Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'll do you one better. Everyone I've talked to who liked Faiz has said it was their first series. (And the effects of first-series-nostalgia are well-known.)

Well presumably its not just noatalgia. I mean if a series is going to get you into watching these shows it's got to have the right mix of elements that gets you interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'll do you one better. Everyone I've talked to who liked Faiz has said it was their first series. (And the effects of first-series-nostalgia are well-known.)

This is definitely true. I love Faiz, but it was also my first series.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

Well presumably its not just noatalgia. I mean if a series is going to get you into watching these shows it's got to have the right mix of elements that gets you interested.

Yes, but how much of that is the series itself and how much is people seeing what we would regard as "the same old poo poo" for the first time? When I first watched Go-onger I was amazed by such little things as "this episode's outcome directly effects the episode after it," or "these characters are referencing something that hasn't been discussed in awhile" or "oh look there's some blood!" If I'd seen that show after watching three or four other ones none of that would have been drawing me in as a new or special take on the material.

Anyways, I haven't watched Faiz but at least the main suit looks neat. Wish I could say that about all of Heisei rider.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cliff Racer posted:

Yes, but how much of that is the series itself and how much is people seeing what we would regard as "the same old poo poo" for the first time? When I first watched Go-onger I was amazed by such little things as "this episode's outcome directly effects the episode after it," or "these characters are referencing something that hasn't been discussed in awhile" or "oh look there's some blood!" If I'd seen that show after watching three or four other ones none of that would have been drawing me in as a new or special take on the material.

Anyways, I haven't watched Faiz but at least the main suit looks neat. Wish I could say that about all of Heisei rider.

Faiz is mostly just bad

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Cliff Racer posted:

You're not alone in liking the design of Faiz. Faiz's suit is of the best in the franchise and it has a great arsenal and an awesome belt voice.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I really do like the suits in Faiz, but I can't stand the show itself. The characters are all loathsome, the plot is lame as hell and the effects are lovely enough to dislike but not lovely enough to be awesome in their shittiness.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Inoue loves this 'anxiety ridden heroes, cursed to fight and only know the world through fighting' poo poo as sort of a modern and more melodramatic spin on classic Rider and it means a lot of characters in his shows have problems that could be resolved with a five minute conversation between sensible adults.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

That's true, but Faiz has a lot of atypical elements. To be fair a lot of those elements are not very positive things.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I really do like the suits in Faiz, but I can't stand the show itself. The characters are all loathsome, the plot is lame as hell and the effects are lovely enough to dislike but not lovely enough to be awesome in their shittiness.

What I find weird is at this point I can probably say more positive things about Kabuto, a show I didn't care for, than Faiz, a show I really liked. On the other hand stuff I found lovely in Faiz isn't present throughout the entirety of the show like Kabuto.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Seriously, was there anyone on that show who isn't a horrible person in some manner? Hell, you could even consider the secondary Rider to be one of the primary villians in a way(Unless Kusaka suddenly develops some kind of redeeming qualities twords the end that I forgot, but I doubt it).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 15, 2015

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Seriously, was there anyone on that show who isn't a horrible person in some manner? Hell, you could even consider the secondary Rider to be one of the primary villians in a way(Unless Kusaka suddenly develops some kind of redeeming qualities twords the end that I forgot, but I doubt it).

He doesn't.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Faiz was right smack dab in the middle of the "dudes staring around staring at each other" era of Kaman Rider. There is a lot of weird, awkward pauses in dialogue, terrible dutch angles, low budget camera effects and go-nowhere story.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

He doesn't.

That's what I thought, which is why I can't think of him as a "hero" in any sense of the word seeing as everything he did was for the sake of himself and his stalkerish obsession with Mari. Also, if the characters just properly explained themselves to each other when something happened, half the conflicts in this show wouldn't even exist.

I kind of liked the Orphenoch trio and the general idea of Faiz is kind of Showa-esque if you think about it. On the other hand, none of the main protagonists seemed all that likeable to me at all to the point where I wonder if they were purposefully made that way, the show was just poorly written and executed, or both.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 16, 2015

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Faiz was the first serious I finished all the way through but it was defiantly not my favorite at the end. I can kind of see what they were trying to do but the plot and characters did not come together quiet right. Still I do like the Orphenoch designs and found the rogue monsters the most likable of the cast. Plus the belt voice is pretty sweet. Not much else I would rank particularly high.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
What's the census on Drive? Toei tends to have this bad habit of following up a good show with a mediocre as poo poo one

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I prefer it to Gaim, for the most part

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Race Realists posted:

What's the census on Drive? Toei tends to have this bad habit of following up a good show with a mediocre as poo poo one

It was way too light hearted for me to start with, and certain things just didn't gel with me so I've dropped it, unlike Gaim.

I'll wait and see where it goes before deciding if I should watch it or not later.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's really well written, manages to do both seriousness and comedy really well, the characters, both heroes and villains, are likable and the plot is engaging as hell.

Literally the only bad thing I can think of is that Type Deadheat looks like poo poo and we're unlikely to stop seeing it since it's still Mach's best form. And when that's the only complaint, then I can say it is a drat good series.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
My biggest complaint with Drive right now is it seems most of the Shift Cars won't get to be used by Drive and also that Type Technic was really unnecessary.

Otherwise I love it.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Stallion Cabana posted:

My biggest complaint with Drive right now is it seems most of the Shift Cars won't get to be used by Drive and also that Type Technic was really unnecessary.

Otherwise I love it.

I kind of like that not all of the Shift Cars absolutely must be used, that some of them are just there to be their own bit characters and do super :3: antics like Deco Traveler's WITNESS OF PASSIONATE COURAGE. It also lessens the sting of a few of them only being used once and then never the gently caress again (Justice Hunter).

On the other hand, I really want to know what Burning Solar's Tire Change looks like.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For a moment, during the episode, I thought Kiriko would consider taking up the mantle of Chaser/Proto-Drive on her own and become a Secondary Rider. Then the rest of the episode came along and I remembered that we can't have main Female riders

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I like Faiz alright and it was my first series but I don't love it, it's kind of bad though I enjoyed watching it. The ending is terrible, nobody talks to each other, and somehow Keitaro and Yuka not realizing they were each other's email boy/girlfriend despite texting each other literally sitting beside each other in one episode.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I'm not a huge fan of Drive's suit design or power-ups (I like the shift cars as bit characters themselves, I'm just not a fan of the tire-changing) but I love the characters, I think it mixes comedy pretty well with the more serious parts, and I enjoy it enough that I look forward to watching it every week. So far it holds up well to W and Gaim, which are my personal favorites. I do wish it had catchier insert songs. There's Mach's theme, but nothing I like on the level of Rise Up Your Flag or Reverse/Rebirth.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Yoshi Sudarso
@Yoshistunts
I asked them a couple things. No Akibaranger season 3 :( but they ARE planning for more japanese toku shows for US release, like zyuranger!

9:14pm · 15 Mar 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of things becoming available in America; I spoke to a couple Crunchyroll reps at a convention this weekend, and thanked them for getting Ultraman up on their derive and if we could expect more Toku, especially of a Sentai or Rider variety. I was told that while they would love to do so, doing any Sentai or Rider stuff involved negotiations with Saban. Apparently their power rangers deal locks out the possibility of other forms of showing Sentai footage to American audiences.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Apparently their power rangers deal locks out the possibility of other forms of showing Sentai footage to American audiences.

Man, gently caress Saban. I'd rather have old school sentai on Crunchyroll then Power Rangers at their current level of quality.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Dante Logos posted:

Got 1-4 and the first episode had lots of audio desync. I don't know if it reflects the quality of the final product but it doesn't help.

It says more about the quality of your computer than their release (it's bad; you should grab the 30fps versions if you insist on watching it at all).

I mean, I just watched episode 1 to test my hypothesis, and the subs are kind of iffy in places (there was a bit less than 90s in where I wondered if they knew Japanese at all), and they definitely haven't figured out yet that 60fps means you have to be super careful with line timing to avoid bleeds, but it doesn't desync on its own.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

AzraelNewtype posted:

It says more about the quality of your computer than their release (it's bad; you should grab the 30fps versions if you insist on watching it at all).

I mean, I just watched episode 1 to test my hypothesis, and the subs are kind of iffy in places (there was a bit less than 90s in where I wondered if they knew Japanese at all), and they definitely haven't figured out yet that 60fps means you have to be super careful with line timing to avoid bleeds, but it doesn't desync on its own.

It only desyncs when I put it in full screen. It works perfectly when it is windowed. Honestly, it's a teensy bit weird to me. I've been watching movies and TV shows no problem, and this is the first time in a while that it happened. So I assumed that it was an issue with the file.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WickedHate posted:

Man, gently caress Saban. I'd rather have old school sentai on Crunchyroll then Power Rangers at their current level of quality.

Two posts down from someone saying they're talking about bringing more sentai over.

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003

Literally The Worst posted:

Two posts down from someone saying they're talking about bringing more sentai over.

"Like zyuranger" probably means dvd release, not any televising/streaming service.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I was gonna come in and ask what my first toku show should be but i guess it's faiz. :unsmigghh:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

John McClane posted:

I was gonna come in and ask what my first toku show should be but i guess it's faiz. :unsmigghh:

Only if you hate yourself or want to have nostalgia for an egregious show. If you want to see a good Toshiki Inoue series watch either Jetman or Kamen Rider Agito: Both of those are legitimately good shows that also have people repeatedly falling off bridges and piers. As a more serious recommendation both Agito and Jetman are seriously good, and also try Kamen Rider Kabuto or W, and for Sentai try Shinkenger or Gokaiger.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Otherwise I love it.

Basically this. Drive so far has been really good at character and episode writing. It's not the same as Gaim was, nor is it really attempting to be Gaim, but I think it's a good show for most of the same reasons as W, IE. being fun and competently written. It doesn't have the same really solid balance of forms that W had, but I doubt we're going to be getting that in a Rider series again as long as having lots of bits and bobs still sells. However I do like that the Riders in Drive still have a measure of competence in their form changes, and actually will start in a different form or will Tire Change to a stronger form quickly. I find this quite refreshing since I still remember the episode of Wizard where Wizard gets pounded for 2 episodes and then finally uses Infinity and kills the monster effortlessly in 30 seconds.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We talk a lot about good first series. What about bad first ones?

Series that are just plain bad are excluded unless they're especially bad for a new viewer for some reason.

I'd say Gaim is a terrible entry point, since a lot of the clever subversion will go over an unfamiliar viewer's head.

I also think the original is a bad "blind" entry point because right up until it finds its stride, it's still very different from even other Showa riders.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nyarlathotep posted:

"Like zyuranger" probably means dvd release, not any televising/streaming service.

Yeah I'm cool with that.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I don't recommend Decade for anyone's first Rider.

It was the first one I'd watched all the way through (Saban's Masked Rider doesn't count, I don't care what anyone says.) and while it gives the viewer a good idea of what suits are awesome and soforth, as a series, it's such a god-awful mess, that it's a good way to sour the experience unless you're already a tokusatsu nerd to begin with.

I'd say the same for Hibiki and Faiz, you get bad ideas from these... and tentatively agreed with the original Kamen Rider, it's a little shaky for a while until it hits it stride.

What I did for my wife, I introduced her to Kamen Rider with Amazon, then Double, and she loved them both to death. Same with V3, so, if you want to introduce someone to them, find out what they like in general, then match their tastes to a Rider, there's something for everyone.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Nyarlathotep posted:

I would prefer this to having them on Crunchyroll anyway, TBH

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

We talk a lot about good first series. What about bad first ones?

Series that are just plain bad are excluded unless they're especially bad for a new viewer for some reason.

I'd say Gaim is a terrible entry point, since a lot of the clever subversion will go over an unfamiliar viewer's head.

I also think the original is a bad "blind" entry point because right up until it finds its stride, it's still very different from even other Showa riders.

Gaim is a pretty bad entry point for someone wanting to get into Rider since no other Rider really does what it does and it plays on a lot of Rider stuff. As bland as Wizard is, while it's not the best Rider series to start out with, it's not the worst (I am saying this as it is my first Rider series fwiw) since it runs through a lot of the basic setups and cliches.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Xelkelvos posted:

Gaim is a pretty bad entry point for someone wanting to get into Rider since no other Rider really does what it does and it plays on a lot of Rider stuff.

I'm not sure I'll ever like any future Rider as much as I did Gaim for this reason.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xelkelvos posted:

Gaim is a pretty bad entry point for someone wanting to get into Rider since no other Rider really does what it does and it plays on a lot of Rider stuff. As bland as Wizard is, while it's not the best Rider series to start out with, it's not the worst (I am saying this as it is my first Rider series fwiw) since it runs through a lot of the basic setups and cliches.
So do OOO and Fourze, without being nearly as painful.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Xelkelvos posted:

Wizard is a terrible place to be for anything, It shouldn't be your first rider, your middle rider or your last rider. It makes Decade look exciting and coherent, it makes Faiz's characters look well adjusted and chummy, it makes Agito make sense, it makes Shin memorable and well-loved, it makes Tendo humble and loveable, it makes OOOs 20+ middle episodes seem on-point and driving the plot.

It's the worst the WORST rider series ever put on screen and I want to punch Shunpei right in the dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Gaim was my first Rider...and maybe that's ruined other Riders for me...

• Locked thread