Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just took my done to see Shaun The Sheep: The Movie again. It's really excellent. I enjoyed it as much second time round, if not more. Very well done in every respect. An outstanding family film. Would be great when stoned too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

It's the only time I wish I had children.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Drive Angry is pretty great, but I still think Shoot Em Up did the whole sex gunfight better. Man, that was a good movie.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

You just sold me on Drive Angry. Shoot Em Up is right up there (with killing baby seals).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I couldn't make it past the first 10 minutes of Drive Angry. And I liked Shoot Em Up.

Quad posted:

theyshootpictures.com just put up their yearly top 1,000 list, and the generation shift is making me feel old.
It's a list of the most cited, not, like, a subjective measure of quality, so, like, I KNOW that Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes still deserve to be on the list, but aren't, because people just don't talk about them anymore. Meanwhile Audition and Avatar are on it for the first year ever, so I guess I have to finally watch Avatar at some point. :( I'm thinking about starting a grassroots effort to get people to recognize Joe's Apartment for the masterpiece it is, though. gently caress that movie is so good and I don't care, no, you're wrong, it totally is.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is an important and great film. It would make my top 50 films. Why it's important is because it was one of the last gasps of practical effects before the onset of digital effects. But more so, it's a successful film in storytelling. On one level, it's a successful neo-noir, but it's also a great comedy. It would have been really easy for the film to turn out as crap, but the honesty of the performances (Bob Hoskins completely sells it) and realism of the visuals make it work flawlessly. I think it's unfortunate that it's not as known today since it was a rare huge box office and critical success.

Avatar probably does belong on a top 1000 list. It's a very good film that's our generation's The Jazz Singer. Not a great film, but an important one that will remain in film history books for quite a while.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My favorite thing about Drive Angry is that the hot, young female lead is in no way a romantic interest for Nic Cage. She's a partner in crime and justice and maybe a stand-in for his daughter. It plays basically like Amber Heard and Nic are bros out to kill a cult leader and evade the loving devil.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Even as someone who likes Avatar, I wouldn't say actually watching it is mandatory. The story is not the most important thing about it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I have written an inordinate amount of stuff about Avatar without having actually seen it to completion.

Anybody here watching House of Cards? What do you think about Season 3? Does it seem a little...different from the others, somehow?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Hbomberguy posted:

I have written an inordinate amount of stuff about Avatar without having actually seen it to completion.

Anybody here watching House of Cards? What do you think about Season 3? Does it seem a little...different from the others, somehow?

Yeah Season 3 is a little weak. He's president so he can't really sneak off anymore.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

I just finished it and it's not quite as good. The last episode missed two great opportunities... how could they not have Stamper killed by Rachel, rather than the other way around? If they were going for such a nihilistic ending, it would have made more sense from his arc and would have been just as a shock. Given how far she went to get off the map, how would she not have a gun or not do something stupid like coming near a creepy van? Then the last shot should have been Claire addressing the camera directly, completing her arc. Lazy writing.

I'm thinking of watching the original UK series since I missed the political stuff that was more prominent in the last two seasons. It just seemed like the third season was on auto-pilot for the most part. I will say the best episodes were the ones with faux Putin.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 15, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cinderella trip report: Not only does it have Robb Stark but it has the black Qarth councilman from season 2! Also who the gently caress names their cat Lucifer, you're asking for trouble if you do that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bows1 posted:

Yeah Season 3 is a little weak. He's president so he can't really sneak off anymore.

Thanks for the spoilers as I start on season 2 dingleberry.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm thinking of watching the original UK series since I missed the political stuff that was more prominent in the last two seasons. It just seemed like the third season was on auto-pilot for the most part. I will say the best episodes were the ones with faux Putin.

The UK show is definitely worth watching. Urqhart (noo idea how to spell that) is more interesting than Underwood in some ways.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I saw The Salvation (Mads Mikkelsen western) last night and I can't figure out if I really didn't like it or if my opinion was clouded by how much I hated the dude behind me chuckling every five minutes for no loving reason. Yeah man, reaction shots? Hilarious.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Yeah it's very 'now I'm at the top and everything doesn't look so great' when I really liked watching a madman actually win and make cool power plays.

I mean it's doing it on purpose because the house of cards is falling down and that's the name of the show but I wanted more madman wins. I wanted the house to get bigger.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i just read the american sniper thread.

edit: american sniper: chris kyle harder

spaceships fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 15, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey I just caught up to Avengers/New Avengers as of six months ago and let me tell you how good it is:

Real loving good. poo poo is real. Real poo poo.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hbomberguy posted:

It's bad.

spaceships posted:

It's real bad.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

spaceships posted:

American Sniper: The XXX Parody starring Jizz Kyle.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FreudianSlippers posted:

American Sniper: The XXX Parody starring Jizz Kyle.
This Ain't American Sniper XXX

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Literally The Worst posted:

Hey I just caught up to Avengers/New Avengers as of six months ago and let me tell you how good it is:

It is the serious goddamn poo poo like few others. Probably the best run the book has had. Though I wish could get Yu or Chen or Ribic on regular art chores. I have had an amazing time with the book.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gatts posted:

It is the serious goddamn poo poo like few others. Probably the best run the book has had. Though I wish could get Yu or Chen or Ribic on regular art chores. I have had an amazing time with the book.

Yeah, I'm the middle of Time Runs Out right now and it's just whoaaaaa. Hickman's got a real knack for time shenanigans, and not just time travel bullshit. I mean like the concept of history and how it determines what comes next and fate and just whoaaaa

"Where's Namor"

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Egbert Souse posted:

*posts the most hackneyed, obvious alternative plot points.

*complains about lazy writing

Calling writing that isn't to your particular taste lazy is moronic even when your ideas are better. These ideas, are not.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Baron von Eevl posted:

My favorite thing about Drive Angry is that the hot, young female lead is in no way a romantic interest for Nic Cage. She's a partner in crime and justice and maybe a stand-in for his daughter. It plays basically like Amber Heard and Nic are bros out to kill a cult leader and evade the loving devil.

fichtner was the best part about that flick.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

spaceships posted:

fichtner was the best part about that flick.

True in most cases.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was hoping that Furious 7 would somehow inexplicably feature the series' best character, Han, despite the chain of events in the last film, but alas, no Han. No Han, no peace, I say. Also, having burned through the series in preparation for Furious 7, it's going to be weird to see the main character of Tokyo Drift return. Strange, strange, strange.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

True in most cases.

He even made some truly God-awful dialogue in The Dark Knight almost work.

So yeah, Fichtner is great.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
he's slowly making a career out of being the best part of the films he's in. i don't mind. i just love watching fichtner work.

edit: tv series fichtner is not as good as film fichtner, although he ended up being the only part of prison break that was decent.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

C-Euro posted:

Cinderella trip report: Not only does it have Robb Stark but it has the black Qarth councilman from season 2! Also who the gently caress names their cat Lucifer, you're asking for trouble if you do that.

The entire ball sequence was easily worth the price of admission alone, and I love how the contrast of Cinderella's dress and the ostensible fashion of the period worked out.

In the background of the scene with all of the princess introductions my wife and I both noticed the Qin dynasty headdress. There and gone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
So Cinderella on Fleek is pretty good, you'd say?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Ayup.

I was visiting my sister in the US about a month ago and saw the Cinderella commercials on TV. I could've sworn the prince was Sebastian Stan and not Robb Stark.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So Run All Night wasn't a very memorable movie but it did have some cool parts. Several absolutely insane crane shots, Ed Harris acting particularly vicious, a shootout/parkour stunts in a housing project block, Common as a hitman who gets his face burned by Liam Neeson but keeps on truckin', lots of dirty cops getting murdrered, etc. If any of that sounds like it appeals to you, then go see it. But just go in with low expectations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really don't do this a lot but I'm going to describe Cinderella's entrance and her contrast to the women of the court as "heartachingly beautiful" in execution and effect.

And the dance sequence where the prince and her spinning and twirling gradually took up half the hall was gorgeous.

Mostly I'm going to say that I'm having a rough time telling how much of the movie's effect is due to the fact that it's GODDAMN Cinderella and how much is due to its execution, but I feel the central ball sequence should prove its worth. It's been a while since I watched the animated movie so maybe I should do that before I go back to the theaters next.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 16, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So Run All Night wasn't a very memorable movie but it did have some cool parts. Several absolutely insane crane shots, Ed Harris acting particularly vicious, a shootout/parkour stunts in a housing project block, Common as a hitman who gets his face burned by Liam Neeson but keeps on truckin', lots of dirty cops getting murdrered, etc. If any of that sounds like it appeals to you, then go see it. But just go in with low expectations.

That sounds fun as hell. Should I go see it or go see Chappie again?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That sounds fun as hell. Should I go see it or go see Chappie again?
I'd go see Chappie again if I were you. Run All Night has some rad elements to it but Chappie is way more fun overall.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, for all the controversy over Hotline Miami 2 having rape in it, I really wasn't expecting it to be an incredibly un-detailed scene that you can literally miss by blinking that is immediately revealed as fake within the narrative. Seems very overblown.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Funny or Die is having a party to celebrate Get Hard, that lovely looking Will Ferrell/Kevin Hart movie. They're handing out door prizes too; free bars of prison soap for everyone!

uggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yoshifan823 posted:

Funny or Die is having a party to celebrate Get Hard, that lovely looking Will Ferrell/Kevin Hart movie. They're handing out door prizes too; free bars of prison soap for everyone!

uggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

Are they giving you the option to vote "Die"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm not a movies guy other than drive-by posting in this thread, but I thought it was alright. Then again if you've seen Cinderella the animated movie then you've pretty much seen this, other than Cate Blanchett being an awesomely bitchy stepmother. Also Helena Bonham Carter wearing something besides black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yoshifan823 posted:

uggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are they giving you the option to vote "Die"
I wish the 5th Die Hard movie had been titled A Good Day To Get Hard.

• Locked thread