Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Oceanbound posted:

Gain control of it somehow, then grant it to a landed baron, who should change the main holding to a barony.

It has to be a baron? Not anything above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What? Why? Who would kill a baby?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

I'm really interested on where it takes you if you click the red skull now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dj_clawson posted:

Is there any way to dissolve a merchant republic if you're their king? I hate the -30 "wrong government type" opinion modifier. I noticed that Venice, which was independent and a republic, went feudal when the Byzantine Emperor claimed the island.

You might want to look at that tax income you're getting from the doge before you do something short-sighted like that. The -30 modifier is a small price to pay. But you can give the duchy and the capital county to a feudal count or baron, and the republic will dissolve.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Mantis42 posted:

Rabble. Can't you read?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think some Catholic rebels broke into my castle and did it. Christians are the worst.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

dj_clawson posted:

So what is the master secret to getting Legendary Wisdom? Because I've had, I don't know, at least 10 kings with Stewardship focus and I've never gotten it. And they all die horribly depressed.

I think you need +12 Stewardship to begin with, then over time you gain +1, +2 and +3 Stewardship bonus - the +3 gives you a new Trait, Administrator.

Once you have an Administrator and +12 Stewardship, its just MTTH. Of around 20 years.

So essentially, breed for Stewardship and when you get Administrator switch to War or Hunting for the Health bonus and wait it out. Ultimogeniture may help.

I'm still trying to complete a successful Hunt, myself. :P That and Black Bishop.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

dj_clawson posted:

It has to be a baron? Not anything above?

Anyone who isn't a burgher or bishop should work.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
There really should be a less cumbersome way to change capitals. I mean I do get it but it's a bit of a headache for new people to wrap their head around and still an annoyance of musical chairs if you get it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

There really should be a less cumbersome way to change capitals. I mean I do get it but it's a bit of a headache for new people to wrap their head around and still an annoyance of musical chairs if you get it.

I don't think I figured out how a capitol worked until like 100 hours in. Now I'm 400 (just crossed the line!) and I'm staring cluelessly at the College of Cardinals screen.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

dj_clawson posted:

I don't think I figured out how a capitol worked until like 100 hours in. Now I'm 400 (just crossed the line!) and I'm staring cluelessly at the College of Cardinals screen.

The College is really easy to figure out:

1) Money goes in.
2) Your cardinals get elected to the College thanks to your money.
3) Eventually, they become Pope, you get a big relations bonus and can get Pope claims or Pope money.

Alternatively, the more realistic version is as follows:

1) Money goes in.
2) Your cardinals never get elected because those lovely loving Italian republics put even more money in.
3) Even if they manage to get into the College, they never become Pope because the Italians are preferred and the lovely loving republics make sure there's no shortage of them.

If you want to get a certain dude on the throne of the Papacy, just go the standard Antipope route. It's just not worth the headache and can be easily ignored.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RagnarokAngel posted:

Is there any easy way to figure out where the hell your capital should be? I mean, if you want to make the capital of your country into your capital. It's not immediately obvious for every country.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

TheMcD posted:

The College is really easy to figure out:

1) Money goes in.
2) Your cardinals get elected to the College thanks to your money.
3) Eventually, they become Pope, you get a big relations bonus and can get Pope claims or Pope money.

Alternatively, the more realistic version is as follows:

1) Money goes in.
2) Your cardinals never get elected because those lovely loving Italian republics put even more money in.
3) Even if they manage to get into the College, they never become Pope because the Italians are preferred and the lovely loving republics make sure there's no shortage of them.

If you want to get a certain dude on the throne of the Papacy, just go the standard Antipope route. It's just not worth the headache and can be easily ignored.

I've got a wicked priest who's a bishop on the "Nominate Sucessor" screen but I don't know how to get him in the College of Cardinals.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

dj_clawson posted:

I've got a wicked priest who's a bishop on the "Nominate Sucessor" screen but I don't know how to get him in the College of Cardinals.

Look at where it says "my best cardinal candidate", he's the guy with the least campaign funds necessary to get in.

Wicked priest man is probably going to have to be anti-poped in.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Is there any easy way to figure out where the hell your capital should be? I mean, if you want to make the capital of your country into your capital. It's not immediately obvious for every country.

The ideal capital should have as many castle holdings in the capital county as possible with a large number of holdings in the capital duchy as well. It should be located on the coast for easy troop shipping. Do your best to match these requirements. Provinces shows you which ones have high numbers of holdings, and Duchies can give you holdings per duchy. One excellent and underappreciated capital is Brugge with the max 7 holdings in the Duchy of Flanders with the 4th highest holdings in the game at 31, with the 3rd highest coastal holdings (for those cities with markets and ports) at 26. Sicily is a good choice for similar reasons, but lacks a county with 7 holdings.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Look at where it says "my best cardinal candidate", he's the guy with the least campaign funds necessary to get in.

Wicked priest man is probably going to have to be anti-poped in.

I'm not sure if bypassing the College of Cardinals will actually get me the "Black Bishop" achievement.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cantorsdust posted:

The ideal capital should have as many castle holdings in the capital county as possible with a large number of holdings in the capital duchy as well. It should be located on the coast for easy troop shipping. Do your best to match these requirements. Provinces shows you which ones have high numbers of holdings, and Duchies can give you holdings per duchy. One excellent and underappreciated capital is Brugge with the max 7 holdings in the Duchy of Flanders with the 4th highest holdings in the game at 31, with the 3rd highest coastal holdings (for those cities with markets and ports) at 26. Sicily is a good choice for similar reasons, but lacks a county with 7 holdings.

I get this, but I've been some countries where it's a crapshoot and I'd like to be where the capital Officially is. How do I figure out the capital duchy/county?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Midnight Voyager posted:

I get this, but I've been some countries where it's a crapshoot and I'd like to be where the capital Officially is. How do I figure out the capital duchy/county?

The duchy capital can be seen in the tooltip when you hover over a province while using the "de jure duchies" mapmode. The same does not seems to work for kingdoms, though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
When you click on the coat of arms for the title from any menu, it will automatically scroll the map over to that duchy/kingdom/empire's de jure capital.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Did they change something about capitals recently? Why is everyone so concerned with them all of the sudden?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Darth Windu posted:

Did they change something about capitals recently? Why is everyone so concerned with them all of the sudden?

Nope? I just saw someone talking about capitals and it made me think of that question. I guess it's a bit of a Clean Borders kind of thing. I'd like the capital to be the official one unless there's an obviously better location for it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

How do I get the Duelist achievement without dying? Also I'm not clear on the "rival" system.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

The duchy capital can be seen in the tooltip when you hover over a province while using the "de jure duchies" mapmode. The same does not seems to work for kingdoms, though.

It does work for kingdoms as well, you just have to use the de jure kingdom mapmode. I have seen kingdoms where I couldn't find the de jure kingdom capital, but those are rare. And it obviously also works with empire capitals and the de jure empire mapmode.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a few good reasons to be aware of where your capital is - you can plot to revoke any counties located in your capital's duchy if they're owned by vassals. Your capital county also gets extra troops and maybe income (I'm not sure on the latter), so it's good to set up one with a ton of holdings that you personally control to apply the bonus to all of them. You'll get more troops out of controlling three castles in your capital county than you would controlling three separate counties. Plus it lets you use train troops/collect taxes on all of at once for an even bigger bonus.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
A lot of mods that alter de jure territories seem to leave the capital tooltip out.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

It does work for kingdoms as well, you just have to use the de jure kingdom mapmode. I have seen kingdoms where I couldn't find the de jure kingdom capital, but those are rare. And it obviously also works with empire capitals and the de jure empire mapmode.

Yeah, I know. But from my experience, most of the times I cant find the kingdom capital nowhere in the de-jure kingdom mapmode.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, I know. But from my experience, most of the times I cant find the kingdom capital nowhere in the de-jure kingdom mapmode.

That's odd. I did a quick check (5 minutes of my life well spent) and found the de jure capital of every kingdom in my current save, except for one custom kingdom and one kingdom whose de jure capital drifted into another kingdom. Care to give examples?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

That's odd. I did a quick check (5 minutes of my life well spent) and found the de jure capital of every kingdom in my current save, except for one custom kingdom and one kingdom whose de jure capital drifted into another kingdom. Care to give examples?

Cant right now, but Ill look for it later.

But I do know that many times I tried to find some kingdom capital and hovered over all provinces in dejure kingdom mapmode and none showed "Kingdom Capital", but I might be stupid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dj_clawson posted:

How do I get the Duelist achievement without dying?

Win.

The rival system is fairly simple, but the best way to use it is to go Seduction and gently caress everybody's wife. This will accumulate rivals by the score, at which point you switch to War focus and kill them at the rate of one per year. It helps if you're Strong, a Brilliant Strategist or one of the other things that adds to Personal Combat score.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's a few good reasons to be aware of where your capital is - you can plot to revoke any counties located in your capital's duchy if they're owned by vassals. Your capital county also gets extra troops and maybe income (I'm not sure on the latter), so it's good to set up one with a ton of holdings that you personally control to apply the bonus to all of them. You'll get more troops out of controlling three castles in your capital county than you would controlling three separate counties. Plus it lets you use train troops/collect taxes on all of at once for an even bigger bonus.

This is sensible only if you don't enjoy the amusing idea of ruling the whole of Francia and Brittannia from the Faroe Islands, for example.

Also - ha! to whoever it was who suggested that I don't bother playing West Africans in the Canary Islands. I finally last night, by copping the Truce Breaker penalty as soon as the Pope decided there should be a Crusade for Seville, managed to take Marrakech from the Umayyads and hold it while I madly rushed around building Temples wherever I had space and burning down Aquileia and Orbetello three times. Grinding the extra MA I needed to reform the West African faith was scary as I was losing the MA I'd gained from previous County Conquests and I was terrified I'd keep bumping up against 49% and never getting anywhere. But it was fun to see Ireland once again declare a Holy War for Navarra and continue to annoy the crap out of the Umayyads who were also dealing with a revolt.

But I did it! After 313 years, I managed to reform the faith, and I can finally start Demanding Religious Conversions from the two Muslim Patrician families who've been constantly loving with me. Luckily, the fact that I reformed the faith and took Marrakech unlocked Jihads hopefully shouldn't matter that much to my position since there are a lot of places in Spain and Portugal held by Catholics, and Ireland owns the Holy Land. Now to Holy War for the remaining bits of the Kingdom of Mauretania, create the Empire of Mali and become Grand Prince. I know I should move my capital to Marrakech, but I did all this from the Canary Islands and that's where the bloody shield is going to stay.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can't move your capital as a republic anyways except for if you form the Byzantine Empire or the Roman Empire and do it from the intrigue decision menu. But that story owns.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Ah, yes, good point. Well, I'm glad I was going to keep the Canary Islands as my capital anyway.

I would've hated to try that as Mali. I think it was only because I was bringing in absurb amounts of cash as a Merchant Republic that I was able to put together the necessary manpower to take on the Umayyads. Only disappointing thing was that the West Africans only get one mercenary company. I could've hired five, Spirits drat it!

I just regret I didn't do it on Ironman, since that's basically how I've played it. I only used the Ruler Creator because I wanted to start out as Mande instead of having to hope I got the right people to educate my children into it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

dj_clawson posted:

How do I get the Duelist achievement without dying? Also I'm not clear on the "rival" system.
Be a zealous muslim (you can get zealous at the end of the astronomy scholarship chain) and look for the lowest-combat-rating decadent guys within diplomatic range. Helpfully, decadence itself gives them -1.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Volkerball posted:

You can't move your capital as a republic anyways except for if you form the Byzantine Empire or the Roman Empire and do it from the intrigue decision menu. But that story owns.

No, you can always move your capital to the capital of your primary title, even if you are a merchant republic.
Byzantine and Roman just give you another way to do it, but as I recall, the Roman Empire one is bugged such that it will turn you feudal, since it makes your primary title the barony.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Edison was a dick posted:

No, you can always move your capital to the capital of your primary title, even if you are a merchant republic.
Byzantine and Roman just give you another way to do it, but as I recall, the Roman Empire one is bugged such that it will turn you feudal, since it makes your primary title the barony.

Really? That's weird. Cool though. Rome is a lovely capital anyways, because the pope always fills up all its empty slots with temples really quickly with his infinite pope monies.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Really? That's weird. Cool though. Rome is a lovely capital anyways, because the pope always fills up all its empty slots with temples really quickly with his infinite pope monies.

In this game I'm in the county of Rome has only two Churches. There's one city, and the rest are Baronies. Two of which he gave to the Templars.

Mind you, this is the same game where I had this person as Pope, so who knows what's going on:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Coward posted:

This is sensible only if you don't enjoy the amusing idea of ruling the whole of Francia and Brittannia from the Faroe Islands, for example.

Also - ha! to whoever it was who suggested that I don't bother playing West Africans in the Canary Islands. I finally last night, by copping the Truce Breaker penalty as soon as the Pope decided there should be a Crusade for Seville, managed to take Marrakech from the Umayyads and hold it while I madly rushed around building Temples wherever I had space and burning down Aquileia and Orbetello three times. Grinding the extra MA I needed to reform the West African faith was scary as I was losing the MA I'd gained from previous County Conquests and I was terrified I'd keep bumping up against 49% and never getting anywhere. But it was fun to see Ireland once again declare a Holy War for Navarra and continue to annoy the crap out of the Umayyads who were also dealing with a revolt.

But I did it! After 313 years, I managed to reform the faith, and I can finally start Demanding Religious Conversions from the two Muslim Patrician families who've been constantly loving with me. Luckily, the fact that I reformed the faith and took Marrakech unlocked Jihads hopefully shouldn't matter that much to my position since there are a lot of places in Spain and Portugal held by Catholics, and Ireland owns the Holy Land. Now to Holy War for the remaining bits of the Kingdom of Mauretania, create the Empire of Mali and become Grand Prince. I know I should move my capital to Marrakech, but I did all this from the Canary Islands and that's where the bloody shield is going to stay.

Wait.

How did you turn into a merchant republic without reforming the faith?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
WtWSMS is now arguing about all the titular titles they now have. Stuff like Kingdom of France, duchy of Flanders and any other titles that exists after 769 AD. Maybe you guys shouldn't have decided to play from 400 to 1400. :downs:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

WtWSMS is now arguing about all the titular titles they now have. Stuff like Kingdom of France, duchy of Flanders and any other titles that exists after 769 AD. Maybe you guys shouldn't have decided to play from 400 to 1400. :downs:

Look, how else are they supposed to model the evolution of the Garamantian Empire to the modern nation of Libya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Look, how else are they supposed to model the evolution of the Garamantian Empire to the modern nation of Libya?

I want to see what traits Gaddaffi had.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 17, 2015

• Locked thread