Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
yeah i read Ready Player One and it was not good, like at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i really liked clipping through, leigh alexander's memoir about attending gdc 2014

(of course i did :shobon:)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

maniacdevnull posted:

click on it you maroon

I did. I have a box with no explanation behind ":("

Hovering doesn't do anything, clicking doesn't do anything.

WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE ANGRY.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

at least their honest but that reads like hyperactive morning talk radio. *~*~fartzzzzz buzzzzz~*~*

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Deviant posted:

Maybe it's gone? What you're describing sounds like the little icon that shows on residential buildings that have sick people in them, they usually disappear when an ambulance gets to them.

also get used to seeing the indicator for dead bodies popping up, the game seems to have a real hard time routing hearses

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Jonad posted:

Maybe it's gone? What you're describing sounds like the little icon that shows on residential buildings that have sick people in them, they usually disappear when an ambulance gets to them.

also get used to seeing the indicator for dead bodies popping up, the game seems to have a real hard time routing hearses

Yes, other buildings are giving me explanations, such as "Not enough workers", but some buildings are just unhappy and I can't figure out why. This house is in a residential area, surrounded by other houses, clean ground.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

maybe they're mad about their mayor's life choices?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Necronomoticon posted:

at least their honest but that reads like hyperactive morning talk radio. *~*~fartzzzzz buzzzzz~*~*
wow how have you never listened to a podcast until now

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

yeah i read Ready Player One and it was not good, like at all

yeah that book is a piece of poo poo and i have no idea why it's so well regarded.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

anthonypants posted:

wow how have you never listened to a podcast until now

fuuuuuuuck. this was early in the morning, hungover in bed, without my glasses on.

i should know better.

please.

help.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Blackula69 posted:

e: are there good books about video games
If you are an old and have an interest in the early years of arcade games, this is worth a punt:

http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Quarter-25-year-History/dp/0970475500

according to Amazon I bought this Feb 02 2001

also jokeposting:

http://www.amazon.com/Bedlam-Christopher-Brookmyre-ebook/dp/B0091LL6D4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also masters of doom

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!
'the legend of the ten elemental masters' by nick smith (aka 'ulillillia') is the only worthwhile video game book.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

wesley snypes posted:

'the legend of the ten elemental masters' by nick smith (aka 'ulillillia') is the only worthwhile video game book.

note this is also available on kindle so you have no excuses.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
someone recommended this a while back

http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Desktops-History-Computer-Role-Playing/dp/1568814119

Dungeons and Desktops: The History of Computer Role-Playing Games

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

cory doctorow is president and wil wheaton is vp in ready player one :laffo: forever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Deviant posted:

check ur overlays, especially education and recreation b/c i don't think they show up as a bubble like trash/sewage/water/etc...

So in skylines eventually once you get some good exporting industries like oil and then ur high density commercial you check off all the pro business policies and it massively increases your income.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

check ur overlays, especially education and recreation b/c i don't think they show up as a bubble like trash/sewage/water/etc...

So in skylines eventually once you get some good exporting industries like oil and then ur high density commercial you check off all the pro business policies and it massively increases your income.
income and income growth are the only things that matter

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

cory doctorow is president and wil wheaton is vp in ready player one :laffo: forever

cory doctorow wrote a dystopian novel and named the protagonist w1nst0n

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yeah i could do that, but loving why won't he just tell me why he's mad instead of making me hunt through how many different overlays. it's loving stupid.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah theres a lot of stuff like that that's missing in the game. i wonder if it could be modded in

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

me am love being pandered to

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

yeah theres a lot of stuff like that that's missing in the game. i wonder if it could be modded in

a guy just modded in a sc4 style traffic query tool so it's probably possible

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Blackula69 posted:

my post-grad degree is literally in reading and writing so probably not

i kinda liked racing the beam, it's got some interesting (if heavy on technical detail) stories about people replicating arcade games on a really limited system

the catch: these stories are broken up by excruciating analysis of Video Games As A Medium

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

saucepanman posted:

a guy just modded in a sc4 style traffic query tool so it's probably possible

i like the mod that re-enables achievements that are normally disabled when mods are enabled

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

corn in the bible posted:

where Tor and all-but-in-name Dreamcasts are integral plot elements

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blackula69 posted:

my post-grad degree is literally in reading and writing so probably not

i liked console wars but it's much more about business and marketing than about video games in culture

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

carry on then posted:

i liked console wars but it's much more about business and marketing than about video games in culture

thanks, i also like those things

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]

Raged posted:

I'm hoping it's good. I really don't want to have to sink tons of hours into lol or dota just to get barley competent. I have heard people call it dota for babies. That sounds like a ringing endorsement for me and many others.

i didn't care for it tbh but i'm not the target audience. they're doing rolling beta invites and it seems pretty easy to get one, you should opt in and see if you like it

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

haveblue posted:

also masters of doom

masters of doom is good.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Raged posted:

I'm hoping it's good. I really don't want to have to sink tons of hours into lol or dota just to get barley competent. I have heard people call it dota for babies. That sounds like a ringing endorsement for me and many others.

not only are you admitting to playing dota, you're admitting to being bad at it so you want to play blizzard's roundly derided cash-in dota-lite?

i mean come on

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

tbh heroes is only roundly derided by people who already play either league or dota. there may well be a market for a game like that that isn't for people like me who are fundamentally broken

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i opted into the hots beta, if i get it, i assume i will play 1-2 rounds and get annoyed and quit.

:sigh: I miss Super Monday Night Combat. Before they hosed it up.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Blackula69 posted:

racing the beam

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Deviant posted:

:sigh: I miss Super Monday Night Combat. Before they hosed it up.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

As somebody who's never played Dota or League, the HotS map gimmicks sound interesting to me, but I'm never going to play it either.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

are these good computer temperatures?

earlier my computer got real slow and shut down so i restarted it and the bios said the cpu was at 92 degrees celsius so i took off the fan and heatsink, cleaned off the paste, and put new paste on but i dont think i got the fan/heatsink to seat right. im using the stock intel heatsink and fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

are these good computer temperatures?

earlier my computer got real slow and shut down so i restarted it and the bios said the cpu was at 92 degrees celsius so i took off the fan and heatsink, cleaned off the paste, and put new paste on but i dont think i got the fan/heatsink to seat right. im using the stock intel heatsink and fan
what are they at 100% load? my i5 whatever idles at 30C but i have a giant heatsink on it

• Locked thread