Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nobody died, no vehicles permanently destroyed. We did hydrolock one 4.0L in a mud puddle (the big black muddy one in the pics below - I believe this is Astonishing Wang's non-poster friend), and I did lose the ability to start my car late in the day. (tuna, you were right - cleaned the corrosion off, it's fine now).

Pics! (Other people took more, I'm sure they'll be up eventually!):

Honey Badger don't give a gently caress (about getting high-centered).

Astonishing Wang's Jeep on the first / most major obstacle.

This was the first time my girlfriend had ever been offroading. I, of course, took advantage of the first opportunity to do so and got the Jeep teeter-tottering. (She took it quite well.)

Kastivich's really, really clean TJ Rubicon.

... gettin' that three wheel motion!

Me articulating, with tuna & TheRoyalNonesuch observing someone doing something more interesting.

I like making faces.

Astonishing Wang took a couple of tries to do this, and I am very sad that I didn't get a single picture of him three-wheeling up.

(Sorry for the rear end, whatever, get over it) Me fixing my fender after some incidental contact with a rock. And, oh, nature, or whatever.

Really amazing views from up here!

More nature!

In my opinion, at least, this was a very fun trip, and these guys are all great to wheel with! Can't wait to do it again. And next time, I'll count Jeeps better. (Sorry, BoostCreep.)

As mentioned, the Honey Badger did hydrolock in a deeper-than-thought mud puddle, and we had a fun break in the late morning where we pulled plugs on a 4.0, purged it out (someone got an amazing video of this, and better post it!), then got it running again. He was getting Cyl 6 misfires after that, but it seems like it was probably due to the completely buggered spark plug, so hopefully a plug change is all he'll need.

... and now I'll be keeping a set of extra plugs in the Jeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

^^ Awesome!

The early play area where we could drive up and down a small hill with perfect flexing ruts:

Everyone in a line just before we got to the gatekeeper section of the hard part:

In front of us looked like this:

We didn't capture most people through this because getting up & down this section was almost like climbing a mountain, but here is what a lot of the rutted section is like. It's a lot scarier in the drivers seat:

Astonishing Wang navigating some more treacherous landscape:

Krakkles aiming at the sky, probably comprehending what is in fact the worst that could happen:

Kastivich getting that horrible feeling when you're leaning 35 degrees to the side:

Then Honey Badger died in a small puddle because it don't give a gently caress (except about puddles, spark plugs, deluxe yellow engine bay trim, waterproof taquitos). I wonder how that happened? Oh:

Looking proud of himself:

Extreme rescue operation with Astonishing Wang wading in the pisswater:

A good dogge:

This was the exact moment we all got sunburn:

Just Do It Do Not:

BoostCreep bobsledding down some typical Cleghorn bullshit:

It was a really fun trip! Minimal damage and perfect weather/scenery.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't know what it's like to go wheeling in a place that isn't a rain forest. Vancouver is rocks and roots. Alberta is evil mud. That looks like pure awesome. Like, when you break parts you don't need an excavator to find the pieces.

Also, how astonishing was his wang ?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

astonishing wang has a great plate for that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Astonishing Wang took a couple of tries to do this, and I am very sad that I didn't get a single picture of him three-wheeling up.

Wouldn't the easier route be to line up a lot further right?

tuna posted:

BoostCreep bobsledding down some typical Cleghorn bullshit:

WJ supremacy.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes, generally you want to straddle vees.

That's ... not really his style, though.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I was on the highway early last Saturday morning, running my E46 BMW at speed in the fast lane when I came up fast on an ugly blue Jeep hogging the road - I honked wildly, but he failed to yield and I noted a nasty Death Proof decal on his hood... a sure sign of a freak. I blew past him as his stupid 4.0 bogged down on a slight uphill grade, but he caught up as I was refueling at a Shell station - I tried to escape, but he pinned me in with some other ugly 4x4s and after some negotiation, I agreed to to ride along under the condition that I photographed him and his group being idiots on a old dirt road a mile away. My own Jeep was sidelined with a blown freeze-plug, but they seemed to understand and offered beers - why not?

Tuna

Astonishing Wang

Boostcreep

Kastevich

Krakkles

Pictures of the most excellent Honey Badger & assorted Stupid Jeep People

Full album right this way. I tried to get the shots looking right on the first cursory pass, but if any of the participants has a special request let me know and I'll be glad to email you a fullres edit (the album is at 150dpi).

Shoutouts:
Astonishing Wang - serious thanks for letting me ride along and slap GoPro mounts all over your jeep - footage looks good, coming soon :siren:
Krakkles - Award for sickest bespoke bumpers, Snap-On air hose and organizing it all
Boostcreep - Award for finessing a largely-stock WJ through with the rest of the trail setups
Tuna - The Guy Who Rescued The Gnarliest Rig
Everyone Else - enduring hydrolock in the middle of a desert during a historic drought

IOwnCalculus posted:

Cleghorn = no mods no masters, throttle rules mmkay? (we realized late and that drat right side was extremely slippery)

jonathan posted:

Also, how astonishing was his wang ?

:wink:

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 16, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I was on the highway early last Saturday morning, running my E46 BMW at speed in the fast lane when I came up fast on an ugly blue Jeep hogging the road - I honked wildly, but he failed to yield and I noted a nasty Death Proof decal on his hood... a sure sign of a freak. I blew past him as his stupid 4.0 bogged down on a slight uphill grade, but he caught up as I was refueling at a Shell station - I tried to escape, but he pinned me in with some other ugly 4x4s and after some negotiation, I agreed to to ride along under the condition that I photographed him and his group being idiots on a old dirt road a mile away. My own Jeep was sidelined with a blown freeze-plug, but they seemed to understand and offered beers - why not?
Dude! These shots are great. I love it!

Thank you for taking all of these - I have a few new desktop backgrounds now :D

I did forget to mention that some rear end in a top hat in a BMW was honking at me in the morning. I forgot all about it in the fun!

With 4.10s, the 4.0 isn't actually the problem. It'll hold 80 up most hills fine. It's the goddamnmuthafuckin driveshaft.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I loving hate myself for not driving down. :reject:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

I loving hate myself for not driving down. :reject:
I think all of us are thinking we do this again soon, so remember that feeling when one of us posts again!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeah in a month or so I'll be able to ride the tractor down. Right now newwwwp.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

WJ supremacy.

I was honestly pretty shocked with what I was able to do with the WJ. I only took two bypasses where it was obvious the 31" (245/75r16) AT tires wouldn't be big enough to get over some of the larger rocks. Otherwise the WJ just rolled along with everyone else. I just needed to go a ~tad~ slower than the TJ with lockers and 37" muds. My sliders definitely paid for themselves though. Both have some nice gouges front to back, and I got some nice new pinstripes to go along with them.

Boostcreep - Award for finessing a largely-stock WJ through with the rest of the trail setups

Amazing photos!

I'm giving most of the finessing credits to the quadra-drive. I pretty much pointed the Jeep and they took care of the rest.

Videos:

Un-hydrolocking Honey Badger's 4.0L
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeG8lol8kRw

Honey Badger on the first obstacle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ivKiaYW2r4

Tuna on the first obstacle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_xGJ62aHr8

The first 20 seconds of Krakkles climbing before I realized he might need a spot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UiXcClmnu4

I'm a bit embarrassed showing my iphone pics after the professional photographers, but here ya go anyway.

This doesn't look all that impressive, but I'm still shocked the WJ walked right up this without much trouble. Barely any wheel spin until the very top.

Everyone airing up at the end.

My only damage, where it belongs.

Thanks to everyone for a great time, and hopefully we'll be able to do it again soon.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Krakkles getting a bit close to a wall.

More WJ love.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Wheeling in the desert has become one of my bucket list items.

It's funny because I lived in the desert for 5 years and didn't never did because I didn't get into wheeling until 2 years after I moved back to new England.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Looks like an awesome trip!

I hate to be a wet blanket (:haw:) but he should start shopping for a spare motor. It looks like he had the engine turning pretty fast when he drowned it, there is almost no way he didn't kink a couple rods pulling that stunt. If it's otherwise in good condition, get a head gasket, new pistons, rings, wristpins, rod bearings, and rods and drop em in before it lets one loose and goes all Alien vs Predator on the block.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I didn't get a whole lot of pictures, but I should have some cool dashcam footage pretty soon!

It was nice to meet everyone - I wouldn't hesitate to 'froad with you guys again!

Here's the air-down spot

Dumb wet motor

Back in action

This thing impressed the heck outta me - definitely a good move getting those sliders put on before the trip! Great driving!

kastein posted:

Looks like an awesome trip!

I hate to be a wet blanket (:haw:) but he should start shopping for a spare motor. It looks like he had the engine turning pretty fast when he drowned it, there is almost no way he didn't kink a couple rods pulling that stunt. If it's otherwise in good condition, get a head gasket, new pistons, rings, wristpins, rod bearings, and rods and drop em in before it lets one loose and goes all Alien vs Predator on the block.

They don't make it back from something like that huh? That's a bummer. We told him to definitely go get the oil changed, but I didn't have anything else to tell him :( He went to Jiffy lube but they didn't have a funnel small enough to fill through the dipstick. What kind of oil change place doesn't have a million of every size funnel?!

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 16, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Yes, generally you want to straddle vees.

That's ... not really his style, though.

I'm still figuring this whole "offroad" thing out so I'm just making sure I'm not missing something. I do realize that sometimes "harder because I can" is an option here :)

BoostCreep posted:

I was honestly pretty shocked with what I was able to do with the WJ. I only took two bypasses where it was obvious the 31" (245/75r16) AT tires wouldn't be big enough to get over some of the larger rocks. Otherwise the WJ just rolled along with everyone else. I just needed to go a ~tad~ slower than the TJ with lockers and 37" muds. My sliders definitely paid for themselves though. Both have some nice gouges front to back, and I got some nice new pinstripes to go along with them.

My vacation pretty solidly wiped out my lift funds but yeah I think sliders are going to be a must-have for the WJ - they'll gain me some clearance that I've lost with the terrible chrome step bars. They'll also offer some protection for poo poo that I can't avoid dragging on without stepping up to $Texas lift kits and big-for-a-WJ tire sizes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The oil cap broke in half like usual I guess? A pair of channel locks usually takes the bottom half out pretty nicely, I must have done that a hundred times at the quicklube I used to work at. We stocked new oil caps and would usually give people a new one for free if it wasn't obviously broken when they arrived, happy customers are better than mad ones even if it's a lovely design and breaking it wasn't our fault.

Depends on how fast the motor was turning when it came to a sudden stop. I lucked out on mine, it was barely over idle and throttle was almost completely closed when it locked. It has lovely oil pressure (had it before though) and a slight tap at idle so I am pretty sure it crushed a rod bearing regardless. If you were turning any serious RPMs or the throttle was open basically at all, it's likely just a matter of time, the stock rods are cast iron and do NOT tolerate being bent very well as a result.

My first action would be buy a new rear main seal (let's face it, it's a 4.0, it needs one anyways) and a Felpro blue silicone oil pan gasket, drop the pan, take a close look at the rods from below. If they don't have visible bends to them, maybe run it for a while, if they have any visible bend, replace immediately. I would recommend replacing the rod bearings at the same time since you're in there and reusing those is ghetto as hell, and replacing wristpins would be a great idea because they just got a hell of a shear load applied to them. Stock pistons are cast aluminum, so they really don't tolerate being bent or having extremely sudden shock loads applied to them either. So at that point it's basically everything you would replace in an inframe "power pack" replacement on an OTR truck motor except for the cylinder since those are part of the block on a 4.0.

Only thing is getting the rings to seat since the bores are already polished by the old ones... if you run a hone through it, be very careful to barely break the glaze and make sure to keep the honing debris from getting onto the main bearings, crank throw, oiling hole, etc. Flush everything super thoroughly and then install the new piston/rod/etc.

Hopefully it didn't kink any rods but from the size of that splash and how much water came out, I'm guessing he's sitting on a ticking time bomb.

If it's a 99 down TJ, ignore everything I just said, go out and buy the cheapest gutter trash XJ/MJ/ZJ shortblock 4.0 you can find that you can hear run before purchase, slap his head on it with a new head gasket and dump it in. You'll come out way ahead of buying new pistons, rings, wristpins, rods, and bearings most likely.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm still figuring this whole "offroad" thing out so I'm just making sure I'm not missing something. I do realize that sometimes "harder because I can" is an option here :)

Keeping your tires high is usually the best way to get over anything, but I like to ride the ruts sometimes. That one was fun - the area where I was getting stuck was really soft, I kept trying to get my tire up higher on the right and I kept sliding back down into the same hole. It was like pushups for my jeep.

IOwnCalculus posted:

My vacation pretty solidly wiped out my lift funds but yeah I think sliders are going to be a must-have for the WJ - they'll gain me some clearance that I've lost with the terrible chrome step bars. They'll also offer some protection for poo poo that I can't avoid dragging on without stepping up to $Texas lift kits and big-for-a-WJ tire sizes.

I'm sure Boostcreep will have some good advice about WJ kits - his did really well from all accounts, and the sliders held up great!

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

This thing impressed the heck outta me - definitely a good move getting those sliders put on before the trip! Great driving!

Being at the end of the group I got a good view of the WJ in action. It did really well and reminds me that I don't need to go to 35"+ to do most trails as long as you are sensible about your lines.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't worry about figuring out the "offroad" thing. This was only my second time really offroading and I did fine. Just know where your tires are and roughly how angled your axles are before pressing on to the next obstacle and go slow.

If you decide to get sliders, the best deal for the WJ are the JCR's at $409 shipped. I have two spacers that I didn't use that I can send you to avoid the headache I had to deal with. For all the annoyances installing them, they performed great. No complaints and they look nice.

And the IRO 3" lift is awesome. Affordable even with the Bilstein shocks and you get lots of flex. I was super impressed.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Astonishing Wang

I didn't expect to get vertigo scrolling through an off-road outing. :eyepop:

bitchin pics

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I didn't expect to get vertigo scrolling through an off-road outing. :eyepop:

bitchin pics

I reckon. Holy hell that looks steep / high.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It wasn't that steep - the photo makes it look WAY scarier than it was. Royal Nonesuch should submit some of those photos to jeep magazines, that place was just awesome views all the way around.

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014
just bought this for 3000, good condition, biggest concern is a kind-of rusty frame, but hopefully i can pay some craigslist mechanic to clean it up and weld a shitload of reinforcement on it.

:siren: I'M A loving IDIOT WHO IS TOO STUPID TO LISTEN TO GOOD ADVICE ON HOW TO POST :siren:

plan is to hate-gently caress it in to a combination of the 2 modded runners below... Will post progress pics as i go along.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You'll probably want to host that image from somewhere that isn't Craigslist.

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014

Safety Dance posted:

You'll probably want to host that image from somewhere that isn't Craigslist.

are you sure??

I've been on several 4x4 forums over the past few weeks, and hosting images in terrible places like photobucket or god-knows-where seems to be part of the 4x4 culture.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just host it using file://C:\Windowsxp\jeffsdownloads\radforerunner.jpg

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

BCBUDDHA posted:

are you sure??

I've been on several 4x4 forums over the past few weeks, and hosting images in terrible places like photobucket or god-knows-where seems to be part of the 4x4 culture.

Craigslist is going to delete the image sooner or later. Throw it in Imgur if you want your post to make sense in a week.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

BCBUDDHA posted:

are you sure??

Just make sure to post like 15 times with a variety of badly broken markup, mispasted links, wrong URLs, backslashes substituted for forward slashes, file hosted on local machine, etc before finally getting it right, you will fit in perfectly on 4x4 forums

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014

BCBUDDHA posted:

just bought this for 3000, good condition, biggest concern is a kind-of rusty frame, but hopefully i can pay some craigslist mechanic to clean it up and weld a shitload of reinforcement on it.

:siren: I'M A loving IDIOT WHO IS TOO STUPID TO LISTEN TO GOOD ADVICE ON HOW TO POST :siren:

plan is to hate-gently caress it in to a combination of the 2 modded runners below... Will post progress pics as i go along.

:siren: YEP, I'M STILL A loving IDIOT :siren:
painted the flares with bedliner this afternoon, next step is the lift kit, big tires and getting a custom made plate bumper, im hoping to do the next 3 mods under 3-4k

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Let's see if you've learned anything ...

The BBcode you're looking for (for posting super blurry, overly large photos of your rusty 4Runner) is [ timg ][ / timg ], not [ img ][ / img ]. This will thumbnail the image that breaks tables at 1920x1080.

When you inevitably don't listen to this, have fun getting banned.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Or (since timg still loads the full image size) just add a lowercase "L" before the .jpg to downsize it to a reasonable size.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Or (since timg still loads the full image size) just add a lowercase "L" before the .jpg to downsize it to a reasonable size.

Agreed. Save the world some bandwidth. Your best bet is to use

code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/cfpJITAl.jpg[/img] 
Once I shrink the image down, I like the spraywork! I'm excited to see where you go with this!

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finally uploaded some videos of my WJ from the Cleghorn trip a few weeks ago that my friend took. Figured I'd post them here in case anyone wants to see me scraping my fender liners or how scary smooth Quadra-Drive works in action.

Exterior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvaxW50OXOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcVWl-NUG7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr9fDDhY11U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4QZboUMR6o

Interior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLRQtVWg6Pg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0WDZLUeX6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCA-KrMJ__E

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nice! Some of the external videos seemed to turn out really well - what kind of camera was he using?

That WJ really did do quite well. I was a little concerned (well, that's not the word, but ya know) going into the trip that we'd have to yank it, but it never got stuck!

Also, what the hell were you listening to?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He was just using an iPhone 6.

I was listening to Eskmo's new album I think.

I thought I was going to have to get yanked too. Pretty shocked at how well the QD worked. Makes me wonder why Jeep even needed to move to QD-II if 164k mile LSDs worked as well as they did.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

Pretty shocked at how well the QD worked. Makes me wonder why Jeep even needed to move to QD-II if 164k mile LSDs worked as well as they did.

Cost, most likely. Seems to me like an electronic control system could be cheaper to build and warranty than the funky gerotor not-really-a-locker, not-really-a-limited-slip axles we have. I'd say probably easier to make better behaved, but it's not like the Variloks are anything but perfectly tame on the street.

Looks like they did eliminate the front E-locker for later WKs anyway. It still has a proper locker out back, but is probably using the ABS and ESC to make the front open diff work like a LSD.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
So apparently the renix 4.0 in my Comanche that I bought last year has a cracked cylinder head and all signs point to the possibility that it's been megafucked since I bought it. At this point, after seeing all the other hamfisting that the chucklefuck PO put into the truck, I'm not at all surprised.

He HAD told me that he grenaded the last 4.0 and swapped in a new one. He didn't tell me that he hamfucked a head swap though which now makes far more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

oh, that was swapped in? It might have had the damage done by the previous owner of the engine and he never knew. Could have come from a "never been jumped" partout, basically.

"Never been jumped": we found a 4.0/ax15/np231 donor for sandbagger's YJ in connecticut. Cheap old offroad beater. We drive hours, show up, inspect it. It has been completely hillrodded the gently caress out by some idiot. We are talking to said idiot. There are a large number of jacked up, broken, carbed mud trucks parked in the yard. A large number of partially drunk, probably inbred rednecks milling about. The engine won't start unless you pour gas in the throttle body. We get it started after I rip a metric fuckton of incredibly sketchy wiring "repairs" off and put it back how it was supposed to be, sorta. The entire gauge cluster is smashed because the idiot couldn't figure out how to get it out to take the LED bulbs out. The control arms are destroyed because it has clearly had nearly enough airtime to require a tail number from the FAA. The suspension is absolutely demolished, in fact. The shifter has the feel and response of stirring a bucket of pudding filled with gravel. The slave cylinder is shot (allegedly) but it doesn't matter because the synchros are gone and the shifter may or may not be going into third or fifth, it will grind into either without touching the pedal anyways. Then I crawl underneath and realize that out of four bellhousing bolts, ONE remains and it is about 3 turns from falling out. As a result, the flywheel has ground a big slot in the bellhousing and the CPS is hanging by a thread, and the slave cylinder just made the transmission flop around instead of engaging the clutch springs.

He had "built" the jeep for vermonster4x4 so his girlfriend? Sister? Both? Could compete. He proudly noted the jeep had "never been jumped!" And only needed a few things, really, to be a fine "woods rig".

I told the guy there was no amount of money we could actually offer because every single part we needed had been destroyed by his hamfuckery and we left.