Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Most BMWs are ugly. The E30 exceptionally so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Can't tell if you're being serious or just blind. Most new BMWs fit that description. The E30? No sir.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

travisray2004 posted:

Can't tell if you're being serious or just blind. Most new BMWs fit that description. The E30? No sir.

Spoken like someone who's never been behind the wheel of an e90/F30

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If it wasn't for the 3-series I'd actually have to talk to someone to find out they just got their MBA

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
wow such an ugly piece of poo poo

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

travisray2004 posted:

HEY VAPER posted:

wow such an ugly piece of poo poo

Sincere agreement.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I like the E30 but I won't deny that it is a very plain set of three boxes made into a car.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

blk
Dec 19, 2009

dissss posted:

I like how a pristine E36 looks but anything even slightly neglected ends up looking horrible.

This is true of most 90s cars; I certainly notice it with Miatas. I think part of it is paint; most of them have long lost the color richness and shininess that newer cars still carry when neglected, just due to the difference in age.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

razorscooter posted:

I like the E30 but I won't deny that it is a very plain set of three boxes made into a car.

boxes can be beautiful

but I also think the organic overly swoopy high beltline cars of today are pretty awful looking in general so if you like new cars you probably won't agree with me on anything

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Read about a new car you like? Post it here, in the news-thread! gently caress you your favorite car is poo poo :unsmigghh:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

HEY VAPER posted:

The pre-facelift e46 was the first of the worst, but mostly because that's the point where the 3 series became obese. It isn't a visually offensive car, but park an e30 or e36 next to an e46 and you would think it's a 5 series if you didn't know better.

This is a really ignorant statement, as depending on options an E46 weighs within 40-50 lbs of an E36, while the E36 is at minimum several hundred pounds heavier than an E30. The E46 is also still quite a compact car by modern standards - mine is smaller than the 2001 Civic it replaced, and I park it in a single car garage and still have enough room to fit three shelving units, two full size garbage/recycling bins, a tool cart, and two large motorcycles. I've once walked out to my E46 in a parking lot and panicked because I thought it was gone, only to get closer and realize it was just hiding behind the neighbor's old Corolla.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Read about a new car you like? Post it here, in the news-thread! gently caress you your favorite car is poo poo :unsmigghh:

Hey it's kind of relevant because this derail started off with my rant about how BMW's lost touch with what made them a good car manufacturer. The m6 is basically the only good car they have left. Their new turbos are pretty sweet though. I've never liked the feeling of driving a FI car but they spool so low you wouldn't even know its there if you were deaf or something.

HotCanadianChick posted:

This is a really ignorant statement, as depending on options an E46 weighs within 40-50 lbs of an E36, while the E36 is at minimum several hundred pounds heavier than an E30. The E46 is also still quite a compact car by modern standards - mine is smaller than the 2001 Civic it replaced, and I park it in a single car garage and still have enough room to fit three shelving units, two full size garbage/recycling bins, a tool cart, and two large motorcycles. I've once walked out to my E46 in a parking lot and panicked because I thought it was gone, only to get closer and realize it was just hiding behind the neighbor's old Corolla.

Sorry you misinterpreted me. The e46 is a good car, it just marks the beginning of when the 3 series became the 5 series, the 5 series became the 7 series, and the 7 series became an 11 series or something something. I said first of the worst because it's kind of in a middle ground where BMW hadn't totally lost touch when they started making them, but by the time e90's were rolling off the line BMW was making RWD Accords. I would daily an e46, I just wouldn't buy one until they become cheaper than e30's (they go for around the same where I live thanks to e30's appreciating and e46's being at maximum depreciation)

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 15, 2015

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

HEY VAPER posted:

Spoken like someone who's never been behind the wheel of an e90/F30

Because you can see the exterior from behind the wheel? :j:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I feel like most car companies have turned to poo poo since about 2005.

Toyota is basically GM circa 1980. No innovation in their cars, their reputation for reliability is just that, reputation. Everyone is tacking on all these weight increasing features and electronics with high rates of failure.

Remember when German cars used to be rock solid? You could buy MK.II Golfs and they'd be bullet proof for years. Old Mercedes Benz cars were over engineered to the point where they'd last forever and are still in use in 3rd world countries.

Now you get nothing. Everything has been cost cut to razor thin tolerances and falls apart within 5 years.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

travisray2004 posted:

Because you can see the exterior from behind the wheel? :j:

Because they're fuckoff huge compared to earlier 3 series

Kraftwerk posted:

Toyota is basically GM circa 1980. No innovation in their cars, their reputation for reliability is just that, reputation. Everyone is tacking on all these weight increasing features and electronics with high rates of failure.

Remember when German cars used to be rock solid? You could buy MK.II Golfs and they'd be bullet proof for years. Old Mercedes Benz cars were over engineered to the point where they'd last forever and are still in use in 3rd world countries.

Now you get nothing. Everything has been cost cut to razor thin tolerances and falls apart within 5 years.

My opinion is that it all went to poo poo around 2000, but a few manufacturers have stepped it up and started making interesting/good cars again in the past few years. I would buy a new Ford and I thought I would never say those words after owning a bunch of 90's and early 2000's Fords.

Its kind of telling though when you see 5 year old cars on the road with rust, when you live in one of the most rust-free states in the US though. Yes I know this is just as much to blame on owners treating cars like they're disposable, but I feel like the quality just isn't there on a lot of newer cars.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 15, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

I know everything has always been about making a profit, but the extremes people go to in order to do so are dumb. Houses, cars, pretty much everything else all made as shittily and quickly as possible to make someone the most money possible.

HEY VAPER posted:

when the 3 series became the 5 series, the 5 series became the 7 series, and the 7 series became an 11 series or something something.

I still want to know what the naming schemes will be when they continue to make each model larger every generation and have to keep making new models to go where the old one used to be. Fractions? Decimals? Back to names for each model?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think the new Escalade is swank as hell except the rear tail lights which remind me of the CRV. But front to side the thing is kinda angular and boxy in a neat way. Even the sedans are good looking in and out.

The problem with Infinity is that yeah for the price I don't know if you get that much value out of it but I really like what is their QX56 which is now their QX80. It might be a beached whale but it's distinct and has this sort of nose turned up look that seems to say "You're inferior." snobbish looking car.

The QX80 and Escalade are pretty cars for that class.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Cadillac engineers impress me in their constant ability to one up themselves in 'ugly as gently caress vehicles that Americans will go into debt for' department

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

go3 posted:

Cadillac engineers impress me in their constant ability to one up themselves in 'ugly as gently caress vehicles that Americans will go into debt for' department

I got a CTS-V as a loaner car from a dealership once while my car was being serviced. Pretty loving sweet car even if it was an automatic and a beat to poo poo dealership loaner. Why they were using a CTS-V as a loaner is beyond me.

e: escalades are flying off the shelves http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/11/cadillac-escalade-demand-sedans-report/

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 15, 2015

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

go3 posted:

I don't think they're ugly. More interesting than a lot of vehicles which are now feeling samey and it feels like designs are riffing off of each other with lower brands taking design cues from luxury ones.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

HEY VAPER posted:

...BMW's lost touch with what made them a good car manufacturer.

It doesn't seem like anyone here is denying this is true to at least some extent and everyone is just bickering about 'when' which is pretty boring IMO.

Kraftwerk posted:

I guess it depends on your perspective and requirements, but I have to say that as an enthusiast I'm pretty jazzed about what Ford is trying to do.

HEY VAPER posted:

My opinion is that it all went to poo poo around 2000, but a few manufacturers have stepped it up and started making interesting/good cars again in the past few years. I would buy a new Ford and I thought I would never say those words after owning a bunch of 90's and early 2000's Fords.

Yeah the wrx, sti, evo, NC miata, boxster (yeah, I went there), c5 z06, etc, etc were all garbage :v:

You are very prone to making broad statements from what seems to be a very narrow view.

Do you guys saying this stuff even remember when a car hitting 100k with an auto meant you'd need a new one soon?
Or that when a Toyota truck was considered super reliable because the worst thing that could happen (which was going to happen) was an expensive timing chain? But hey, it didn't grenade like it's competitors.

In closing, get off my lawn! :corsair:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kraftwerk posted:

Remember when German cars used to be rock solid?

No

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

fknlo posted:

I know everything has always been about making a profit, but the extremes people go to in order to do so are dumb. Houses, cars, pretty much everything else all made as shittily and quickly as possible to make someone the most money possible.

It just seems like it's gotten so much worse compared to the old days. Objectively a Honda Civic from 95 is way better built than the ones today.

And as you said houses/condos etc are also poorly built. The thing is even old rules about paying more to get higher quality don't apply anymore. Even high end luxury homes are falling apart and poorly built.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

quote:

The pre-facelift e46 was the first of the worst

Just look how wrong you are, just loving look

You clearly must be starving from being so blind you can't lift a fork to your mouth to loving feed yourself.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Mat_Drinks posted:

You are very prone to making broad statements from what seems to be a very narrow view.

Do you guys saying this stuff even remember when a car hitting 100k with an auto meant you'd need a new one soon?
Or that when a Toyota truck was considered super reliable because the worst thing that could happen (which was going to happen) was an expensive timing chain? But hey, it didn't grenade like it's competitors.

welcome to car enthusiast discussion, here is a list of reasons why cars peaked in the mid 1970s and a save the manuals bumper sticker

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Taco Box posted:

You clearly must be starving from being so blind you can't lift a fork to your mouth to loving feed yourself.

That's a real pretty Civic

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

All of the M cars are great looking. The rest are boring, and it's fine because non M BMWs have always been boring transportation devices.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
This is just a random thought, but one of my favorite things people do is sit in a car with cheap plastics that have a thin rubberized coating over them, and fawn over the quality of the interior.

Then three years later that rubber poo poo starts peeling and the switches all break, but they turned it in a year prior for a new overpriced lease.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

This is just a random thought, but one of my favorite things people do is sit in a car with cheap plastics that have a thin rubberized coating over them, and fawn over the quality of the interior.

Then three years later that rubber poo poo starts peeling and the switches all break, but they turned it in a year prior for a new overpriced lease.

Mmmmm...soft touch.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

My favorite is people who get in a car, knock on the airbag cover and say "rubbish american plastics" because it's not dead silent.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Mat_Drinks posted:

Yeah the wrx, sti, evo, NC miata, boxster (yeah, I went there), c5 z06, etc, etc were all garbage :v:

Ok so there were 5 good cars, all of which were heavily marketed towards enthusiasts and mostly not particularly high volume cars, in the 2000's? And your point is?

quote:

In closing, get off my lawn! :corsair:

So surely you remember when cars would last hundreds of thousands of miles/decades and could be serviced by the owner?

enough said.

Taco Box posted:

Fat.

Just kidding. As far as e46 goes, I'm mostly commenting on how it marked the beginning of a downward spiral in 3 series design, leading to the new 2015 BMW Accord. I actually like how e46's look, I just don't like where BMW went with it afterwards, thus the whole "first of the worst" thing. I actually like how e46's look even though its a bit more of a e28/e34 than an e30... Also you kind of picked the worst paint color to show off if you want to make the e46 look better than the e30, that silver paint makes it look like a early 2000's civic while the e30 had some of the best looking metallic paint options on a production car, and a lot more of them. Yes the e30s I posted look kind of like the same paint color, but it's actually nothing close, there's a lot of blue in the paint that for whatever reason never gets captured properly in photography.

See, we can be friends!

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 15, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Every vehicle has gotten bigger/taller since 1991, the E46 at 176 inches long is the same size as a new Prius.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Keyser S0ze posted:

Every vehicle has gotten bigger/taller since 1991, the E46 at 176 inches long is the same size as a new Prius.

the f30 is literally closer in length to the e39 than the e46 though, the 3 series in particular has gotten really bloated.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
C+D has a rumor that the next CRZ will be less of a milquetoast hybrid and much more performance oriented

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-honda-cr-z-rendered-may-ditch-hybrid-for-new-turbo-news

Given that Honda's idea of living on the edge is not rinsing the dishes before loading the dishwasher, I'll believe it when I see it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I was driving behind one yesterday; the rearward visibility looked worse than a plumber's van.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

blk posted:

C+D has a rumor that the next CRZ will be less of a milquetoast hybrid and much more performance oriented

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-honda-cr-z-rendered-may-ditch-hybrid-for-new-turbo-news

Given that Honda's idea of living on the edge is not rinsing the dishes before loading the dishwasher, I'll believe it when I see it.

Same here. What a disappointment that stupid, pooklip car that cr-z was. Hailed as the new crx and then it was a lovely 2 door insight.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

El Scotch posted:

I was driving behind one yesterday; the rearward visibility looked worse than a plumber's van.

Good thing backup cameras are going to be required by law on all new cars in 3 years. I wish I was kidding but that's pretty much a signed, sealed, and delivered example of why new car designs are mostly poo poo. Wow this car I can't see out of is so safe thanks to these beltlines that go up past my neck and massive pillars that make every lane change a game of Russian roulette!!!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

HEY VAPER posted:

the f30 is literally closer in length to the e39 than the e46 though, the 3 series in particular has gotten really bloated.

E39 still had 6 inches more trunk (so you could properly fit golf clubs) :colbert:

1999 E46 176
2006 E90 180.6
2013 F30 182

1999 E39 188
2006 E60 190.6
2013 F10 193

That being said golf drivers are too drat long now and you have to pull them out of your bag to fit in any trunk. Even with my cavernous F10 trunk I still have to yank it out.

Interesting that the Toyota Camry has stayed around 189 inches since 1999, they did most of their growing before that.

The Accord has only grown a bit
1993 Accord 185
1999 Accord 188.8
2013 Accord 191.4

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

HEY VAPER posted:

And your point is?

I thought I was already clear about that? :v:

Mat_Drinks posted:

Your clarification on the e46 made you seem much less arbitrary though :). Not that I think you need to provide a wall of text to explain every opinion.