Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've never understood where that one comes from. Is it a holdover from opinions formed by Americans over here decades ago, before there was NHS dentistry? Or just reflecting that the UK tends not to go in as much for almost fake-looking whitened teeth (Hammond excepted, of course)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Dear god, if there was any doubt that the Beeb needs TG, it's seeing how they struggle to fill the scheduling gap with a watchable replacement.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

InitialDave posted:

I've never understood where that one comes from. Is it a holdover from opinions formed by Americans over here decades ago, before there was NHS dentistry? Or just reflecting that the UK tends not to go in as much for almost fake-looking whitened teeth (Hammond excepted, of course)?

The second part mostly. Everyone on TV (from cartoons to shows seemingly showing people from thousands of years ago) has exceptionally perfect teeth because we spend thousands of dollars to make it so. It's a bit odd, but we're fatter than most countries so we need to make it up somehow.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Andrast posted:

Do you change your perception of the united states every time a good american TV show gets cancelled?

I remember when Two And A Half Men collapsed because of Charlie Sheen, and America's international reputation crumbled. Conveniently, that was a well-known show about an arrogant and somehow sucessful buffoon, an intelligent but kind of boring guy, and a really short bloke, which had serious troubles after the first guy was in the news a lot for being kind of dumb and awful.

I kid, Top Gear was nothing like that. They had barely any drug-fuelled antics. I think.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

spog posted:

Dear god, if there was any doubt that the Beeb needs TG, it's seeing how they struggle to fill the scheduling gap with a watchable replacement.

What were you expecting? They weren't going to be able to put together something new in the space of a week.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Ariza posted:

The second part mostly. Everyone on TV (from cartoons to shows seemingly showing people from thousands of years ago) has exceptionally perfect teeth because we spend thousands of dollars to make it so. It's a bit odd, but we're fatter than most countries so we need to make it up somehow.

That, and fake teeth fronts are really common on American television. It was pretty jarring when HDTV first came out because film crews and actors weren't as good as hiding them at first and it's pretty easy to tell in HD.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

TheDarkFlame posted:

I remember when Two And A Half Men collapsed because of Charlie Sheen, and America's international reputation crumbled. Conveniently, that was a well-known show about an arrogant and somehow sucessful buffoon, an intelligent but kind of boring guy, and a really short bloke, which had serious troubles after the first guy was in the news a lot for being kind of dumb and awful.

I kid, Top Gear was nothing like that. They had barely any drug-fuelled antics. I think.

The difference being that the US has many shows rebroadcast in other countries compared to the UK which only has a few. Before I started watching Top Gear the only British produced show I'd ever watched was Red Dwarf on PBS. Once Top Gear ends (one way or another, it will eventually) a bunch of people are going to go back to having their only exposure to English people being American produced entertainment using stereotypes, usually set in a military engagement where the US defeats/saves England.

Although if I lived in England, I'd rather lose representation in popular culture than have tons of people go on BBC World News and complain about Clarkson being a literal Captain Planet villain who practically runs England because he's wealthy and knows the Prime Minister.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

I'm an American and I can sincerely assure concerned Brits that the end of Top Gear will alter not our view of your drizzly little island. It is heartwarming you guys think so much is riding on one car show.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

HEY VAPER posted:

That, and fake teeth fronts are really common on American television. It was pretty jarring when HDTV first came out because film crews and actors weren't as good as hiding them at first and it's pretty easy to tell in HD.

I had no idea that was a thing? GIS turns up nothing, is there a good picture of this phenomenon?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Watermelon City posted:

I'm an American and I can sincerely assure concerned Brits that the end of Top Gear will alter not our view of your drizzly little island. It is heartwarming you guys think so much is riding on one car show.

As a different American I'd say that I probably wouldn't alter my view of Moistland, just that I'll stop caring entirely once it goes back to having no representation in Things That Affect My Life (tm). At least until James May decides to send some British toy I've never heard of into the Challenger Deep or something.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

bolind posted:

I had no idea that was a thing? GIS turns up nothing, is there a good picture of this phenomenon?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Internationally, top gear is infinitely more popular than Dictor Who. Dont get mr wrong I love the Doctor but top gear is more than likely the most popukar show BBC produces.

Also I love thr guy saying the show would be better with different presenters. Its like we have found the person that kept writing those letters in "DEAR MR. SO CALLED TOP GEAR"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

Actually, can't we replace him with Keeley Hawes?

:stwoon:
She's the reason I started watching MI-5.

But they really need another middle-aged white guy.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

AcidRonin posted:

Internationally, top gear is infinitely more popular than Dictor Who. Dont get mr wrong I love the Doctor but top gear is more than likely the most popukar show BBC produces.

I used to like Doctor Who but it's really not been buttering my bread lately. And I'm not even one of those "Tom Baker 4evar" people, I like the newer episodes, but the last couple of seasons have really just not held my interest.

Conversely, the last few seasons of Top Gear have been genuinely fun and good and I don't want that to go away.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

CornHolio posted:

I used to like Doctor Who but it's really not been buttering my bread lately. And I'm not even one of those "Tom Baker 4evar" people, I like the newer episodes, but the last couple of seasons have really just not held my interest.

Conversely, the last few seasons of Top Gear have been genuinely fun and good and I don't want that to go away.

Never liked Dr Who - though I was never much one for any strain of sci-fi - meanwhile - Englands' greatest stealth hipster

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Can you speak and/or understand French? Do you like Top Gear?

Well, then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtShNfEz5_Y

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

bolind posted:

They're called veneers.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Another foreign Top Gear? Hell yes, I liked Russian top gear far too much. It was just so bad :ussr:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

What are they going to say now that france is no longer the one country in the world that doesn't get top gear.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

They're called veneers.
I think he's talking about these things that are like a more detailed version of those fake vampire teeth kids wear for halloween, rather than proper veneers.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well, then...

Ok, that actually looks really good.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

I think he's talking about these things that are like a more detailed version of those fake vampire teeth kids wear for halloween, rather than proper veneers.

Oh right, in that case, no idea!

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Mooseykins posted:

It looks like a bonafide French copy of TGUK, complete with amphibious cars. That's not a bad thing mind you, except now I'd have to learn french.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well, then...

As someone learning French... :getin:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I would watch that.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

SiliconX posted:

It looks like a bonafide French copy of TGUK, complete with amphibious cars. That's not a bad thing mind you, except now I'd have to learn french.

The China version looks alright too, but I have even less hope of understanding Chinese than French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIm-cWRelj0

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mooseykins posted:

These guys actually seem to get it.

I feel the infectious sense of fun even without understanding a word of it.

(except "Banzai")

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm excited because the French version has a Dacia Sandero as the reasonably priced car.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

open24hours posted:

I'm excited because the French version has a Dacia Sandero as the reasonably priced car.

How has James not posted a time yet? He must be very excited.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Hopefully he's one of their first stars.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
James May is probably their Stig.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The second best top gear is the Russian top gear.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hey how about that US Top Gear. Right guys?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
:chloe:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cojawfee posted:

Hey how about that US Top Gear. Right guys?

When's that poo poo coming back anyway?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whenever they finish recharging their "Really?" -o-trons.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I'm ok with clarkson getting canned if they give james the top gear crew to make more car documentaries and drinking shows.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

SiliconX posted:

Who's the chick in your avatar?

She hot.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Mooseykins posted:

Who's the chick in your avatar?

She hot.
Uhhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

Britain's international image does not rest on the BBC producing seven hours of footage of Clarkson pissing around a year.

International image?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nmcqrAopaLs