Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Firstborn posted:

Someone made this huge reddit post analyzing scenes from the Bardock episode where all the Saiyan babby pods are shown and stuff, and kind of mathed out that there's something like 150,000 saiyans that escaped the destruction of the planet based on just how many pods are showing blasting off all the loving time.

The Bardock special itself isn't canon, Toriyama just made Bardock's design canon retroactively and then replaced it with Minus, which explicitely says all Saiyans were being called back to the homeworld. Granted, Vegeta and his crew still avoided it because they were off on a mission somewhere or something, so that's not saying much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's just a fan theory, obviously.

In it's entirety:

Reddit posted:

Throughout DBZ there is a running gag of Vegeta saying "I am the Prince of all Saiyans" despite us only seeing a handful in series and movies (Goku, Bardock, Borgos, Broly, Fasha, King Vegeta, Nappa, Paragus, Raditz, Tarble, Tora, Turles, Vegeta, Bulla, Gohan, Goten, Pan, Trunks). Along with the notion that the Saiyan race is pretty much extinct except for the main characters. But this is wrong and not plausible given what the Saiyans' role was under Frieza.

So the Saiyan-Tuffle war ends in the Age of 730. At this point in their history the Saiyans are just brutes with no technology until the Arcosians arrive and trade technology in exchange for them conquering planets. Shortly after seeing how good Saiyans are at fighting/killing they are annexed under Frieza and his Planet Trade Organization in the Age of 731 and become part of his military. And let’s assume it takes about a year for the planet to be fully developed as seen in the flashbacks and in the movie Bardock- The Father of Goku. So the planet is all up and running in the Age of 732.

So Frieza has the Saiyans doing his dirty work conquering planets across the universe for himself or for sale. His need/demand/want is so great that the Saiyans send their babies to planets with weak inhabitants to conquer. This continues until Frieza destroys the planet in the Age of 737. So for 5 years the Saiyans are sending their young to the ends of the universe for Frieza. Now the only question is how many are being sent daily. In the movie Bardock- The Father of Goku you can see a long hallway where the space pods are where the babies are sent out. From the scene you can see ~14 pods from the two sides and we can safely assume the hallway has more. And in the movie Broly- The Legendary Super Saiyan you get a better look at the nursery and you see ~8 beds with babies and again we can assume there are more.

So the Saiyans had no problems sending their babies to these planets because any babies that were decently strong would stay on the planet to be raised as elites. The weak are sent away with no exception e.g. Tarble was sent away for being too weak despite being from Royal blood. In episode 124 "Z Warriors Prepare" King Vegeta says to Vegeta "The weakest of our people are sent to planets far away, where they face no threat from our enemies" while standing in front of a window pointing out the spacepods (carrying babies) leaving the planet. In the scene you can see ~60 spacepods leaving. And let's assume this happens at least once a week and that Planet Vegeta's year is similar to Earth since the whole series refers to time the same way the Earth does.

So considering all this you have:

60 Saiyans sent out weekly every year over 5 years

60x52x5 = 15600 Saiyans in the Universe

And what happens after Frieza destroys Planet Vegeta? He lies about what happened to cover his tracks telling people that a comet destroyed the planet. He doesn't bother hunting down and killing the remaining Saiyans because he killed the strongest of them on the planet with the exception of Vegeta, Nappa, and Raditz. The weakest ones are of no threat to him and scattered across the universe (except Goku). And everyone pretty much accepts this, even Raditz is under the impression that is how things happened stating in the second episode "3 years ago, our planet was destroyed by meteorites". And of the Saiyans that were sent some were female, since all Saiyans love to fight and women did help conquer planets as well (Fasha a female Saiyan was on Bardock's team). The Saiyan race is alive and well, just separated by a distance.

TL;DR Frieza left thousands of Saiyans in the universe because he was trying to conquer it.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 15, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

WickedHate posted:

The Bardock special itself isn't canon, Toriyama just made Bardock's design canon retroactively and then replaced it with Minus, which explicitely says all Saiyans were being called back to the homeworld. Granted, Vegeta and his crew still avoided it because they were off on a mission somewhere or something, so that's not saying much.

If the Saiyans were freely spacefaring and running off to do missions all the time there's no way there aren't hundreds of them still alive just chilling on other planets for funsies.

Space is big.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You can read more about it in my dragonball doujinshi, that I'm making right now.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well yeah, all those Saiyans populating Tokitoki city had to come from somewhere.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sharkopath posted:

If the Saiyans were freely spacefaring and running off to do missions all the time there's no way there aren't hundreds of them still alive just chilling on other planets for funsies.

Space is big.

I get that, I'm just pointing out when non canon sources(the Bardock special) that contradict canon(Minus) are used for theorizing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Tangentially related: my favorite Xenoverse theory on where your Saiyans come from is that Freeza's Death Ball sent every one of them through time, not just Bardock. :v:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I loving hate Gohan's Kai/Xenoverse voice. He sounded so much better in the older Funimation dub. Also, really surprised how many "young boy" voice actors are female.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

New Leaf posted:

I loving hate Gohan's Kai/Xenoverse voice. He sounded so much better in the older Funimation dub. Also, really surprised how many "young boy" voice actors are female.

All of them, mostly because of puberty reasons.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sharkopath posted:

So what you're saying is, they should bring back castrato.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Sharkopath posted:

They could have pulled an Adventure Time and let him grow up with the character. I guess they're in more of a rush than that though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

New Leaf posted:

They could have pulled an Adventure Time and let him grow up with the character. I guess they're in more of a rush than that though.

Funimation actually did that with Fullmetal Alchemist. They had to recast Al when they dubbed Brotherhood because the kid's voice had dropped.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Firstborn posted:

Tangentially related: my favorite Xenoverse theory on where your Saiyans come from is that Freeza's Death Ball sent every one of them through time, not just Bardock. :v:

Pretty sure that was Demigra's doing, with his post-death wormhole shenanigans. Though with all the Time Travel shenanigans going on, sure as hell can't discount other survivors being wormhole'd or something.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Also, really surprised how many "young boy" voice actors are female.
Trunks, grown up.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Same VA?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yup, Laura Bailey. Also voiced Erasa, Videl's bestie.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Funimation actually did that with Fullmetal Alchemist. They had to recast Al when they dubbed Brotherhood because the kid's voice had dropped.
My favorite part of that is they let him voice a random grunt just to give him something to do with the new show.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Tae posted:

A question that I always had, and I don't know if this was a translation error or Toriyama forgetting. In the first tournament arc, Roshi is surprised that Goku can use the Kamehameha, learning it in a single day. Now is that a mistranslation, because he clearly saw Goku use it right after that event with the Ox King.

A mistranslation most likely, unless he was pretending to be surprised as Jackie Chun.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
Isnt Goku voiced by a girl in the Japanese DBZ?

[€dit] yes. The voice of goku:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I see she's already attained the Super Saiyan God form.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sharkopath posted:

Space is big.

Yeah, I always kind of figured there had to be quite a few Saiyans left. It was just that most of them are probably stuck alone on planets somewhere. Either literally, if they managed to wipe out their planets like they were supposed to, or just racially like Goku pre-Vegeta.

It would be kind of an interesting thing to do with a post-Z series, actually. Have Vegeta decide he wants to really be Prince again and wish for all the surviving Saiyans to be brought to Earth (or wish for a New Planet Vegeta). It would kind of poo poo on his growth as coming to embrace Earth and humanity as his new people, but oh well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yeah, I always kind of figured there had to be quite a few Saiyans left. It was just that most of them are probably stuck alone on planets somewhere. Either literally, if they managed to wipe out their planets like they were supposed to, or just racially like Goku pre-Vegeta.

It would be kind of an interesting thing to do with a post-Z series, actually. Have Vegeta decide he wants to really be Prince again and wish for all the surviving Saiyans to be brought to Earth (or wish for a New Planet Vegeta). It would kind of poo poo on his growth as coming to embrace Earth and humanity as his new people, but oh well.

I dunno, having Bulma end up being the Queen of all Saiyain's could be mined for some comedy. He doesn't have to forsake earth and humanity to want to unite his people again. Bring them all to earth and have him/Goku have a story about them teaching them that hey, don't always have to destroy poo poo.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
There's a good chance that what Saiyans ARE left are not exactly strong warriors, like Tarble or Goku's mom. They just kinda accept their lot in life and don't bother anyone, taking on strange alien wives and husbands and just sorta chilling. Might explain why nobody bothers them, or why they're not bothering anyone important.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

Bring them all to earth and have Gohan teaching them how to protect earth as the great Saiyaman sentai.

Fixed that.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Didn't something like that happen in Dragonball Online, where all Humans have tiny traces of Saiyan blood in them and can wish for the Super Saiyan Transformation from Shenron?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Crossposting from the 13th Age thread, I made more DBZ races for the tabletop game 13th Age

Bio Androids
Frost Demons
Majin

This is in addition to Notable Humans, Saiyans, and Namekinas that I've already made.

Edit: Links fixed

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 15, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

-Fish- posted:

Crossposting from the 13th Age thread, I made more DBZ races for the tabletop game 13th Age

Bio Androids
Frost Demons
Majin

This is in addition to Notable Humans, Saiyans, and Namekinas that I've already made.

You linked to Majin twice.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Fixed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zzulu posted:

Isnt Goku voiced by a girl in the Japanese DBZ?

[€dit] yes. The voice of goku:

Fun fact, the French voice of Goku is also the French voice of David Boreanaz.
Patrick Borg

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The new DBZ movie will be titled Resurrection F by Funimation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The press release calls this the 19th feature film...I feel like I'm missing some. There were 13 movies prior to Battle of Gods, so Resurrection F would make 15? Even counting the two TV specials and that one Yo Son Goku and Friends thing (Which I don't think has ever been dubbed?), that only makes 18...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

jivjov posted:

The press release calls this the 19th feature film...I feel like I'm missing some. There were 13 movies prior to Battle of Gods, so Resurrection F would make 15? Even counting the two TV specials and that one Yo Son Goku and Friends thing (Which I don't think has ever been dubbed?), that only makes 18...

By the two TV specials, you mean both of the Bardock features?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Spiritus Nox posted:

By the two TV specials, you mean both of the Bardock features?

I forgot about Episode of Bardock. I was counting the old Bardock: Father of Goku special and History of Trunks.

Was Episode of Bardock considered a feature film?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Do they count Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

jivjov posted:

The Dragon Ball movies.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yeah there were 4 Dragon Ball movies, so Battle of Gods would've been the 18th.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really excited about news that its actually coming to NA in a timely manner

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Resurrection F is a good name for a movie. Any movie.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TriffTshngo posted:

Yeah there were 4 Dragon Ball movies, so Battle of Gods would've been the 18th.

Ahhh, that explains it. I always forget about those; they're one of the few Dragon Ball things I don't own...weren't they just literal condensed plot lines from the show?

• Locked thread