Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Anatharon posted:

Even if they let you do dialogue you probably won't be able to use all the animations like people putting their hands up to surrender and whatnot.

I figured as much. I was saying more as a jab at the school shootings post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of the Hawaii sections. Like, setting the war and its the convenience store dude from the first game but... Is there something else that I'm missing?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sockser posted:

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of the Hawaii sections. Like, setting the war and its the convenience store dude from the first game but... Is there something else that I'm missing?

Things should become clearer once you finish them all.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly we'd be lucky if we even get dialogue options, but I hope we do. Same with custom VHS covers.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Things should become clearer once you finish them all.

I've finished the whole game and I still don't get it :saddowns:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Sockser posted:

It's literally backstory. Its point is that it's backstory... there's nothing else to get. You learn what happened to Beardy Guy prior to the first game.

Also it ties into why everybody's turning violent against the Russians and the snowball effect it has, and what all the violence ultimately leads to. It's world-building and thematically tied to the "message" of the game. Not entirely sure what the message is but there you go.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It also sets up Jacket as a former elite soldier, and reveals the origin of the masks, and probably 50 blessings as well, if the lieutenant is the one behind it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sockser posted:

Oh okay.

The events in Hawaii were the flashpoint for pretty much all of the series' main plotlines. The man Beard saves at the end of the Power Plant mission is Jacket, and Beard's later death in the bombing of San Francisco is what sends Jacket over the edge. The commanding officer of Beard's unit later became the founder of 50 Blessings, and the man responsible for killing the Russian and American presidents and setting off the nuking at the end. Most of the Fans can also be seen at the bar in the first Hawaii mission, and Evan is the guy who took Beard's and Jacket's photograph in the same scene.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

psychoJ posted:

I'm gonna make the first level of Doom.

I would play the hell out of that as a full game with sprite/sound swaps.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly, it feels like Evan almost has the same relationship towards jacket as the fans. They all obsess over him, but Evan focuses on the narrative, his story, while the fans focus on the ideology, and go vigilante. I'm guessing that's why Richard tells Evan during the NG+ scene that he represents the opposite of his book, as he means the book glorifies the violence of Jacket.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Remake zombies ate my neighbors

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I really hope that the map editor isn't tremendously underwhelming because I kinda look forward to playing Hotline Miami for 5000 hours!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sockser posted:

Remember the photo jacket let go of at the end of HM1? Same photo of him and beard-soldier after beard-soldier pulled him out of the power plant

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Oxxidation posted:

Oh okay.

The events in Hawaii were the flashpoint for pretty much all of the series' main plotlines. The man Beard saves at the end of the Power Plant mission is Jacket, and Beard's later death in the bombing of San Francisco is what sends Jacket over the edge. The commanding officer of Beard's unit later became the founder of 50 Blessings, and the man responsible for killing the Russian and American presidents and setting off the nuking at the end. Most of the Fans can also be seen at the bar in the first Hawaii mission, and Evan is the guy who took Beard's and Jacket's photograph in the same scene.

I haven't finished the Hawaii missions (that loving powerplant), but is the guy with the scarf in fact Jake? I know the game loves reusing its assets (Alex being a white version of the Henchman's girlfriend) so I couldn't really tell.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I haven't finished the Hawaii missions (that loving powerplant), but is the guy with the scarf in fact Jake? I know the game loves reusing its assets (Alex being a white version of the Henchman's girlfriend) so I couldn't really tell.

Nah, the fat soldier dude has grey eyes, Jake has green ones.

GLAAD trash bags fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 16, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Eaten by Tigers posted:

Nah, the fat soldier dude has grey eyes, Jake has green ones.

and a big fuckin' scar.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

It's a weird misdirect too. Like, I think you're supposed to make that connection, for some reason.

:tinfoil:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

It's a weird misdirect too. Like, I think you're supposed to make that connection, for some reason.

Probably because he's the only one of the unit who survives yet is never seen again

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something that bugs me about Evan, is that you HAVE to beat the first guy to death. Then Evan tries to get help (while obviously getting assaulted by a mob of thugs) but apparently forgets about it after he talks to Petrov. You can clear the second floor without knocking out any of his dudes too, so there's just a bunch of mobsters chilling or watching you and nobody thinks to bring up how he got in. I guess the guard was just the guy nobody liked. :shrug:

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I'd disagree but Jake specifically does mention that 'many of us have millitary experience'.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Probably because he's the only one of the unit who survives yet is never seen again

Other then a guy in the comic who MIGHT be Daniel there's nothing to indicate he survived. I assumed he died trying to save Barnes.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Sockser posted:

I think I know the part you don't get...

This is an alternative history of the world. There wasn't a cold war. Russia straight up invaded Hawaii. That's why so much poo poo is weird in this world. It's not our universe. Think of it the same way that the Metal Gear Solid series brings up poo poo that actually happened and mixes it with it's own insane universe of targeted superbugs, gigantic mechs, and cloning.

EDIT:

Oh, yeah, and about the level editor stuff...

Even if the level editor only allows so much, I'm pretty sure there will be a way to add poo poo in just like with Portal 2's level editor, and the SDK. I mean this game is made in Game Maker after all, I'm sure there will be a way with Game Maker to add in those special animations and stuff if that already isn't an option.

I suspect the mods for this game are going to be a mixture of people doing dumb poo poo, people doing okay poo poo, and people doing amazing poo poo. I can't wait to see what happens next.

I just really hope every other loving new level for this game isn't called "Hotline Miami 3." Get creative nerds.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 16, 2015

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

What a nihilistic ending. Not very fun or interesting but maybe thats the point.

Enjoyed the ride to get there, though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished the game on Normal difficulty today because I was just so sick of skimming past all the spoiler tags. Last level is a mind gently caress.

Now that I'm all jacked up from playing hours of HLM2, I'm going through Hard Mode and so far I'm doing twice as good as I was on Normal. I'm sure that'll change soon enough. Out of curiosity I went back to play a few levels I licked bag at in HLM1 and I'm doing even better at it now than I did the second time I took a repeat crack at it.

I seriously got gud. Not S rank gud, but gud.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Phil Niekro posted:

What a nihilistic ending. Not very fun or interesting but maybe thats the point.

Enjoyed the ride to get there, though.

It's a happy ending. The entire series is about death, it's the only way it could have ended. Richard's final comment of "Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds" undermines every murder in the series so far. Everyone's dead, but death isn't a bad thing.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

It's a happy ending. The entire series is about death, it's the only way it could have ended. Richard's final comment of "Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds" undermines every murder in the series so far. Everyone's dead, but death isn't a bad thing.

You're right, but I wouldnt call it a happy ending.

Everything being nuked and none of the characters arcs making any difference sends this message that death is inevitable and nothing you do will ever matter. Although Richard says "thats okay" its a cold comfort.

I dont fault the creators although I'm surprised by the tone they decided to take.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Phil Niekro posted:

Everything being nuked and none of the characters arcs making any difference sends this message that death is inevitable and nothing you do will ever matter. Although Richard says "thats okay" its a cold comfort.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The Fans' destructive tendencies wrap back around them, The Son's high-flying lifestyle eventually reaches its violent nadir, The Writer either gets back with his family or finally abandons them for his book, The Actor is killed on set, Richter gets to escape to Hawaii and give his mom a better life.

The problem with HM2's plot is that it explains away all of the mystery that made the first game fun, with the help of some seriously stupid retcons - not that its canon doesn't make sense, or whatever.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Oh okay.

Oh. OH.

I did not put together that that dude was jacket and the photographer was Evan and

I guess I need to play both games again.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I think too many video games leave things ambiguous because they are written by bad writers, so I enjoy how HLM2 neatly ties everything up.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Geight posted:

I think too many video games leave things ambiguous because they are written by bad writers, so I enjoy how HLM2 neatly ties everything up.

Agreed. And with the level editor we can effectively play hotline miami infinity, so I'm glad they wrapped everything up fairly well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When the level editor comes out, if it's not possible to import music, they should just sell DLC for it that's nothing but song packs.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

When the level editor comes out, if it's not possible to import music, they should just sell DLC for it that's nothing but song packs.

This is the worst idea because I would unabashedly pay top dollar for it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I really like how the Writer's decisions lead to what happens in the ending.

If he ignores his wife and goes back to writing his book, the ending montage shows him at the typewriter, right in front of the window. He then stands up, presumably looking out the window and seeing the blast coming right at him. His whole book was pointless. He alienated his family and split from his wife just so he could work on this book that will never be finished and he will die unfulfilled and alone, knowing in his final seconds what he squandered.

On the other hand, if he reconnects with his wife, the ending shows him eating with his family. Yes, they all die, but they die together and they don't appear to see it coming. If you're going to die in the apocalypse, that's probably the best way to go about it.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

TheJoker138 posted:

I so hope we can just import our own music... I have so much retrowave and ambient...

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Whoever said this plays like a Hotline Miami romhack was right on, haha. On one hand, it's still fun, but on the other, it's sort of the worst thing a sequel can do-- reveal weaknesses in the original. Like it makes me think the core game is just too sloppy to benefit from playing at the limits of its mechanics like this. Maybe I'll feel different when I finish it, but right now i just did that loving boat level and i'm gonna need a break.

I like how nihilistic the story is. That part with the guy who tries to quit the mob is such a bummer. It's one of the truest-feeling treatments of violence in a game-- there's no point, even if there's a "reason" for it it's dwarfed by the horror of the act. So that's cool

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

swamp waste posted:

Whoever said this plays like a Hotline Miami romhack was right on, haha. On one hand, it's still fun, but on the other, it's sort of the worst thing a sequel can do-- reveal weaknesses in the original. Like it makes me think the core game is just too sloppy to benefit from playing at the limits of its mechanics like this. Maybe I'll feel different when I finish it, but right now i just did that loving boat level and i'm gonna need a break.

I like how nihilistic the story is. That part with the guy who tries to quit the mob is such a bummer. It's one of the truest-feeling treatments of violence in a game-- there's no point, even if there's a "reason" for it it's dwarfed by the horror of the act. So that's cool

The general consensus is the boat is the low point, so buck up buddy! There's more good times to be had yet.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Geight posted:

Ambiguity is not the hallmark of a bad writer.

Substituting lore for actual content usually is, though.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

My old writing teacher taught me that killing all of the characters at the end of a story was a mark of a bad writer. Usually it meant you had written yourself into a corner and needed to find a way to create enough change so you could end the story.

It kind of works here but I can't help feeling like the advice is dead on.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The one thing that was never answered that I wish it was: What on Earth was in that briefcase from The Metro?

Your way works too posted:

My old writing teacher taught me that killing all of the characters at the end of a story was a mark of a bad writer. Usually it meant you had written yourself into a corner and needed to find a way to create enough change so you could end the story.

:agreed:

It's thematically appropriate (enjoy things while you can, everything ends eventually) but not great as a story because there's loose ends everywhere.

Skunkrocker posted:

I so hope we can just import our own music... I have so much retrowave and ambient...

Previously they said they couldn't.

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The Fans' destructive tendencies wrap back around them, The Son's high-flying lifestyle eventually reaches its violent nadir, The Writer either gets back with his family or finally abandons them for his book, The Actor is killed on set, Richter gets to escape to Hawaii and give his mom a better life.

The problem with HM2's plot is that it explains away all of the mystery that made the first game fun, with the help of some seriously stupid retcons - not that its canon doesn't make sense, or whatever.

Don't forget Manny is paralyzed by the realization he's the Miami Mutilator and was killing for a subconscious lust for fame so he locks himself in his apartment until the end comes. Except nobody actually cares.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 16, 2015

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Your way works too posted:

Everyones story p much concludes tho

Fans are dead
Evan wrote his book or reunited w the fam
Pardo is an insane wreck
Actor is dead
Beard is dead
Richter is at peace and w his mom
The son jumped off the building, tying up the last thread and leading to the nuke scene

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

Agreed. I still like the story I can't help but feel like the ending is a bit lazy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

Fans are dead
Evan wrote his book or reunited w the fam
Pardo is an insane wreck
Actor is dead
Beard is dead
Richter is at peace and w his mom
The son jumped off the building, tying up the last thread and leading to the nuke scene

While it technically does that it still leaves questions.

Like how did Tony get Jacket's mask? How did they start on the idea in the first place? (They MIGHT be ex-millitary... But then you'd think they'd be a shoe-in for 50 Blessings? You could say they aren't patriotic enough to sign up for 50 Blessings but Alex and Ash clearly care enough about it to protest outside of the courthouse. Also I feel like the Fans getting their van fixed up at a chop shop and then the Henchman shooting up a chop shop was supposed to lead into something, unless it was just supposed to be a red herring. Either way they stumble onto a criminal conspiracy yet just forget about it to go shoot up Russians instead, which seemed silly.

I kinda wonder why Pardo wanted to go talk to The Son anyways.

• Locked thread