Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Aboriginals should be thankful that a conservative has debased himself by giving them attention

-- a sentenced racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hakimashou posted:

i love Australian politics so much.

You actually have a guy called Senator Xenophon.

We also have a few senators who are Xenophobes.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
"few"?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

cpaf posted:

Aboriginals should be thankful that a conservative has debased himself by giving them attention

-- a sentenced racist
A sentenced convicted racist Thank You!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Employment chat for a moment: Why the gently caress does anyone get interns? we have one who apparently has a masters in Comp Sci and he cant follow basic instructions like 'copy this file from this clickable UNC path to your machine and unzip it to the program files folder'

Like hes getting paid nothing and sucking my time reiterating these basic as gently caress instructions to him, often numerous times. Theres no value here at all for anyone.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

There's also a bunch who are just racist.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Look, i know making ratbag dance like a puppet is fun, but there are actual important things going on, like taps leaking and birds stealing chips.

Oh, and this:

Labor to reject new push for firearms trafficking mandatory sentencing

quote:

Labor will oppose “urgent” legislation to be introduced by the Abbott government this week to impose mandatory minimum sentences for firearms trafficking, paving the way for Coalition claims that the ALP is soft on national security.

As the government seeks to divert attention from the likely failure of more of its key budget reforms over the next sitting fortnight, the prime minister, Tony Abbott, announced on Sunday his government would reintroduce a requirement that those found guilty of trafficking in illegal firearms receive a mandatory five-year jail sentence – something the Coalition itself agreed to remove from laws passed in February.

The move has set up a rift with Labor on what will be presented by the government as a “national security” issue because Labor argues mandatory sentencing is wrong in principle and will oppose the changes.

The shadow attorney general, Mark Dreyfus, said Labor would not change its position on mandatory sentencing.

“There are already heavy penalties for trafficking firearms. There is no evidence that mandatory sentencing works as a deterrent and Labor has a longstanding opposition to minimum sentencing because it is often discriminatory in practice,” Dreyfus said.

LNP bringing up mandatory minimum sentencing. You know that thing that, among all the police/judicial corruption in the US, is why they have a stupidly high prison population while it doesn't seem to do a thing to reduce crime rates?

I'm sure Cartoon would have something to say about this. Oh yes, here it is:

Cartoon posted:

Muppet Government.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Laserface posted:

Employment chat for a moment: Why the gently caress does anyone get interns? we have one who apparently has a masters in Comp Sci and he cant follow basic instructions like 'copy this file from this clickable UNC path to your machine and unzip it to the program files folder'

Like hes getting paid nothing and sucking my time reiterating these basic as gently caress instructions to him, often numerous times. Theres no value here at all for anyone.

Sometimes you get a good one and can offer them a job (or just appropriate their labour).

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Pickled Tink posted:

Look, i know making ratbag dance like a puppet is fun, but there are actual important things going on, like taps leaking and birds stealing chips.

Oh, and this:

LNP bringing up mandatory minimum sentencing. You know that thing that, among all the police/judicial corruption in the US, is why they have a stupidly high prison population while it doesn't seem to do a thing to reduce crime rates?

They really are copying the US Republican playbook aren't they? Eagerly awaiting our new private prison industry.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

my stepdads beer posted:

They really are copying the US Republican playbook aren't they? Eagerly awaiting our new private prison industry.
It's already here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_prisons

NSW, QLD, SA, Vic and WA and that isn't counting our outsourced immigration detention facilities. :toot:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

quote:

The government will be splitting the higher education reform bill in the Senate, so that the reform, the deregulation .. will be able to stand and fall on its own merit, separate from the reduction in the Commonwealth grant scheme by 20%.

So the 20% Commonwealth grant scheme cut will be hived off and put in a separate bill, so two debates can be held, one on the government’s deregulation agenda, which we see as having extraordinary benefits for students and universities – and we’ll have a separate debate around the government’s reduction of the Commonwealth grant scheme to gain savings.

The second thing I’m announcing is that the national collaborative research infrastructure scheme will be continued to be funded for a further 12 months beyond June 30 this year.

We are doing that, and our first announcement, primarily because we want to clear away any distractions or hurdles that stand in the path of the cross-benchers openly considering the government’s deregulation agenda.

Pyne gives up on blackmail, decides to try begging.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Christopher Pyne always calls Dio Wang Dio Wong. I've seen him do it on at least two different occasions. Why.

Pickled Tink posted:

Oh, and this:

Is motherfucking gun running so common with so many people getting away with slaps on the wrist that it needs mandatory sentencing? Are kids with commodore boots full of guns giving cops the finger and telling them, "get hosed pigs its only 6 machine guns i'll just get a fine!"?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 16, 2015

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

katlington posted:

Christopher Pyne always calls Dio Wang Dio Wong. I've seen him do it on at least two different occasions. Why.

Is motherfucking gun running so common with so many people getting away with slaps on the wrist that it needs mandatory sentencing? Are kids with commodore boots full of guns giving cops the finger and telling them, "get hosed pigs its only 6 machine guns i'll just get a fine!"?

Dio openly says that either is appropriate.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

katlington posted:

Pyne called him Wong on 7:30 once, and everyone made fun of him for it until Wang said that it was an acceptable pronunciation so now Pyne exclusively calls him Wong because he is an enormous child

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

katlington posted:

Wang is the pinyin spelling of the character 王 (Emperor). It is pronounced 'wong' in Chinese and the Chinese do not really have a sound that matches the hard, nasal Australian 'wang'.

Penny Wong's last name is 黃 which is Huang in pinyin.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I'm quite possibly just under-read on this topic but what are the

quote:

extraordinary benefits for students

coming from deregulated university fees?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Dio!?!
*Menacing*

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

Wang is the pinyin spelling of the character 王 (Emperor). It is pronounced 'wong' in Chinese and the Chinese do not really have a sound that matches the hard, nasal Australian 'wang'.

Penny Wong's last name is 黃 which is Huang in pinyin.

I kinda wanna recut that KRudd mandarin video with this as the subtitles. But I CBF.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

markgreyam posted:

If you keep repeating the lie long enough, people begin to believe it.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Kommando posted:

If you keep repeating the lie long enough, people begin to believe it.

Each student will have the extraordinary benefit of indentured servitude for the rest of their life!

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

markgreyam posted:

They don't have to be exposed to poor people as much.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

markgreyam posted:

you'll have the same opportunity to attend six figure courses* at sandstone unis as the rich kids.
(*with a six figure loan)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Better quality universities, plus you can now take out a loan to attend all sorts of non-university institutions!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The funniest thing about sandstone universities is that UTAS is one of those.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

markgreyam posted:

Deregulating universities allows them to raise the additional funds required to improve their quality of education, which will push their world rankings higher. When your world ranking is higher, then the students benefit. It is expected that the increases in fees will not deter students from enrolling, as it is an indexed debt and without it you won't be receiving your higher pay due to that better education and qualification. Therefore, education gets more funding, students get better education, and the government doesn't have to pay so much.

Thus spoke Pyne.

Of course, over the past couple of decades the ongoing defunding of universities means that they are already degree mills which take and train students with no mind to their ability to meet market demand for professions. Since funding is increasingly strongly linked to student count, increasing cohort sizes leads to more money. Already there are far too many more Law and Pharmacy graduates than there are jobs for such graduates, and they're just the ones I've paid attention to. Similarly in Medicine, they train more Med students than there are intern placements, which leads to international students paying for an incomplete, useless, and very expensive education. The outcome is inevitably a large number of (younger) people with enormous debts which don't allow for their own repayment (as education should), and the reduced government funding being diverted elsewhere. Probably benefits for the older who won't be affected. Sound familiar?

A cynic might say that peak bodies for the professions are deliberately blowing out the supply of graduates in order to push down wages, but that assumes co-ordinated competence all over. More likely it's the usual antisocial clusterfuck which arises when you pay attention to the trees and forget the forest. Plus, it's stupid to run something which explicitly isn't a business as a business.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's worth noting we already have world-class universities.

quote:

Trying to compete with Harvard and Yale and MIT is fine if you think it is viable to have in Australia a university with the funding of Sydney University, but with only about 500 students instead of about 30,000.

Trying to compete one on one with such institutions is a mugs game.

And yet when we instead focus on specialities rather than overall performance, we do quite well. The QS World Rankings has numerous Australian universities filling the top 50 rankings by subject.

We have five universities in the top 50 for medicine, computer science, English literature and earth sciences. We have six in the top 50 for economics, seven in the top 50 for civil engineering, and eight in the field of psychology. When it comes to law we have a pretty astounding five in the top 25. In education we actually have four universities rated in the top 10 worldwide (Melbourne comes second overall).

And overall seven Australian universities are in the top 100, with Adelaide University just missing out coming in at 102nd.

Is that really a poor effort? Is that so dire that we require a major overhaul of funding and a massive increase of debt onto students?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Why did we have to pay 20 odd thousand in tuition fees when our parents got a free education?
*looks at proposed education changes*
I'm so glad that I was one of the last people who were charged an affordable amount for a university education.
fygm.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Note that complete deregulation without price controls is effectively a tax increase on graduates (who do not have rich parents that can pay for their degree).

The graduate is effectively paying an extra percentage of tax over the life of their debt, and that tax is progressive, so it goes up with your income level (max is 8% on top of normal marginal rates).

It is a way for government to indirectly fund universities instead of just raising marginal tax rates for everybody.

Edit: Just to emphasise the point, this is a tax increase only for graduates, because the alternative is a tax increase for everybody.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Good thing wider society sees no benefit from having university educated people.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If we just amalgamated all our unis under a single name I'm sure we'd shoot up the rankings.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can someone confirm, HECS debt on the government balance sheet counts as an asset (because theoretically it will all be paid back, hahaha), rather than an expense, so deregulation won't blow out the deficit?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

xPanda posted:

the usual antisocial clusterfuck

Thanks, Bargearse!

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Can someone confirm, HECS debt on the government balance sheet counts as an asset (because theoretically it will all be paid back, hahaha), rather than an expense, so deregulation won't blow out the deficit?

If it works similarly to how business accounts work, yeah it would be.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The next step in Pyne's master plan has got to be selling off the HECS debt, graduates of Australia, say hello to your new creditor; Goldman Sachs!

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

If you recall, the original plan included a provision to have it index at the government bond rate. At the moment because it is linked to CPI, it is effectively a zero-income generating asset (if you use the category as below), which for a government is pretty poo poo, so there would have to be some other motivation behind it being linked to CPI. Hmm...

Anyway, if it were linked to government bonds, it would perform neutral to the performance of the economy. If the economy is going swell, government bond rates go up, so to student HECS debt levels. If the economy is in the stinker (like now), bond rates go down, student hecs debt levels go down relative to it.

The original proposal was meant to completely offset all government expenses as compared to the economy, allow the universities to "charge what they can get away with" and isolate the cashflow effects only to graduates in the system, rather than general revenue.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/03/16/pyne-ditches-researcher-threats-government-splits-bill

Oh thank God! Pity I bet a lot of people have already applied for other jobs overseas since the threat was there.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Is there a photo of Pyne where he doesn't look like an utterly distastefully arrogant wanker?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

markgreyam posted:

Is there a photo of Pyne where he doesn't look like an utterly distastefully arrogant wanker?

I dont think photos can change who a person is.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

dordreff posted:

Pyne called him Wong on 7:30 once, and everyone made fun of him for it until Wang said that it was an acceptable pronunciation so now Pyne exclusively calls him Wong because he is an enormous child

More likely Pyne doesn't want a soundbite of him saying "wang" out there on the internet. He knows what we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

xPanda posted:

Deregulating universities allows them to raise the additional funds required to improve their quality of education, which will push their world rankings higher.
Except that the Shanghai ranking doesn't seem to look at teaching at all, and it's only 30% on the THE rankings (even then it's just a survey on perception of prestige, ffs). Anything that includes education is going to favour small universities like Cal Tech which only admit high achieving students, so Australian unis will struggle due to their relatively large and generalist student populations.

Some rankings also include metrics like 'research $$$ won', which means that a fluctuation in exchange rates can substantially affect a whole country's standing, despite little actual difference in research quality.

edit: the Shanghai index is especially bad for Australia, since it ignores medical, biological, and life sciences altogether. Yet the pinheads who claim million dollar salaries for running our unis are obsessed with climbing these rankings.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 16, 2015

• Locked thread