions for anything he wants done in the game for the gameplay mod.

However, I'm posting because I want to start working on a weather mod. I have Cromm Cruac's blessing to use Atmosfear 3 as a base as well as use some higher-res version of skyboxes he made for Lost Alpha that he will send me next week. Cromm had asked me to make many of the changes I made to the weather system because he wanted to make Atmosfear 4, but unfortunately he told me today he no longer has time to mod. I'm also waiting for VincentVega to get back to me (SWTC mod).

Anyway, features so far:
  • Uses latest version of Open Xray engine which has tons of new features, LUAJit 2.0, and is compatible with any mods that don't modify the engine (Shoker won't work, neither will Gunslinger when it comes out. Tried to get them to work cooperatively with me but they won't...).
  • Sun mask (cloud shadows) that works in DX9, 10, and 11 (previously only worked in DX9)
  • Rainbows in DX9 (usually only appear on rare occasions when the weather is just right, usually after a rain storm and the sun has come back out). Planning on adding them to DX10/11 if someone knowing HLSL can help me with porting it there (the shader author doesn't seem to understand how to get it working in DX10/11 or even why it works in DX9, so no help there).
  • Grass waves (used in Lost Alpha too) Note: I may make them configurable in the weather ltx's so it can vary depending on weather and turn off entirely at times.
  • Tree sway amplitude configurable in weather configs
  • Skybox stretch fix (you can use normal size skyboxes in COP now)
  • Sun direction is based on weather configs now
  • Rain direction more affected by wind gusts

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they'd like to see in a weather mod let me know. I'm considering removing the foggy weather cycles from AF3 because it clips indoors and it can sometimes revert to using foggy weather on loading a previous save.
If anyone knows of any bugs with AF3 they'd like to share let me know as I'm using those scripts and configs as a base and going from there.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I really need to learn how classes work a bit better. I have a few neat ideas for anomalies but class structure that you sort of need for binders is odd at times.

One thing I wanted to do for Lost Alphas hardcore mode was to tie in radiation effects to actual weather cycles, so in each weather transition having something like 'radiation_factor' in the weather configs so you can have heavier radiation with heavier rain/fog or whatever instead of just having a blanket level that randomly fluctuates.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

I really need to learn how classes work a bit better. I have a few neat ideas for anomalies but class structure that you sort of need for binders is odd at times.

One thing I wanted to do for Lost Alphas hardcore mode was to tie in radiation effects to actual weather cycles, so in each weather transition having something like 'radiation_factor' in the weather configs so you can have heavier radiation with heavier rain/fog or whatever instead of just having a blanket level that randomly fluctuates.

So in away you're proposing removing the fallout rain cycle from Atmosfear 3 and replacing it with a dynamic system based on the configs? I'm pretty sure I can do that.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I guess so. It would allow for much more random weather in that if all potential rain has the ability to be radioactive you can set much more specific conditions on when it would actually kick in rather than having one cycle being radioactive and that's it.

Right now I'm using FGlock's hardcore mod as the basis and it basically just has a uniform radiation scale based on a certain weather being present and that's it.

Incidentally here's the 'full' easter egg. It requires a certain weapon and suit and you to be using both at the same time.

Was a dumb thing I decided to put in.

Was considering making a special ppe file that turns colour saturation way up but :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe1-udNqK7o

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 13, 2015

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Thorn, just found it.

Ddraig, man, I really like the new (closer to roadside picnic?) anomaly effects: sproooooooiiiiiiing!
also ".ugh..sukaah" on death is nice,
You could probably sample a whole bunch of "..byliiiat" from Russian dashcam vids as well.

So far so good. thanks a lot for your hard work.

Swartz, good to see you again. only thing I can think of regarding weather is stalkers/mutants disliking thunderstorms, so they would maybe find shelter, akin to stalkers running for shelter during blowouts, especially if the rain is toxic/radioactive. while the mutants are less affected, thunder and lightning may put them on edge.

Also during the same : electro anomalies could become more vigorous before, during and after storms, sending arc's into the sky and around them.

staberind fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 14, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
http://www.mediafire.com/download/44c9m98f8veloz7/Hotfix.7z

quote:

Version 1.0.3.3: Self-Centered

* Fixed wonky G36 scope.
* Modified se_artefact.script - should hopefully fix weird artefact behaviour.
* Disabled erroneous nightvision on PSO-3 scope.
* Added article information for Stalker's Remorse.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ddraig posted:

I guess so. It would allow for much more random weather in that if all potential rain has the ability to be radioactive you can set much more specific conditions on when it would actually kick in rather than having one cycle being radioactive and that's it.

Right now I'm using FGlock's hardcore mod as the basis and it basically just has a uniform radiation scale based on a certain weather being present and that's it.

Incidentally here's the 'full' easter egg. It requires a certain weapon and suit and you to be using both at the same time.

Was considering making a special ppe file that turns colour saturation way up but :effort:

God, that mask is sooooo creepy

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Well he is a bit of a beast.

Unfortunately you can't really do helmets in the engine otherwise I would have made it wearable.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ddraig posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5ka3u7n2iaf6u3h/Hotfix.7z

New hotfix:

Implementing the black parasite is a pain in the rear end, by the way. I have to get a good balance of it being a big enough problem to want to get rid of it, but not enough to make the game annoying as hell.

Why not set it up like the bleeding issue?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm thinking about doing another stalker run-through and I want to know what the best "Free-Roaming" mod that is out right now.

It used to be The Faction War but it seems ddraig has moved onto lost alpha which isn't free roaming.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
its still TFW, hth

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
So besides the previously posted TFW and TFW patch file, is there anything else I need for Clear Sky?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
http://stalkercs.gamebanana.com/skins/51998

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Discussion> Games> S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: we may never solve the mystery of the doggles

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I'm taking a bit of a time out on creating new effects for the Parasite to code a little thing I wanted to for a while now, a "lottery" of sorts.

Every 7 in game days, a lottery is drawn, and if you win you can win a certain amount of cash. Snitch in the bar is setting it up to 'raise funds' for various endeavors.

Stalkersoup/DMX have something similar with the "Totalizer" but it's way more complicated than it needs to be

The only problem I have is determining the odds of winning. It would be largely based on the amount of people 'playing' at any given time, so I'm thinking along the lines of about 1 in 200 since I guess there's not likely to be much more than that in the Zone at any given opportunity.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Ddraig posted:

So I'm taking a bit of a time out on creating new effects for the Parasite to code a little thing I wanted to for a while now, a "lottery" of sorts.

Every 7 in game days, a lottery is drawn, and if you win you can win a certain amount of cash. Snitch in the bar is setting it up to 'raise funds' for various endeavors.

Stalkersoup/DMX have something similar with the "Totalizer" but it's way more complicated than it needs to be

The only problem I have is determining the odds of winning. It would be largely based on the amount of people 'playing' at any given time, so I'm thinking along the lines of about 1 in 200 since I guess there's not likely to be much more than that in the Zone at any given opportunity.

Lol, by default isn't the Marked One like #800 on the "Top 20 S.T.A.L.K.E.R's" thing?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I guess so. It just seem odd that the Zone seemingly has the population of a small country in it most times.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Btw here's something people might be interested in.

Dezowave released the Lost Alpha SDK a while ago, which in addition to the actual SDK also contains a few useful tools (mainly for dialog etc.) and pretty extensive documentation.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d4w4gg4n28a0507/Documentation.7z

Some of it is in Russian, and a lot of it you can find elsewhere, but one neat thing they did include is their "internal use only" Xray documentation, which includes a pretty extensive guide to modding virtually all aspects of the configs/scripts, including pretty detailed descriptions of what various scripting functions do and how to use them.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I was looking to play SOC again, so I stopped by MODDB to check on the status of L.U.R.K. only to find it had been cancelled months ago. I guess that kind of stuff doesn't make its way to you when you've spent the last 3 months deep in ArcGIS and knee deep in estuaries.

Very sad about LURKs cancellation though I can't say I didn't see it coming, after being in development hell for years.

Anyway, I have some cooling time between quarters. So what are the new hotness in SOC? Is there anyway to get any of the COP features into SOC like the weapon modding and stuff? I loved the interface for it in COP, it was great.

Otherwise I'm looking at ZRP or maybe Lost Alpha, I don't know about anything else.

Hit me with the knowledge!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

Btw here's something people might be interested in.

Dezowave released the Lost Alpha SDK a while ago, which in addition to the actual SDK also contains a few useful tools (mainly for dialog etc.) and pretty extensive documentation.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d4w4gg4n28a0507/Documentation.7z

Some of it is in Russian, and a lot of it you can find elsewhere, but one neat thing they did include is their "internal use only" Xray documentation, which includes a pretty extensive guide to modding virtually all aspects of the configs/scripts, including pretty detailed descriptions of what various scripting functions do and how to use them.

That looks useful,
So, I have made it to Streloks stash in Agroprom, The issue I have had so far is loading, the escape menu and the quicksave all seem to take a longer than usual,, even running off an ssd. I'm always worried that its crashing.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Ddraig, are the hotfixes cumulative?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yes

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The description of Misery from the OP makes it sound like it's mostly atmospheric changes (Texture, filter, whatever) to make the game less cheerful. It doesn't go into gameplay changes much. I'm at work now so I can't try it out but I downloaded Misery last night; what sort of changes to gameplay can I expect when I get home?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

khy posted:

The description of Misery from the OP makes it sound like it's mostly atmospheric changes (Texture, filter, whatever) to make the game less cheerful. It doesn't go into gameplay changes much. I'm at work now so I can't try it out but I downloaded Misery last night; what sort of changes to gameplay can I expect when I get home?

If it's 2.0, you will find an enormous number of small meaningless items everywhere and you will have to dig through them at the shops at least once to find several important things, like the headlamp which lets you actually use the flashlight the way you're used to instead of needing to use the wind-up flashlight, which goes in the detector slot.

Everything will kill you instantly. Half of the time you spend not in menus sorting through crap will be spent in loading screens as you repeatedly quickload your way through every encounter.

Many things will take a silly amount of punishment in comparison. Do not pick USS recon for your first time because it specializes in the weapons that most enemies tend to laugh off. (USS sniper specializes in things that actually do damage sometimes)

You can loot parts from mutants and sell them or sometimes cook them. Get Les Miserables so you don't have to wait for the dumb "animation" to play every time you loot something (although unfortunately it hasn't removed the cooking animations yet so you get to wait for 20 seconds for each and every meat you cook).

There's a lot of new content in terms of items and weapons but artifacts and quests are mostly unchanged. You can put some new items in the artifact slots though. You have to carry a very heavy container around for each artifact or else it will give you radiation, even if it's just in your inventory and not in your belt.

When you're not in a menu and not quickloading (so ~10% of the time) the presentation is really good.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

khy posted:

The bulk of the stuff it adds does have gameplay effects but most of it makes your life harder or is negligible. If you love roleplaying being in an almost surreal russian wasteland then it's the mod to go with.

Last night I was playing Misery 2.0 and I was just running around making money by hunting mutants, and got caught in a bad spot with a controller. I just crouched in a corner and started smoking handfuls of marijuana because it wards against psi damage. I tried to sleep after clearing out the area but I had some radiation sickness so I just starting drinking through the 30 different types of beers and vodka that was in my inventory to go to sleep.

I wouldn't say it's fun to do a full playthrough of the game unless you're a masochist but that mod is an amazing thing to experience.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

A Jupiter posted:

If you love roleplaying being in an almost surreal russian wasteland then it's the mod to go with.

I... I do... but at the same time it sounds like it might take too much of the fun out in the name of 'realism'.

I'll give it a try, what have I got to lose

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Ddraig posted:

That video is basically Hotline Miami 2 in a nutshell, if only those guys were standing behind a window!

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Welp, I liked Misery 2 so much that I loaded up my old Misery 1 data and started on it again. Everything has gone well so far, except one thing, and I'm not sure if it's intentonal: I picked Assault as my first class when playing, and when I look down iron sights (not scope), the camera will zoom out a tad instead of in as normal or remaining neutral. If the class isn't made that way, could it be because I changed FOV size when it was listed as an option?

Either way, I'd like to change it so that weapons across the board have a slight zoom or at least don't zoom out. Something closer to vanilla would be peachy. I think I need to change something in the weapons.ltx folder, but I'm unsure of how much Misery 1 differs from vanilla. Does anyone know off the top of their heads how I could change it without screwing something up?

khy posted:

So, there's Misery 1 and Misery 2. Misery 1 feels much closer to vanilla COP, with the most noticeable differences stemming from audio/visuals, the class system, some of the physics and interactions with weapons, new stuff, less valuable loot and things feeling more valuable in general because the economy is much tighter.

Misery 2 is all of that plus a shitton of new items (which either do nothing or are necessary to do something trivial), different stashes (with garbage), and a bunch of other things that will make your life short and interesting. The weather looks real fuckin' cool at least. Early on I had a grey out of dense fog while poking through some woods I knew inhabited mutants, but unsure of where they were the whole time. Mutants are kinda crazy, too; they don't make as much sound as usual and their speed is turned up to 35 MPH at a trot. Kinda annoying to just get nailed by a pseudodog hiding behind a bush that just soundlessly zoomed up and bit your head off, but I guess it makes your daily exercise all that more exciting.

Artefacts are a pain in the rear end and I don't think there's any reason to keep them. They're basically annoying money now.

Also, it doesn't seem like ordinary stalkers hang out in the wilderness as much, or at least I can never find them alive. Looted a bunch of dead and heavily geared ones from the start of the game; not sure if I got lucky or if the mutants just murder NPCs as soon as they spawn in.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'd love misery if it were complete freeroam and wasn't on the same crappy three and 1/2 a map world that CoP is on.

I really would like to apply for Call of Chernobyl beta testing but I feel that's been beaten into the ground and will not get up for a while. I legitimately would love to contribute to the building of that mod. It seems like it will be the perfect platform for modders to bring out the full essence of stalker (Call me when there's a good faction war mod for CoC). I can think of a few things just off the top of my head that I'd imagine would go wrong right off the bat. I dunno if they're taken into account or even things to worry about in the first place.

I'll apply anyway.. The only reason why I'm "good" at stalker is because I was a diehard fan before SHoC even graced the store shelves (oh, and I've played the series to absolute death and still love it). I even know my way around the code somewhat. Would that even stand out against the legions of people signing up just because they want to play the game early?

Can Lost Alpha provide that "stalker roleplay" experience that misery does? And also the misery.. And does Lost Alpha have those stupid bullet sponge human enemies or is the gunplay "realistic"?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 17, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I feel like anyone wanting to try out misery should first try misery 1.0 and see if they like it at all, since it's still hard as nails but much more tame than 2.0, and if you don't like 1.0 you're going to hate 2.0 anyway. I still think it's a better way to enjoy all the effort they put into the presentation and atmosphere without having to deal with as many of the terrible things they did to the game itself.

Except the misery devs actually took 1.0 off their moddb page for reasons unclear, so it can probably only be found from private uploads on other sites now.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm checking Russian sites for Misery 1.0

I might take the time to make a Misery 1.5 that includes all the graphical/atmospheric updates 2.11 provides over Misery 1.0 but without all the bullshit gameplay decisions. Would anyone be interested?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

NeoSeeker posted:

I'd love misery if it were complete freeroam and wasn't on the same crappy three and 1/2 a map world that CoP is on.

I really would like to apply for Call of Chernobyl beta testing but I feel that's been beaten into the ground and will not get up for a while. I legitimately would love to contribute to the building of that mod. It seems like it will be the perfect platform for modders to bring out the full essence of stalker (Call me when there's a good faction war mod for CoC). I can think of a few things just off the top of my head that I'd imagine would go wrong right off the bat. I dunno if they're taken into account or even things to worry about in the first place.

I'll apply anyway.. The only reason why I'm "good" at stalker is because I was a diehard fan before SHoC even graced the store shelves (oh, and I've played the series to absolute death and still love it). I even know my way around the code somewhat. Would that even stand out against the legions of people signing up just because they want to play the game early?

Can Lost Alpha provide that "stalker roleplay" experience that misery does? And also the misery.. And does Lost Alpha have those stupid bullet sponge human enemies or is the gunplay "realistic"?

If you want to apply as a beta tester for COC you can do so here: http://forum.epicstalker.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=130&start=60
Note however that both Bangalore and Alundaio are currently taking a break and will probably not be back accepting new testers or doing anything really for around a month (guessing, but my history with them shows 1-2 month average "vacations").

If you are really serious about testing and promise you're not just using it as an excuse to play the mod early, I'll put in a good word for you with them (just give me the epic stalker username you're using).

Ddraig posted:

Misery 1.5. Would anyone be interested?

Yes please.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It might be a fun diversion. I'm thinking of keeping a few of the scripted elements that work (i.e. Alundaio's contributions) and basically removing all the ridiculous clutter (no more soiled underwear), ludicrous mutant spawns etc.

Just about the only things I'd keep from Misery 2.1.1 are the graphical/atmospheric updates and maybe the weapons, since there's a large amount and they're actually pretty good. All the cool little scripted stuff like stalkers surrendering, different start positions etc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ddraig posted:

I might take the time to make a Misery 1.5 that includes all the graphical/atmospheric updates 2.11 provides over Misery 1.0 but without all the bullshit gameplay decisions. Would anyone be interested?

I'd be so interested.

FWIW I think misery 2.0 has a lot of good points that are worth keeping (there's a reason I still finished the drat thing and went back to start as another class), like all the new weapons, at least some new items, the mutant looting and cooking meat minus the dumb animations, the class system in general with different starts, etc. The presentation in terms of graphics and sound is the best I've seen in any mod, and it does seem to almost have functional stealth. There's just a ton of collateral damage with all that stuff as well as features that just don't improve anything.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah I'd probably keep some of the actual useful items. I just don't really feel an economy based off lovely underwear and beat up copies of Mein Kampf has any real merit. Likewise, artefacts being little more than radioactive lumps of crap is pretty bad.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'd love to see Misery 1 with the presentation of Misery 2.

I would also love to know where all of the emission shelters are, or some way to turn the indicators back on. Maybe I'm just not a true stalker, but I don't have them memorized aside from the obvious ones and I just used my last anabiotic.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm not sure if they ever fixed it (I tried several times) but they set the wrong condition on displaying emission shelter in the options so if you set it to on, it will actually hide them and vice versa.

e: Aside from the presentation aspects, I guess I'd be interested to know what elements from 2.1.1 people would actually want to keep.

The scripted AI improvements from Alundaio are a no-brainer. As terrible as some of the design choices for Misery were, involving Alundaio was one of the smarter moves they had.

The class system with the easy switch would be another. The different starts/black road options maybe aswell.

All of the functional, useful stuff like sleeping bags, quick release systems and other assorted goodies.

The weapons aswell, although I do know they hosed around with them quite a bit to make them 'ultra realistic' so it may be hard to bring them into functioning normally.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 17, 2015

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Swartz posted:

If you are really serious about testing and promise you're not just using it as an excuse to play the mod early, I'll put in a good word for you with them (just give me the epic stalker username you're using).

Foodstuffs, just joined on the forums.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
NA servers just went up for Surviviviarium if anyone has been holding out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ddraig posted:

This would be great! 4chan's Stalker General lists a mega with misery 1 and all available patches. I can't get to either from here, so no direct link, sorry.