Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jellymouth posted:

I really really really hope they're right about the "put a bunch of garlic cloves between two bowls and shake the poo poo out of them to peel them" thing working. Can anyone else confirm?

It work pretty well, yeah. It just doesn't save that much time unless you're doing 10 or more cloves at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Apparently if you just throw vegetables and yogurt and a banana into a blender you can make a liquid that tastes of banana but is full of nutrients from vegetables.

You know, for babies.

Life hack??????

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I thought poking a hole in the egg was something everyone learned as a child. Nothing qualifies as a lifehack if they sell devices made specifically for its purpose.

Although now that I think about it it's a very ridiculous device.

What does poking the hole allegedly do? I've never heard of this, and the site that Cracked links to just says that "you will never boil eggs in any other way again".

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

What does poking the hole allegedly do? I've never heard of this, and the site that Cracked links to just says that "you will never boil eggs in any other way again".
It makes it slightly less likely for the egg to burst while cooking. This only happens with eggs that are already a bit old anyway.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It prevents them from cracking open when being boiled. Not sure what the Cracked article says about it, i don't click links to that site.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Spoeank posted:

That butter one is peak life hack. Use a microwave to heat butter but not by putting the butter in the microwave :downs:

Reading the article, it links you to another article about how safe is to leave your butter outside the fridge. It really amuses me how they have completely forgotten about the rest of the world that doesn't live in a cool climate, a thing several people pointed out..only to be #lifehacked by other people telling them to leave their A/C turned on , ON the kitchen, all day long.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Don't have air-conditioning? Simply leave your fridge door open all day!

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
If your kitchen is that warm leaving the butter out for 5-10 minutes before you need it should soften it up anyway.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

pienipple posted:

If your kitchen is that warm leaving the butter out for 5-10 minutes before you need it should soften it up anyway.

But that wouldn't be a life hack. Leave it out? Seems complicated and time consuming. Need to melt butter? Here are some simple steps.

(1) Just fill a pot with water
(2) use your favorite blow torch to heat the water to a boil
(3) simply pour the boiling water into a glass
(4) roll the hot glass over your butter

Voila!

(5) the floor, a animal, etc

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nononono that's not it at all!

1) Construct a footlong pulsejet engine in a kettle.
2) Immerse it in butter.
3) Set fire to your loved ones.
4) Enjoy soft (vaporized) butter.

e: it even looks like a glowing steel crack bong jesus!

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Mar 16, 2015

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Karate Bastard posted:

2) Immerse it in butter.

don't forget to scoop out the bits of metal before you use your butter for whatever.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The bowl one totally works and it is awesome if you use garlic regularly because you can do a couple bulbs at a time and keep peeled garlic around for a while in the fridge.

Also, buy a loving butter dish

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I thought poking a hole in the egg was something everyone learned as a child. Nothing qualifies as a lifehack if they sell devices made specifically for its purpose.

Although now that I think about it it's a very ridiculous device.

Everyone I know has this thing. If you don't have one you might as well live in a loving cave.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A butter dish? What are you, some kind of consumer whore? I've got a perfectly good 3 year old shoebox I can use

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

*in Alton brown voice* Butter dishes are just another unnecessary unitasker in the kitchen. Instead of buying into yet another thing you'll only use for one purpose, try multitasking by storing your butter on the ground like a animal you piece of poo poo

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

death .cab for qt posted:

*in Alton brown voice* Butter dishes are just another unnecessary unitasker in the kitchen. Instead of buying into yet another thing you'll only use for one purpose, try multitasking by storing your butter on the ground like a animal you piece of poo poo

http://youtu.be/wy1vLBf4CqI

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Sentient Data posted:

A butter dish? What are you, some kind of consumer whore? I've got a perfectly good 3 year old shoebox I can use

Put it on a seatless chair and you got yourself a grandma toilet.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

timebandit
Mar 22, 2004

LoonShia posted:

Actual garlic-based lifehack that makes peeling easier: Put the cloves into a glass of water for five minutes before peeling.

After you remove the garlic from your glass, chug the garlic water for a tasty, anti inflamitory treat. Larry King approved!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Where I come from, we call that Italian Lemonade :viggo:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HenryEx posted:

It prevents them from cracking open when being boiled. Not sure what the Cracked article says about it, i don't click links to that site.

Boiling an egg isn't that loving hard that you need to buy a gadget to prevent you from loving it up. It's probably the easiest dish in the world.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
LIFEHACK: Immerse your eggs in boiling water so that any cracks will rapidly self-seal as the egg whites harden on contact!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You guys are optimizing the entirely wrong end of the egg spectrum.

Lifehack: PLEASE DONT SHOOT ANYONE! this is a dangerous project, please be responsible with this cannon

e: Real life hack: take any concept, affix "cannon", gis, life now better.

e2: proof, for doubters:

* GREASE!
* FISH!
* LOVE!

...by your powers combined: #Lifehack!

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Mar 16, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Karate Bastard posted:

2) Immerse it in butter.

Colin Furze gets an immediate pass on everything from me.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alton Brown wouldn't swear :colbert:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Pomp posted:

Alton Brown wouldn't swear :colbert:

Oh I bet he does. Would love to see his outtakes. :allears:

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I am beside myself with joy that this exists. Thank you for bringing this into my life.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

The bowl one totally works and it is awesome if you use garlic regularly because you can do a couple bulbs at a time and keep peeled garlic around for a while in the fridge.

Also, buy a loving butter dish

Have extra garlic? Store it covered in olive oil. The oil prevents the garlic from oxidizing, the garlic flavors the oil! #Lifehacksthatwillkillyou

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Caedus posted:

I am beside myself with joy that this exists. Thank you for bringing this into my life.

Do you have the book? I have the book, and even I didn't know about the videos.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Not My Leg posted:

Have extra garlic? Store it covered in olive oil. The oil prevents the garlic from oxidizing, the garlic flavors the oil! #Lifehacksthatwillkillyou

Sadly, the resulting oil is so delicious I still do it sometimes. I do dunk the garlic in boiling water for a few minutes first, but I have no idea if that helps.

It is really very delicious oil.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

bunnielab posted:

Sadly, the resulting oil is so delicious I still do it sometimes. I do dunk the garlic in boiling water for a few minutes first, but I have no idea if that helps.

It is really very delicious oil.

That'll kill the bacteria, but the spores are really tough to kill. Boiling water doesn't go high enough to kill them. If you store the oil at room temperature while its infusing, the spores might reactivate, but if you store it below freezing, they should remain dormant. It's super iffy, though.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Karma Monkey posted:

Oh I bet he does. Would love to see his outtakes. :allears:

I actually knew a guy years ago who worked on several episodes of Good Eats. He had told a bunch of us that Alton is just as friendly and knowledgeable off camera as he is on camera, except off camera, he swears like a motherfucker :getin:

blunt for century has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Mar 17, 2015

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

blunt for century posted:

I actually knew a guy years ago who worked on several episodes of Good Eats. He had told a bunch of us that Alton is just as friendly and knowledgeable off camera, as he is on camera, except off camera, he swears like a motherfucker :getin:

This post has enriched my life in a deeply meaningful way.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Centripetal Horse posted:

Do you have the book? I have the book, and even I didn't know about the videos.

Funny to actually learn something from this thread, I thought botulism was basically from unsafe canning or improper storage, I would have never thought of an oil infusion leading to the right conditions for growth but I guess it makes perfect sense since the garlic's in an oxygenless environment

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can buy minced garlic in oil or water and it lasts for months and is sold in every store; I can't believe it's as dangerous as all that. Fortunately I don't cook with more than a clove or two at a time and I'm happy to just peel it like a normal person

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
I don't get how the garlic bowl thing is even a hack. When I peel it I cut off the ends and peel off the skin. All of that goes onto a chopping board which I wipe away into the bin, and I'm almost definitely using the chopping board for something else anyway.

With the two bowls you end up with two bowls which presumably need a rinse and a dry afterwards, and you have to get them out the cupboard and put them back. You'll probably need a chopping board for something too so you'll need to get that. I could just about buy that this is a life hack if it was used in a professional kitchen, but the guy who peels the garlic doesn't actually get the ten minutes he's saved back as his own time. He'll just be told to do something else and quietly peeling garlic is probably preferable.

Sorry :shobon:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Inco posted:

That'll kill the bacteria, but the spores are really tough to kill. Boiling water doesn't go high enough to kill them. If you store the oil at room temperature while its infusing, the spores might reactivate, but if you store it below freezing, they should remain dormant. It's super iffy, though.

Which is why you mince it fresh and slowly heat the oil up.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Sentient Data posted:

Funny to actually learn something from this thread, I thought botulism was basically from unsafe canning or improper storage, I would have never thought of an oil infusion leading to the right conditions for growth but I guess it makes perfect sense since the garlic's in an oxygenless environment

Canning happens to be a hobby of mine. Right now, I have Honeycrisp apples, chopped pineapple, chili, and sweet-and-sour chicken in my pantry. Herb-and-oil recipes are a common source of home-canning illness. It's not just the anaerobic environment created by the oil, it's also the low acidity, and the fact that botulism is common in soil. The garlic bulb comes out of the ground covered in botusoil, goes into the nice oxygen-free, low-acidity oil environment, and people get sick. Many people think boiling is a cure-all, but at sea-level-or-less pressures, it doesn't even come close to getting the job done.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought you'd get around that by adding a bit of lemon to the mix or just storing it next to the fuel rods, like you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That's why it's a "hack". It takes way more effort than the normal way, causes more inconvenience and creates washing up. Buts it's different to the regular way, therefore it CHANGES YOUR LIFE COMPLETELY WITH ONE SIMPLE TRICK AND EVERYONE IS AMAZED.