Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Where's First Dog? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

thatbastardken posted:

i am in so hard. do we want to suit up and go somewhere flash, or trick the minister into macca's breakfast?

Nobody deserves maccas breakfast.

Anyway I should be able to get most places because I am a public transport wizard. I think somewhere reasonably nice but not too exxy/flash so that we can all be business casual if we want.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Birdstrike posted:

firstdog died on the way back to his home planet

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Can't stop.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

WHO'RE THE PINKOS NOW?!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Drugs posted:

firstdog died on the way back to his home planet

Well kids, we all know that sometimes when humourless rants die, they're back again the very next day. That's why I'm presenting this sworn affidavit that First Dog will never, ever, ever return!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Birdstrike posted:

I've been busy trying to stay awake and reading the Girl Genius archives again in a desperate attempt to reset my sleeping patterns to something sane, rather than my current "Is asleep for 16-20 hours a day" situation. As such, I apologise for being late on getting you your fix of your beloved first dog.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
pinkie pie noooooooo

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

goddamnit

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

this is illegal

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Pickled Tink posted:

I've been busy trying to stay awake and reading the Girl Genius archives again in a desperate attempt to reset my sleeping patterns to something sane, rather than my current "Is asleep for 16-20 hours a day" situation. As such, I apologise for being late on getting you your fix of your beloved first dog.

I'd stay away from First Dog too if I wanted to stay awake. :haw:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

did joyce actually have to go out to the country recently?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

This looks creepy beyond words.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Abbott accidentally gets left in the day care area.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
he is a very bad prime minister, that is for sure.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

That looks like Pope's Anthony Abbott reference picture

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Drugs posted:

he is a very bad prime minister, that is for sure.

as wise as could be expected from a man called drgus

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

dr_rat posted:

Turns out we were being to hard on old Pyne, apparently he's a fixer, and he fixed it:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=400865080094904&fref=nf

This is amazing beyond words

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Funnier than First Dog and less wordy too:

quote:

Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder. On Saturday, up a rapey alleyway, in the inner-city Sydney suburb of Surry Hills, first home buyer, Doi, with mother Gina by his side (and a little of Gina's money in his pocket), duked it out with six others at an auction to secure his first home. Doi said of his purchase "it's a beautiful little house." And more on that later. Sadly, like many first home buyers in Australia though, Doi won't be living in his first home. He'll be renovating it before renting it out.

The reason Doi won't suffer the indignity of opening his front door to the sounds of late night alleyway hand jobs is because he, like most first home buyers, likely can't afford to. Something sick and twisted has happened in major Australian cities - first home buyers have no incentive to live in their first home any longer. Because of incentives like negative gearing, an investor will likely put zero down, take an interest only mortgage because the rent still won't cover the costs and claim a tax deduction on the loss at the end of the financial year - the hope is the capital gains will eventually make up for the rental losses.

First home buyers have little chance to compete with this madness. So their response is join the party. Buy something, rent it out and stay at home with the folks. If that's not sick and twisted enough, Doi paid $840,000, $140,000 over the reserve, for his first home (the sick) and it looks like this (the twisted).

A beautiful little house, ain't it? Even a new coat of bright yellow paint to cover up the rust stains.

63 square metres of the Australian dream. 1 bedroom and an external laundry and bathroom to remind you of colonial times. The good news is, despite Sydney property prices tearing upwards 14% in 2013 and another 12% in 2014, after the Reserve Bank cut interest rates 1.25% in 2012 and another 0.5% in 2013, in February this year, the RBA saw fit to cut another 0.25% into this lunacy without any lending restrictions in place. But this is totally cool because in their words, "the Bank is working with other regulators to assess and contain economic risks that may arise from the housing market."

And what are those other regulators up to? APRA or the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority used all of their authority to write Australia's banks a letter.
APRA’s new mortgage standards focused on quality, not quantity of lending In its letter to the banks, APRA indicated that it will increase the level of supervisory oversight on mortgages given recent developments in the housing and mortgage markets. That said it does not propose to introduce across the board increases in capital requirements or caps on particular types of loans.
The financial terrorists at APRA must be pleased with themselves that they'd managed to write a letter to the banks about their lending standards by December 2014. After the Reserve Bank knocked 2% off interest rates starting in 2012. See if you can pick where the RBA started cutting interest rates and Australian property investors in Sydney and Melbourne (represented by NSW and Victoria on the chart) started getting horny with cheap money and ploughing it into Australia's two largest cities?

I know. It's a total shock that maniacs who borrow nearly 100% on interest only terms to lose rental money to speculate on housing capital gains would love low interest rates. And with the lowest mortgage rates in Australian history, coinciding with the sloppiest lending standards in Australian history, combining with the highest property prices in Australian history, added to the highest household debt to income ratio in Australian history, what would you expect the biggest idiot of a treasurer in Australian history to do?

Start talking about letting first home buyers raid their retirement accounts, so they can get over the angst of missing out on this lunacy and ensure they'll blow their retirement savings and push the housing market up even further.
...such changes may include using superannuation savings for things that Australians do not use them for now, he said, including using super to buy first homes. "I get a lot of people approaching me saying that young people should be able to use their superannuation to fund a deposit on a home, on their first home," Mr Hockey said. "I am concerned about rising house prices and the accessibility to homes and homeownership for younger Australians, but we've got a limited pool of savings. We need to have these conversations."
This is innovation Australian style from treasurer, Sloppy Joe Hockey. If it's not enough to dig up resources and sell them to China and then use that money to borrow more money to to bid up house prices no-where-else but Australia. Why diversify? When first home buyers are lucky enough to dodge this bullet (whether they understand it or not) the man who should be offering caution, sympathizes with them by suggesting they should be able to grab their retirement money and jump into the housing market when it's never been hotter.

But as Sloppy Joe says, "I get a lot of people approaching me saying that young people should be able to use their superannuation to fund a deposit on a home, on their first home". Note Sloppy says he gets a lot people saying that young people should be able to use their superannuation, instead of a lot of young people saying that they should be able to use their superannuation. Which is really the key because this dopey plan has been done before in Canada and who came up with it? It wasn't first home buyers, it was the Canadian Real Estate Association, in the midst of a recession and housing down turn. And those guys don't ask for money to flow to the real estate market to help first home buyer affordability.

If this ain't bad enough, Australia's China fueled boom is all but over. And a guy named Crispen Odey, who likes to have photos taken with his hands clasped together, thinks we're toast. Australia is heading for recession he says. He's dark on the banks, who keep lending to the maniacs who've been bidding up house prices. And he's short on Genworth who does some of their mortgage insurance. The downturn is already being felt in mining towns where formerly hot housing markets have turned to dust in the space of 4 years.

Will Doi feel a cool breeze at his new inner city shed? Well that's assured. If he wants a bath or needs to take a leak, he has to walk outside to do so, but that's someone else's problem. His tenant. Doi's lucky, if Sydney's looney housing market falls apart, he'll never suffer the indignity of foreclosure, eviction and moving back in with his mother.

Australia's bizarre obsession with real estate speculation meant he never had the opportunity to leave mother's house in the first place.

http://www.idiottax.net/2015/03/mortgage-regulation-australian-style.html

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Definitely one of the more inexplicable cartoons I have seen.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Shadeoses posted:

Definitely one of the more inexplicable cartoons I have seen.

"This implies Scott Morrison is a bronie now to sue for defamation."

- Australian Bronie Club

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Pickled Tink posted:

Not much left in the tank after the hysterics of a few weeks ago during the Abbott "spill" it would seem.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Did he eat all the children? That would be more aligned to the whole lizard theme.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

If I did it

The Christopher Pyne Autobiography.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I was watching a bunch of friendlyjordies videos before, and I found two weird as hell things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSzdf43sFkw

And,

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1269605/viewall

What an all around dope dude.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Turnbull looks on while NTATA* goes down the tubes.

* Noted Torture Apologist Tony Abbott.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Tony has always had an inquisitive mind. Now he finally knows where the S-Bend leads.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Sure is a lot of dumb in that picture.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Gough Suppressant posted:

Tony has always had an inquisitive mind. Now he finally knows where the S-Bend leads.

Strange things happen when you're going 'round that twist.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I will eat this tube man with some fava beans and a nice chianti

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

cpaf posted:

I will eat this tube man with some fava beans and a nice chianti

He's going to need something stiffer than a Chianti

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Petition to have this become the background music any time Christopher Pyne tries to speak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imn3HoDZXrw

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

cpaf posted:

fava beans and a nice chianti

I only found out what that meant recently.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

a literal sermon... in a comic...

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
4 corners is just repeating what we know mostly

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

tithin posted:

Petition to have this become the background music any time Christopher Pyne tries to speak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imn3HoDZXrw

It's perfect. I've had this playing while making dinner and it's strangely appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pickled Tink posted:

it's revelation not revelations didnt read

• Locked thread