Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Geokinesis posted:

The telegraph must twist everything no matter how damning towards the conservatives to be ED BAD mustn't they?
Except for the back half, which is mostly adverts for fancy Tempurpedic mattresses.

Front: ED BAD
Back: BED AD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Something something SNP bad something something

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
Whole lot of folk on twitter raging about that strip today. It's dumb as gently caress & I really don't get the incest thing but I've seen at least one person claiming it's tantamount to hate speech which is a laugh.

His scotpol stuff is more miss than hit but I still like Steve Bell :shobon:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's a WC Fields quote about not trying incest and country dancing. Doesn't really make it okay though.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Strawman posted:

Knobishness

Confirmed by Rowson on Twitter fwiw.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

College Slice
To be honest I'm struggling to grasp what the outrage is over. Steve Bell's been ripping it out political parties and their leaders for the best part of a few decades now, and now that the SNP are becoming a viable force in UK-wide politics I'd be surprised if he didn't start penning cartoons about them.

The only reason I can think of to get super wound-up over this is if you believe slighting the SNP is the same as slighting everyone in Scotland, which is daft.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or if incest was something that was a common anti-Scottish stereotype, which it isn't. (That would be East Anglia within Britain, or Britain as a whole in some countries.)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

dadrips posted:

To be honest I'm struggling to grasp what the outrage is over. Steve Bell's been ripping it out political parties and their leaders for the best part of a few decades now, and now that the SNP are becoming a viable force in UK-wide politics I'd be surprised if he didn't start penning cartoons about them.

The only reason I can think of to get super wound-up over this is if you believe slighting the SNP is the same as slighting everyone in Scotland, which is daft.

Probably the use of the Scottish iconography present in every one of these cartoons without any counterbalance.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Wow. The Scotland-rUK divide has actually resulted in Steve bell falling out of favour. These are dark times.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Guavanaut posted:

Or if incest was something that was a common anti-Scottish stereotype, which it isn't. (That would be East Anglia within Britain, or Britain as a whole in some countries.)
The West Country is the cousing-shagging capital of England I'll fight anyone who says different

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

College Slice

Gonzo McFee posted:

Probably the use of the Scottish iconography present in every one of these cartoons without any counterbalance.
The SNP are keen to portray themselves as the party of Scotland, and you're surprised that cartoonists play up this aspect to an exaggerated degree?

As much as I loathe cartoonists falling back on lazy devices like tartan, shortbread and Nessie, I don't think this is a particularly egregious example. He's even went ahead and given Alex and Nicola an SNP-yellow tartan.

actually looking back on it some of Steve Bell's indyref cartoons are loving hilarious:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Zephro posted:

The West Country is the cousing-shagging capital of England I'll fight anyone who says different

West Country people shag their siblings :colbert:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
He could have easily put Sturgeon on a yellow backdrop, the colour of the SNP, instead of a Scottish flag. He could have made a much better point, a much better joke, instead of some gratuitous shite like incest. He should also probably be aware of the massively poo poo tendencies most cartoonists have when it comes to Scotland, from the Telegraph to the Independent, and maybe thought twice before making a lazy joke at the expense of a minority in the UK. If there's outrage and offence being expressed by Scottish people, and not just SNP members, who's to say it's "actually fine"? The smug crowing along the lines of "huh well if you didn't let the SNP get so popular you wouldn't be suffering potshots by association now, would you" is loving atrocious as well. The cartoon depicts our first minister against a Scottish flag wearing traditionally Scotland-associated clothes and demanding incest. Try a cartoon about a Muslim demanding pedophilia and it would never loving fly.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

are we hosed yet?

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

College Slice

Coohoolin posted:

Try a cartoon about a Muslim demanding pedophilia and it would never loving fly.
haha aye cause those things are completely equivalent, gently caress off

It's fair to say Scots have been a figure of fun in the same way that other identities within the UK are (the Welsh are sheepfuckers, the Cornish spend their lives mining tin, eating pasties and making banging electronic music...) but it's absolutely nothing compared to the discrimination faced by Islamic folk. Seriously, away and take your mouth for a shite.

also remember that not every Scot voted for "our" first minister and some might actually like seeing her and her party being the butt of a joke for once!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

dadrips posted:

haha aye cause those things are completely equivalent, gently caress off

It's fair to say Scots have been a figure of fun in the same way that other identities within the UK are (the Welsh are sheepfuckers, the Cornish spend their lives mining tin, eating pasties and making banging electronic music...) but it's absolutely nothing compared to the discrimination faced by Islamic folk. Seriously, away and take your mouth for a shite.

also remember that not every Scot voted for "our" first minister and some might actually like seeing her and her party being the butt of a joke for once!

Alright, I exaggerated with the comparison, but it's not far off from a Katie Hopkins comment. I don't mind seeing Sturgeon ripped or whatever but making a cartoon that's effectively equating Scottishness with incest isn't achieving anything.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What Scottish cartoonists do we have? Except Mac, I mean.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Greg Moodie is pretty great although his style might not be for everyone. Also his cartoons are a bunch of different images and are a bitch to copy over.

On the decline of Scottish Labour and Gordon Brown losing his seat:

My personal favourites are Margaret Curran in the space suit and the cardboard cut-out of Alistair Carmichael.

On Jim Murphy's approach as Scottish Labour Leader:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
At the risk of being made to turn over my nat card, I don't think Greg Moodie is particularly good.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

College Slice

keep punching joe posted:

At the risk of being made to turn over my nat card, I don't think Greg Moodie is particularly good.
Yeah people can call Steve Bell a vile xenophobe all they want but at least he commits ink to paper. I just hope the photos Greg "101 Ways To Click Posterise In Photoshop" Moodie rips off are CC-licensed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

dadrips posted:

Yeah people can call Steve Bell a vile xenophobe all they want but at least he commits ink to paper. I just hope the photos Greg "101 Ways To Click Posterise In Photoshop" Moodie rips off are CC-licensed.

Chances are he'd move on to poser comics or whatever is even closer to the bottom of the barrel. He belongs to the type of artists who simply cannot be stopped.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on free schools – David Cameron announces 49 new free schools in diverse list, most of which are scheduled to open by September 2016."

Telegraph:

Ed Balls: Conservatives planning extreme spending cuts; Cricket World Cup 2015: England knocked out by Bangladesh

Independent:

Mail:
Mac on...the poison claims from Crufts dog show

'You heard me, copper. He's saying nothing till his lawyer arrives!'

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

See, here's what really infuriates me about Bell and Scotpol - he's really creatively funny on every other subject.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Zephro posted:

Norfolk isn't The West Country

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Jeremy Clarkson – The BBC said on Tuesday it has suspended controversial Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson pending an investigation into his “fracas with a BBC producer"; Claims Tory poster 'will boost SNP'

Telegraph:

Cheltenham Festival; Putin reveals secrets of Russia's Crimea takeover plot

Independent:

Terror 'apologists' must share blame - Hammond

Times:

Poisoned Crufts dog.

Mail:
Mac on... the hype surrounding the launch of the Apple iWatch

'Doris, love. That fancy new Apple wristwatch you bought... which app did you just press?'

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

I'd go so far as to say that he's shite.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the televised leaders' debates – At prime ministers questions David Cameron shared his apocalyptic visions of a post-election multiverse in which Ed Miliband was in two places at once – hanging on the coat-tails of Alex Salmond, and in Salmond’s pocket"

Telegraph:

Jeremy Clarkson jokes about suspension as petition tops 500,000

Independent:

MPs back standardised cigarette packaging

Mail:
Mac on... Jeremy Clarkson's most recent fall from grace

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Farage's call to scrap anti-discrimination laws – Ukip leader Nigel Farage says Britain should scrap some of its current anti-discrimination laws in favour of legislation that does not seek to ‘divide people’"

Telegraph:

Lib Dem Ibrahim Taguri quits party amid donation claims

Wednesday's Times:

Nato 2% defence spending target should be met, MPs say After Alfred Leete.

Yesterday's Times:

Islamic State crisis: The 13-year-old on 'righteous path'

Mail:
Mac on... Ex-wives seeking bonus divorce settlements

Edit: Independent:

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 13, 2015

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I love that cavernous mouth. And Bell's caricature is hilarious.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

J_RBG posted:

I love that cavernous mouth. And Bell's caricature is hilarious.

It's shaped like a shoe!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Mr Phillby posted:

It's shaped like a shoe!

OH MY GOD

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Saturday's Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the media furore over Ed Miliband's kitchens – Labour leader confirms his house has two kitchens, but says he and his wife barely use the larger one"

Yesterday's Observer:

"Jeremy Clarkson and Nigel Farage reinterpret CS Lewis – Chris Riddell on the equally hapless Top Gear presenter and Ukip leader"

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on David Cameron and Ukip – Ukip would demand an EU referendum before Christmas as the price for doing a deal with the Conservatives to support their spending plans, Nigel Farage has said"

Saturday's Telegraph:

Sunday Telegraph:

Telegraph:

Budget 2015: No gimmicks, pledges George Osborne

Saturday's Independent:

After Van Gogh.

Independent on Sunday:

Independent:

Nick Clegg: Liberal Democrats 'here to stay'

Friday's Times:

Saturday's Times:

(May 2014: Ed Miliband fails to look normal while eating bacon sandwich ahead of campaign tour)

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Wikipedia: Dunbar's Number

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oh god gently caress the telegraph forever

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cloud Potato posted:

Saturday's Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the media furore over Ed Miliband's kitchens – Labour leader confirms his house has two kitchens, but says he and his wife barely use the larger one"

yess yesss yessssssssss

Is that "don't dare have a point" obscured by the hand, there?

Also is Brookes suddenly writing "apologies to Aardman" after drawing Milliband as Wallace for several months (at least) by this point? I wonder what brought that on.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Angepain posted:

Also is Brookes suddenly writing "apologies to Aardman" after drawing Milliband as Wallace for several months (at least) by this point? I wonder what brought that on.

It comes and goes. Sometimes he credits them, sometimes he doesn't.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

That ketchup bottle is unused. Is he slaughtering the pig in there as well? :gonk:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Tony Blair and the Middle East – Tony Blair’s stint as the Quartet’s representative has been a tragic waste, focused more on business than on peace between Palestinians and Israelis"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Grant Shapps admits interview error over 'second job dates'

Times:

UK Budget to be announced tomorrow; March 2014: Minister fuels pension debate with Lamborghini comment

Mail:
Mac on... A Labour and SNP coalition

After this poster.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
God drat it, Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Well, at least Mac understands that Alex Salmond isn't the SNP leader anymore. :v:

• Locked thread