Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
It's rubber though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

1997 posted:

It's rubber though.

Hewn to tolerances with coating

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smackfu posted:

Yeah, I didn't find it too useful though. It doesn't give any sense of how it feels on your wrist. I certainly wouldn't preorder one blindly.
I'm curious how quickly the order fulfillment time will grow if you don't get your preorder in immediately. I know a lot of people will want to go to an Apple Store and check out sizing, but that weekend will probably be a madhouse and I could see just as many just guessing at what they'll like and trying to exchange it if necessary.

Hm, now I'm really tempted to wait 90 days to see if refurbs show up on the Apple Store at the usual time. I expect return rates to be significantly higher than their other products if only for aesthetic reasons.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

1997 posted:

It's rubber though.

Rubbers are plastics.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Hm, now I'm really tempted to wait 90 days to see if refurbs show up on the Apple Store at the usual time. I expect return rates to be significantly higher than their other products if only for aesthetic reasons.

I'm interested in this too, just to see what the price difference is.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

if only for aesthetic reasons.

This is an interesting point. I wonder what a ballpark churn rate is for other accessories that sit at the boundary between luxury and fashion... (I don't know because it's not my field.)

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I kind of hate to bring up the watch edition talk again, but ben thompson (tech blogger/analyst guy) is bullish on the watch and doesn't think the edition pricing is outlandish.

https://twitter.com/monkbent/status/576174418012995584

quote:

The reasons "Switzerland is f***ed" is because Apple just undercut the $5,000 stainless steel part of the market by 90%.

(scroll up his replies to see the full thread)

His main points are basically:
-it's ok if the apple watch doesn't last forever
-sometimes wealthy people just want jewelry/status symbols
-if you don't understand why a rich person might want it, it's not really your place to say the product shouldn't exist

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

MrBond posted:

I kind of hate to bring up the watch edition talk again, but ben thompson (tech blogger/analyst guy) is bullish on the watch and doesn't think the edition pricing is outlandish.

https://twitter.com/monkbent/status/576174418012995584

(scroll up his replies to see the full thread)

His main points are basically:
-it's ok if the apple watch doesn't last forever
-sometimes wealthy people just want jewelry/status symbols
-if you don't understand why a rich person might want it, it's not really your place to say the product shouldn't exist

He doesn't seem to really understand watches.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

He understands that watches are not about rational time-telling. Seems perfectly well versed for watch commentary in 2015 where everyone already has a perfectly NTP synced supercomputer-of-yesteryear in their pocket.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

What he doesn't understand is that watches also aren't about good fit and finish and a price point. Most people in to watches enough to drop $500 on one aren't going to buy an Apple Watch in lieu of something traditional. The people buying Editions (and there are plenty of them) are going to keep buying Rolex, Patek Phillipe, Omega, JLC and other high-end brands as well - I'd be shocked if their sales dip at all as a result.

The only market I see really being drawn away from traditional watches are those who buy watches as a mere fashion item and don't have the income to buy everything they want.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

IuniusBrutus posted:

What he doesn't understand is that watches also aren't about good fit and finish and a price point. Most people in to watches enough to drop $500 on one aren't going to buy an Apple Watch in lieu of something traditional. The people buying Editions (and there are plenty of them) are going to keep buying Rolex, Patek Phillipe, Omega, JLC and other high-end brands as well - I'd be shocked if their sales dip at all as a result.

The only market I see really being drawn away from traditional watches are those who buy watches as a mere fashion item and don't have the income to buy everything they want.

You have to separate this 'most people' into two groups of 'most people under 40 with lots of money' and 'most people over 40 with lots of money' the two have very, very different expecation and desires for their status symbols.

You and others are still treating near-retirement dentists as the children of phenomenal post-boomer wealth.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

IuniusBrutus posted:

So I guess the watch is going to be massively successful then?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

You have to separate this 'most people' into two groups of 'most people under 40 with lots of money' and 'most people over 40 with lots of money' the two have very, very different expecation and desires for their status symbols.

You and others are still treating near-retirement dentists as the children of phenomenal post-boomer wealth.

That doesn't make any sense. People are dropping money on watches because they either like them or because they are status symbols. The apple watch will do nothing for the former group. The latter group will just start buying both Editions and luxury brands. People who are buying one just because they think they would benefit from a smart watch probably weren't buying expensive watches in the first place.

The Devil Tesla posted:

So I guess the watch is going to be massively successful then?

I think it will be, at least until it ceases to be fashionable. I don't think it will do much to hurt the non-fashion watch industry though.

Edit: I am still not convinced that Apple has the brand strength to beat out traditional watch makers either. It's one thing to be seen as a status symbol opposite Dell or Samsung...

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 14, 2015

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I imagine the $17k watch that is red and gold and absolutely beautiful sells very well in China.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I've posted before about the people in my social circle who are clueless about their iPhones. They don't know they can/should turn the screen off, or about Spotlight search, etc.

I think it's reasonable to assume that lots of people who don't know or care about "tech" will buy an iPhone just because. However, I don't see an overlap in the casual iPhone user buying an Apple Watch. I assume they'll think "why do I need this/I have no use for it", or more importantly, "I won't know how to use it."

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

IuniusBrutus posted:

That doesn't make any sense. People are dropping money on watches because they either like them or because they are status symbols. The apple watch will do nothing for the former group. The latter group will just start buying both Editions and luxury brands. People who are buying one just because they think they would benefit from a smart watch probably weren't buying expensive watches in the first place.
Except one group, the young ones, had nothing to cater direcly to them in the extravagant watch segment that is bifuricating precisely on April 24th. They now have a product specifically for them that meets every criterion and checkbox and as a result will flock to that like piranhas. The largest problem for them is that its 'only' $17,000 at the moment and will have to be upped with precious metal bands compatible with the apple form factor and those will take a while to get through any licensing and production.

Rolex et al are likely losing up to two generations worth of customerbase because they are generations not generally amused or drawn by tracking venus' eclipse cycles through mechanical gears compared to having their text messages arrive inside a more visible gold bauble.

Actually the road to long term mass market survival is likely through ultra high end watchband makery, leaving the watch itself to Apple but running a coachworks operation like Pininfarina did for high end cars.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 14, 2015

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is also a distinct group of people who worship at the alter of "being busy." I could see these people -- who are chronically buried in email and generally glued to their phones, bouncing from one notification to another -- being tempted by the perceived productivity gains of the Apple Watch. In that sense, the fitness tracking feature is insidious in that it provides even more mostly meaningless data to track against mostly meaningless goals, keep these people locked on a never-ending information treadmill.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

Except one group, the young ones, had nothing to cater direcly to them in the extravagant watch segment that is bifuricating precisely on April 24th. They now have a product specifically for them that meets every criterion and checkbox and as a result will flock to that like piranhas. The largest problem for them is that its 'only' $17,000 at the moment and will have to be upped with precious metal bands compatible with the apple form factor and those will take a while to get through any licensing and production.

Rolex et al are likely losing up to two generations worth of customerbase because they are generations not generally amused or drawn by tracking venus' eclipse cycles through mechanical gears compared to having their text messages arrive inside a more visible gold bauble.

Actually the road to long term mass market survival is likely through ultra high end watchband makery, leaving the watch itself to Apple but running a coachworks operation like Pininfarina did for high end cars.

I understand entirely what you're saying - I'm just not sure I agree.

Even the young rich still buy the gently caress out of luxury watches, and I feel it is absolutely incorrect to think they will stop doing so just because they found another gold-plated trinket. Those with higher incomes (but not effectively infinite) aren't going to buy an Apple Watch if they want a status symbol - they can afford their $10k extravagant purchase once in a while, but not nearly often enough to not eventually be stuck with a several year-old Apple Watch on their wrist. The functionality just isn't there yet to make people ditch their traditional watches in favor of any smart watch on that basis alone (otherwise they would have already), and it doesn't matter how much you spent on your poo poo - you are still wearing the same goddamn watch that the plebes can buy, except with gold. There is a reason high-end watch makers don't make cheap watches also; it dilutes the brand (see: Grand Seiko's, which don't get nearly the popular respect of purely high-end watch makers, despite being every bit their equal).

Of course, this is all moot - while Apple will certainly make money on all of their watches, I'd guess that their long-term strategy for it is primarily to draw attention and increase demands for the more affordable models. I do expect to see less Coach, Michael Kors, Fossil, etc. watches around.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 14, 2015

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I think part of his point was that the real action is in the mid-tier and that's where you might see some sales shifting around from the apple watch.

I agree with some of the points being made here too; if you believe there are some people with grossly more money than sense then they're not limited by an either/or when it comes to gold watches.

Edit: it's fun to debate but really it doesn't matter until April. Until then I'm curious what reviews will say and then how normal people end up reacting; I suspect many of us are not the target market anyhow for smart watches.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Hell I think could help the higher end with younger folks just cause it'd get them 1) used to the idea of putting something on their wrists and give more exposure to other similarly priced wrist watch options out there.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

We can all probably at least agree that it will very likely dominate the smart watch market across all price rangers for the next couple years.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So I'm going to start a Kickstarter or whatever to get enough money to buy one of the most expensive Edition ones they have with the most expensive straps going. I don't know which one that is, I don't really care. Everyone who contributes gets a percentage part ownership proportional to the investment. This is not to say you can actually wear it. Either I will wear it exclusively (I don't have an iPhone so it will be purely a watch/conversation starter/ whatever the conclusion for wtf the edition watch is supposed to bring to the table ends up being), or votes will be cast to decide a fate. Blending is still a thing?

Whatever, investors welcome! Think of this announcement as pre-ground floor - I'm determining interest before the Kickstarter, then Kickstarter, then a piece of watch history. I will be totally honest with your money I promise.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Dirk Pitt posted:

I imagine the $17k watch that is red and gold and absolutely beautiful sells very well in China.

I have to say, I'm coming around to the theory that the Apple Watch was designed for China.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Rastor posted:

I have to say, I'm coming around to the theory that the Apple Watch was designed for China.

This earlier article says the same thing, but for different reasons:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/17/apple-watch-china/

(Arguing that tapping people to get their attention and the ability to send awful sketches of a flower is not as pointless as it seems when put in the context of China)

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Rastor posted:

I don't think it is any coincidence that the best looking Apple watch is the most expensive one and is in China's colors.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Rastor posted:

If you want a culture that loves showing off materialism, modern China is a pretty good bet.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've posted before about the people in my social circle who are clueless about their iPhones. They don't know they can/should turn the screen off, or about Spotlight search, etc.

I think it's reasonable to assume that lots of people who don't know or care about "tech" will buy an iPhone just because. However, I don't see an overlap in the casual iPhone user buying an Apple Watch. I assume they'll think "why do I need this/I have no use for it", or more importantly, "I won't know how to use it."

Half the people I know don't even use touch-id or visual voicemail on their iPhones, two of their arguably best and near-exclusive features. They used to diss the larger smartphones too, but now all sport a 6 or worse. It's ONLY about dick-waving for the vast majority of people.

Not sure which part of the watch market will suffer because of smart watches, the "low-end" automatic ones, or the quartz or mostly the high end ? Or will we see a bump in sales of not so cheap mechanical ones because of having a watch being popular again, but in a technologically reactionary way ? The Swiss must be praying for that option I guess.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Spatule posted:

Half the people I know don't even use touch-id or visual voicemail on their iPhones, two of their arguably best and near-exclusive features. They used to diss the larger smartphones too, but now all sport a 6 or worse. It's ONLY about dick-waving for the vast majority of people.

Not sure which part of the watch market will suffer because of smart watches, the "low-end" automatic ones, or the quartz or mostly the high end ? Or will we see a bump in sales of not so cheap mechanical ones because of having a watch being popular again, but in a technologically reactionary way ? The Swiss must be praying for that option I guess.

Go in to a Macy's, or other "typical" department store. The watches that they sell there - the ones by major fashion labels - will be the ones to suffer. That is not only the price range that the Apple Watch is hitting, but also the market: fashionable, non-enthusiast watches. It'll crush the wearable market for the near future too.

People buying automatics (particularly non-luxury brand automatics) are frequently watch nerds to at least some degree who aren't likely to be won over by the additional functionality of a smart watch; some people may buy them, but I don't think it'd be at the expense of another time piece. The luxury watch market is weird and I don't think any type of Apple Watch will take away from the traditional brands.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Speaking only personally, I was in the market for a low end luxury watch in the 1-3k range so I could wear it here (Nigeria) and not worry too much about it getting stolen. Now I'm just getting the apple watch. It falls on the low end of what I was looking to spend, provides more function, and is a nice little conversation piece. (Although I get the feeling that the conversation is going to be "you actually bought one of those things?" " :smith: ")

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

RVProfootballer posted:

haha then we slap this plastic piece of poo poo onto it for you to really complete the package

What would be a better material than rubber for a watchstrap designed to be worn while taking party in physical activity?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

EpicNemesis posted:

Speaking only personally, I was in the market for a low end luxury watch in the 1-3k range so I could wear it here (Nigeria) and not worry too much about it getting stolen. Now I'm just getting the apple watch. It falls on the low end of what I was looking to spend, provides more function, and is a nice little conversation piece. (Although I get the feeling that the conversation is going to be "you actually bought one of those things?" " :smith: ")

You can get a lovely vintage actual 18k gold watch on ebay for that and keep it for a pretty damned long time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Who here is actually planning to buy a watch?

I keep watching the videos and some of the stuff is pretty cool...

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

I keep watching the videos and some of the stuff is pretty cool...

I watch a preview video at the Watch event of some guy doing a first look and showing how it works...the Apple watch seems SUPER fiddly?

As the guy fiddled with the nob and tapped and swiped the screen to get to certain apps, all I could think was: "It'd be faster to pull out my iPhone and check".

As a less rude or subtle way of checking notifications? Sure. I get that. Everything else? Ehhh. I'm not throwing down cash.

That said, it wasn't till the click wheel iPod, I was sold on iPods. The iPhone4 sold me on the iPhone, the iPad mini sold me on iPads. 2-3 generations down the line, I'll have an iWatch4 and be a chump, proclaiming how awesome it is. :smith:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Who here is actually planning to buy a watch?
I'm still on the fence. On the one hand I'd use the fitness stuff, I think it looks cool, and it fits my budget. On the other hand is basically everything that comes along with being an early adopter: first-gen hardware, immature app ecosystem, unknown resale value, etc. I'm also not sure about the usefulness of the Watch vs. using my phone, but that was an unknown with the iPad as well.

I waited until both the iPad and iPhone were mature products and I dont feel like I missed out on much not having those products through their teething years.

At a minimum, I think that I'll at least sit out the launch, look at user impressions over the first few months, and then snag a refurb to offset the early adopter risk a bit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wear my watch on my right hand and I'm right handed. This is odd but practically works fine with normal watches. It seems like it would be really awkward with a smart watch though.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

I wear my watch on my right hand and I'm right handed. This is odd but practically works fine with normal watches. It seems like it would be really awkward with a smart watch though.
Same, except left/left and I never really thought of this until now. It doesn't feel like it'd be much of an issue if I mimic using the watch with my off hand, but who knows.

If anything I guess I could just get used to wearing my watch on the proper hand.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

smackfu posted:

Microsoft's approach was to augment the watch you already have with the Band as an accompaniment rather than a watch replacement. As it turned out they made it too bulky but I prefer this approach, though I wear watches anyway. I had both on one wrist but would have preferred separate wrists with a smaller device (watches need to be away from your mouse hand).

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Mr Funkface posted:

Microsoft's approach was to augment the watch you already have with the Band as an accompaniment rather than a watch replacement. As it turned out they made it too bulky but I prefer this approach, though I wear watches anyway. I had both on one wrist but would have preferred separate wrists with a smaller device (watches need to be away from your mouse hand).

My Band has replaced my watch for day-to-day wear (I don't wear watches for fashion, that's just me). The exception is for running or swimming, when I have dedicated Garmin devices.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah my band completely replaced my watch.

I am 90% sure I'll be getting the apple watch at this point. I'm getting a little fed up with the band and I love the fitness tracking stuff it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'll probably get one for running. Music storage on the watch itself isn't much (2 gig from the rumor I saw) but that's enough for a marathon and then some although you'd have to carefully curate your playlists. Being able to run and buy poo poo without needing my wallet or phone (as Apple Pay works without needing the phone) is a gigantic plus as well.

I'm ambivalent about it because of the price but Apple has never burned me yet.

• Locked thread