Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The organizing principle is synthetic/medical/for-profit stuff is bad, "natural" stuff is good. So they see MRSA and it fits antibiotics=bad and that's really all the thought or intention there is to find there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

Wait, so they believe that bacteria can develop immunities to harmful substances through exposure, but not that the same principles should be applied to people? :psyduck:

They believe antibiotic resistance happens because antibiotics made by BIG PHARMA are inferior and do not provide enough true bacteria-killing power. Bacteria would never become resistant to a true natural remedy, they claim, and antibiotics resistance just goes to show that artificial medicines are nothing more than stopgaps which lose effectiveness over time and, as a side effect, make bacteria even stronger and more dangerous. If we had relied on their powerful natural remedies instead of using ~chemicals~, they say, we wouldn't be having such problems.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

pangstrom posted:

The organizing principle is synthetic/medical/for-profit stuff is bad, "natural" stuff is good. So they see MRSA and it fits antibiotics=bad and that's really all the thought or intention there is to find there.

Except they didn't even get the natural/man-made thing right for antibiotics in general: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penicillium

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Trabisnikof posted:

Right, but the fact that MRSA is bad doesn't really mean I should go get more vaccines today.

True, but I'm not sure that that has anything to do with what I was saying.

I was pointing out the absurdity of being afraid of antibiotic resistant bacteria and vaccines at the same time, since it's likely that the latter help reduce the prevalence of the former.

Of course, if someone is a natural health nut, why do they care about antibiotic resistance at all? If they won't take that medication, antibiotic resistance means precisely nothing to them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

I was pointing out the absurdity of being afraid of antibiotic resistant bacteria and vaccines at the same time, since it's likely that the latter help reduce the prevalence of the former.

And I'm pointing out that for the current scary antibiotic resistant bacteria, vaccines do not help reduce their prevalence.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

bitcoin bastard posted:

Except they didn't even get the natural/man-made thing right for antibiotics in general: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penicillium

There are actually quite a few drugs that come from natural sources and are just modified into various forms to make taking them easier or making them delayed/timed release increasing their effectiveness. Its even more fun when you have to try and explain what a live attenuated virus vaccine is and they think its some kind of bio engineered Illuminati mind control device and not just a naturally occurring virus that has been weakened.

Working at a pharmacy I have heard some of the weirdest reasoning for not taking things let me tell you. :(

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

Wait, so they believe that bacteria can develop immunities to harmful substances through exposure, but not that the same principles should be applied to people? :psyduck:

The way bacteria gets immunity is kind of horrifying if you apply it to people. We're talking "this kills 99.5% of the bacteria and the rest are resistant." If you keep doing that you'll eventually get bacteria that are immune to whatever you're using. It doesn't really work too well for people partly because it's hard to justify killing that many people and partly because we reproduce a gently caress of a lot more slowly than bacteria does.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The way bacteria gets immunity is kind of horrifying if you apply it to people. We're talking "this kills 99.5% of the bacteria and the rest are resistant." If you keep doing that you'll eventually get bacteria that are immune to whatever you're using. It doesn't really work too well for people partly because it's hard to justify killing that many people and partly because we reproduce a gently caress of a lot more slowly than bacteria does.

The mechanics are pretty much opposite, to be sure. But I can't shake the feeling that the context for the objection is more along the lines of "Since bacteria can become resistant to antibiotics, then it stands to reason that using vaccines will lead to vaccine-resistant mega-diseases!!!:derp:"

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

poopinmymouth posted:

How about how many times innocent people are already imprisoned/punished/executed? It's not like this whole "innocent til proven guilty" is actually working. The system is racist, sexist, and classist.

The idea that giving someone more power to protect other kids by either forcibly vaccinating or removing the child long enough to have it done will some how pervert our current great system is really quite dubious.

Maybe you are too entrenched in the current system to see that there could be any alternatives?

Like can we sacrifice your kids to measles or polio by way of some unvaccinated nut-job's kids and see if you still think we should just throw our hands up and go "well what can you do?"

You didn't answer my question.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

And I'm pointing out that for the current scary antibiotic resistant bacteria, vaccines do not help reduce their prevalence.

He clearly understands that. His point is that if no vaccines existed at all then there would probably be even more strains of antiobiotic resistant bacteria than there are now. As an example, if there was no bacterial meningitis vaccine, then antibiotics would be the only treatment, and surely this would result in number of cases where bacterial meningitis became resistant to specific forms of antiobiotics. Therefore, the fact that we can vaccinate against bacterial meningitis means that the vaccine reduces the prevalence of antibiotic resistance for those strains.

Obviously this observation only applies to bacteria for which there is a working vaccine, but it's still important to note

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 26, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

You didn't answer my question.

Drag your "morality in the justice system" derail into some other thread, please

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
This article illuminates pretty well some of the things that get people into anti-vaxxing, as well as the reasonings behind their opinions and the way they tend to get taken in by fake or trumped-up "studies" and "information posted on the internet" by homeopaths and alternative medicine practitioners. They think that their position is justified by the current science (or at least, what they think the current science is), and many of them are inspired by experiencing or reading about actual drugs that turned out to be harmful even after passing FDA approval. These aren't always raving libertarian lunatics - often they're people with a little bit too much free time and paranoia who got misled by what they read on the internet.

http://www.wptv.com/news/health/anti-vaccine-mothers-discuss-their-thinking-amid-backlash

quote:

LAKE OSWEGO, Ore. (AP) -- One is a businesswoman and an MBA graduate. Another is a corporate vice president. The third is a registered nurse.

These three mothers - all of them educated, middle-class professionals - are among the vaccine skeptics who have been widely ridiculed since more than 100 people fell ill in a measles outbreak traced to Disneyland. Critics question their intelligence, their parenting, even their sanity. Some have been called criminals for foregoing shots for their children that are overwhelmingly shown to be safe and effective.

"Contrary to the common sentiment, we are not anti-science," said Michelle Moore, a businesswoman who lives in the affluent Portland suburb of Lake Oswego with her 2 1/2-year-old twin girls. "I'm not opposed to medicine, and I think vaccines have a place. We think it's a medical choice, and it should be researched carefully."

The backlash, much of it from people who fear unvaccinated children could infect their own kids, has been so severe that dozens of anti-vaccine parents contacted by The Associated Press were afraid to speak out. But a handful of mothers agreed to discuss their thinking.

Moore, an MBA graduate who runs an agriculture-related business, traces her feelings back to the time she took Lariam, a supposedly safe anti-malaria medication. Instead, she said, the drug saddled her with multiple health complications. She questions whether the government knew about the risks at the time. Health officials now acknowledge Lariam can cause severe side effects, some of which can be permanent.

That experience broke Moore's trust in the medical establishment and launched her on years of research into how vaccines can affect people's health.
When she got pregnant, Moore and her husband delayed immunization for Sierra and Savannah.

"It was not an easy decision," she said. "The thought of something happening to them because we chose not to vaccinate is terrifying. But I have so many questions, and I do think it's the right decision for our family."

Nancy Babcock of Spokane, Washington, says people who share her opinions "are being vilified and ostracized." Babcock, a vice president at a bank, told her daughter about her doubts. Then her daughter and her husband looked into the issue, and they decided not to immunize their two children.

"In a community with many young people, those who don't vaccinate are feeling a lot of pressure," she said.

Nationwide, parents who seek an exemption from vaccine requirements are still in a tiny minority. The median total exemption rate for kindergartners during the 2013-14 school year was just 1.8 percent, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But some individual schools or communities have higher exemption rates, at times approaching 60 percent or more.

The CDC says years of testing are required before a vaccine is approved, and the shots are continually monitored for safety and effectiveness.

Anti-vaccination parents include a mix of views - from religious communities to families practicing alternative medicine and libertarians who shun government interference.

But many are Americans with college degrees living in liberal communities such as Santa Monica or Marin County in California and Portland, said Gary Freed, a professor of pediatrics at the University of Michigan.

Most hesitant parents do not avoid all vaccinations. They typically under-vaccinate, either delaying the shots until their child is older or refusing certain vaccines while continuing with others, Freed said.

The parents who spoke to AP recounted spending hundreds of hours reviewing medical studies, books and news stories and networking on social media. They cited cases of children who were supposedly hurt by vaccines and the existence of a government-run vaccine injury-compensation program. And they worried about the oversight of pharmaceutical companies that reap profits from vaccines and are shielded from liability when a vaccine causes harm.

Moore said she read a 1998 study published in The Lancet journal by Dr. Andrew Wakefield, who raised the possibility of a link between the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine, bowel disease and autism. She said she knows the study was later discredited and retracted. She believes the research was inconclusive.

Moore concedes that the vast majority of studies show vaccines are safe, but she says some research points to inconsistencies, unknowns or negative effects that deserve further investigation.

And while autism is still a concern, Moore and others also worry about how exposure to chemicals, bad nutrition and stress can affect genes and health. They say large doses of synthetic additives found in vaccines, including aluminum and mercury, can harm the immune and digestive systems and brain.

They're believers in living naturally and eating organic food who also question the safety of genetically modified organisms, pesticides and other common substances such as flame retardants and plastics.

"There are so many environmental toxins, but anything in my children's world that I can influence I do," Moore said.

The CDC has phased out a mercury-containing preservative in vaccines as a precautionary measure, and the agency says vaccines containing aluminum pose extremely low risk to infants. Federal officials also say GMOs in foods are safe, as are pesticides if used according to labels.

These parents say they should be able to decide whether their child undergoes a medical procedure - a decision, they say, that goes to the core of what it means to have freedom of choice.

"I have the right to decide what to put into my child's body," said Heather Dillard, a mom in Springfield, Missouri, who is also a registered nurse. "Nobody has the right to put toxic chemicals into my son's bloodstream. That's taking my rights away, and it's very scary to me."

Dillard said she decided against vaccinating because her first child was born a preemie and has autism. Dillard does not believe vaccines caused the autism, but the disease led her to do a lot of research about health. She says she now chooses to build her son's immunity naturally, through diet, while avoiding shots or other medication.

Dillard and others say they are not worried about measles because their children have strong immune systems. They cite statistics: Out of the 1,000-plus measles cases in the past decade, there was not a single death.

"What I'm more nervous about is the hysteria that would result," if her children were to get ill, Moore said.

Moore said she does worry about affecting children who are immune-compromised and cannot be vaccinated. Before visiting friends with babies or young children, she said, she always informs them her twins are not vaccinated "so they have the power to make a choice." She also keeps the girls home at any sign of sickness.

Researchers say berating parents who oppose vaccines will not persuade anyone and only puts people on the defensive. Educational messages from health officials may also make little difference and could, in fact, be counterproductive, said Brendan Nyhan, assistant professor of government at Dartmouth College.

A study conducted by Nyhan and his colleagues last year showed that when parents were presented with evidence that vaccines do not cause autism or that measles cause great harm, some ended up feeling even more ambivalent.

"We tend to be skeptical toward information that contradicts our existing views," Nyhan said.

If Oregon were to take away the right to a vaccine exemption, Moore said, she would likely home-school her twins. She's keeping an open mind about vaccinating as her children get older, but hopes more studies on the long-term effects of vaccines can help dispel her doubts.

"I worry about living in a society that's progressively more intolerant toward any dissent," Moore said. "All scientific advances have come from questioning the status quo."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This is a fantastic find, Main Paineframe- I'm going to use it in discussion with some health communication folks I know.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Main Paineframe posted:

This article illuminates pretty well some of the things that get people into anti-vaxxing, as well as the reasonings behind their opinions and the way they tend to get taken in by fake or trumped-up "studies" and "information posted on the internet" by homeopaths and alternative medicine practitioners. They think that their position is justified by the current science (or at least, what they think the current science is), and many of them are inspired by experiencing or reading about actual drugs that turned out to be harmful even after passing FDA approval. These aren't always raving libertarian lunatics - often they're people with a little bit too much free time and paranoia who got misled by what they read on the internet.

http://www.wptv.com/news/health/anti-vaccine-mothers-discuss-their-thinking-amid-backlash

I've found that 9/10 times I find an ardent antivaxxer, yes indeed they have had a bad experience with healthcare.

I find that I can once again lay at least part of the blame for the this on the healthcare industry

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I have a couple FB friends who post anti-vax stuff, one of whom is an old college friend. He seems to have descended into super-heavy conspiracy theory territory. He posts all kinds of stuff, like for awhile it was all about how microwave ovens are killing us. Specifically, he mentioned a "study" (actually a child's science project) where water was microwaved, then left to cool, and then used to water plants, which then died. You get the idea.

Anyway, in between a bunch of posts about the Fed, he posted something a year or so ago that I unfortunately can't seem to find. It was some news that somehow showed that the Wakefield study was "no longer discredited". I know it's bullshit, whatever it is, but has anyone here heard this claim? Is this something that made big waves in the anti-vax community?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
As a reminder, Gardasil 9 is now out.

Making your daughters three times as slutty as regular Gardasil.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Nat Geo needs to do another issue like that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm an adult man. Is it worth it for me to get an HPV shot? Would anyone give me one?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm an adult man. Is it worth it for me to get an HPV shot? Would anyone give me one?

Yes and yes, but you're paying out of pocket for it. It's only covered if you're a teen male or a woman up to 26. Most likely because the research doesn't yet exist saying it's safe and effective beyond that and nobody is willing to take the liability, but it's in all likelihood fine.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

When she got pregnant, Moore and her husband delayed immunization for Sierra and Savannah

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that her mistrust of Big Pharma preceded her problems with Lariam.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
as much as I absolutely loathe antivaxxers, if there's a drug that can make you mistrust medicine, Lariam is certainly one to do it. I had to take it and it gave me horrifically vivid nightmares about being brutally murdered with boatloads of blood and gore. when my sister had to take it she also got awful nightmares and spent a couple days so confused you'd think she suddenly developed alzheimer's or dementia. there's a TAL episode about a Fulbright scholar in India who lost 2 entire years of memory from it and plenty of other examples of it causing horrible reactions

that being said, we also knew it caused tons of awful side effects even when it was first being used so it's still no loving reason to throw out science any more than someone who manages to not get sick despite not following any sanitary kitchen procedures concluding that germ theory is bullshit would be

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Jimmy Kimmel shills for BIG PHARMA :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgpfNScEd3M

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Kimmel also did two videos on GMOs and Gluten. Spoilers, people are stupid and don't deserve to have free will.

Also I mentioned how Nat Geo should do a vaccine version of their evolution issue, the March issue is pretty close. "The War on Science"

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

As much as the anti-vaccine movement is an rear end-backwards suck-pit, it's really reassuring that the overall cultural zeitgeist has been to poo poo all over these people, even in day to day conversations and stuff.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Zeitgueist posted:

I've found that 9/10 times I find an ardent antivaxxer, yes indeed they have had a bad experience with healthcare.

I find that I can once again lay at least part of the blame for the this on the healthcare industry

Yeah, this definitely seems to be the case, and it makes some sense, psychologically speaking. I know my cousins long time girlfriend's view of vaccines is partially influenced by a bad experience that her niece apparently had with a vaccine, wherein she supposedly descended into a catatonic state for two weeks. Of course, they never took her in to get seen, or even followed up with the doctor who administered the vaccine, which as far as I'm concerned was stupid and irresponsible, but RAAAWR VACCINES.

On the other hand, they are basically married and now have a two year old kid but she "doesn't believe in marriage" and also believes astrology is a science, and said cousin is a massive conspiracy theorist who still thinks 911 was an inside job, and four years ago told me that the Fed was going to make the dollar collapse in two years' time, so there's clearly just a bit more going on here than a bad healthcare system experience.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Capn Jobe posted:

I have a couple FB friends who post anti-vax stuff, one of whom is an old college friend. He seems to have descended into super-heavy conspiracy theory territory. He posts all kinds of stuff, like for awhile it was all about how microwave ovens are killing us. Specifically, he mentioned a "study" (actually a child's science project) where water was microwaved, then left to cool, and then used to water plants, which then died. You get the idea.

That particular conspiracy is a strong sign that your former friend has fallen into the orbit of the Mercola group. It may be worth reading up on them in specific if you want to run interference on his ability to pull others into his crazy.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 1, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

QuarkJets posted:

Drag your "morality in the justice system" derail into some other thread, please

But it's already in every thread he posts in.

Almost like there's some kind of correlation.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The hospital system I work for sent emails to all employees requesting proof of childhood MMR vaccinations, or a requirement to get them before the end of the month.

I know I had mine, but it's still a loving hassle.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

SouthLAnd posted:

The hospital system I work for sent emails to all employees requesting proof of childhood MMR vaccinations, or a requirement to get them before the end of the month.

I know I had mine, but it's still a loving hassle.

I dont know what its like where you live, but here in Ontario all I had to do was head to the local health unit office for my vaccination history. Took 20 minutes for them to pull up and print off my whole history, no charge. :shobon:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Furnaceface posted:

I dont know what its like where you live, but here in Ontario all I had to do was head to the local health unit office for my vaccination history. Took 20 minutes for them to pull up and print off my whole history, no charge. :shobon:

It can be a gigantic pain in the rear end. When I applied to college they asked for my vax records. Now, I know I had my vaccinations as a kid and it wasn't mandatory to get into school because I'm not going into nursing. However, nobody has my records. I have no idea who my childhood doctor was and apparently none of the schools I went to had them. The doctor I had at the time tried to track down my records and just went "welp, nobody has them."

Sometimes it sucks.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It can be a gigantic pain in the rear end. When I applied to college they asked for my vax records. Now, I know I had my vaccinations as a kid and it wasn't mandatory to get into school because I'm not going into nursing. However, nobody has my records. I have no idea who my childhood doctor was and apparently none of the schools I went to had them. The doctor I had at the time tried to track down my records and just went "welp, nobody has them."

Sometimes it sucks.

You should just be able to get some antibodies check done, which should be as good as a vaccination record.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Markovnikov posted:

You should just be able to get some antibodies check done, which should be as good as a vaccination record.

I'd have had to pay for that and I'm poor as gently caress. The only vaccination they actually required was meningitis but only if you lived in the dorms. I commuted so that was irrelevant.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

In the US there isn't really any centralized health records system, so you'd probably have to go to the doctor who gave the vaccination to get the record.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Pro-tip for the US health system: If you ever think, "X is the only sane way to do this, of course they do it in way X!", you're wrong. We do it in the most expensive and inconvenient alternative possible.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Furnaceface posted:

I had to call my high school for my vaccination records once.

A decade after graduation.

They still had it, miraculously enough.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

No centralized records in the US, for one. For another, I was born in India. Whether I actually got the BCG vaccine is still up in the air, but I show up negative on tuberculin skin tests, so...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I had to call my high school for my vaccination records once.

A decade after graduation.

They still had it, miraculously enough.

Miraculous? In most states they're required to hold all student records permanently as a matter of course. If you went to a school and they didn't have the offices/archives burn down, they're gonna have your records as long as they exist.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

So they're really not exaggerating when they say it's going on your permanent record...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

In the US there isn't really any centralized health records system, so you'd probably have to go to the doctor who gave the vaccination to get the record.

Mostly true.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/contacts-locate-records.html

How far back these records go depends on the state, so there's a good chance anyone posting here wouldn't be helped by this.

• Locked thread