Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Dailies are typically +EV even at a 50% win rate, unlike queues. Daily events pay out 35 pax for every 16 players, while queues only pay out 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

Okay now that we've seen all of the cards in Dragons of Tarkir, what are you guys thinking will be the updates to existing decks, and what (if any) new decks do you think are poised to be really good once the cards are out there?

My friends and I have been jamming on modo beta all weekend.

- Anticipate will slot right in to control decks and encourages you to play additional 2 cmc instants like silumgar's scorn, last breath, and even nullify

- The raptor is actually a huge PITA. Potential breakout mythic. Good for all the Gx devotion decks or with whisperwood.

- Haven't discovered any homes for the new plainswalkers yet.

- GW command is almost always doing something you really want done when you need it to. Solid.

- Descent of the dragons combo is hilarious. Clearly the best t2 combo deck.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Raptor looks really, really good and I'm surprised people didn't get more hyped about it.

Dr. Stab posted:

The difference is that beb is an uncommon on modo.
Oh yeah, now i remember I had to borrow the common blasts off AWIY even though there's a common version of BEB on mtgo.

MTGO: Thhhhhhe bestest.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I'm a terrible deckbuilder but I want to make a Naya zoo deck with that new green card that digs for 2 3CMC creatures using Courser, Brimaz, Rabblemaster, Raptor, new Anafenza, new green mythic Shaman, Flamewake and probably a few things I'm not remembering.

rabidsquid posted:

I think Bant control will become a playable t2 archetype but with no extremely good reason to play it over U/B or Abzan.

Narset is basically the only reason I think, but that's good enough reason for me. Going to make a Bant superfriends with like 4 Narset, 2 Elspeth, 2 Nissa, 3 Kiora, and maybe one of each Ajani and then counterspells, End Hostilities, Anticipate, and Courser and Caryatid.

Spiderdrake posted:

Raptor looks really, really good and I'm surprised people didn't get more hyped about it.

Because it's crazy boring. It's probably really good and playable, but there's nothing exciting about it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think the UW and GW Commands are a better reason than Narset to be in Bant but I would probably try to make her work in it too.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Because it's crazy boring. It's probably really good and playable, but there's nothing exciting about it.

For a hot second I was real excited that we might be going to DinoLand in September, but then they told us about Return to Zendikar and that sounded like more fun.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Raptors farting out of morphs to maul off Rhino faces doesn't strike me as boring, especially when they fall out of a phoenix as it takes to the sky.

Amazing how bad the art is, though. The card has a narrative baked in and the art direction is 'draw the worst looking dinosaur ever'

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snacksmaniac posted:

That's a horse not a dragon. Don't care if anyone beat me to this.

Any results from eternal extravaganza 2?

My buddy got 3rd in legacy using my Chains of Mephistopheles to do gross things with Dack Fayden. Apparently I'm getting something for letting him borrow my Chains (see this is how you thank people for borrowing your cards, nerds.) I'll give a trip report of what he gives me (besides my $300 sideboard card back) on Friday.

Edit: It was actually the guy you met at GPNJ.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 16, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is it really that helpful in GW? It seems like it's only good when you're already going off with Mastery, and it's not a game-ending haymaker.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

I think the UW and GW Commands are a better reason than Narset to be in Bant but I would probably try to make her work in it too.

Oh, derp, yeah, you're right.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

My buddy got 3rd in legacy using my Chains of Mephistopheles to do gross things with Dack Fayden. Apparently I'm getting something for letting him borrow my Chains (see this is how you thank people for borrowing your cards, nerds.) I'll give a trip report of what he gives me (besides my $300 sideboard card back) on Friday.
Oh man. I never thought about how nasty Dack and Chains is. Sucks chains is 300 bucks, because +2 opponent discards 4 sounds brutal.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I wish there were a few more token makers in DTK to make exploit a little more reliable. Dragon Fodder is the only one I remember seeing in the spoiler. Hordeling Outburst, Ponyback Brigade, and that 4W one that makes 3 soldiers will be missed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Oh man. I never thought about how nasty Dack and Chains is. Sucks chains is 300 bucks, because +2 opponent discards 4 sounds brutal.

Discards two, really.

Notion Thief is truly disgusting, though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

suicidesteve posted:

Edit: It was actually the guy you met at GPNJ.

I didn't know about that card before but the oracle text makes a pretty good case for them using "they" as a pronoun instead of the current "him or her". That word count adds up when you're using it 3 times on a card with modern templating

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Jabor posted:

Discards two, really.

Notion Thief is truly disgusting, though.
Yea. Discard two, draw two, discard two. It's a replacement effect right? It sounds really painful if you time it correctly. Notion Thief is a good idea for my dank faygo deck, and it doesn't cost 300 bucks! Nice suggestion.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

Raptors farting out of morphs to maul off Rhino faces doesn't strike me as boring, especially when they fall out of a phoenix as it takes to the sky.

Amazing how bad the art is, though. The card has a narrative baked in and the art direction is 'draw the worst looking dinosaur ever'

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is it really that helpful in GW? It seems like it's only good when you're already going off with Mastery, and it's not a game-ending haymaker.

Its body is mostly irrelevant since GW has the ground on super lockdown anyway, so its main value comes from ensuring that you have another card to flip faceup for mastery after you hit one.

That's not quite win-more but its not going to give the deck game in bad matchups. Besides, you have to take out cards to fit it in the deck, and I'm not sure its better than any of the cards in the deck right now.

Also, if it wasn't obvious, its only playable in decks with Manifest because there are no good morphs that you actually turn face up on any reliable basis

e: A better card to look at is Avatar of the Resolute, since getting a 3-power Reach is super relevant against mantis rider (plus fringe benefits for devotion with GG [lol get wrecked mono blue])

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 16, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Yea. Discard two, draw two, discard two. It's a replacement effect right? It sounds really painful if you time it correctly. Notion Thief is a good idea for my dank faygo deck, and it doesn't cost 300 bucks! Nice suggestion.

Discard 1, draw 1, discard 1, draw 1, discard 2. I've Notion Thief'd him in response to his Dack + before. It felt so good except he had The Abyss in play so I lost anyway.

He said he got someone who had tapped out for a Stoneforge for Batterskull and had 1 other card in his hand. I'm so proud my card could be involved in that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Shaman of Forgotten Ways would be infinitely better if Formidable wasn't it's mechanic.

G/W or G/B devotion, play Shaman, generate double white or black mana and 14 green, play a End Hostilities/Crux of Fate/activate previously played Vault, play it, use the 11 mana ability, win.

But no Formidable ruins yet another cool thing about the card. loving tragic.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Shaman of Forgotten Ways would be infinitely better if Formidable wasn't it's mechanic.

G/W or G/B devotion, play Shaman, generate double white or black mana and 14 green, play a End Hostilities/Crux of Fate/activate previously played Vault, play it, use the 11 mana ability, win.

Except the mana produced by Shaman can only be used for creatures. :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

Except the mana produced by Shaman can only be used for creatures. :v:

Second ability.

Hell even that doesn't work because it requires the drat thing to be tapped as well.

What a horrible waste of a Biorhythm effect, it's so incredibly janky. :sigh:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 16, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

You could... activate Biorhythm Bear, hold priority and crack a Perilous Vault? Vault activates and clears the deck, then Biorhythm resolves? You'd need to have a Banishing Light hiding one of your dudes though to not just lose.

edit: or a Flash dude you could cast after the Vault activation but with Biorhythm still on the stack. At that point though the amount of mana required is truly obscene.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

You could... activate Biorhythm Bear, hold priority and crack a Perilous Vault? Vault activates and clears the deck, then Biorhythm resolves? You'd need to have a Banishing Light hiding one of your dudes though to not just lose.

edit: or a Flash dude you could cast after the Vault activation but with Biorhythm still on the stack. At that point though the amount of mana required is truly obscene.

Good thing Green devotion is really good at making obscene amounts of mana.

Still, it's really dumb how even this breaks the limit on "obscene amounts of mana to make work".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nah you just use it to reset your opponent's life total after they've gained a million with Mastery. It does that perfectly fine on its own.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Just for a limited perspective, formidable is going to be easier to get than you think... That doesn't make Shaman a good card though. I'm thinking of cards like the 5/5 Elmer for 5 or the 3/2 Bear that regen's as pretty high picks...

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 16, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I honestly think the best non-walker mythic in this set is Dragon Whisperer. Double red and a really flexible card, I legit think it, Zurgo, and Lightning Berserker will bring back Mono Red Devotion.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I honestly think the best non-walker mythic in this set is Dragon Whisperer. Double red and a really flexible card, I legit think it, Zurgo, and Lightning Berserker will bring back Mono Red Devotion.

Missing a solid RRR card. Boros Reckoner was a great value creature that happened to add three symbols. I'd love to see the deck work, but I think without a good RRR card it's not really worth it. Being able to use Nykthos in a red deck is pretty cool, though, you can use Crater's Claws as a finisher. Compared to G devotion the problem with R is that Drown in Sorrow and Anger of the Gods wipe your board and reset your devotion, whereas if your green symbols are coming from Coursers, Polukranii, Genesis Hydras, Arbor Colossus etc. then you're less vulnerable to that.

mcmagic posted:

Just for a limited perspective, formidable is going to be easier to get than you think... That doesn't make Shaman a good card though. I'm thinking of cards like the 5/5 Elmer for 5 or the 3/2 Bear that regen's as pretty high picks...

Shaman is fine in Limited as a ramper and will see tons of Standard play when Theros rotates out unless BfZ has a ramper as good as Caryatid. When your best dork isn't a two-drop, the 3-mana Shaman gets a lot better- part of the value of Caryatid is you can drop a Temple on turn 1 and still play it on time, whereas without scrylands or Caryatid you will more often go turn 1 Mystic, turn 2 Shaman, turn 3 6-drop.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Missing a solid RRR card. Boros Reckoner was a great value creature that happened to add three symbols. I'd love to see the deck work, but I think without a good RRR card it's not really worth it. Being able to use Nykthos in a red deck is pretty cool, though, you can use Crater's Claws as a finisher. Compared to G devotion the problem with R is that Drown in Sorrow and Anger of the Gods wipe your board and reset your devotion, whereas if your green symbols are coming from Coursers, Polukranii, Genesis Hydras, Arbor Colossus etc. then you're less vulnerable to that.

I don't think Mono-R devotion will be solid tier 1 or anything, but it can give the top decks a run for their money. The real power loss as compared to last standard was Burning-Tree Emissary. That let you poo poo out so much damage in turns 3 - 6 being able to chain multiples into Fanatic of Mogis or a Nykthos activation. Losing Boros Reckoner hurt, but he was more an incidental nice-to-have, and wasn't the driving force behind the deck. BTE was.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Devor posted:

At FNM, I had an opponent who kept missing the triggers on his Scroll of the Masters and then remembering them later in the turn where he corrected it. Once he remembered one on the following turn when we had gone to combat and I was considering attacks. I said it was a missed trigger at that point, and some other people jumped up my rear end about a new rule saying triggers that aren't "may" can't be missed, and you have to rewind the game to correct them.

What was the deal with that.

That is the case at Regular REL, it's covered in the JAR. If it were competitive, the trigger would be missed, but Regular REL is geared more towards teaching and learning rather than just competition. As long as it wouldn't be too disruptive to the gamestate, the trigger goes on the stack.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

I don't think Mono-R devotion will be solid tier 1 or anything, but it can give the top decks a run for their money. The real power loss as compared to last standard was Burning-Tree Emissary. That let you poo poo out so much damage in turns 3 - 6 being able to chain multiples into Fanatic of Mogis or a Nykthos activation. Losing Boros Reckoner hurt, but he was more an incidental nice-to-have, and wasn't the driving force behind the deck. BTE was.

I'm sure Burning Tree, Burning Tree, Nykthos, 5 devotion, Stormbreath Dragon is missed among Red players.

Just as Burning Tree, Burning Tree, Burning Tree, Nykthos, 7 Devotion, Garruk, Caller of Beasts, Elvish Mystic, is missed among us Green players.

Burning Tree really was good design. :sigh:

Edit: I felt so good about yesterday's victory with Merfolk that I'm legitimately considering against my better judgment to buy the deck on MTGO. I have a good majority of the more expensive cards but I got really sad when I saw that 7th Edition Lord of Atlantis is 10 bucks a pop.

I wish that was the Timeshifted art, it's really unfortunate.

Samael posted:

I really think that the decks that are underused right now with good support going into dragons of tarkir will be UW control, mono red (even though its a thing right now) and a variety of Rx Midrange decks, like Temur Midrange and Jeskai Midrange.

A deck that I really hope works is some kind of Jund Unwritten deck with See the Unwritten, Tasigur and the new Atarka as some kind of semi-board wipe/finisher, hornet queen, whip and lots of self-mill cards.

I could see Jund Reanimator being A Potential Thing with Dragons, given that a bunch of the Green Formidable cards have big butts and good triggers, specifically Stampeding Elk Herd, and Atarka is incredibly feelgood to Whip back. There's also a couple nice black cards like the return a card to your hand, give target creature -X/-X where X is the CMC of that card, giving you life insurance on your whips/value creatures.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 16, 2015

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I really think that the decks that are underused right now with good support going into dragons of tarkir will be UW control, mono red (even though its a thing right now) and a variety of Rx Midrange decks, like Temur Midrange and Jeskai Midrange.

A deck that I really hope works is some kind of Jund Unwritten deck with See the Unwritten, Tasigur and the new Atarka as some kind of semi-board wipe/finisher, hornet queen, whip and lots of self-mill cards.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Samael posted:

Abzan deck that just shits out creatures with See the Unwritten, Genesis Hydra, and Collected Company.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The new Atarka is pretty great, the only thing holding it back is that Hornet Queen is still probably better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Shaman is fine in Limited as a ramper and will see tons of Standard play when Theros rotates out unless BfZ has a ramper as good as Caryatid. When your best dork isn't a two-drop, the 3-mana Shaman gets a lot better- part of the value of Caryatid is you can drop a Temple on turn 1 and still play it on time, whereas without scrylands or Caryatid you will more often go turn 1 Mystic, turn 2 Shaman, turn 3 6-drop.

Has there ever been a 3 drop ramper that saw standard play? That seems SO much slower than anything you want to be doing in standard. I can't ever see myself wanting to cast a ramp creature on T3 in any format of magic other than Sealed.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Abzan deck that just shits out creatures with See the Unwritten, Genesis Hydra, and Collected Company.

I don't think Collected Company and See the Unwritten should be in the same deck, Company is really efficient with a abzan aggro shell bringing in deathdealers, anafenza, lions and wardens where-as See the Unwritten wants to be jammed in a deck with the biggest creatures possible (with reasonably costed threats with 4 power to activate the ferocious ability) so you can crap out as many big fatties as possible with ETB effects, both of these cards scream "Build Around Me!" and not really to be just thrown into a deck.

mcmagic posted:

Has there ever been a 3 drop ramper that saw standard play? That seems SO much slower than anything you want to be doing in standard. I can't ever see myself wanting to cast a ramp creature on T3 in any format of magic other than Sealed.

Somberwald Sage did, kind of? It was definitely fringe playable back when Craterhoof Behemoth was a possible go-to option in standard.

Samael fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 16, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Well in the absence of Courser and Caryatid if green decks want to cast something beefy this is their option. It's a lot worse coming down T3 than on T2 but it's going to see play unless a ramper as good as Noble Hierarch or Lotus Cobra is in BfZ. It's a snowball where no temples in format increases the odds of T1 dork, and T1 dork increases the odds of Shaman seeing play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

When was the last time Standard didn't have a T1 dork in Green, actually?

Elvish Mystic is from Zendikar I think, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was reprinted again, actually.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Civic Wayfinder was in the Lorwyn-TSP standard Elves deck. Yavimaya Elder also saw play.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

When was the last time Standard didn't have a T1 dork in Green, actually?

Elvish Mystic is from Zendikar I think, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was reprinted again, actually.

you're thinkin of arbor elf

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Well in the absence of Courser and Caryatid if green decks want to cast something beefy this is their option. It's a lot worse coming down T3 than on T2 but it's going to see play unless a ramper as good as Noble Hierarch or Lotus Cobra is in BfZ. It's a snowball where no temples in format increases the odds of T1 dork, and T1 dork increases the odds of Shaman seeing play.

There will definitely be a T1 dork between Magic Origins and BFZ. I'm betting on a Birds reprint in origins.

Wezlar posted:

Civic Wayfinder was in the Lorwyn-TSP standard Elves deck. Yavimaya Elder also saw play.

Yeah but Civic Wayfinder is great. It's a 2 mana effect stapled to a 2/2 body for 3 mana... The differences between than and this new Shaman is GIANT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
mystic was first in 2014 i think to replace llanowar elves because of some nonsense dumbass reason

• Locked thread