Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Firstborn posted:

I don't know what to call it, so let me try to explain it.

In a lot of comedies about schlubby normal dudes (a lot of stoner comedies, too), there's often this weird idolization of some c/d-list celebrity that usually isn't even from the generation of the cast. It becomes this worship where they will say "X would never do that to a bro!", or "what would X do!", and then lo and behold there's a cameo "as himself" and he gets to give sage advice or be really weird and self referential and I kind of hate it. Off the top of my head I can think of Neil Diamond in Saving Silverman, Neil Patrick Harris in Harold & Kumar, and I think there was a guy in Dude! Where's My Car?. That movie This Is The End is basically this: the movie...

Rush in "I Love You Man"

I'm pretty sure the script calls for a celebrity or band or whatever and they write in filler scenes, then see who they can actually afford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I thought for sure Micheal Myers was played by Mike Myers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

If nothing else, watch it for Alan Tudyk as Steve The Pirate :yarr:

And Rip Torn as Patches O'Houlihan himself, drunk off his rocker

Alan Tudyk is a so unimportant character that he disappears from the movie at one point and no one cares. And when he reappear it seems like his character has actually evolved a little, but the movie basically says that that is bad and regression is good. Then the movie says that you are perfect as you are before it makes fun of the main antagonist for becoming fat. I have no idea why that movie became popular.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 11:22 on Mar 15, 2015

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Alhazred posted:

I have no idea why that movie became popular.
I watched Zoolander with my son recently and then Dodgeball off the back of that, because I vaguely remembered it being of similar quality. Holy poo poo did we have lower standards back then or what? It's loving terrible and not at all helped by the fact that Vince Vaughn is a personality vacuum.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Pilchenstein posted:

I watched Zoolander with my son recently and then Dodgeball off the back of that, because I vaguely remembered it being of similar quality. Holy poo poo did we have lower standards back then or what? It's loving terrible and not at all helped by the fact that Vince Vaughn is a personality vacuum.

Zoolander was always bad, except for the gasoline fight scene.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Zoolander was always bad, except for the gasoline fight scene.
Tch, look at how very wrong you are. Dodgeball is loving terrible though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You guys must have mixed up Dodgeball with some other hosed up movie cause the one I watched was hilarious.

"You can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

You guys must have mixed up Dodgeball with some other hosed up movie cause the one I watched was hilarious.

You appear to have confused "funny" and "moronic". It's an easy mistake to make, if you're the kind of person who likes Vince Vaughn comedies.

That said, Vaughn has at least made the odd decent thing from time to time. This puts him a step above Will Ferrell, who seems to have no aspiration in life beyond being Chevy Chase's unfunny clone.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jedit posted:

Chevy Chase's unfunny clone.

but I repeat myself

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

but I repeat myself

Caddyshack, Fletch and Three Amigos! would like to have a word.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Jedit posted:

You appear to have confused "funny" and "moronic". It's an easy mistake to make, if you're the kind of person who likes Vince Vaughn comedies.

That said, Vaughn has at least made the odd decent thing from time to time. This puts him a step above Will Ferrell, who seems to have no aspiration in life beyond being Chevy Chase's unfunny clone.

Stranger Than Fiction is pretty good, and it's probably not a coincidence that Will Ferrel isn't being Will Ferrel in it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

American Dodgeball Association of America

ESPN 8: The Ocho

Non Serviam posted:

I don't know if you're joking or if you're autistic. :(

This whole thread.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Somebody hasn't seen The Other Guys.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The Prince Of Egypt is an awesome movie but the priest's song (think it was called Playing With The Big Boys Now) is just awful and out of place.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's not a movie, and it's something that comes up in the property that arguably isn't a moment, but whatever:

Warhammer 40k's fluff and backstory makes no sense when you think about it even for a second, and while 95% of my brain accepts that it's ridiculous, the 5% of my mind goes into hysterics when I read anything with the property. It bitches about how a multi-millennia war would've depleted the materials from most of the worlds long before the 'modern era', how Orcs can manufacture the poo poo they don't just re-appropriate from others, and all the other stuff I'm not going to explain because jesus wept, it's Warhammer 40k why am I overthinking this you dumb-dumb, stop it

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

MisterBibs posted:

It's not a movie, and it's something that comes up in the property that arguably isn't a moment, but whatever:

Warhammer 40k's fluff and backstory makes no sense when you think about it even for a second, and while 95% of my brain accepts that it's ridiculous, the 5% of my mind goes into hysterics when I read anything with the property. It bitches about how a multi-millennia war would've depleted the materials from most of the worlds long before the 'modern era', how Orcs can manufacture the poo poo they don't just re-appropriate from others, and all the other stuff I'm not going to explain because jesus wept, it's Warhammer 40k why am I overthinking this you dumb-dumb, stop it

Your brain is trying to send you a message that you're spending too much of it on bad poo poo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

It's gonna be weird seeing Vaughn in True Detective season 2. I hope they make him play a real shitbird.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Not to open a can of worms about irritating moments in Smallville, but the people that were talking about Arrow reminded me of the irrationally irritating moment from Smallville where Oliver Queen is stuck on a deserted island and learns to become an archer in order to survive. They show the rudimentary arrows he has made on the island and they all have loving fluted projectile points on them. Apparently, being a master archer also makes you a master flintknapper.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

swamp waste posted:

Your brain is trying to send you a message that you're spending too much of it on bad poo poo

I learned that after thinking "Hey, Ciaphus Cain was cool, the Horus Heresy ones'll be as good, right?". Now I just read the Story Stuff when I'm in a 40k kick

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Gordon Shumway posted:

flintknapper.

That you know and use this word makes me want to wedgie you, but I'm scared if I try you'll shoot a magnificently fluted arrow through my face.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pneub posted:

Cool enough to literally base an entire tv series around a guy doing that a lot.
That intro tells me all I need to know.

Hip-firing a rifle, spin-flip cocking the rifle, :smug: at the camera while reloading. Lock your doors, count your daughters, Chuck Conners is The Rifleman.

CannonFodder has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Mar 15, 2015

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

The leader of the orks is named after Margaret Thatcher, and sections of space Marine doctrine are lifted straight from 1984. You're not exactly meant to take it seriously.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The leader of the orks is named after Margaret Thatcher, and sections of space Marine doctrine are lifted straight from 1984. You're not exactly meant to take it seriously.

Unfortunately it's descended into that inevitable mire where all the people who helped develop the property have moved on in disgust or retired, so now the fluff is written by nerds who grew up on it and didn't get the joke. Abnett is one of the better writers because he realises trying to put the fluff on a human scale just doesn't work, so he writes marines as humourless killing machine caricatures and keeps the normies out of the really ludicrous stuff. I miss the old Obvious Tactics comic where the marines started the story arc eating enemies hearts and shooting cruise missiles by hand, and ended it by crashing a billion tonnes of space station into the planet to try and kill an incarnating god.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

syscall girl posted:

It's gonna be weird seeing Vaughn in True Detective season 2. I hope they make him play a real shitbird.

Thank you for once-and-for-all convincing me I don't need to watch True Detective.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ignite Memories posted:

Thank you for once-and-for-all convincing me I don't need to watch True Detective.

Irrationally irritating.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

You realize the seasons are only conceptually related right? Whole different cast, locale and I think director? Same writer? Something like that.

Season 1 owns bones.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Ignite Memories posted:

If you don't like the first season you are a bad person.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zaphod42 posted:

That scene where the T1000 is imposing as his mom and the old-school Arnold Termie is posing as the kid, both doing perfect voice matching, was the coooooooooolest loving poo poo back when T2 came out. That stuff is pretty terrifying and computers are going to be able to do it in a few years here. :ohdear:

Fun story about Judgement Day: When filming the motorcycle chase sequence, Arnold picked up the wrong shotgun once and came close to breaking 3 fingers when he attempted to flip-cock it.

More movies should have flip-cocking shotguns in them :colbert: Even if it isn't practical.

A couple of pages back, but apparently this is a common thing to happen to people who buy their first Winchester 1887 - they try to flip-cock it and end up breaking the gently caress out of their hand/fingers/wrists.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
This is hard to categorize, but the recent trend of neutering a movie or catering to Asian (Chinese or Japanese) audiences and markets drives me crazy.

For example in the new Red Dawn they changed the bad guys from Chinese to North Koreans halfway through production solely so they wouldn't turn off whatever tiny percentage of the Chinese movie audience who weren't already turned off from that piece of poo poo movie.

Or Battleship having a Japanese ship and captain for whatever reason.

Or the new Karate Kid being set in China, which actually practices kungfu.

Or half the choices in Pacific Rim in general.

I have nothing against films that might appeal to the Asian market, but the flagrant pandering drives me crazy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pook Good Mook posted:

Or the new Karate Kid being set in China, which actually practices kungfu.

Or half the choices in Pacific Rim in general.

I have nothing against films that might appeal to the Asian market, but the flagrant pandering drives me crazy.

That was definitely the case with Red Dawn and maybe Battleship, but you're reaching with Karate Kid and Pacific Rim. IIRC, they wanted it to be called Kung Fu Kid but someone high up vetoed it because of brand recognition. Complaining about Asians in Pacific Rim is just kind of racist. You know it's a homage to anime, right?

Like not everything with an Asian character in it is pandering, yo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

You sound like one of my RL acquaintances who gets upset about "pandering to feminists" when things like female Ghostbusters happen

Motivations aside, you ever think that Asian audiences and people might actually find it nice to see someone like themselves represented on the big screen? Why does seeing an Asian on screen even register in your mind as "a thing"?

edit: was missing a word

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Mar 16, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You sound like one of my RL acquaintances who gets upset about "pandering to feminists" when things female Ghostbusters happen

Motivations aside, you ever think that Asian audiences and people might actually find it nice to see someone like themselves represented on the big screen? Why does seeing an Asian on screen even register in your mind as "a thing"?

I think having things tuned towards the cultural mores and the bland regressive palette of the Chinese authorities (which I'm sure is almost as bad and confusing as the MPAA) will tend to make them suck just that much more.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

syscall girl posted:

I think having things tuned towards the cultural mores and the bland regressive palette of the Chinese authorities (which I'm sure is almost as bad and confusing as the MPAA) will tend to make them suck just that much more.

I'm not interested in the specific details of the examples used. I never watched Karate Kid or the new Red Dawn, and I'm with the other poster in that Battleship and Pacific Rim are really weird ones to notice Asian pandering in. I'm curious what other examples of Asian pandering Pook could provide.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

I'm not interested in the specific details of the examples used. I never watched Karate Kid or the new Red Dawn, and I'm with the other poster in that Battleship and Pacific Rim are really weird ones to notice Asian pandering in. I'm curious what other examples of Asian pandering Pook could provide.

This is what I'm talking about :

"Last year, the same studio altered its zombie epic World War Z, removing a potentially disparaging reference to China to please the country's sensitive censors. Chinese villains were edited out of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and Men in Black 3, while Cameron cut shots of Kate Winslet's breasts from the 3D version of Titanic for its Chinese release. "As an artist, I'm always against censorship," he told the New York Times. "[But] this is an important market for me."

China is also happy to hold its Hollywood partners to ransom. A Chinese hotel chain reportedly threatened to withdraw support from Transformers: Age of Extinction over its failure to feature its flagship property in the finished cut. Last year, a dispute over a new Chinese tax on Hollywood releases left studios in the US waiting months to see even a cent of their agreed 25 per cent of Chinese box-office earnings for some of 2013's biggest movies."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ce-9596052.html

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
e: /\/\/\ better

Yeah those were weird examples. Like they were trying to make a convincing list but got a little lazy.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
He's not pulling it out of his rear end. Pandering shamelessly to the Chinese market, especially in summer blockbusters is most certainly A Thing now and will only be more so in the future.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There are still better examples, like Looper where Old Joe was originally actually supposed to go to France but the Chinese company that was partially producing wanted China. Or how in Transformers 4 they go to Hong Kong for literally no reason other than to have pandering China moments.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, there's a big difference between "loving around with the film so it's a bigger hit in China" and "has Asians in it or is set in Asia". Accusing The Karate Kid and Pacific Rim of that just sounds like racism.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, there's a big difference between "loving around with the film so it's a bigger hit in China" and "has Asians in it or is set in Asia". Accusing The Karate Kid and Pacific Rim of that just sounds like racism.

Love of God, just because I used some bad examples (though "karate" in China is dumb but if it's because of dumb Americans then fine) doesn't make me racist. I followed up with an actual news article and as others pointed out it's a very real practice and likely to get much more noticeable and worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pook Good Mook posted:

Love of God, just because I used some bad examples (though "karate" in China is dumb but if it's because of dumb Americans then fine) doesn't make me racist.

I'm not saying your racist, I'm just agreeing those were bad examples.