Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jedit posted:

More than anything it looks like a battle axe or a partizan, though.

Mmmmmh, partizan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

someusername posted:

D&D nerds what would you call Areo's weapon?

A glaive?

I always played polearm guys in 3.0 and up , PNP and NWN, because 2h STR bonus and 3x crits, and in Baldurs because of the reach advantage.

I love polearms.

Quite clearly its a hacky-slashy chop-and-whacky.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Maarek posted:

Admittedly, I was disappointed in the last two books so maybe that influenced me, but I don't recall them being very interesting characters in the book series, either. The only thing I really remember about them is how they were arguing with Ellaria Sand about how awesome it would be to murder the little boy who loves kittens and being over the top with their blood lust.

Agreed.

Arianne's character in the book was sort of interesting (surprised they cut her in the show) but the Sand Snakes were entirely forgettable for me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm gonna wait until seeing scenes with dialogue before saying anything about how well they did the Sand Snakes' characters.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I thought the Sand Snakes were memorable if only because Arianne thinks of them as "the Red Viper with teats" or some such, which is just a spectacularly terrible way of putting it. I did kind of like their gradual introduction though, it reminded me of this fairy tale convention where someone was approached three times to do something.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ross posted:

Agreed.

Arianne's character in the book was sort of interesting (surprised they cut her in the show) but the Sand Snakes were entirely forgettable for me.

I for example cant remember a single one of then.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Elias_Maluco posted:

I for example cant remember a single one of then.

There was the transgender one secretly forging a chain at the Citadel. And one of the lil Snakes was baller at horse riding. That's all I got.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Off the top of my head, we have the manly Sand Snake who only dresses in leather and has a whip and maybe a spear, she addresses Doran first. Then we have the sexy one who likes to run around in stripper clothes but still has knives hidden all over the place, according to Areo. Then there is nun-snake, appearing to be modest, pious and whatnot, her favorite weapon is poison. I think Scary Snake is sent on a secret mission to kill he who is of the night, Sexy Snake is sent to take Oberyn's place in the council and Nun-Snake is sent to the Faith in King's Landing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Where are Sporty, Posh and Baby?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Where are Sporty, Posh and Baby?

Dead, Oldtown, literally a baby I think.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jedit posted:

Hotah's weapon looks rather like item 53 in this image.

That voulge looks like Faust's giant scalpel in Guilty Gear.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jedit posted:

Hotah's weapon looks rather like item 53 in this image.

You need to have your eyes checked if you think that blade is mounted on the shaft the same way as Areo's.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Mortabis posted:

This is hitting on the reason why I was very surprised at no Arianne.
Her name sounds too much like Arya!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

wukkar posted:

Her name sounds too much like Arya!

Yaranne?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Urinna.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It used to be Shithouse.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Grendels Dad posted:

Mmmmmh, partizan.

Everybody who has weighed in on this debate has completely ignored the fact that it's clearly an Asian weapon, and probably needs to watch more kung fu movies.

It's some sort of guan dao.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 15, 2015

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Entertainment Weekly has a huge spread on the show this week, with 4 different covers (Jon, Tyrion, Arya and Daenarys). There's some interesting write ups, particularly with the long-term actor who's getting killed this season. My guess on who's going to bite it: Jorah. I think he'll get killed in the pit, maybe by the dragon.

Additionally, I think Ellaria is going to take the place of Arianne.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Are the Sand Snakes really that hard to remember and distinguish? There were basically three of them that mattered and they were Dorne's Charlie's Angels. We knew the Dorne cast was being shaved down but keeping three Sand Snakes without distinguishing between them would be an odd choice.

It occurs to me that if there's no Arianne or Quentyn in the show, I guess Trystane is the heir of Sunspear? That really moves up the importance of his and Myrcella's plot, and since it looks like Jaime's being sent by Cersei to get her back that'll probably be the driving force behind the Dorne storyline.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Phenotype posted:

It used to be Shithouse.

Now is that pronounced shi thouse or poo poo house because the first sounds more right to me I don't know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Speleothing posted:

Everybody who has weighed in on this debate has completely ignored the fact that it's clearly an Asian weapon, and probably needs to watch more kung fu movies.

It's some sort of guan dao.

I'm not ignoring anything, I'm translating to European equivalents. There's only so many ways to put a bit of edged metal on a stick.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Dolash posted:

Are the Sand Snakes really that hard to remember and distinguish? There were basically three of them that mattered and they were Dorne's Charlie's Angels. We knew the Dorne cast was being shaved down but keeping three Sand Snakes without distinguishing between them would be an odd choice.

It occurs to me that if there's no Arianne or Quentyn in the show, I guess Trystane is the heir of Sunspear? That really moves up the importance of his and Myrcella's plot, and since it looks like Jaime's being sent by Cersei to get her back that'll probably be the driving force behind the Dorne storyline.

Jamie probably fills the Dorne Kingsguard stuff where he gets laid a bunch, then can't properly protect Mycella where she gets her ear cut off in an ambush.

In turn furthers the wedge between Cersei and Jamie

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Now we're in the final weeks before the series starts I'm starting to dread it. Not only will things change, but I'll no longer be able to maintain my smug book-reader status. :ohdear:

Being a holder of secret knowledge at work was so fun.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Steve2911 posted:

Now we're in the final weeks before the series starts I'm starting to dread it. Not only will things change, but I'll no longer be able to maintain my smug book-reader status. :ohdear:

Being a holder of secret knowledge at work was so fun.

Well, there's always that Wheel of Time series they just did that pilot for. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Umbra Dubium posted:

Well, there's always that Wheel of Time series they just did that pilot for. :v:

I know that's a joke, but holy poo poo so was that pilot apparently. FXX just aired it randomly at like 1AM in the middle of the week. And when they were asked about it, Fox was like "ah, yeah... someone just gave us this tape... we didn't know what to do with it, so we shoved it in the off-air infomercial block... I dunno".

Some guy literally just made it in secret without telling Harriet McDougal, Brandon Sanderson, or Universal Studios (who hold the rights to any potential film or television adaptations of WoT), somehow convinced Billy Zane to appear in it, and then paid FXX money to air it.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Grendels Dad posted:

Off the top of my head, we have the manly Sand Snake who only dresses in leather and has a whip and maybe a spear, she addresses Doran first. Then we have the sexy one who likes to run around in stripper clothes but still has knives hidden all over the place, according to Areo. Then there is nun-snake, appearing to be modest, pious and whatnot, her favorite weapon is poison. I think Scary Snake is sent on a secret mission to kill he who is of the night, Sexy Snake is sent to take Oberyn's place in the council and Nun-Snake is sent to the Faith in King's Landing.

There's the one that will get naked, the other one that will get naked, and the third one, who will get naked.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

nine-gear crow posted:

I know that's a joke, but holy poo poo so was that pilot apparently. FXX just aired it randomly at like 1AM in the middle of the week. And when they were asked about it, Fox was like "ah, yeah... someone just gave us this tape... we didn't know what to do with it, so we shoved it in the off-air infomercial block... I dunno".

Some guy literally just made it in secret without telling Harriet McDougal, Brandon Sanderson, or Universal Studios (who hold the rights to any potential film or television adaptations of WoT), somehow convinced Billy Zane to appear in it, and then paid FXX money to air it.

And then died in a car crash.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Universe Master posted:

There's the one that will get naked, the other one that will get naked, and the third one, who will get naked.

i hope so

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Universe Master posted:

Please do not post excerpts from my fanfiction here

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

Please do not post excerpts from my fanfiction here

GRRM?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Not enough incest.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Irish Joe posted:

Not enough incest.

Is that a statement or a complaint?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

auzdark posted:

Jamie probably fills the Dorne Kingsguard stuff where he gets laid a bunch, then can't properly protect Mycella where she gets her ear cut off in an ambush.

In turn furthers the wedge between Cersei and Jamie

Jaime is probably going to go down there with the head of the mountain whether or not they have some kingsguard stand in die early on in the season to trigger someone having to go is a bit of a mystery. They might not even bother with having Myrcella go for a ride to have an ear removed. There's no reason to introduce Dark Star. Jaime could just head down after "an incident" occurs and get harried along the way by Dornish dickheads or sand snake stand ins.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jaime will just absorb all of Dark Star's characteristics and some of the more memorable lines, after this season he shall be known as Golden Star.

He will cut Myrcella's ear off while trying to show off how much better he has become with the sword fighting.

edit: Something unrelated that dawned on me the other day, is "Sword of the Morning" a pun on morning wood?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Grendels Dad posted:

edit: Something unrelated that dawned on me the other day, is "Sword of the Morning" a pun on morning wood?

Probably not, but I like it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Jaimie's really bad at his job.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Jaime is probably going to go down there with the head of the mountain whether or not they have some kingsguard stand in die early on in the season to trigger someone having to go is a bit of a mystery. They might not even bother with having Myrcella go for a ride to have an ear removed. There's no reason to introduce Dark Star. Jaime could just head down after "an incident" occurs and get harried along the way by Dornish dickheads or sand snake stand ins.

We don't even know for sure that the Mountain will be headless in the show.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Jaimie's really bad at his job.

So is Arys Oakheart! Makes sense.

Oakheart had two jobs: (1) protect the princess (2) don't get laid. Neither of them worked out very well.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Beeez posted:

We don't even know for sure that the Mountain will be headless in the show.

I'm guessing no and they'll drop Robert Strong and just make it clear its Zombie Gregor from the get-go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

loquacius posted:

So is Arys Oakheart! Makes sense.

Oakheart had two jobs: (1) protect the princess (2) don't get laid. Neither of them worked out very well.

Now be fair, if Oakheart hadn't charged in a sudden fit of :black101: Myrcella's horse wouldn't have reared and Darkstar would have likely succeeded in cutting her head off.

• Locked thread