Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That AutoEvolution article a few posts north was updated that May confirmed the show being dead? Where did that come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cat Terrist posted:

She is not a good presenter, she is literal nails on a chalkboard loving awful. She can drive and does know about cars but dear LORD, totally unwatchable because I have and would again hurl a brick through a monitor and / or speakers to avoid one second of that dreadful voice.

And her teeth bother me. Are they Chiclets?

Anyway, I'd love to see Rowan Atkinson to take over the Clarkson role.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Where did that come from?
A strong desire to make advertising revenue based on hitcount.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

That AutoEvolution article a few posts north was updated that May confirmed the show being dead? Where did that come from?

I'm hoping it's just a bargaining tool for next month, but I'd prefer it goes out for Jeremy being an rear end to it just slowly fizzling out. They all have to have more than enough to do whatever they wish for the rest of their lives and the other British networks will let them make whatever shows they want.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Loosing Top Gear would hurt Britain's international image.

Britain's international image does not rest on the BBC producing seven hours of footage of Clarkson pissing around a year.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

cloudchamber posted:

Britain's international image does not rest on the BBC producing seven hours of footage of Clarkson pissing around a year.

Other things that England produce that are beloved all over the world by millions:

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

hopterque posted:

Other things that England produce that are beloved all over the world by millions:

Doctor Who, James Bond, Harry Potter, loads of other crap.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

cloudchamber posted:

This really shouldn't surprise me considering your posting in this thread, but still...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cloudchamber posted:

Pretty sure Britain's international image is just tea and crumpets, nothing to worry about.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

hopterque posted:

This really shouldn't surprise me considering your posting in this thread, but still...

But what?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Holy poo poo lmao.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

I don't understand what I've done to not surprise you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cat Terrist posted:

She is not a good presenter, she is literal nails on a chalkboard loving awful. She can drive and does know about cars but dear LORD, totally unwatchable because I have and would again hurl a brick through a monitor and / or speakers to avoid one second of that dreadful voice.

Whenever I have managed to sit though her, my only thought is that she get so over-excited that the production team has to wipe the seats down with a towel after she's finished driving.

quote:

Jason Plato is just as godawful and a complete oval office to boot so lets rule him out as well.

I suppose it is credit to the TG threesome that although their job looks easy, it's hard to imagine even ex-TG presenters from the past being able to fill in their shoes

Tiff Needell could make a good Hamster replacement and Quentin Wilson could fulfil the Captain Slow role (to some degree), but JC? Noel Edmonds?

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Tonight's episode: "Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May immerse themselves in the world of classics as they attempt to understand the appeal of keeping an old car in the garage for balmy summer days. With Clarkson in a Fiat 124 Spider, Hammond in an MGB GT and May in a Peugeot 304 Cabriolet, the trio take a drive in the country, tinker with their engines and end up at a track day as they try to become true classic car owners. Also in the show, Hammond pits the Subaru WRX STi against the Volkswagen Golf R on the track and footballing legend Gary Lineker is the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car."

Well we aren't missing much at least :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Tonight's episode: "Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May immerse themselves in the world of classics as they attempt to understand the appeal of keeping an old car in the garage for balmy summer days. With Clarkson in a Fiat 124 Spider, Hammond in an MGB GT and May in a Peugeot 304 Cabriolet, the trio take a drive in the country, tinker with their engines and end up at a track day as they try to become true classic car owners. Also in the show, Hammond pits the Subaru WRX STi against the Volkswagen Golf R on the track and footballing legend Gary Lineker is the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car."

If this were done in the same tone as the film where they tried to understand Peugeot drivers, it would be loving awesome, actually.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PT6A posted:

If this were done in the same tone as the film where they tried to understand Peugeot drivers, it would be loving awesome, actually.

Yeah, I think that sounds great. They'll have tons of clichés to play with. And "nice" cars that turn out to be horrible is a great recipe for a challenge, think British Leyland and cheap supercars.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PT6A posted:

Ola posted:

Yeah, I think that sounds great. They'll have tons of clichés to play with. And "nice" cars that turn out to be horrible is a great recipe for a challenge, think British Leyland and cheap supercars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymCTWX7Lu6I

I personally find the best segments to be the less-scripted ones

What do you mean, 'go ugly, early'?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MPPUZwaafM

Start around 5:10.

Clarkson, when he dressed to a tee, and was an awful presenter.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

There's something very Alan Partridge about that segment.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cloudchamber posted:

There's something very Alan Partridge about that segment.

"...drags the car down on its haunches, giving it a taut stance through the bends. It's clever stuff."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mooseykins posted:

And was also a young Jay Leno.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/jeremy-clarkson-quits-top-gear-show-cancelled-for-good-93287.html

I don't know if they are reading too much into this, but....

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mooseykins posted:

I see even back then he had no idea what "steering lock" was. :allears:

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bumming Your Scene posted:

That's probably the show I would have been interested in the most this season thus far, especially since we used to own a Fiat Spider

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

cloudchamber posted:

James Bond is produced by a American company, Harry Potter has been done for years, Doctor Who is nowhere near as popular as Top Gear (very much not aired in 200+ territories).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are we seriously arguing that the cancellation of Top Gear will impact the world's view of England in any significant way?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Are we seriously arguing that the cancellation of Top Gear will impact the world's view of England in any significant way?

I'm projecting a GDP shrinkage of more than 1% next year if the cancellation goes through.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

NihilismNow posted:

James Bond is produced by a American company, Harry Potter has been done for years, Doctor Who is nowhere near as popular as Top Gear (very much not aired in 200+ territories).

Rowling's writing a spin off trilogy of Harry Potter films right now. Doctor Who is more popular than TG in the UK, it can sometimes get twice as many viewers. Doctor Who is also broadcast in 200 or so territories like Top Gear is. The latter is also yet to have an episode simultaneously broadcast in a hundred countries like the fiftieth anniversary special of Doctor Who was.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

cloudchamber posted:

Rowling's writing a spin off trilogy of Harry Potter films right now. Doctor Who is more popular than TG in the UK, it can sometimes get twice as many viewers. Doctor Who is also broadcast in 200 or so territories like Top Gear is. The latter is also yet to have an episode simultaneously broadcast in a hundred countries like the fiftieth anniversary special of Doctor Who was.

So an extremely popular TV show with millions of viewers outside of the UK being cancelled won't change peoples perception of the UK?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Measly Twerp posted:

So an extremely popular TV show with millions of viewers outside of the UK being cancelled won't change peoples perception of the UK?

Do you change your perception of the united states every time a good american TV show gets cancelled?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Measly Twerp posted:

No. It's just a TV show. They'll find something else to watch and won't base their opinions on a foreign country solely on some piece of entertainment they produce.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Measly Twerp posted:

Lol.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Andrast posted:

Do you change your perception of the united states every time a good american TV show gets cancelled?

Don't you?

I die a little inside everytime a new 'Reality' show airs as well.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Don't you?

I die a little inside everytime a new 'Reality' show airs as well.

Ugh, this. There was one filmed in the town where I live featuring a good number of people I actually personally know and I spent the entire year half cringing, half watching out of morbid curiosity.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

T1g4h posted:

Ugh, this. There was one filmed in the town where I live featuring a good number of people I actually personally know and I spent the entire year half cringing, half watching out of morbid curiosity.

Let me guess, was it that one where William Shatner went to a town in Iowa and pretended to be filming a sci-fi movie which would star all the locals as extras and we would all get to laugh at the hicks and yokels but the joke was on him because it was just a normal town who was none too amused to have been played for fools?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Data Graham posted:

Let me guess, was it that one where William Shatner went to a town in Iowa and pretended to be filming a sci-fi movie which would star all the locals as extras and we would all get to laugh at the hicks and yokels but the joke was on him because it was just a normal town who was none too amused to have been played for fools?

You're not too far off with the hicks and yokels bit...

It made it one season. Then half the cast got arrested for meth / drug related charges / other stupidity.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Andrast posted:

It's such a vague statement, but yes, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the TV programming from a certain place can change the perception of that place. We're all extremely prone to bias.

cloudchamber posted:

No. It's just a TV show. They'll find something else to watch and won't base their opinions on a foreign country solely on some piece of entertainment they produce.

Nobody here said Top Gear was the sole basis people had for their opinions of the UK.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 15, 2015

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

leica posted:

Pretty sure Britain's international image is just tea and crumpets, nothing to worry about.

And Fish n' Chips and Colonialism :)

Residency Evil posted:

GOD SAVE TOP GEAR! LONG LIVE TOP GEAR! MAY TOP GEAR LIVE FOREVER, AMEN!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Fish n' Chips and Colonialism :)
drat right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Mat_Drinks posted:

And Fish n' Chips and Colonialism :)

GOD SAVE TOP GEAR! LONG LIVE TOP GEAR! MAY TOP GEAR LIVE FOREVER, AMEN!

And bad teeth.