Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Adding the Man out of Time element to Cap's early stories was a great move and a great way to keep a dated ww2 character relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep it was revealed in Avengers 4, and ignored all the issues with Cap and Bucky that had them fighting commies. However, they were able to make gold with it.

They did actually go back and explain that the Commie killing Cap was some sort of double or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

David D. Davidson posted:

They did actually go back and explain that the Commie killing Cap was some sort of double or something.

Yep and it was a great storyline. It's also how we got Nomad

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

bobkatt013 posted:

And USAgent? Or is that a different guy?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Different guy. John Walker was recruited to be a replacement Cap well after Rogers was thawed out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, that was a knightfall type story during the interminable Gruenwald run, which coincidentally ruined Nomad as a character.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

bobkatt013 posted:

And it led to one of the best What If's ever.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, that was a knightfall type story during the interminable Gruenwald run, which coincidentally ruined Nomad as a character.

uh, Nomad being a dude with a huge 'stache that rides a harley and wants to punch kill a miami mobster whose super power is mega obesity is awesome, thanks.

Seriously though, as much as that part stunk, the John Walker storyline was great.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Seldom Posts posted:

uh, Nomad being a dude with a huge 'stache that rides a harley and wants to punch kill a miami mobster whose super power is mega obesity is awesome, thanks.

Ulysses X. Lugman, now that's a good name for a bad guy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dan Didio posted:

And it led to one of the best What If's ever.

I'd consider it THE best What If ever.

(Note: I ranked it at #2 when I did that list article series, but that was 8 years ago and my tastes have slightly changed)

But for real, "GET UP SO I CAN KNOCK YOU DOWN!" gets me pumped no matter how many times I read it. Such an amazing fight scene.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

prefect posted:

Ulysses X. Lugman, now that's a good name for a bad guy.

Was this ghost written by Garth Ennis?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Gavok posted:

Which one you talking about? (And maybe some panels from it?)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

FredMSloniker posted:

Which one you talking about? (And maybe some panels from it?)

What If Captain America Were Revived Today? (What If v.1 #44)

So back in the day, they retconned the Captain America from the 1950's as being a fake. Two dudes made themselves look like Cap and Bucky, took some faulty Super Soldier Serum and went to town on the commies. They went insane because of the serum, were put on ice, and were thawed out years later, where they ended up fighting the real Cap and Falcon. That's regular continuity.

In the What If, the Avengers vs. Namor adventure doesn't lead to Cap's block of ice being freed. Therefore, Captain America isn't discovered by the Avengers and soon after, the Avengers break up. That means that when Commie-Smasher Cap and Fake Bucky are thawed out, there's no competition and the public accepts them as the real deals. The Secret Empire gets their claws into them and poo poo gets bad. Black people are tossed into camps and Cap goes on TV to spin it as a really good thing.

The real Cap eventually does thaw out and he's found by a submarine of revolutionaries, who at first try to kill him before cooler heads prevail. After getting an idea of what's been going on, he is SUPER PISSED. The rebel army includes Nick Fury, Sam Wilson, Spider-Man and even Jameson helps them out. That leads to them crashing a big press conference.

Hell loving Yeah.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo. That is one of the best Captain America moments ever.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I dunno, completely devoid of context that read like two men who both absolutely believed they were right and the other was evil deciding to fight, and the stronger one won and so he was right

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
You really see no difference between what each of them is saying, and that one of them just happens to be stronger? That's really what your takeaway here is?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bad cap literally only calls good cap a commie, its not exactly subtle with what it is trying to accomplish.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

I dunno, completely devoid of context that read like two men who both absolutely believed they were right and the other was evil deciding to fight, and the stronger one won and so he was right

Well it's a good thing that the original post had three paragraphs worth of context so you don't need to judge it "completely devoid of context" any more than you'd need to judge it completely devoid of dialogue or the letter "B".

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Is that the same issue with the "Without its principles, I say America is trash!" speech?

E: because if so then I think that's the stronger sequence.

AnonSpore is right, there's a distinction between "Cap won the fight, and that's why he's right" and "Cap is right, and that's why he wins the fight".

qntm fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 10, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am used to modern Captain America being the calm guy in the room, not the jingo-slinging culture warrior. But yeah without Gavok's explanation it looks like two pandering political mascots having a throwdown in a football stadium. Also, black panthers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am honestly not sure what you all are expecting?

Duh you need context to understand things, pages are not meant to be standalone.

Though that particular one is so unsublte that it works fine by itself.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

You left out the next few panels, which are my favorite part of the entire issue.

Subtle as a sledgehammer but I love it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That guy in the last panel kind of looks like a teenage Hitler.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

qntm posted:

Is that the same issue with the "Without its principles, I say America is trash!" speech?

E: because if so then I think that's the stronger sequence.

AnonSpore is right, there's a distinction between "Cap won the fight, and that's why he's right" and "Cap is right, and that's why he wins the fight".

Nope. That story was about Cap stopping arsonists who considered themselves patriots. Frank Miller did the art. Marvel Presents or one of those two in one type books from the eighties.

EDIT: That's weird. He says almost the same thing in the story I mentioned.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

WickedHate posted:

That guy in the last panel kind of looks like a teenage Hitler.

No that's Hitler behind THAT guy

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ArchRanger posted:

You left out the next few panels, which are my favorite part of the entire issue.

Subtle as a sledgehammer but I love it.

There we go!

Subtlety is overrated.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

qntm posted:

There we go!

Subtlety is overrated.

Well, since these books were targeted to kids and teenagers (both groups notable for not understanding subtlety) I think it's ok.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
That whole comic owns, Captain America owns.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Gavok posted:

I think I would too, I'm not sure what I'd put second, but I know it'd be a pretty big gap between them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Add my vote to that.

I'd love to see more stories set in that world. Spider-man and Jameson became underground fighters against the fascist state America had become, which means at some point they put aside their differences. Pete waves a rifle around. I wanna know how things got like that, you know?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's only a tiny piece of that fight scene, but I like how you see Fury sneaking up on Bucky as Cap and the imposter clash.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

That whole comic owns, Captain America owns.

Peter Gillis is so, so underrated.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That is a little bit better than "YOU THINK THIS A STANDS FOR FRANCE" I guess

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Conan don't shiv.

King Conan: The Hour of the Dragon 2 of 6

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
By Crom, I love Conan so much. :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Hour of the Dragon is fuckin' great. There's a whole part where Conan gets press-ganged by pirates and is all "Dude, I'm the King of Aquilonia, I'll BUY the boat if you take me where I'm going"... then remembers the wizard and some other guys stole his throne plus these pirates don't know he's king of anything anyway. So he decides these guys are dicks for having a bunch of dudes, including guys that used to be on Conan and Belit's crew when he was a pirate, as slaves, so leads a bloody uprising and just takes the ship. (Please forgive me if I messed any part of that up, but I've only read the old-school Roy Thomas/Gil Kane/John Buscema adaptation)

And then he gets hit on by a thousand-year old vampire princess, and it's basically a footnote to the quest he's really on to get the Magical Whatsit of MacGuffin.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 15, 2015

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Even though the overall series wasn't that hot, the opening arc with the Immortals walking off the mountain side from the Dark Horse comic Conan series was solid as hell and would make a great origin movie.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
A couple pages back we had someone post some pictures from Ragnarok. Issue 4 came out this week and it is just as fantastic as ever.

I guess a little backstory is in order for this panel. Last issue Thor killed a Draugr in the village he is at and word got back to the others so they sent an army to attack a small village that has no weapons to defend itself, just a troll that they feed to protect them from the occasional attacker.

Seriously. You need to be reading Ragnarok.

edit: oh christ tables.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is thor dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Nevvy Z posted:

Is thor dead?

In the first issue all the gods are killed. Thor is resurrected as some sort of draugr and begins to kick rear end.