Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Buggiezor posted:

I really dont know why I got this on my arm but its terrible. Was smashed drunk and at the time it was still a bad idea. Idk what it says but I know it was supposed to be my last name in hebrew....

It looks like the kitchen scratcher just typed in the name and "translated" it by using a Hebrew font.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Laserjet 4P posted:

It looks like the kitchen scratcher just typed in the name and "translated" it by using a Hebrew font.

'cept it's not hebrew

http://www.jewfaq.org/alephbet.htm

like, I'm not seeing anything there besides a bunch of fishhooks with some dots sometimes.

Bored has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Mar 16, 2015

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It's definitely arabic script - except the "artist" didn't join the characters together like in arabic script. See the table here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_alphabet. I think the farthest left one is missing a dot on the bottom, and farthest right 2 are "th" sounds, which makes no sense as a name. (It's supposed to be read right to left).

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Eeyo posted:

It's definitely arabic script - except the "artist" didn't join the characters together like in arabic script. See the table here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_alphabet. I think the farthest left one is missing a dot on the bottom, and farthest right 2 are "th" sounds, which makes no sense as a name. (It's supposed to be read right to left).

Yeah. I was thinking it looked like arabic script, but I've never seen it not joined aside from on friend's worksheets from their classes. And it wasn't spaced that shittily.

Laserjet 4P posted:

I think you might be right on this, cept with arabic font.

Bored has a new favorite as of 07:13 on Mar 16, 2015

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Bored posted:

What the hell is this? Is it something from pop culture that I don't know about?

Looks like

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Whoa…I totally thought it was Darth Maul!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Thank you. I knew it had to be referencing something.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

It's actually this one, sorry. I knew it was a head that Kreator used a couple of times and I haven't listened to that band in ages.

Edit: Added the tattoo this was about.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Bored posted:

Yeah. I was thinking it looked like arabic script, but I've never seen it not joined aside from on friend's worksheets from their classes. And it wasn't spaced that shittily.

I think you might be right on this, cept with arabic font.

It's an Arabic font, but almost all of those letters are never used in actual Arabic. Maybe something like Pashtu or Urdu. It's like if somebody got a tattoo with a bunch of ø and æ and ł characters.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Buggiezor posted:

I really dont know why I got this on my arm but its terrible. Was smashed drunk and at the time it was still a bad idea. Idk what it says but I know it was supposed to be my last name in hebrew....

So ignoring that it isn't connected (Arabic letters in words must always be connected. Always.) This can be read:
Left to right:
Ththoklly
R-L
Yllkothth

Yeah that sounds like nonsense.
Also if it was from a computer that's also a common problem since sometimes the string would be displayed as left-to-right which messes up how the font would connect and reverses the ordering of the letters.

Like so:
correct:
وشم
incorrect:
م ش و

(that means Tattoo in Arabic)

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Mar 16, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Buggiezor posted:

Best because it's not hebrew :laffo:

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
Ugly, but not as comically so as the best-worst examples in this thread:

It confuses me, however, as it is not a tattoo from 'Murica, but Canada, where handguns are pretty strictly regulated and there is no concealed-carry like in the US. I guess a shotgun for hunting moose wouldn't have fit so nicely in the garter, however.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Spadoink posted:

It confuses me, however, as it is not a tattoo from 'Murica, but Canada, where handguns are pretty strictly regulated and there is no concealed-carry like in the US. I guess a shotgun for hunting moose wouldn't have fit so nicely in the garter, however.

Maybe that's why she got it. She can't have a real handgun, so she got a tattoo of one.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Istari posted:

Maybe that's why she got it. She can't have a real handgun, so she got a tattoo of one.

Is American bacon also highly regulated? Because why else would she get that on there?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So ignoring that it isn't connected (Arabic letters in words must always be connected. Always.) This can be read:
Left to right:
Ththoklly
R-L
Yllkothth
Could be mangled Farsi, in which case the two thaas would be se. That would at least explain why there are two of them (if it's written backwards and his name ends in -ss).

Or maybe the yaa is really an alif maqsura and his name is Allkooth.

I think we're spending more time trying to figure it out than he did getting the tattoo. But I'm dying to know what his name actually is.

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.

Buggiezor posted:

I missed the text and legitimately thought this guy was into fly fishing.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

I thought the "garter" was really bad block lettering and it looked like it said "pet detective"

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Here are some more from the contest for the new page.

Its was done old school style. Too small and a lot of detail that you cant see anymore, and its all faded and just a big blob, and the placement is not correct. Its by far my worst tatt I have.

I got this tattoo almost four years ago by my soon to be exhusbands uncle who could "tattoo so well". It was supposed to be a four leaf clover a three leaf clover and say "Knight. Not so much...

cross for my grandfather

This tattoo means ALOT to me. My grandfather did alot for us. He was a wonderful man. I was so excited to get it and it looks like crap:( I would love to get this cross re done.

Jacked up Hello kitty

Guy was high on pulls apparently this looks nothing like a nurse hello kitty please fix

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

This says it's Barbie, but I think it's one of those Chinese knock offs.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick

Buggiezor posted:

Here are some more from the contest for the new page.

Its was done old school style. Too small and a lot of detail that you cant see anymore, and its all faded and just a big blob, and the placement is not correct. Its by far my worst tatt I have.

I got this tattoo almost four years ago by my soon to be exhusbands uncle who could "tattoo so well". It was supposed to be a four leaf clover a three leaf clover and say "Knight. Not so much...

cross for my grandfather

This tattoo means ALOT to me. My grandfather did alot for us. He was a wonderful man. I was so excited to get it and it looks like crap:( I would love to get this cross re done.

Jacked up Hello kitty

Guy was high on pulls apparently this looks nothing like a nurse hello kitty please fix

The stories are the best part.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SpliffClavin posted:

The stories are the best part.

Just like Tattoo Nighmares

"I got inked by Anthony Keidas after being a fill-in drummer for RHCP one night. Then I remembered, I don't know how to drum. I was roofied and all I have to show for it is this awful tattoo."

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I'm not sure their $500 prize would even come close to covering this up.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

hyperhazard posted:

Could be mangled Farsi, in which case the two thaas would be se. That would at least explain why there are two of them (if it's written backwards and his name ends in -ss).

Or maybe the yaa is really an alif maqsura and his name is Allkooth.

I think we're spending more time trying to figure it out than he did getting the tattoo. But I'm dying to know what his name actually is.

Are those thaas (ث)? Because they're shaped exactly like the kalf (ك) and lam (ل), but I guess they do have the three dots. That's a lot of what's throwing me off on being able to read that.

Also the ya/alif maqsura has one dot under it, which is another weird thing that's messing with me. That's why I mentioned Pashtu earlier, I know they have like four different forms of the ى character

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Buggiezor posted:

Tasteless Tattoos: this looks nothing like a nurse hello kitty please fix

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

This linguistics diversion is becoming increasingly fascinating.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

olaf2022 posted:

I thought the "garter" was really bad block lettering and it looked like it said "pet detective"

Haha, holy poo poo. I immediately read it as "GUNTUB" and then realized it wasn't lettering at all.
I still see it too.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

I spent far too long trying to figure out how this boob/nipple worked before I realized it was a lizard.

jess
May 26, 2005

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye

a fish hook
an open eye

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

hyperhazard posted:

I can't stop laughing at the chameleon. He looks so surprised and embarrassed to be there.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

That's one hell of a cover up for that dog tag tattoo.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Rondette posted:

The one that covers that one will be actual pieces of construction paper stapled to his chest.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

white boy car wash

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

hyperhazard posted:

This has a lot of potential, he should just get it fixed and colored. Half zombie (or is it sugar skull?) Statue of Liberty with lizards and mudflap girl? Get it redone in bright colors and just own that crazy poo poo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

This summer, Nicolas Cage is... Dragula

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I'm seeing trent reznor

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

Talk about a karma chameleon...

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Rondette posted:

What dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Scrambles posted:

I'm seeing trent reznor

Will Farrell

• Locked thread