Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

So who else tensed up during that entire scene right up to "Welcome to Charleston"?

nooneofconsequence posted:

How did Vane get to Charleston without a ship? :confused:

I'm guessing he still has Ned Lowe's ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Haven't watched today's episode, but Vane totally murked Lowes crew, or most of them.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Ha Abigail has eyes for Billy Guns and Vane really knows how to throw a party.

We're all hot for Billy forearms girl it's ok :allears:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Roman Reigns posted:

So who else tensed up during that entire scene right up to "Welcome to Charleston"?

I'm guessing he still has Ned Lowe's ship.

That's the ship that's still anchored in Nassau. His original ship sunk.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Captain Vane's crew are Navy SEALs

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Vane got so mad he levelled up to Billy strength and swam that loving distance.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Rocksicles posted:

Captain Vane's crew are Navy SEALs

So they used stealth Black hawk helicopters then?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cat Hatter posted:

So they used stealth Black hawk helicopters then?

It's a Michael Bay production, they had to sneak them in somewhere.

(Though I have to say, this show is way better than I ever expected something with his name attached to be.)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don't know for sure, but I imagine it's mostly just to put his name on the credits.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
NEXT ITEM!

*stomp stomp*

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
Who was the dude on the cross at Vane's fortress? I think I'm missing it.

Edit: vvv dammit. Good call I should've seen that.

Yeet fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 16, 2015

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeet posted:

Who was the dude on the cross at Vane's fortress? I think I'm missing it.

Eleanor Guthrie's father. It was a little confusing to me until the end of the letter.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He got off the buggy when the horses stopped in the previous episode, and all Vanes men were standing there in the fog.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're making Vane too calculating and smart I think. It's getting a little bit silly.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like underhanded conniving Vane. Think Silver will take control of the situation, stop the attack by Vane, and then start to think of his own captaincy? We know he's gonna be a quartermaster sooner or later.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I want to know how Vane not only convinced all those guys not to kill him, but also to swim 500 miles to Charleston.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like underhanded conniving Vane. Think Silver will take control of the situation, stop the attack by Vane, and then start to think of his own captaincy? We know he's gonna be a quartermaster sooner or later.

Billy is the quartermaster in Treasure Island.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
That was a decent episode. Like most folks, though, I am waiting for my big ship battle.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Rocksicles posted:

He got off the buggy when the horses stopped in the previous episode, and all Vanes men were standing there in the fog.

I completely forgot about that until you mentioned it, and the elder Guthrie is too nondescript for me to remember what he looks like until I figure out his identity from context. Maybe Father Guthrie had a boat that Vane used?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Billy is the quartermaster in Treasure Island.

John silver was quartermaster for Flint though

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The use of Richard Guthrie was to cement Vane as now being totally a villain. When Eleanor took Abigail that's what drove him finally over the edge, and the crucifixtion is just to make it clear to Eleanor and the audience that there is no loving going back now, and it's at least partially her fault.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Maybe they killed him then rode his carriage to Charleston???

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That'd be a hell of a carriage. Black Sails Chitty Chitty Bang Bang crossover time.

I now genuinely want this to happen.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

That's the ship that's still anchored in Nassau. His original ship sunk.

Nassau doesn't operate in a vacuum, there are other islands where they could have commandeered a schooner or the like. My problem is they managed to make it to Charleston before the Man'o'War did.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Nassau doesn't operate in a vacuum, there are other islands where they could have commandeered a schooner or the like. My problem is they managed to make it to Charleston before the Man'o'War did.

Shouldn't the Man'o'war be significantly slower the average vessel since it's made for battle instead of ferrying cargo? :confused:

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Xoidanor posted:

Shouldn't the Man'o'war be significantly slower the average vessel since it's made for battle instead of ferrying cargo? :confused:

Nah, it'd probably be faster than a smaller vessel, but not as maneuverable. As sailing ships get bigger they can put on more sails, and they're length to width ratio is better for higher speeds.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He sent the majority of his force there ahead of time, but that doesn't explain how he got there so quick. Maybe he just bit the bullet and took a short notice flight. Those can be expensive though.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
He just grumbled with his deep voice and a wormhole appeared and he traveled through it to Charlestown.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

ElBrak posted:

Nah, it'd probably be faster than a smaller vessel, but not as maneuverable. As sailing ships get bigger they can put on more sails, and they're length to width ratio is better for higher speeds.

Nope, those thing were slow as gently caress, cruising speed was about 9 knots. A sloop would do about 12.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Flint sent his sniper team back to Florida on a row boat with a sail, to watch over the gold.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Flatscan posted:

Nope, those thing were slow as gently caress, cruising speed was about 9 knots. A sloop would do about 12.

It really depends very strongly on the LWR of the ships in question, the amount of wind, and the area of sail. What size slopp with what conditions?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The type of ship depicted in Black Sails are heavy keeled displacement hull ships. In these ships, maximum speed generally correlates directly with length at the waterline because this determines the size of wave the hull can sit within (the wave created by the ship). The length of this wave correlates directly with its speed:

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/technical/hullspeed/hullspeed.htm

So as a general rule larger, longer ships will be faster over the long run than shorter ones. These ships can go faster than a wave while surfing down the face of a giant wave, for instance, but in general the displacement issue determines the maximum practical speed.

This does not speak to maneuverability of course.

Of course, some boats are designed to be able to hydroplane or skim across multiple waves but this is generally not true of the ships being discussed here.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
I think the real reason Vane got there so quickly is through the magic of TV fiction and not through any kind of long thought out process the writers went through where they calculated the most likely routes of the lineship and vane's crew while taking into consideration draught, length, winds, the speed of an unladen African swallow, or ocean currents?

But since we're being silly... Vane and his men prolly could have just grabbed a little ship or a bunch of skiff's and sailed right up the coast whereas Flint maybe had to swing out to sea a little bit to avoid the Floridian coast in his stolen Spanish ship of the line so as not draw the ire of Spanish patrols and still further stayed out at sea while he sailed through the Carolina territorial waters of the governor who's got a no-tolerance policy towards pirates and whose patrol ships probably would fire on him being spanish or pirate because the gently caress are the Spanish violating English waters during a truce from war?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everything is going #TeamRackham's way :smug:

It was great to see Jonh's face when he realized how much power he had over the crew. It's clear he became aware that he could very well lead a pirate ship right there.

Only two episodes left? That sucks :(

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is this like a new GBS/FYAD joke or something? I've been seeing people use this garbage for a few weeks now and I just don't get it.
It's a "not a native speaker and the spell checker didn't notice any spelling mistake" thing :v:

Flatscan posted:

But a sloop was super small and only appeared later on (this is 17\early 18th right?)

SeaWolf posted:

I think the real reason Vane got there so quickly is through the magic of TV fiction and not through any kind of long thought out process the writers went through where they calculated the most likely routes of the lineship and vane's crew while taking into consideration draught, length, winds, the speed of an unladen African swallow, or ocean currents?
I don't think anyone's demanding to see Vane's charter plans but it is a bit weird how Vane abandoned the fort, killed Eleanor's father and crucified his corpse and then followed Flynt's man-o-war by swimming. It's entirely possible that they simply sneaked immediately after they lost the hostage and stole a fast ship and have been waiting for Flynt, but it felt way too weird and badly explained.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Mans posted:

But a sloop was super small and only appeared later on (this is 17\early 18th right?)
lots of pirates during the golden age started out with sloops and built a fleet around em, so they were definitely around and popular

Mans posted:

I don't think anyone's demanding to see Vane's charter plans but it is a bit weird how Vane abandoned the fort, killed Eleanor's father and crucified his corpse and then followed Flynt's man-o-war by swimming. It's entirely possible that they simply sneaked immediately after they lost the hostage and stole a fast ship and have been waiting for Flynt, but it felt way too weird and badly explained.

I dunno, after Eleanor left Vane to fend for himself I'm sure he figured he had no choice but to make a quick and highly charismatic appeal to the men he's only holding together through the promise of riches and not having to sail around the Caribbean to which he promptly convinces them to sail through the Caribbean that commanding a massive ship of the line would be only slightly more work than commanding a fort and collecting tribute. They went and made an example out of Mr. Guthrie and then navy SEAL'd themselves up the southeast coast. Maybe the promise of a 100 gun monster is enough to convince those men that it wouldn't be all to much work to get ships to surrender their plunder because as we all know from last seasons finale 100 guns is loving awesome at destroying EVERYTHING

Having said that, I'm pretty sure Vane's gonna get the ship because in Treasure Island Captain Flint is still known as commanding The Walrus, not the loving awesome 100 gun stolen ship of the line. But at least he gets to keep the coat.

Or maybe no one gets it at all because Lord Ashe is tired of pirates bickering and just sinks the loving thing.

SeaWolf fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 19, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Walrus sunk.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The Walrus sunk.

no way dude, ranger sunk. Walrus is clearly beached a ways away and heavily damaged from the Urca gold

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anyway, pirates regularly changed their ship names.

Charles Vane had more than 1 called the Ranger.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

When the soldiers were kicking Flint I couldn't help but think, "No, not the coat. :ohdear:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
When was it expressed that Vane was there ahead of Flint? My understanding was the American asked Flint if he was Vane, implying Vane hadn't arrived yet?

• Locked thread