Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Sard posted:

That's the secret special hammer bro. He just wham on the body, hitting more than if he kept chasing the head, and the monster can't stop drooling because of all the exhaust.

Okay maybe he could attack the head a little but exhausters are the unsung heroes of monhun.

This.

I don't main or frequently play with Hammer users (still LR, so I pub a lot). But, I just gave Hammer a shot a few times today and holy poo poo, exhaust is busted as hell. I just began to realize that bodyshots were more reliable and makes the monsters drool all over, meaning more bodyshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Randy Mythbuster posted:

Nope, High. Doing the hunt-a-thon and killing 2 per run so I can get the 8% drop chance from the mission as well. I've killed 20 so far which is pretty awful luck.

yea that sucks. make sure you're breaking the face and back and killing instead of capping

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Aw I like my Tetsu armor :( Still on LR and haven't felt any need to go online though.

How do I get all this Nintendo franchise gear? I downloaded a gift box that had Super Mushrooms but it looks like that stuff is for making Palico gear.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tower of druaga posted:

Hard to hit the head when some nerd with an IG or whatever is up there mashing away like there always is in every single group ever

The only reason I spend any time around the head as an IG, even when a monster is downed, is to harvest attack essence once. After that, it's straight to the tail or the next breakable piece or, failing that, somewhere I can punch while pushing up against the monster's "invisible wall." If there's one thing I don't like about IG, it's that silly dance that makes you constantly lunge forward.

C-Euro posted:

How do I get all this Nintendo franchise gear? I downloaded a gift box that had Super Mushrooms but it looks like that stuff is for making Palico gear.

It seems like you get a lot of the pass tickets from doing the DLC quests.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Aw I like my Tetsu armor :( Still on LR and haven't felt any need to go online though.

Tetsu armour is great, you don't need offensive skills in LR at all.

Go to your chamberlain cat in your room, or the DLC menu on the title screen, and download everytthing from in there. It gives you a whole bunch of hunts to do that reward the mats you need to make the fancy items.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

The White Dragon posted:

The only reason I spend any time around the head as an IG, even when a monster is downed, is to harvest attack essence once. After that, it's straight to the tail or the next breakable piece or, failing that, somewhere I can punch while pushing up against the monster's "invisible wall." If there's one thing I don't like about IG, it's that silly dance that makes you constantly lunge forward.

On the second cycle of your XXA or on the 3rd depending on the monster do the combo: X, X, A+Back. You do a backflip and land around the same spot you started the 3rd combo.

Also if you're hitting a downed monster that you know is going to stand back up, do X, X, A+Forward and you'll do the draw attack lunge forward and land next to the monster again and can continue your infinite combo from there. Positioning is key with the glaive combos.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Okay this Kushala X armor set is ludicrously powerful

holy gently caress i love this armor set

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

quote:

I was helping out my G2 buddy farm up some Zinogre parts last night.

I'm a Gold G, and was using my set of full Rebellion Z and maxed Dalamadur LS (far as it can be without DLC.)

These other two G2 hunters join, both in Regios X and glaive.

We hunt, and this same hunter mounts Zinogre three times, and fails the mount three for three.

I am absolutely MURDERING poor Zinogre (my Attack stat hit 1575 on white sharpness... with a longsword).

It tries to limp away... then I hear pinging, the other hunter put a trap. Ignore it and gut the Zinogre dead with a sweep, 4 minute 50 second hunt.

I go back to the Elder Hall and chat:

"Why did you just try to use a Shock Trap on a Zinogre"

"I have lots of shock traps I brought combos"

"You did what.... Zinogre absorbs electricity"

"This isn't my first time, I had MH3, I know what I'm doing"

quote:

Shock traps work on Zinogre just fine. They also charge him up, allowing you to snap him out of it for a free shiny drop.

quote:

you can shock trap a zinogre.

quote:

I could have sworn that I've captured Zin with shock traps before. I know that you can't shock trap him while he's raged, and that he does absorb electricity from it, but I didn't think he was completely immune to it.

I love this game and its community.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Haquer posted:

On the second cycle of your XXA or on the 3rd depending on the monster do the combo: X, X, A+Back. You do a backflip and land around the same spot you started the 3rd combo.

Also if you're hitting a downed monster that you know is going to stand back up, do X, X, A+Forward and you'll do the draw attack lunge forward and land next to the monster again and can continue your infinite combo from there. Positioning is key with the glaive combos.

This is good, yes. The backflip and forward slap are both fantastic moves.

As for the head and whatnot, I tend to only hang out there when there aren't other people going for it, so if there's a hammer-user around that generally means I'm only up there to get red and then go back to mounting/tail-slicing/whatevering the monster. It's generally a pretty weak target to slashing damage, so after the other stuff is broken I'll go for it when I can, but yeah, there's no reason for a glaive-user to hang out there most of the time.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Man I have completely forgotten how to fight Brachy. You go in for a swing and he's already behind you knocking you out or all around him is covered in loving slime.

So irritating.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I really need Seltas Queen Juice

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Haquer posted:

Looks like goons are closer to gamefaqs than we thought

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Does anyone have any advice for grinding Rust Shards or getting a specific desired weapon type? I've been grinding for 6+ hours just for a Rusted Hammer and I've had no luck...

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
A lot of people in that thread really hate Tetsu armour. My Tetsu armour lasted me all the way through high rank and it looks awesome if you're a girl. :colbert:

Makes me wonder why they go online at all if they're that spergy about other players.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 16, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Speaking of loving up mounting, how do you not gently caress up mounting? I can get on monsters easily enough, but as soon as I'm on the head on the mounting meter goes red and never seems to die down. I'm holding R to hang on but alas, I'm always thrown off.

Also three missions after lamenting the need for Gathering gems, I get a Talisman with Gathering+5. I hope that wasn't my one prayers-answered drop for this game.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 16, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Dogbutt posted:

Does anyone have any advice for grinding Rust Shards or getting a specific desired weapon type? I've been grinding for 6+ hours just for a Rusted Hammer and I've had no luck...

It's random. Pray to whatever deity, force of nature, or random idol you believe in.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

G-Prime posted:

It's random. Pray to whatever deity, force of nature, or random idol you believe in.

Oh goddamnit. Honestly I felt it was way less tedious in Unite but with the forced appraising after the quest ends this has become a nightmare...I guess my only question now is, is Volcano or Heaven's Peak better for grinding Rustshards?

Dogbutt fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 16, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of loving up mounting, how do you not gently caress up mounting? I can get on monsters easily enough, but as soon as I'm on the head on the mounting meter goes red and never seems to die down. I'm holding R to hang on but alas, I'm always thrown off.

Also three missions after lamenting the need for Gathering gems, I get a Talisman with Gathering+5. I hope that wasn't my one prayers-answered drop for this game.

Just hold R the whole mount, it doesn't drain stamina unless the monster is trying to hold you off

when the camera zooms in is when the game is trying to "Tell" you to mash x, do so (while still holding R)

as a matter of fact just hold R, always be holding R

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

C-Euro posted:

You can't press X at all while it's thrashing or roaring and it usually takes a second or two to "catch your grip" if you' tried to knife while it was doing a knockoff animation. If you're in multiplayer, it's some dumb rear end who needs to learn that hitting a mounted monster forces an auto-knockoff. You might also be running out of stamina.

The best advice I can give you is to memorize the camera cues: there's usually just one for when you're totally safe, and then it zooms out or changes angle right before the monster does something.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

While I support the "don't attack a mounted monster at all" ethos, it should be noted that you don't force a dismount just by hitting it. It happens if the monster flinches, which usually won't happen if you hit it a small handful of times.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

a stealth way to knock your friends off mounted monsters is throwing rocks :coal:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

While I support the "don't attack a mounted monster at all" ethos, it should be noted that you don't force a dismount just by hitting it. It happens if the monster flinches, which usually won't happen if you hit it a small handful of times.

*goes for red bug tag*
*flinches monster*

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dragon enthusiast posted:

*goes for red bug tag*
*flinches monster*

I have done this. I felt so bad for doing it. Stopped attacking monsters during mounts at all after that, even for easy tags; getting essences fro ma downed monster is easy enough anyway.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Celery Face posted:

A lot of people in that thread really hate Tetsu armour. My Tetsu armour lasted me all the way through high rank and it looks awesome if you're a girl. :colbert:

Makes me wonder why they go online at all if they're that spergy about other players.

It's just them being skill spergs. Tetsu is really good starting off in LR since with the +defence and +health makes it as durable as high-tier LR gear off the bat. HR/G rank it falls off (mostly because the extra +20 defence is less useful now that you're in the 200-400's for defence, and health is more or less useless with the kitchen) but I wouldn't go kicking someone for it.

Also I can't get my head around hating Evade+3 or healing items, I didn't realise there's a community in this game that wants honourable duals with dinosaurs :psyduck:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The White Dragon posted:

If you're in multiplayer, it's some dumb rear end who needs to learn that hitting a mounted monster forces an auto-knockoff.

this is technically important: it's not hitting, it's forcing a flinch animation

you can hit it all day while the monster is thrashing with a dude on it, but you can't force a flinch

you shouldn't hit it anyways because iirc any attack has a chance to force a flinch on the monster but if you're in the middle of charging a phial you should be safe to just charge and get out

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I'm fairly certain flinches only happen when you exceed the break threshold for that part, so if you flinched its head recently you could grab red without fear.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i have had a few seemingly random early mounting failures in singleplayer and am just now realizing it was probably my cats flinching the monster

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You also seem to autofail if the monster goes over terrain you can't enter, like lava. This is primarily important for things like Crimson Fatalis and Akantor on Ingle Isle; it is really frustrating to get thrown there because those giant assholes got too close to the edge of the land.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

loving hell, I have managed to avoid Monster Hunter Syndrome with everything I've fought so far but it is loving me hard on trying to get my Worn Switch Axe. Running gathering missions at Heaven's Mount in between actual missions to murder poo poo I have acquired:
-A Rusted Greatsword, two Rusted Swords and a Rusted Light Bowgun
-A Worn Longsword, Worn Sword, Worn Hunting Horn, two Worn Lances and a Worn Light Bowgun
- 49 Pawns, 33 Bishops, 24 Knights, 55 Rooks, 8 Queens, 8 Kings and 6 Dragon Talismans

Some of those Talismans have some crazy skills on them, I'll grant, but god dammit just give me my loving Switch Axe already.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

LornMarkus posted:

loving hell, I have managed to avoid Monster Hunter Syndrome with everything I've fought so far but it is loving me hard on trying to get my Worn Switch Axe. Running gathering missions at Heaven's Mount in between actual missions to murder poo poo I have acquired:
-A Rusted Greatsword, two Rusted Swords and a Rusted Light Bowgun
-A Worn Longsword, Worn Sword, Worn Hunting Horn, two Worn Lances and a Worn Light Bowgun
- 49 Pawns, 33 Bishops, 24 Knights, 55 Rooks, 8 Queens, 8 Kings and 6 Dragon Talismans

Some of those Talismans have some crazy skills on them, I'll grant, but god dammit just give me my loving Switch Axe already.

Welcome to Hell! Welcome to Hell! I heard Rust/Ancient Shards had something to do with the Charm Tables that are reset every time you boot the game up? So if you remember which Talismans you got and can find a table for 4U then go hog wild

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Toxxupation posted:

Just hold R the whole mount, it doesn't drain stamina unless the monster is trying to hold you off

when the camera zooms in is when the game is trying to "Tell" you to mash x, do so (while still holding R)

as a matter of fact just hold R, always be holding R

See, I'm always holding R and still getting bucked pretty quickly. I have found that I can attack while holding R, maybe that screws up my grip?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
When you hold R while mounting you're constantly losing stamina, if you run out of Stam during a mount you lose.

seriously guys, this minigame is NOT that complex.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pyronic posted:

When you hold R while mounting you're constantly losing stamina, if you run out of Stam during a mount you lose.

no, if you hold R and the monster skull icon is green you gain stamina even when stabbing. It only drains when you are "holding on" while the monster is flailing around.

Just hold R the whole time and mash X when the skull is green. Stop mashing x when the monster is doing something

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Attacking overrides the stamina drain, so you can just hold R constantly and attack during green monster face and your stamina will go back up.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Pyronic posted:

As a glaive user that has mounted thousands of times:

Hold R forever you stupid gently caress holy poo poo how hard is this

press X when the face is green gently caress how is this hard

Boom mount done

it's my 2 step guide on How To Get Good

While holding R and pressing X, X overrides R so you don't lose any stam ever other than the flailing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

holding r always drains stamina. green or red skull doesnt matter. attacking overrides the stamina drain, again green or red skull doesnt matter

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

When you're stabbing: watch the monster not the skull and stop after the camera zooms out or right before the monster lets out the roar. If you waited for the skull to go red you're too late

When you're holding on: watch the bar because sometimes it goes green halfway through a roar or before the animation ends or before the camera zooms back in and you can start stabbing away

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Also if you're a glaive user who likes to pretend the floor is lava, you might start the mount with less than full stamina which can cause the mount to be unwinnable sometimes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah, sometimes it depends on the monster. Some flying wyverns will have a period before their bucking off animation where you can just stab them freely (Raths, Gravios, Yians, etc.) and whenever they roar, halfway before it ends it'll be safe to stab as well. Taking advantage of these situations is the key to keeping up with the bitey head. Sometimes you just get screwed over by them constantly bucking and you running out of stamina or making a small mis-stab that brings them over the edge, it's nothing to get mad over.

Now, accidentally pressing Hunter Search and making it so your buttons stop registering, THAT'S something to get mad about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Anyone know how to pull out the sword in the stone at Sunsnug Isle? It's just sitting there...taunting me while I shoot Plesioth with the fishing machine over and over.

• Locked thread