Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
so.cl: it's the only social network sadder than ello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

call me dumb but i thought MSN was literally made because of some anti-trust thing so they had to splinter off some group? now it's back with windows?

nah, msn way predates the antitrust stuff. it was microsoft's answer to yahoo, back in the late nineties when portals were the hottest poo poo around

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

and it was ms' aol as it grew into a dismal dialup isp that nobody used

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

go.com

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah it was a dialup service like prodigy

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

msn is so old there was a joke about it on duckman

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

univbee posted:

msn is so old there was a joke about it on duckman

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

shadow puppet of a posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuvDkIZmU3s

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

i liked msn dialup because it had the pretty butterfly

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

msn was the best because I could get 3 yellow bars on Starcraft with msn dialup, not the 1 or 2 red bars with aol

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Clockwerk posted:

msn was the best because I could get 3 yellow bars on Starcraft with msn dialup, not the 1 or 2 red bars with aol

eww I'd never let a 3 bar join my game. laAAAAG

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PleasureKevin posted:

call me dumb but i thought MSN was literally made because of some anti-trust thing so they had to splinter off some group? now it's back with windows?
youre dumb

msn was microsofts big plan to get into the online service market and compete with aol with a similar walled garden approach to email and chat and shopping and news and weather and all that crap. it was supposed to be a key part of windows 95 and the concern was that it would blow away aol because it would be present by default on every single windows desktop, effectively crowding aol out (and setting off antitrust alarms in the process). it was also part of a multi-prong ms online strategy that included webtv and msnbc.

in early 1995, someone (supposedly a young steve sinofsky) convinced bill gates to sit down and try this newfangled "in-ter-net" thing that people were raving about. so bill spent nine straight hours surfing the early www with his copy of netscape 1.1 and when he was done he sat down and wrote a brilliant memo that said 1) this netscape thing will destroy us if we dont act immediately (and we may already be too late) and 2) as of right now microsoft is an internet company and every product we make is now an internet product and we are going to focus every erg of our energy on making sure we dont get swept away by this giant wave which is just about to swamp the entire technology industry. remember, this was at a time when internet use meant mom-and-pop isps with unix shell accounts, and the overall assumption was that the raw internet was too weird and complicated and confusing and wild west for non-nerds to use so most people would use services like aol or msn

so microsoft made an enormous company-wide pivot and poured a ton of resources into internet explorer and fighting netscape on every level and subverting w3c, and it worked (too well - they got into severe antitrust trouble in the process). that memo meant that msn was a dead product before it even launched, and it has spent the last 20 years stumbling around looking for a purpose or niche or a justification for its existence

tl;dr - msn was microsofts answer to aol until they realize that aol-like services were a dead end and msn has been flailing around ever since

that memo was also the last time microsoft ever managed to do anything correctly at the corporate level. since 1995 msft has been challenged by lots of new technologies and theyve hosed up the response every time. in the early 2000s they perceived the risk that google posed to them and ordered an allhands strategy change to battle google for dominance of web services (especially search) and online advertising - and it flopped completely. same with media players and mobile devices and smart screens and tablets and social networks and everything else

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the win10 thread in sh/sc is some loving stockholm syndrome case study

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

3/4 users agree

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

PleasureKevin posted:

3/4 users agree

Im the dithering

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

uncurable mlady posted:

Im the dithering

Sounds like you need to riff this post

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I think there is a convergence of MS and Lenovo stupidity causing problems with patches this month and from a few (3?) ago. One of the updates that hosed up a while ago was hardening of the update service by requiring a SHA2 cert and pinning MS certs to the service. I had to do some work with our systems because our Nod32 config does https inspection by running a local MITM for those connections. MS backed off on the patch, but then pushed it again this month to similar results with a lot of people complaining they can't connect to MS update services any more.

SuperFish does pretty much the exact same thing except for completely stupid reasons and doesn't generate a unique cert for each install which would cause the exact same problem for updates, as would all the other lovely stupid software that runs on the same engine constantly presenting the wrong cert when your computer tries to pull updates.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
for some reason i don't feel sorry for broken things because of mitm ssl certificates

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
ssl cert mitm seems like it's becoming more and more popular, which owns

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Celexi posted:

for some reason i don't feel sorry for broken things because of mitm ssl certificates

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

there's valid use cases. things are phoning home to c&c servers over tls is fairly common now and leaves a blind spot where traditional http inspection no longer applies. but as history has proven, crypto is hard and most everyone fucks it up so only go down that road if you know what you are getting in to and have a vendor you trust and can work with. running https mitm for targeted ad injection or some stupid game platform and whatever else the superfish guts got put in to is stupid and far to easy for someone to accidentally do without knowing or understanding the implications

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

engajit posted:

While Microsoft has traditionally uses Windows Update to deliver OS and some application updates from a single source, the latest leaked build of Windows 10 reveals that the company is moving towards P2P. A new option allows Windows 10 users to enable "updates from more than one place," with the ability to download apps and OS updates from multiple sources to obtain them more quickly.

im literally excited for when microsoft loses control of its signing key and this becomes a massive security problem

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hmm yes we seem to be revoking broken updates every month, how can we make it harder to stop their distribution?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Microsoft can't afford all that expensive bandwidth anymore.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Do ISPs cache Windows Update? That seems like a useful thing to do.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

pseudorandom name posted:

Do ISPs cache Windows Update? That seems like a useful thing to do.

iirc MS has been paying ISPs for this since the 90s

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
and I think you can self cache your poo poo with WSUS but I don't know what that means

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that isn't exactly useful for non-technical women and children

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
just wanted to mention we are on page 343

is halo MCC finally 100% playable?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ahmeni posted:

and I think you can self cache your poo poo with WSUS but I don't know what that means

That's a Windows Server feature used for companies who would rather not download the latest windows updates 50 times due to each computer doing it on their own

Come to think of it, can WSUS handle the store Windows 8.1 update?

mod sassinator posted:

just wanted to mention we are on page 343

is halo MCC finally 100% playable?

It's better than it was but still too buggy to be an acceptable standard.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gis "cortana" and you still get nother but a bunch of naked anime boob lady

~*brand synergy*~

i know microsoft is a bit stupid and all that but jesus christ it's what, almost one year on from that decision and it as is mindblowingly loving idiotic as it was the day it was announced

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

univbee posted:

That's a Windows Server feature used for companies who would rather not download the latest windows updates 50 times due to each computer doing it on their own

Come to think of it, can WSUS handle the store Windows 8.1 update?

It's better than it was but still too buggy to be an acceptable standard.

It also lets you control exactly which updates go to which computers. So you can apply new updates only to a victim set of computers to see if it tanks anything

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

os x 'server' is total poo poo but caching works really well and is great if you have a network full of ios stuff hth.

of course microsofts version of that will be terrible.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

Microsoft can't afford all that expensive bandwidth anymore.

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

gis "cortana" and you still get nother but a bunch of naked anime boob lady

~*brand synergy*~

i know microsoft is a bit stupid and all that but jesus christ it's what, almost one year on from that decision and it as is mindblowingly loving idiotic as it was the day it was announced

uhh thats who its named after. what would replace her?

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

name it master chief

same number of syllables

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol nothing but blue tits and suggestively parted lips for the first 4 rows of results

pram
Jun 10, 2001
monkey ninja unicorn of doom

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

THC posted:

lol nothing but blue tits and suggestively parted lips for the first 4 rows of results

i can't decide if this or pot-smoking elmo is funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

THC posted:

lol im a micropenised gamer human being who cant do anything for ten minutes without looking at a naked woman first

• Locked thread