Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
If you opt out, Emile Janza beats the poo poo out of you in a staged boxing match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Winning classroom gets a pizza/icecream party and if your class loses and you didnt contribute well enjoy having everyone hate you for the rest of the year.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I actually work for a company that does those Fundraisers for schools and they are way more scummy than you think they are.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Jastiger posted:

Does this poo poo exist to this level outside the South?

Content:

I feel like every commercial for every drug ever is scummy. No we're not all upper middle class attractive people. No we don't all "retreat" to our nice 4br 3.5 bath house to contemplate how sad and depressed we are while being surrounded by a happy family and plenty of private time. No we don't run out to the beach every time we take our pill and feel super happy. Its just such a fantasy that is used to push drugs that most people are in no way qualified to assess the risks of or benefit of over another.

To be fair, this is every commercial ever. Its not much different than a beer commercial or a commercial for a car, or a vacation, etc.

Also, at this point, I find alcohol ads to be pretty scummy in the same way by a big margin. The drink responsibly side of things is such bullshit and always clearly an afterthought. Like, fine, advertise but that "really cool party" bullshit is just bleh.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kellsterik posted:

If you opt out, Emile Janza beats the poo poo out of you in a staged boxing match.

motherfucker

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MotU posted:

I actually work for a company that does those Fundraisers for schools and they are way more scummy than you think they are.

So is satan a nice guy to work for?

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

MotU posted:

:justpost:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Parasol Prophet posted:

It's all completely ridiculous-- the spending, the false high stakes, but the industry's actual emotional manipulation (If you don't spend $2700 on a ring, HOW WILL SHE KNOW YOU LOVE HER?/If he doesn't spend $2700 on a ring, HOW DO YOU KNOW HE LOVES YOU?) takes the five-tier bespoke cake with handsculpted fondant flowers. I can easily see people getting sucked into the mindset that this has to be a special day where everything is perfect, because ideally in today's society you're still not supposed to ever have more than one wedding, are you? (Or, even if you DO know the statistics, just admitting the possibility is admitting that your relationship is imperfect enough to someday fail.) You get just one chance at perfection, so spare no expense to make sure that happens!

There are so many things that we get told are 'the most important day/years/time of your life', though. High school, prom (lol), college, engagement, weddings. You have to live it up NOW and do everything you want to while you still can, because otherwise you're setting yourself up for a lifetime of regret! And yeah, those are usually important times that form a lot of memories that you'll look back on later in life, but putting so much pressure on people to make sure those memories are the best because that's the only time you'll ever be happy again or something is really gross.

I've got two longtime friends that are twin sisters. The way they completely gobbled that poo poo up (and even compared their weddings to the other's) was just... ugh. There was a sketch comedy show in the mid-90s called Mr. Show, and I remember there was one sketch with an advertising agency and they kept stressing 'More money=better than'.

They freaked out over the goofiest, tiniest poo poo. I didn't get my hair done (short enough haircut that there was really nothing to be done about it) and did my own make-up for one: 'LPS you're going to ruin my wedding!' 'You're stuck overnight in the airport?! You *can't* miss the rehearsal dinner! You *promised*!'

Mother of the bride refused to pay for one's $450 Manolo Blahnik shoes: 'Mom you're a bitch and you're ruining my special day!'

Bridesmaid said one wedding dress was cute: 'I don't want to be *cute*! I want to be *stunning*!'

Everything that wasn't pin-straight and absolutely on the nose *perfection* caused them a meltdown. They also got into a screaming match in the bridal suite before the second one's wedding, because the one to get married first *refused* to be introduced as the 'matron' of honor. Their parents and I did 'thank God it's over' shots at the open bar at the end of that one...

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Endbringer posted:

Why the poo poo would I pay twice as much for dog food because it has vegetables in it? If you're that concerned with giving your buddy some, throw a few carrots down when you're chopping them up for dinner for Christ's sake.

The dog food I buy now markets itself as gluten free, because apparently the hypochondriacs who don't have that one rare disease have convinced themselves that even their dogs can suffer from it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boywhiz88 posted:

To be fair, this is every commercial ever. Its not much different than a beer commercial or a commercial for a car, or a vacation, etc.

Also, at this point, I find alcohol ads to be pretty scummy in the same way by a big margin. The drink responsibly side of things is such bullshit and always clearly an afterthought. Like, fine, advertise but that "really cool party" bullshit is just bleh.

Good point, especially on the alcohol ads.

Though, I find the drug ads worse because we kind of "get" it with beer. We know its a drink and that it isn't necessarily good for us. We don't have scientists in lab coats or academics touting studies on how their beer is better than the other beer. Drug ads are worse because they do exactly that. They tell consumers that they want a specific health product that they know next to nothing about, and then on the back end the drug reps are stroking the doctors so hard to push their product.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

It's kind of scummy that companies like Hilding Anders can make a mattress and then give the exact same mattress (sometimes with extremely minor changes, like the color of the casing) 5 different names, for 5 different chains. They make it almost impossible for the average person to compare the prices of this specific mattress.

The color of the casing is literally the only thing they change. Which will be covered by a sheet anyways.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ChaosArgate posted:

How the gently caress was that not illegal? :stare:

It was how schools paid for stuff like field trips and, you know, books or computers. Sports equipment. That sort of thing. You know, all the things that a school basically needs to function properly. American schools are often woefully underfunded so you have to fundraise like crazy to do anything at all and boy howdy wouldn't you know it, there are all these companies out there happy to sell stupid overpriced poo poo using guilt to your broke neighbors provide you with ways to raise funds. It's legal because technically speaking no children or their parents are required to go on these trips or sell the poo poo but God help you if you're the only kid that didn't go on the field trip. If you didn't go that also meant staying home and parents aren't too keen on leaving small children at home by themselves.

The stuff was always hideously over priced a absolute bottom quality but a lot of it was also marketed directly at the children because the companies knew a lot of it would be bought for the children themselves or sold to family or whatever. There was that rider of "hey you want little Jimmy to be able to see a museum before he can afford it himself at 37, right?" It would be simpler, easier, and cheaper to just have the parents pay for the trips or just, you know, give schools tax money to do this poo poo but this is America and gently caress that poo poo.

Yes it's scummy as hell and yes it should be illegal but it's the only way certain school activities happen.

Parasol Prophet posted:

It's all completely ridiculous-- the spending, the false high stakes, but the industry's actual emotional manipulation (If you don't spend $2700 on a ring, HOW WILL SHE KNOW YOU LOVE HER?/If he doesn't spend $2700 on a ring, HOW DO YOU KNOW HE LOVES YOU?) takes the five-tier bespoke cake with handsculpted fondant flowers. I can easily see people getting sucked into the mindset that this has to be a special day where everything is perfect, because ideally in today's society you're still not supposed to ever have more than one wedding, are you? (Or, even if you DO know the statistics, just admitting the possibility is admitting that your relationship is imperfect enough to someday fail.) You get just one chance at perfection, so spare no expense to make sure that happens!

There are so many things that we get told are 'the most important day/years/time of your life', though. High school, prom (lol), college, engagement, weddings. You have to live it up NOW and do everything you want to while you still can, because otherwise you're setting yourself up for a lifetime of regret! And yeah, those are usually important times that form a lot of memories that you'll look back on later in life, but putting so much pressure on people to make sure those memories are the best because that's the only time you'll ever be happy again or something is really gross.

And then when everybody comes down with serious emotional issues because they feel like nothing in their life is ever good enough Big Pharma will invent a new drug to force you to be happy. Everybody wins!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

JacquelineDempsey posted:

(I have no idea what Weepuls are).

Weepuls were little mascots made of a pompom, with googly eyes, little cardboard feet/limbs, and usually some sort of pipe-cleaner stuck on there too. They had, like, a different Weepul for every day of the week or tier of magazines sold or something like that and didn't stop telling us, the elementary students, about how COOL and EXCLUSIVE all the Weepuls were and how you should collect them all and be better than all the plebs who only had one or two Weepuls, heh, idiots.

I can't remember if the Weepuls were "free prizes" or if you had to buy them with the tickets you earned selling the magazines though. I just remember they were serious business.

source: attending a baptist school apparently solely funded by student labor

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The dog food I buy now markets itself as gluten free, because apparently the hypochondriacs who don't have that one rare disease have convinced themselves that even their dogs can suffer from it.

Some dogs get hosed up ear discharge from gluten; it's not to the extreme of celiac disease, but it's a real thing.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It was how schools paid for stuff like field trips and, you know, books or computers. Sports equipment. That sort of thing. You know, all the things that a school basically needs to function properly. American schools are often woefully underfunded so you have to fundraise like crazy to do anything at all and boy howdy wouldn't you know it, there are all these companies out there happy to sell stupid overpriced poo poo using guilt to your broke neighbors provide you with ways to raise funds. It's legal because technically speaking no children or their parents are required to go on these trips or sell the poo poo but God help you if you're the only kid that didn't go on the field trip. If you didn't go that also meant staying home and parents aren't too keen on leaving small children at home by themselves.

The stuff was always hideously over priced a absolute bottom quality but a lot of it was also marketed directly at the children because the companies knew a lot of it would be bought for the children themselves or sold to family or whatever. There was that rider of "hey you want little Jimmy to be able to see a museum before he can afford it himself at 37, right?" It would be simpler, easier, and cheaper to just have the parents pay for the trips or just, you know, give schools tax money to do this poo poo but this is America and gently caress that poo poo.

Yes it's scummy as hell and yes it should be illegal but it's the only way certain school activities happen.

And then when everybody comes down with serious emotional issues because they feel like nothing in their life is ever good enough Big Pharma will invent a new drug to force you to be happy. Everybody wins!

Yeah but those stupid things give like 10% of the proceeds to the school if the school is lucky. Seems like holding bake sales or other fund raisers would be less scummy and more to the point money wise.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...using guilt to your broke neighbors[/s] provide you with ways to raise funds. It's legal because technically speaking no children or their parents are required to go on these trips or sell the poo poo but God help you if you're the only kid that didn't go on the field trip. If you didn't go that also meant staying home and parents aren't too keen on leaving small children at home by themselves.

Bisumth posted:

Winning classroom gets a pizza/icecream party and if your class loses and you didnt contribute well enjoy having everyone hate you for the rest of the year.

etc posted:

I would like to retract my earlier statement about there being no negative repercussions, because this is true. Peer pressure was rampant, which is absolutely ridiculous in hindsight.

Gridlocked posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but: non-stick frying pans, the ones sold on daytime TV.

Of course the cheese doesn't stick when you put it in the pan with the gas on full you asshat, it's nasty oily cheese and is therefore self lubricating as long as the drat pan is hot.

Non-stick pans are pretty handy, but the target demographic of the pans I think you're talking about are those people who cook something then let the pan sit for days without washing it.

And,

MotU posted:

There is no better thread to post some stories in than this.

Grraarrgghh posted:

:justpost:

Edit:

Wedding talk

LadyPictureShow posted:

I've got two longtime friends that are twin sisters. The way they completely gobbled that poo poo up (and even compared their weddings to the other's) was just... ugh. There was a sketch comedy show in the mid-90s called Mr. Show, and I remember there was one sketch with an advertising agency and they kept stressing 'More money=better than'.

They freaked out over the goofiest, tiniest poo poo. I didn't get my hair done (short enough haircut that there was really nothing to be done about it) and did my own make-up for one: 'LPS you're going to ruin my wedding!' 'You're stuck overnight in the airport?! You *can't* miss the rehearsal dinner! You *promised*!'

Mother of the bride refused to pay for one's $450 Manolo Blahnik shoes: 'Mom you're a bitch and you're ruining my special day!'

Bridesmaid said one wedding dress was cute: 'I don't want to be *cute*! I want to be *stunning*!'

Everything that wasn't pin-straight and absolutely on the nose *perfection* caused them a meltdown. They also got into a screaming match in the bridal suite before the second one's wedding, because the one to get married first *refused* to be introduced as the 'matron' of honor. Their parents and I did 'thank God it's over' shots at the open bar at the end of that one...

loving coincidence, I knew twin sisters who were exactly like this. Both stressed far too much over their "perfect" weddings, did not want to be "cute," got into a screaming match AT the second one's wedding.
And we did shots at the end.

By the way, the first one's husband brought home an 18 year old girl and was caught screwing her by his wife. Perfect marriage indeed.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Mar 16, 2015

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Weepuls were little mascots made of a pompom, with googly eyes, little cardboard feet/limbs, and usually some sort of pipe-cleaner stuck on there too. They had, like, a different Weepul for every day of the week or tier of magazines sold or something like that and didn't stop telling us, the elementary students, about how COOL and EXCLUSIVE all the Weepuls were and how you should collect them all and be better than all the plebs who only had one or two Weepuls, heh, idiots.

I can't remember if the Weepuls were "free prizes" or if you had to buy them with the tickets you earned selling the magazines though. I just remember they were serious business.

Jesus gently caress. Taking a quick Google at these cheap fluffs of garbage I certainly goddamn hope they were free.

:wtc:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There's weird poo poo for pets but it is objectively better to give them food made from meat instead of corn and by-products. After that it's just marketing though.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Grraarrgghh posted:

Jesus gently caress. Taking a quick Google at these cheap fluffs of garbage I certainly goddamn hope they were free.

When I was little my mom tried to supplement the family income by making & selling crafts (she's also trained to be a professional seamstress but in our rural area there wasn't enough of a market for those skills or something, she only got a couple of commissions a year). Mom's stuff was Pennsylvania Dutch-style folk art bullshit that took actual skill - her big sellers were hand-carved wooden checkers sets and soft-sculpture cows - but every show I helped her at (late '80s, early '90s) there would also be at least three tables of people selling these motherfucking pompoms for $3-5 apiece. Of course nowadays if you can even find a craft fair to check out it'll be 90% people selling candles. Why is candle-making the hot poo poo these days, is there a company marketing MAKE CANDLES USING OUR PRE-SCENTED WAX AND MAKE MONEY AT HOME? (They do all seem to be using the exact same scents...)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Since I went to school in Ohio, we have the levy system, which means every 4-5 years they have a vote on whether or not the school gets money. So what happens is when they don't pass they hike up the prices of other stuff, take away buses and field trips, and in the case of my school bring in those people to get us to sell stuff. Of course that gets people complaining, but when the levy comes to vote they all seem to forget.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

InediblePenguin posted:

When I was little my mom tried to supplement the family income by making & selling crafts (she's also trained to be a professional seamstress but in our rural area there wasn't enough of a market for those skills or something, she only got a couple of commissions a year). Mom's stuff was Pennsylvania Dutch-style folk art bullshit that took actual skill - her big sellers were hand-carved wooden checkers sets and soft-sculpture cows - but every show I helped her at (late '80s, early '90s) there would also be at least three tables of people selling these motherfucking pompoms for $3-5 apiece. Of course nowadays if you can even find a craft fair to check out it'll be 90% people selling candles. Why is candle-making the hot poo poo these days, is there a company marketing MAKE CANDLES USING OUR PRE-SCENTED WAX AND MAKE MONEY AT HOME? (They do all seem to be using the exact same scents...)

Candles seem easy and you see places like Yankee Candle company and think "hey, if they make so much money, why can't I make a little doing such an easy thing". But you don't have the marketing team of Yankee Candle, you just make your sloppy home-crafted nonsense that half the other craft fair booth holders also aren't selling. Another big one is homemade bath products, or junk jewelry. Basically the thing about these products is that if someone cares enough to want the hand-made stuff, they're either going after the high end versions, or they're just as likely to buy the supplies from the local craft store (and man are those things huge these days) and make it just as well themselves. I dated a girl for a couple years who knitted and she would sometimes share a tent with her home-bath product friend, just to hopefully maybe earn a few quick bucks on something she would do to keep her hands busy while she watched tv or whatever. She has an etsy storefront, but she'll never compete with like, the people who clearly commit and will show up with like, 200 products to just a simple street fair. The mindset there is that everyone thinks they can strike it big with minimal effort.

To shift gears back to the school fundraisers, I too graduated in 99, and we'd do a different thing like, every other year or so. They would SO shame you. I was barely good enough at passing these things off on adults that I could look like I was actually trying, but my numbers were always low. And you better believe they had charts set up in the classroom to tell everyone exactly who were the ones not helping the class win that pizza party or whatever. I lived in a small town too, where you either lived in a farm area, or in a suburban area where you were spitting distance from someone else whose child went to that school. It's hard enough working up the courage to try to guilt strangers into buying your homemade pizza kit, it's even worse for them to then tell you "Oh no, I already bought from X kid that beat you here." Thank goodness my mom worked out of town and would just bring stuff with her to get the coworkers to buy from me, or else I don't think I'd ever have sold outside my immediate family.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Alright, I work for a company that does Fundraising for schools in various forms. We cover a bunch of different types, from chocolate bars to these stupid loving tote bags that small like death, to holiday catalogues, to entertainment coupon books (which is a giant book of coupons for local business/restaurant chains/amusement parks for those unaware). We also do a different kind of fundraiser which is like an in-school shop for kids to buy holiday gifts for their families and I'll cover that, too.

The basic premise is, for those unaware, is the school makes a deal with us in that we will supply them the catalogues or whatever as well as incentive prizes for students that are selling. They sign a contract to give us whatever money they collect for it and they keep a percentage. The issue is that these percentages are usually pretty drat small AND the school incurs a penalty if they sell under the projected target of their contract. For example, the school will sign a contract saying they will keep 20% of the sales and they estimate to sell 3000$ worth or whatever. If they don't meet that target they set for themselves, well now you're only keeping 18% of your profit and you're paying a 75$ fee for us delivering your stuff to you.

The incentive prizes always have some sort of extravagant top prize like a Beach Cruiser bike or a PS4 or something but in order to get that the student has to sell something ridiculous like 1500$ worth of poo poo. In the 5 or 6 years I have been doing this, I've seen a single video game system get awarded, and that was a PS4 last year. We don't even keep the things in stock at all because no one ever sells that much. The lone Beach Cruiser we have I use to ride around the warehouse. The rest of the incentive prizes are utter garbage. They are stupid things like a battery powered hand held fan for the lowest tier or things like a snake desk light for selling something like 400$ worth of stuff. We buy them from other companies on close-out, so we pay maybe 3 cents to a dollar per item. We also have HD TVs as prizes for like the next to top tier but they are so off brand that I couldn't even find one on Google right now. I've actually seen them go out decently often, which depresses me because we could at least buy Walmart TVs like Vizios or whatever, the offbrand TVs cost just about as much.

We offer things like Magic Bullets and Keurigs as something called a "Sign On" bonus that whoever signs up for it gets to keep, so when you see these kinds of school fundraisers happen it is because a PTA mom wanted a new coffee machine essentially.

I have seen sales happen in large schools that set a large goal for themselves because it is their first year doing it and think that more students = tons of sales but end up completely missing their contract amount and selling nothing and making less than 30$ on the whole deal. It is ridiculous.

The other thing I mentioned is a School Holiday Sale, where a school will set up a shop with a bunch of bullshit crap for students to go in and buy things for their family around Christmas time. It is a similar concept with the contracts, set a goal, keep a percentage. However, I have seen some schools make way way more money off this, like large schools I have seen make 3-5,000$ which isn't bad for a 3 day fundraiser. That is not the norm though, the norm is still pittances. Everything is pisspoor quality, though. It is all the cheapest produced Chinese junk you can think of. I spend at least 2 weeks after the busy season mailing out replacements for people that have their poo poo break as soon as they take it out of the box. Also, everything is sold at a ridiculous markup. We buy things for about 10-50 cents each, sell it to the school for about 1.25$, then they want to turn a profit on it for themselves so they sell it for 2.00$, then when their sale is over, they keep about 60 cents off of every sale they make of it. It is a terribly scummy practice.

The one thing that I managed to do for the Holiday School Sales to somewhat save my soul was get the owner to implement a system of giving free "Money Tickets" to schools in low income areas, so that kids on assistance programs get 5-10$ to shop with for free so they don't feel left out of it because of their financial situation.

If anyone has any questions, I will happily answer them, I just don't think this warrants an Ask/Tell because there isn't much more to it. I am just bad at thinking up what people want to hear about it since I am numb to it by now.

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(
I'm not sure if it fits here, but it's honestly pretty scummy when a game is specifically designed to bait stupidly popular Youtube channels into playing and advertising them. Goat Simulator, I am Bread, etc.
It's creating the same kind of problem which caused the video game industry to crash back in the early 80s.

Aphtonites has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Mar 16, 2015

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Aphtonites posted:

I'm not sure if it fits here, but it's honestly pretty scummy when a game is specifically designed to bait stupidly popular Youtube channels into playing and advertising them. Goat Simulator, I am Bread, etc.
It's creating the same kind of problem which caused the video game industry to crash back in the early 80s.

Those aren't even the worst offenders, the bottom of the barrel are those Slenderman clones where you slowly trudge around a poorly-textured Unity level to collect seven McGuffins while avoiding the ghost of a child molester.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MotU posted:

Alright, I work for a company that does Fundraising for schools in various forms. We cover a bunch of different types, from chocolate bars to these stupid loving tote bags that small like death, to holiday catalogues, to entertainment coupon books (which is a giant book of coupons for local business/restaurant chains/amusement parks for those unaware). We also do a different kind of fundraiser which is like an in-school shop for kids to buy holiday gifts for their families and I'll cover that, too.

The basic premise is, for those unaware, is the school makes a deal with us in that we will supply them the catalogues or whatever as well as incentive prizes for students that are selling. They sign a contract to give us whatever money they collect for it and they keep a percentage. The issue is that these percentages are usually pretty drat small AND the school incurs a penalty if they sell under the projected target of their contract. For example, the school will sign a contract saying they will keep 20% of the sales and they estimate to sell 3000$ worth or whatever. If they don't meet that target they set for themselves, well now you're only keeping 18% of your profit and you're paying a 75$ fee for us delivering your stuff to you.

The incentive prizes always have some sort of extravagant top prize like a Beach Cruiser bike or a PS4 or something but in order to get that the student has to sell something ridiculous like 1500$ worth of poo poo. In the 5 or 6 years I have been doing this, I've seen a single video game system get awarded, and that was a PS4 last year. We don't even keep the things in stock at all because no one ever sells that much. The lone Beach Cruiser we have I use to ride around the warehouse. The rest of the incentive prizes are utter garbage. They are stupid things like a battery powered hand held fan for the lowest tier or things like a snake desk light for selling something like 400$ worth of stuff. We buy them from other companies on close-out, so we pay maybe 3 cents to a dollar per item. We also have HD TVs as prizes for like the next to top tier but they are so off brand that I couldn't even find one on Google right now. I've actually seen them go out decently often, which depresses me because we could at least buy Walmart TVs like Vizios or whatever, the offbrand TVs cost just about as much.

We offer things like Magic Bullets and Keurigs as something called a "Sign On" bonus that whoever signs up for it gets to keep, so when you see these kinds of school fundraisers happen it is because a PTA mom wanted a new coffee machine essentially.

I have seen sales happen in large schools that set a large goal for themselves because it is their first year doing it and think that more students = tons of sales but end up completely missing their contract amount and selling nothing and making less than 30$ on the whole deal. It is ridiculous.

The other thing I mentioned is a School Holiday Sale, where a school will set up a shop with a bunch of bullshit crap for students to go in and buy things for their family around Christmas time. It is a similar concept with the contracts, set a goal, keep a percentage. However, I have seen some schools make way way more money off this, like large schools I have seen make 3-5,000$ which isn't bad for a 3 day fundraiser. That is not the norm though, the norm is still pittances. Everything is pisspoor quality, though. It is all the cheapest produced Chinese junk you can think of. I spend at least 2 weeks after the busy season mailing out replacements for people that have their poo poo break as soon as they take it out of the box. Also, everything is sold at a ridiculous markup. We buy things for about 10-50 cents each, sell it to the school for about 1.25$, then they want to turn a profit on it for themselves so they sell it for 2.00$, then when their sale is over, they keep about 60 cents off of every sale they make of it. It is a terribly scummy practice.

The one thing that I managed to do for the Holiday School Sales to somewhat save my soul was get the owner to implement a system of giving free "Money Tickets" to schools in low income areas, so that kids on assistance programs get 5-10$ to shop with for free so they don't feel left out of it because of their financial situation.

If anyone has any questions, I will happily answer them, I just don't think this warrants an Ask/Tell because there isn't much more to it. I am just bad at thinking up what people want to hear about it since I am numb to it by now.

I dunno about anyone else, but this is really interesting and I think you should post as much as you can about it. I know its PYF and not A/T but...I guess if other goons are interested maybe you should write up some more stuff.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

MotU posted:

How many of these fundraisers do you guys average per month? Have you ever gone into the schools yourself or do you just work in the warehouse? How big of a demographic do you cover (all of a single state? just a city's metropolitan area?)

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

MotU posted:

So like, do I need a child currently in school in order to qualify for one of these Keurigs? I want a new drat coffee maker.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MotU posted:

Entertainment books always seemed like a pretty sensible fundraiser. I get one every year, and usually end up with a net gain after using three coupons.

How do sales on those those break down?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

At my last job my manager was this spinster with a bunch of dogs, 3 golden retrievers and a great dane. She made food for the dogs, it was oatmeal, milk, and beef hearts. I thought it was kinda weird but i guess she knew what she was doing because her dogs seemed healthy(and huge aside). i looked it up and what do you know:

wikipedia posted:

In England, care to give dogs particular food dates at least from the late eighteenth century, when The Sportsman's dictionary (1785) described the best diet for a dog's health in its article "Dog":

A dog is of a very hot nature: he should therefore never be without clean water by him, that he may drink when he is thirsty. In regard to their food, carrion is by no means proper for them. It must hurt their sense of smelling, on which the excellence of these dogs greatly depends.

Barley meal, the dross of wheatflour, or both mixed together, with broth or skim'd milk, is very proper food. For change, a small quantity of greaves from which the tallow is pressed by the chandlers, mixed with their flour ; or sheep's feet well baked or boiled, are a very good diet, and when you indulge them with flesh it should always be boiled. In the season of hunting your dogs, it is proper to feed them in the evening before, and give them nothing in the morning you take them out, except a little milk. If you stop for your own refreshment in the day, you should also refresh your dogs with a little milk and bread

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Grraarrgghh posted:

Man, Weepuls were the poo poo when I was in first grade.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Tiggum posted:

People are insane about dog food. You can buy special chocolate and beer for dogs. Because people apparently think that their dog must want the same things they do, but obviously you can't actually feed your dog chocolate or beer, so instead you buy these fake versions for them. You know what food your dog likes? Pretty much anything, especially if it's a bit of whatever you're eating. They don't know what chocolate or beer are, and they're not going to think they're eating or drinking the same thing you are when they're clearly not.
I think the dog and cat breakfasts are the goofiest goddamn thing.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Mouse Dresser posted:

How many of these fundraisers do you guys average per month? Have you ever gone into the schools yourself or do you just work in the warehouse? How big of a demographic do you cover (all of a single state? just a city's metropolitan area?)

Outside of chocolate fundraisers, most of these sales happen at the same time. The holiday catalogues all go out in October usually so that if items are ordered they get there by Christmas. Things like beach bags/tote bags/cooler bag catalogues all happen in March or there about. Chocolate sales are the fundraisers schools go with if they suddenly need money for a trip or something 'right now'. We do a decent amount of these, maybe 150-200 per school year but not all of them are large either, some just buy like 10 boxes for a sports team or whatever. These are the least scummy fundraisers I feel because the chocolate is decent and the return for schools is higher. They don't sign any contract, they just buy the chocolate outright and in almost every case they sell out of it. I think the usual cost per case is 25-30$ and if they sell it they end up with about 45-60$. People organizing the chocolate fundraisers seem to be more sensible, too, and don't expect every student to sell 2 boxes or some poo poo. I've never seen a customer complain about money raised through chocolate, though other ones we get at least a dozen schools bitching per year

I don't really know a 'per month' figure but I can tell you we work with about 750-900 schools between all types of fundraisers, and some schools have done more than one in a year and about 75% of these are returning customers. We are constantly getting new schools, we've always had growth. The area we service includes all of the Northeast US, as well as some areas going all the way out to Chicago and some down to DC.

I've been to the schools as well as meeting with people to sign the contracts. I've handled the contract signings, some delivery stuff, and for the few schools that pay us for set up of their Holiday Sales I am the one who does that. There are also sometimes introduction shows for new large schools that we put on where we go to schools and tell the kids to SELL SELL SELL but don't go door to door! Guilt your family instead! These shows occasionally have a mascot in a suit. I am this mascot. Note, the school is not charged or anything for these shows so if they opt to have one it don't hurt them in any way. They're still lovely though, just based on getting kids' hopes up that they'll get a decent prize.

Tunicate posted:

Entertainment books always seemed like a pretty sensible fundraiser. I get one every year, and usually end up with a net gain after using three coupons.

How do sales on those those break down?

Entertainment books own and you do get a great return if you use like half a dozen coupons. The one problem is most of the coupons honestly suck or are weird as hell, like the one we had this year had a coupon for PSYCHIC READINGS DISCOUNTS. The one cool thing they added for Entertainment Books, is that at the front of the book is a download code you can use to register an app on your phone with and it is basically an Entertainment Book on your phone but instead of local it works nationwide. I don't know if it has a ton of reduced coupons or anything, but I used a book's code from like 4 states away and then ate Endless Apps at Fridays for free. But yeah, if you can find a few coupons you like, especially for one that have like furniture store coupons you can make a good gain on i. The one we had from 2 years ago had a Sleepy's coupon in it that had something like 40% off any mattress but it didn't have any terms and conditions so you could use it on already discounted stuff or the mattresses that usually were never on sale. Was great.

However, oddly enough, Entertainment Books are probably our worst sales. I don't know if it is because of like a stigma around coupons as we deal with a ton of private or upper middle class schools and coupons are seen as 'cheap', but we get like 75% of them returned to us it seems. We don't do the sale in lower income areas because the rate of sale there is even worse. There have been schools that have not sold a single book. After the sales went down with these, we stopped doing minimal sales contracts because it just wasn't tenable from a business standpoint; if it had that kind of stipulation we'd get no one buying them at all.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Does this poo poo exist to this level outside the South?
Most of the country doesn't literally reenact slavery on cotton plantations, but working for anywhere from 25 cents to 2 dollars per hour and being locked up in isolation if you refuse is nationwide.

Oh, since this is the scummy advertising technique thread, take a look at this page http://www.unicor.gov/Reshoring.aspx

quote:

American Manufacturing. Integrity at Its Best
With modern factories, nationwide, a proven history and a diverse range of production capabilities and expertise, we represent American manufacturing you can count on to proudly support the 'Made in USA' label.
U. S. Locations
U. S. Labor Force
U. S. Manufacturing Excellence

Together We're Stronger
Tired of offshore supply chains... logistics challenges and hidden charges... climbing transportation, freight, and fuel costs... communications challenges? We can help! Reshore with us and bring jobs back home!
Our Door is Wide Open!

The Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act of 2012 opens the door for:
Private Sector Collaboration
Keeping America Working
Growing the U. S. Economy
Helping Transform Thousands of Lives Along the Way to
Achieving Reentry Success!

Our reshoring initiative includes commercial products and services that are currently, or would otherwise be, manufactured or assembled outside the United States. Every effort is made to ensure that our inmate work force does not displace valued workers in the community, and actually complements the U. S. private sector workforce.

Tangible Results

Our "American Made" label means we comply with U. S. best practices, environmental mandates, industrial performance standards, OSHA requirements, and the most rigorous military specifications, as required.
Domestic manufacturing provides other benefits as well, including the agility to mobilize and collaborate without long transoceanic flights, time zone differences, as well as cultural and communication challenges.
Learn more! Request a copy of Bringing Jobs Home: Investing in America or contact us to discuss your opportunities.
Go America! Made with pride in the USA!

Salary ranges from 53 cents to $1.15 an hour! Work is mandatory if you are physically able and not a security risk!

UNICOR is a nicer name for Federal Prison Industries. They produce a wide range of products and government agencies other than the Department of Defense are prohibited by law from buying from private sector competitors unless UNICOR authorizes it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

If you'd like a side order of schadenfreude with your scum, enjoy this Dragons' Den segment wherein one of these predatory fundraising companies gets taken down a notch:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Co3m0-gNjd4&t=8m25s

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

All the goons who had these assemblies and fundraising schticks in school:

Was there some kind of penalty if you didn't sell anything? Like if you said "gently caress this, I don't care about prizes, I'm not going door to door selling crap" --- were there consequences for that? Just curious.

We were told there would be, but it remained a non=specific, scary threat from the nuns. So in the 7th and 8th grade, I had to hustle crappy stationery and wrapping paper (this was the late '70s), and then when I moved up to the high school, some genius at the school thought, 'Why make the kids sell stuff like overpriced, cheap packets of paper? Let's make them sell.....ORANGES.

It was the maddest thing ever -- we took orders for people to buy these small pallets of oranges, nothing special, gift boxes that held four, 9, or 16 (!) of the fuckers). Just ordinary oranges like you can get at the frigging supermarket. My mother insisted I participate to show school spirit. But then when the loving orders came in, my parents refused to pick me up from school so that I could haul the damned things home for delivery.Yeah, what finally broke my school spirit was trying to carry home from school several of these loving pallet things on a super crowded schoolbus that slowed down maybe long enough for me to jump on, then had to take off again as the busdriver made us wait for her at a busy traffic light (instead of pulling around to the side street next to the school).

In subsequent years, when we got herded into the school auditorium and realised it was for yet another fund raiser, my pals and I would file into the auidtorium and in the confusion of everyone taking their seat, slide out the side door and hide in the little foyer behind the auditorium. I told my mom they'd stopped with the fundraisers when she asked. None of us every got into trouble for not being on the inventory list -- it was a pretty small school, maybe 200 students tops, but no one said anything.

Who in the gently caress gets a bunch of kids to sell oranges?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The stupidest thing is that the most stable, long-lasting, happy marriages I've seen have been the ones where the couple went "meh, bump that noise" and had a simpler thing. When my aunt got married it was on the farm she had with the guy and they wore freaking blue jeans. They got married by a friend who was a preacher at the time and spent like $200 total on it. Then they had a big potluck dinner afterwards. They're probably the happiest couple I have ever seen. On the other side of it expensive weddings tend to lead to marriages with a high failure rate especially if debt gets involved. Why yes, that's a fantastic way to start a marriage, arguing over who should make payments on the wedding.

My mom and stepdad did the same thing - had a small ceremony in the back yard of our house in upstate NY, he wore a nice shirt/slacks/tie and she had a simple, semi-formal dress. They've been together 27 years now and are happy as clams, and ended up using the extra money they had to take a nice trip to South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore and camp out in a nice cabin for a week :)

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Ms Boods posted:

Who in the gently caress gets a bunch of kids to sell oranges?

The band at my old high school sells Vidalia onions every year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Most of the country doesn't literally reenact slavery on cotton plantations, but working for anywhere from 25 cents to 2 dollars per hour and being locked up in isolation if you refuse is nationwide.

Oh, since this is the scummy advertising technique thread, take a look at this page http://www.unicor.gov/Reshoring.aspx

Go America! Made with pride in the USA!

Salary ranges from 53 cents to $1.15 an hour! Work is mandatory if you are physically able and not a security risk!

UNICOR is a nicer name for Federal Prison Industries. They produce a wide range of products and government agencies other than the Department of Defense are prohibited by law from buying from private sector competitors unless UNICOR authorizes it.

Another scummy "Made in the USA" label trick is manufacturing somewhere like Guam or American Samoa where the labor laws aren't as strict.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Another scummy "Made in the USA" label trick is manufacturing somewhere like Guam or American Samoa where the labor laws aren't as strict.
Or the Northern Mariana Islands, which were exempt from US labor laws until 2007 but still a US territory, which earned them notoriety for sweatshops producing clothes for Gap and Nike. Fortunately they were forced to bring step their minimum wage up to the US federal minimum over the past 8 years, which isn't great but is a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

Or the Northern Mariana Islands, which were exempt from US labor laws until 2007 but still a US territory, which earned them notoriety for sweatshops producing clothes for Gap and Nike. Fortunately they were forced to bring step their minimum wage up to the US federal minimum over the past 8 years, which isn't great but is a good start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eln3oANsXzQ

he lost

• Locked thread