Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Compusaurus posted:

BCBS mentions - coffee is way, way to acrid now. It is not good.

I had some a couple of weeks ago and acrid is the perfect word for it. It was not a pleasant beer to drink at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Count me in for being indifferent to Carton's Regular Coffee.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Midorka posted:

Count me in for being indifferent to Carton's Regular Coffee.

I drink coffee black and don't like cream or sugar in it so that may have had something to do with it.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I moved yesterday and my neighbor across the street introduced himself and asked if I like beer. Of course!
So he invites me over to his garage. He recently closed down the liquor store he owned and had a bunch of beer left over. $2/6 pack for Two Hearted? And it's fresh? $2/4 pack of Myrcenary? Shiiiit. I'm $30 lighter and pretty set for a while. :v:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So due to a conversation I found myself searching Dogfish Head's Squall IPA on untappd. What in the world? People have apparently been sitting on this for 5 years and are giving it crazy ratings. I'm likened to believe they have awful palates so can anyone corroborate? One guy said it's as good as Pliny if not better so he's obviously an idiot considering it wouldn't even taste like an IPA at this point, but all if the ratings are high and it makes no sense.

Edit: apparently the brewpub is selling it? Sounds like cryme needs to investigate

Midorka fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 16, 2015

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

5:44PM — People are throwing valuable beer from the second floor of 3118 Sheffield.

-Chicago St Patrick's Day Police Blotter

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I had some stuff while shopping today:

Garden of Eden by To Øl - gently caress this is good. So much fruit in an IPA; I'm in heaven

Farmhouse Pale by Oxbow - I might have had this a hundred times but it's roughly the beer I want to dial in for my homebrew hoppy saison to taste like for spring.

Desolation by 3 Stars - I'm really coming around on 3 Stars. Tons of coffee, perfect mouthfeel, smooth drinking. I'd have a few of these regardless of regret. I don't know what to think about aging green coffee in barrels pre-roasting, but it certainly didn't seem to suffer from it.

Grand Dame by Trois Dames - very solid flanders brown

Mikkeler SpontanSweetCherry - meh. oh well. I'm reminded that I have a batch 1 Spontanengueze sitting somewhere :(

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
I've drunk a lot of beer recently and I'm proud to post some highlights:

Firestone Walker XVIII - Delicious fresh from the keg. Little heat, great stone fruit and dark vanilla
Perennial Sump - Loved how it tasted like pure espresso with slight alcoholic heat. Enjoyed it immensely.
Hardywood Sidamo - Another great coffee beer. More traditional than sump, but still very good.
Boulevard Chocolate Ale - Disappointing from them. I thought this was going to be a great belgian but...eh
Lickinghole Creek Heir Apparent - Good Mexican Chocolate stout. Not as good as the hype albeit still tasty
Southern Tier Creme Brulee - This is just terrible. I can barely drink it now
Foothills Sexual Chocolate - A good stout, but not as much of a standout as it might have been a few years ago
Jolly Pumpkin Saison X - drat good beer. I'd drink this all the time if I had access
Evil Twin IBBNPPWACOT - Great stout/porter but I didn't get any cherry. Must have been the hotel room I drank it on while on business. Love this whole series, but I don't think this variant was that different/incredible.
Cigar City BBA Big Sound - Great beer, but similar to the top I didn't think it was incredible compared to the base beer.
Cigar City Cafe Con Leche Stout - I enjoyed this a lot, easy drinker with a full body to it
Hardywood Bourbon Barleywine - Great english style barleywine but it got a tad astringent at the end. Was hoping for better given how good their BBA quad was
Otter Creek Citra Mantra - In the words of my wife, nothing but stale tortilla chips eaten with watery salsa.
All of the Hitachio Nest beers - these are mostly average if not good, but their Eisbock is the best I've probably ever had. Vinuous and thick, but great flavor.

Overall it's been great for beer lately, I'm happy I live within walking distance of one of the top 3 beer bars in America.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

the yellow dart posted:

Otter Creek Citra Mantra - In the words of my wife, nothing but stale tortilla chips eaten with watery salsa.

I wonder if this was a freshness issue? I crushed a couple of six packs of this when I spent 2 weeks in the northeast and loved the poo poo out of it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Spanish Manlove posted:

Either way, the best things I got to try were Funk'd Blanc from Night Shift, all the sours from NOLA, and a Mango Habanero sour from the homebrew tent.

really?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

They were some of my favorites because no one expected them to bring that level of beer, even some of the most jaded beer nerds I know were also surprised by them.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

I had a Brett pale ale at their brewery bar when I was visiting my family during Mardi Gras and it was downright fantastic. The low expectations for such a beer might have jaded it, but it was delicious. Their fruit sour was equally as good.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Manitou Brewing is still an awesome place to drink if you're in the Colorado Springs area. Their Spot Hop IPA this time round had Zythos, Falconer's Flight, Columbus, and Centennial hops and it was super juicy oranges with a mild bitterness. Reminded me a lot of Flower Power. They also had a Honey Orange Rye Saison that was quite tasty. Smelled like sweet orange peel, dry and peppery to the taste, and a pleasant honey finish. So very good.

Too bad they have no distro and don't do growlers.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Great to hear! Really excited to try their stuff when I don't have to drive to Plover to get it, the new 'Geuzeria' is like 6 blocks from my house, sell it there!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

NOLA is for sure the best brewery from that area that i've tried, so i know they make some good beer, but i had no idea they had any kind of a sour program. too bad i won't get to check it out this summer as the friends we used to visit there moved to Jacksonville, FL

oh, drinking a 2012 Black Note. it's good, but it reminds of a toned-down BCBS- less sweet, less hot, less body, less rich, but similarly-flavored. not as good as i remember it being, and there's a touch of something akin to that green pepper flavor that turns up in old coffee beer on the back end that's not awesome.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 16, 2015

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

funkybottoms posted:

NOLA is for sure the best brewery from that area that i've tried, so i know they make some good beer, but i had no idea they had any kind of a sour program. too bad i won't get to check it out this summer as the friends we used to visit there moved to Jacksonville, FL

True dat, when I walked in and saw it (amongst other weird things) I had to try it. Their IPA and red are above average, but nothing to write home about. They seem to be doing weird experimental stuff at the brewery itself though that is new and tasty. It really has a hard time convincing people though because of the standard, crap southern breweries out there.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

they're pretty much Hill Farmstead compared to Abita and Tin Roof

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

funkybottoms posted:

oh, drinking a 2012 Black Note. it's good, but it reminds of a toned-down BCBS- less sweet, less hot, less body, less rich, but similarly-flavored. not as good as i remember it being, and there's a touch of something akin to that green pepper flavor that turns up in old coffee beer on the back end that's not awesome.

2014 vs 2014, Black Note tasted far superior to BCBS imo

funkybottoms posted:

they're pretty much Hill Farmstead compared to Abita and Tin Roof

I once met a guy at the San Diego Brewer's Guild fest and we bonded over how much Abita's beer was garbage. Turned out he used to work there.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Hate how I have to use wire cutters to get into so many corked and caged beer bottles. The average quality of the cages is absolute poo poo. I think I've had to cut open the last 5 bottles of Arctic Saison. Either stop skimping on the cages or just put a loving crown cap on it.

:bahgawd:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Modern Times City of the Dead was the highlight of my weekend. The coffee flavor was remarkable and the experience was closer to enjoying a nice coffee more than drinking a beer. Smooth, rich, and the acidic bite I sometimes get out of coffee tasted clean.

So how about those "You never know" cans at Huna day? Heard they're relabeled Heady, didn't realize that's ok to do in FL.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

So how about those "You never know" cans at Huna day? Heard they're relabeled Heady, didn't realize that's ok to do in FL.

they're also served beers from non-existent- and therefore non-ABC-approved- breweries, so i doubt they would care too much if this happens to be true.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You Never Know is 12oz cans, rather than the 16oz Heady cans, so unless they specifically canned a run of Heady for CCB, it's not Heady.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

a worthy uhh posted:

You Never Know is 12oz cans, rather than the 16oz Heady cans, so unless they specifically canned a run of Heady for CCB, it's not Heady.

but, hey- you never know

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

funkybottoms posted:

but, hey- you never know

:negative:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm glad you guys are enjoying your cans of jai alai.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

But if I don't know what beer it is how am I supposed to know if I'm supposed to like it or not :ohdear:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

air- posted:

I had mine last night and no way in hell is it Heady. It was sweeter and far less cohesive than Heady is.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

air- posted:

It's an entirely new recipe whipped up by Wayne. Joey didn't think people were getting their money's worth so he wanted to throw in a bonus. We originally wanted them to be 16oz cans but we couldn't get the blanks in time so went with 12oz instead. We also thought about 22oz bottles but realized they wouldn't fit in the bags with the 4 Hunahpu's bottles.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

People got 4 $50 Huna bottles for $200, how is that not getting their money's worth?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

a worthy uhh posted:

People got 4 $50 Huna bottles for $200, how is that not getting their money's worth?

To add to this - I think the teacher forgot to give us our homework today

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

air- posted:

No way, it was too dark and clear to be Heady. I did hear random bottles of Hunahpu were barrel aged, because breweries hate money.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I opened my bottle of Pizza Boy Grasslands at a share yesterday and so far it's my favorite of their large format bottles. Bright, floral, and slightly tart. The wine barrel is present but not overpowering. Someone at the share said it may have had a bit of diacetyl, but it seemed to be more of a chardonnay flavor to me (which can be buttery). Overall it's an excellent beer... but still not worth anywhere near the $30 price tag.

Other highlights included...

Dock Street Man Full of Funk - Started off as a Brandy BA version of their Man Full of Trouble Porter but a single barrel got infected so it was isolated and injected with brett cultured from Cantillon bottles and allowed to age 2.5 years. The end result was a pretty fantastic funky BA porter.

Natty Green Kriek Lambic - Kinda surprising. Tart and funky, but a little one dimensional and maybe more acetic than it should be. But overall pretty enjoyable. Much better than the Natty Green Gueuze someone brought to the last share.

And things I don't even need to write descriptions for...
2010 3F Shaerbeekse Kriek
2010 3F Oude Geuze
HF Anna

Good times. Would share bottles again.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a worthy uhh posted:

I'm just mad they ran out of "Cigar City Sucks" shirts before I could get one.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ExtremistCow posted:

I did hear random bottles of Hunahpu were barrel aged, because breweries hate money.

Pretty sure this is bullshit too

Spanish Manlove posted:

This was the day's true injustice

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

deadwing posted:

Pretty sure this is bullshit too

There was a keg of huna at the port of tampa near a ship called "S.S. Anne" and you just had to bump up against a crate 151 times until Wayne himself poured you a glass.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

There was a keg of huna at the port of tampa near a ship called "S.S. Anne" and you just had to bump up against a crate 151 times until Wayne himself poured you a glass.

no way man you need to use strength on the truck 151 times

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

And things I don't even need to write descriptions for...
2010 3F Shaerbeekse Kriek

Please do me a favor and write what you thought of this. crazyfish ran across a couple bottles of this sometime last year and picked them up for me. I opened one a while back and found it disappointing compared to the fresh-ish 2013 I had. Much less 3F funk, much more sour. Wondering if it's worth opening or trading my last bottle at this point or if I just had a lesser bottle.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Spanish Manlove posted:

Just to clarify my post, I am mocking the turd ISO/FT people who are flipping their "$50 Huna". Nothing against CCB.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a worthy uhh posted:

Just to clarify my post, I am mocking the turd ISO/FT people who are flipping their "$50 Huna". Nothing against CCB.

Some guy did try to buy a bottle off me when i was waiting in the shade for my ride and I got him up to $80 before I broke character and started laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

danbanana posted:

Please do me a favor and write what you thought of this. crazyfish ran across a couple bottles of this sometime last year and picked them up for me. I opened one a while back and found it disappointing compared to the fresh-ish 2013 I had. Much less 3F funk, much more sour. Wondering if it's worth opening or trading my last bottle at this point or if I just had a lesser bottle.

It was definitely more funky than sour. Not acetic at all. Cherry was a little faded but still present. Pretty great stuff.