Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Your way works too posted:

Agreed. I still like the story I can't help but feel like the ending is a bit lazy though.

Do you feel the same way about say, Reservoir Dogs? Making broad generalizations about all of writing is the mark of a lazy critic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Do you feel the same way about say, Reservoir Dogs? Making broad generalizations about all of writing is the mark of a lazy critic.

No? The ending to Reservoir Dogs is a lot more elegant then HM2s though.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
It's one of the reasons I hate horror flicks. "Oh look, all the main characters got killed off by the bad guy. Whoop-de-loving-do." :geno:

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Just so I don't end up arguing a point I don't really hold. I think the ending is fine the broad scope of things. It works thematically if nothing else.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Anatharon posted:

Also I feel like the Fans getting their van fixed up at a chop shop and then the Henchman shooting up a chop shop was supposed to lead into something, unless it was just supposed to be a red herring.

I assumed that was the reason the fans show up at the nightclub where the Henchman is getting high as gently caress. Leaving a witness at the same chop shop the fans frequent might have possibly lead to his demise. I can't tell if I like the idea of him sparing someone indirectly causing his own death or the fans appearance just being cruel coincidence more, though.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Anatharon posted:

The one thing that was never answered that I wish it was: What on Earth was in that briefcase from The Metro?

I wonder if it was the same briefcase you got with Jake.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Anatharon posted:

The one thing that was never answered that I wish it was: What on Earth was in that briefcase from The Metro?

turboraton posted:

I wonder if it was the same briefcase you got with Jake.

TheJoker138 posted:

Your way works too posted:

No? The ending to Reservoir Dogs is a lot more elegant then HM2s though.

Well let's tie this all together and say the briefcase is the same one from Pulp Fiction. You heard it here first folks. Tarantino will be directing a Hotline Miami movie!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Wamdoodle posted:

Well let's tie this all together and say the briefcase is the same one from Pulp Fiction. You heard it here first folks. Tarantino will be directing a Hotline Miami movie!

:flashfap:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh my god YES

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I will loving watch a Tarantino Hotline Miami movie if it also involves Beat Takeshi.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

lol

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

What's with those spinning dogs? Is that another glitch, or is it some joke about dogs chasing their tails?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It's a glitch that also makes them (sometimes) invulnerable.

The worst dog

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty sure it's a bug. I kinda hope they don't fix it though, just patch in an updated animation for dogs chasing their tails instead.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJW1EiuxRWU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The best dog spin is when they start doing it in time with the bass drop.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Tony's mask isn't the original one because Jacket's is on the evidence table during his trial.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
In HLM1 who's the guy getting interrogated that you blow up in chapter 4 (?). I keep thinking it's the original Tony but I'm pretty sure you get that mask beforehand.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

In HLM1 who's the guy getting interrogated that you blow up in chapter 4 (?). I keep thinking it's the original Tony but I'm pretty sure you get that mask beforehand.

The original Tony is the third mask you get (after Richard and Rasmus), the level with the hostage in the Tony mask is a few chapters later, so presumably that really is where Tony the character got his mask from.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The Fans' destructive tendencies wrap back around them, The Son's high-flying lifestyle eventually reaches its violent nadir, The Writer either gets back with his family or finally abandons them for his book, The Actor is killed on set, Richter gets to escape to Hawaii and give his mom a better life.

The problem with HM2's plot is that it explains away all of the mystery that made the first game fun, with the help of some seriously stupid retcons - not that its canon doesn't make sense, or whatever.

Referring to the fact that no matter what any of them did or what choices they made they died in game or lived and got nuked anyway. It says to me, do whatever because makes no difference. Story makes perfect sense its just very bleak.

A fine theme to explore but not what I was expecting from the game.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Who is in the bathroom at the bar of broken heroes ? I I recognized everyone but him.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I always assumed The Fans were in their late teens or early 20s. I couldn't tell you why beyond associating their impromptu gear in the comic with raiding their gym's supplies, and also their pizza eating (though Jacket did that too). This does throw a wrench in the works for them being actually in Hawaii, but that wouldn't be the worst timeline confusion, which I think belongs to Richter and his mom watching an interview with Martin just before the bombs fall, which doesn't seem to leave time for Final Cut and Martin's death, unless it's prerecorded or something, but still seems strange since I think I remember a newspaper that seemed to be talking about Midnight Animal like it'd been released.

Basically just don't think too hard about the timeline and you'll be fine.

e:

Phil Niekro posted:

Who is in the bathroom at the bar of broken heroes ? I I recognized everyone but him.

It's Pardo.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 16, 2015

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

RandallODim posted:

I always assumed The Fans were in their late teens or early 20s. I couldn't tell you why beyond associating their impromptu gear in the comic with raiding their gym's supplies, and also their pizza eating (though Jacket did that too). This does throw a wrench in the works for them being actually in Hawaii, but that wouldn't be the worst timeline confusion, which I think belongs to Richter and his mom watching an interview with Martin just before the bombs fall, which doesn't seem to leave time for Final Cut and Martin's death, unless it's prerecorded or something, but still seems strange since I think I remember a newspaper that seemed to be talking about Midnight Animal like it'd been released.

Maybe all of Final Cut was a dream and the intro was a dream-within-a-dream? I can't really think of any other explanation

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Is anyone else pissed that there's no loving Brandon mask or some loving go fast character option? If you're not going fast, you're going SLOW, and I sure as hell didn't sign up to go slow, especially in these gently caress-off huge labyrinths they call maps. It and the lack of ammo just about took all the fun out of hard mode. Also, what's up with Biker outside of the courthouse?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Speedball posted:

So, since practically everyone is hallucinating Richard, does that mean he's basically become some sort of pervasive cultural icon?

I'm reminded of Paranoia Agent in that regard.

Actually I would be surprised if these guys weren't fans of Satoshi Kon.

Considering the rape scene in the first level is almost directly lifted from Perfect Blue I'd say either they are or they're into a lot of the same themes as Kon anyway.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Here is a video of someone who got gud on Dead Ahead.

Hotline Miami 2 90X combo (dead ahead): https://youtu.be/c4Wgz2TbcfE

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Phil Niekro posted:

Referring to the fact that no matter what any of them did or what choices they made they died in game or lived and got nuked anyway. It says to me, do whatever because makes no difference. Story makes perfect sense its just very bleak.

A fine theme to explore but not what I was expecting from the game.

I read it more as about self-reinforcing cycles of violence. It's a non-stop crazy murderous rampage starting with "sanctioned" violence in a war, then organized violence against the occupying force, the mafia, a serial killer, a group of people just murdering for shits and giggles, and a double assassination, until eventually everyone gets one-upped by the ultimate violence. It was also a convenient way for them to definitively end the series, and if we're getting meta as the Hotline Miami dudes tend to, it also calls the question, would what happens in a video game story have somehow mattered more if they didn't die?

It's fun as gently caress going back through trying to get A+ on all the normal levels now. I suck at the game, but it's cool to see how much less I suck than when I started. I'm full comboing levels that I cautiously inched through the first time.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

HampHamp posted:

I love how 6 minutes of the video is the score counter going up

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
drat, so that's what real git gud looks like.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

HampHamp posted:

Now do it on hard.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Lacedaemonius posted:

Now do it on hard.

That's not me, I'm not great at this game. Just started hard mode, it's a lot of fun!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

HampHamp posted:

2.17125E+06 :stare: What the gently caress is that number even?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

HampHamp posted:

That's not me, I'm not great at this game. Just started hard mode, it's a lot of fun!

Oh I know, but after the hell that was in hard mode I want to share my pain with someone, especially if that someone is better at the game than me.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

HampHamp posted:

I love this game. I love it I love it I love it. Also, who is the ultimate badass? Pardo or The Son? Who would win?

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

"E" is shortcut for "times 10 to the following power" for scientific notation. So it's 2.17125 with the decimal moved over six times, or 2171250. They set it to roll over to scientific notation once you got into the millions.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

2171250; scientific notation. The E stands for "x10" and the number after it is the exponent. So, 2.17125x10^6, or 2.17125x1000000

e: aww peas

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 16, 2015

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Anatharon posted:

While it technically does that it still leaves questions.

[spoiler]Like how did Tony get Jacket's mask?/spoiler]

He didn't. Go look at the courtroom scene again.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Chomposaur posted:

"E" is shortcut for "times 10 to the following power" for scientific notation. So it's 2.17125 with the decimal moved over six times, or 2171250. They set it to roll over to scientific notation once you got into the millions.

Scholtz posted:

2171250; scientific notation. The E stands for "x10" and the number after it is the exponent. So, 2.17125x10^6, or 2.17125x1000000

e: aww peas

I was hoping for someone to write out the number, not give me the textbook explanation, but attempting to write it out proved to be worthless as I ran out of space. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Why do some level screens have blood dripping and others don't?

• Locked thread