Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mithranderp posted:

ruin something delicious with vegemite?

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Mithranderp posted:

I assume that Beet refers to the potential for scum to take advantage of the general anti-dav sentiment and getting in on a convenient bandwagon day one.

If scum had any brains they would be aware of that as it's been discussed ad nauseum in previous games, and so it's back to wine in front of me.

Get. Out. :bahgawd:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Coaching usually always involves feedback and is a back and forth between two or more parties until a goal is met.

Feedback doesn't necessarily involve coaching because it can be passive and rarely is a back and forth exchange. Normally is seen as (but not limited to) a one off comment or report eg. " your coles store sucks and is run by Hitler youth "

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Matthew Beet posted:

Coaching usually always involves feedback and is a back and forth between two or more parties until a goal is met.

Feedback doesn't necessarily involve coaching because it can be passive and rarely is a back and forth exchange. Normally is seen as (but not limited to) a one off comment or report eg. " your coles store sucks and is run by Hitler youth "

Just as a, random example.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
as a law student i advise you all to develop mental health and substance abuse problems

this will make mafia easier somehwo

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Tommofork posted:

If scum had any brains they would be aware of that as it's been discussed ad nauseum in previous games, and so it's back to wine in front of me.

Get. Out. :bahgawd:

True, but we've also established that collectively auspol mafia has a weird ability to ignore obvious things.

Nah bro it adds an extra dimension of flavour to the blandness of white bread, cheese, and sparse amounts of "bacon". That being said, plain ones with just butter are also delicious.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

thatbastardken posted:

as a law student i advise you all to develop mental health and substance abuse problems

this will make mafia easier somehwo

as a fellow law student I already have that and mafia isn't any easier. Maybe because my substance of choice is fooooood.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asphyxious posted:

Just as a, random example.

completely random and not targeted at all.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Next mafia should be pure, innocent town who know vegemite sucks versus evil scummy vege-likers.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anidav posted:

3. Bifauxnen's posting style has devolved from a somewhat analytical manner to posting giggles and appears to remain as the only poster posting about previous games. She might be busy with real life things but that's my interpretation.

psst

Anidav

I'm going to tell you a secret

it never really makes any loving difference how I post

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Matthew Beet posted:

I wasn't supporting anidav at all, I was suggesting that people on an anidav train warrant a closer look.

While it's not really out-and-out support, I feel like whenever Anidav comes up as a possible target, you start encouraging people to look in other directions.

Matthew Beet posted:

He shouldn't have come out saying 'I'm town' in a semi serious way. If anyone else had done that what would the response be? That's a scummy play.

Anidav is disarming because we treat him differently because I guess we think he's terrible. That's not good.

Sure, we know Anidav is a bad player. But just because he's not always lying when he claims town doesn't mean it isn't a scummy play, or at the very least, a suspicious play.

Matthew Beet posted:

So because he's such an obvious and east target I'm carefully scrutinising people who vote for him. He's a safe target for scum and likely to draw votes that don't get follow up.

I completely understand the "watch the bandwagon" ploy. It's a valid tactic, save for two factors:

1. It doesn't really serve as a scumcatcher if you announce you're doing it. If anything, it seems more like you're protecting Anidav, because anyone who votes against him after you say that is suddenly suspicious.
If he flips scum, that's going to look bad on you. That said, if he's actually town, that looks pretty good on you at first glance. You encouraged town to avoid jumping on a scum bandwagon, bravo.

My main issue is that you currently have no way of knowing whether Anidav is worth protecting or not, unless you are scum. At present moment no one (other than scum) has any reason to try to defend another town member. Discouraging people from voting for him is, as such, pretty suspect.

Matthew Beet posted:

Eh it's all I need. Gut feeling. It's day 1. Let me build my arguments on later days.

Your vote for me and the subsequent " oh haha I was only testing everyone who joined in is ow suspect" is a good ploy, but you'd need to know that I was town to be sure the others were scum. Or was it the other way around? Oh dear!
So which is it mastermind?

You called the very same tactic scummy when Gaspy did it to you!

Honestly, this is smelling pretty fishy.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

My main issue is that you currently have no way of knowing whether Anidav is worth protecting or not, unless you are scum. At present moment no one (other than scum) has any reason to try to defend another town member. Discouraging people from voting for him is, as such, pretty suspect.

The issue is that it's easy for scum to vote for Anidav without incriminating themselves if he flips town, so you don't get as much data as you would otherwise. HOWEVER, it's no worse than lynching someone at random in terms of "well you can't blame me for that when he flips town", AND you have the added advantage of removing a poster who's sole talent is to absolutely dominate and derail any productive scumhunting until somebody finally kills him.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Having either Mills or Anidav in an Auspol game is usually good for the scum, as they're big lynching targets.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Splode posted:

The issue is that it's easy for scum to vote for Anidav without incriminating themselves if he flips town, so you don't get as much data as you would otherwise. HOWEVER, it's no worse than lynching someone at random in terms of "well you can't blame me for that when he flips town", AND you have the added advantage of removing a poster who's sole talent is to absolutely dominate and derail any productive scumhunting until somebody finally kills him.

They should have sent a poet

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Beet's probably trying to give Anidav a fair shake of the sauce bottle because the little battler can't seem to catch a break, but fair dinkum I think he's taken it a bit too far and is making himself look dead set scummy on this one. As people have said, there's basically no reason to cover another player unless you're dinky-di scum trying to get town on side or look better once a player flips scum, but stone the crows ol' Beet's just a bit too sentimental at times I reckon.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Matthew Beet posted:

Chicken schnitzel in a cheese and bacon roll instead of a plain roll.

Try it.

It's like sex with the lights on.

so youve never actually tried one?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
No matter what I post, Splode's on my tail. It's a bit unfair. I just want to play.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Anidav posted:

No matter what I post, Splode's on my tail. It's a bit unfair. I just want to play.

Splode is a bloodhound. Help him find a better target and you should be alright. If you can't find one, well then why not you? Better an active scumhunter do their thing than just have a sleepy town roll over and die.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Asphyxious posted:

Beet's probably trying to give Anidav a fair shake of the sauce bottle because the little battler can't seem to catch a break, but fair dinkum I think he's taken it a bit too far and is making himself look dead set scummy on this one. As people have said, there's basically no reason to cover another player unless you're dinky-di scum trying to get town on side or look better once a player flips scum, but stone the crows ol' Beet's just a bit too sentimental at times I reckon.

You could be like me in my first game and be an idiot.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Asphyxious posted:

Ban for account sharing with Avvy imo

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Asphyxious posted:

My forensic linguistics spidey sense is tingling

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

you're really bad at reading.

While it's not really out-and-out support, I feel like whenever Anidav comes up as a possible target, you start encouraging people to look in other directions.

i'm not saying that at all. I'm saying lets have a look at who is voting anidav and why. if we dont have a focal point to discuss things, what else are we gonna talk about? the sexual tension between gaspy and i? i've never not once said lets not lynch gaspy, in fact i thought iv'e been leaning towards it. the only thing i've said today that could even support your argument was my comment:

Matthew Beet posted:

Has he ever had a chance to?

quote:

Sure, we know Anidav is a bad player. But just because he's not always lying when he claims town doesn't mean it isn't a scummy play, or at the very least, a suspicious play.

Uhh that's exactly what I was saying in the part you quoted. Thanks for agreeing with me I guess?

quote:

I completely understand the "watch the bandwagon" ploy. It's a valid tactic, save for two factors:

1. It doesn't really serve as a scumcatcher if you announce you're doing it. If anything, it seems more like you're protecting Anidav, because anyone who votes against him after you say that is suddenly suspicious.
If he flips scum, that's going to look bad on you. That said, if he's actually town, that looks pretty good on you at first glance. You encouraged town to avoid jumping on a scum bandwagon, bravo.

I actually said I was going to read later on who had already voted anidav prior to me posting that. I don't think anyone has voted him since, actually. FUNNY THAT.

quote:

this is what a terrible leap in logic looks like. you've made a flawed conclusion that i'm trying to defer a lynch off of anidav and trying to say i therefore must know his alignment because i'm defending him, ergo i'm scum.

quote:

2. You called the very same tactic scummy when Gaspy did it to you!

Gaspy tried to lead a lynch then turned around with an "AHA!". I've come in and said "i'm gonna look at why people are voting X." it's not the very same tactic. it's not even a similar tactic. they're like, third cousins at best dude.

quote:

Honestly, this is smelling pretty fishy

stop trying to manufacture 'evidence' to fit into your narrative.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asphyxious posted:

you're usually not one to fall for bad logic easily.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

SPELLING FIX

Matthew Beet posted:

i'm not saying that at all. I'm saying lets have a look at who is voting anidav and why. if we dont have a focal point to discuss things, what else are we gonna talk about? the sexual tension between gaspy and i? i've never not once said lets not lynch ANIDAV, in fact i thought iv'e been leaning towards it. the only thing i've said today that could even support your argument was my comment:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

##vote asphyxious

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Matthew Beet posted:

you're usually not one to fall for bad logic easily.

You're usually not one to take what I say at face value.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asphyxious posted:

You're usually not one to take what I say at face value.

actually, no, i do. you know why? because you're a terrible liar when scum and you try too hard to be funny because you know the second you go super serious mode i'll be on your like donkey kong on a banana.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Matthew Beet posted:

actually, no, i do. you know why? because you're a terrible liar when scum and you try too hard to be funny because you know the second you go super serious mode i'll be on your like donkey kong on a banana.

Uhhh I'm like the BEST liar when scum. Nice try though.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's day one, I already made a small constructive post. I will probably make more if town just lets me play for once and stops letting other posters set the narrative on me before I get any breathing room.

Like seriously, can I get some breathing room for once? Maybe lynching me will stop benefiting scum if you actually let me show you I can be a good town.

This always loving happens you guys just hit me like magnets and I have to role claim ruining all my value.(not a role claim)

Just treat me like a person rather than a target. Is it really that hard? I'm so loving sick of every Auspol mafia game being treated as a sequel to the previous.

This is a separate game with separate rules and roles. Treat it as if you've never met me and maybe we can have a productive day rather than a whole cycle of Anidav this and Anidav that. Just stop.

I hate it. I just want to play for fun.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Anidav posted:

It's day one, I already made a small constructive post. I will probably make more if town just lets me play for once and stops letting other posters set the narrative on me before I get any breathing room.

Like seriously, can I get some breathing room for once? Maybe lynching me will stop benefiting scum if you actually let me show you I can be a good town.

This always loving happens you guys just hit me like magnets and I have to role claim ruining all my value.(not a role claim)

Just treat me like a person rather than a target. Is it really that hard? I'm so loving sick of every Auspol mafia game being treated as a sequel to the previous.

This is a separate game with separate rules and roles. Treat it as if you've never met me and maybe we can have a productive day rather than a whole cycle of Anidav this and Anidav that. Just stop.

I hate it. I just want to play for fun.

##vote Anidav

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Matthew Beet posted:

i'm not saying that at all. I'm saying lets have a look at who is voting anidav and why. if we dont have a focal point to discuss things, what else are we gonna talk about? the sexual tension between gaspy and i? i've never not once said lets not lynch gaspy, in fact i thought iv'e been leaning towards it. the only thing i've said today that could even support your argument was my comment:

Uhh that's exactly what I was saying in the part you quoted. Thanks for agreeing with me I guess?

I actually said I was going to read later on who had already voted anidav prior to me posting that. I don't think anyone has voted him since, actually. FUNNY THAT.

this is what a terrible leap in logic looks like. you've made a flawed conclusion that i'm trying to defer a lynch off of anidav and trying to say i therefore must know his alignment because i'm defending him, ergo i'm scum.

Gaspy tried to lead a lynch then turned around with an "AHA!". I've come in and said "i'm gonna look at why people are voting X." it's not the very same tactic. it's not even a similar tactic. they're like, third cousins at best dude.

stop trying to manufacture 'evidence' to fit into your narrative.

I still honestly believe you're trying to defer a lynch from Anidav, and you certainly haven't posted anything that suggests you're for it.

It is absolutely unsurprising that no one voted for Anidav after your post. It smells like a trap a mile away, for the reasons I specified.

Do you want some more time to rethink your argument, or at least start suggesting you're working towards the things you claim that you're working towards? Because all you've done to attack my arguments is say that they're flawed.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Matthew Beet posted:

##vote asphyxious

Asphyxious posted:

##vote Anidav

Do you think jumping on a train will save you from Beet's wrath?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
So many fake meltdowns and slap fights

If this were really a democracy you'd vote me dictator and give me emergency powers to hunt out the scum that will slip through the gaps because we can only lynch one person a day. Classic Labor inefficiency

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I still honestly believe you're trying to defer a lynch from Anidav, and you certainly haven't posted anything that suggests you're for it.

It is absolutely unsurprising that no one voted for Anidav after your post. It smells like a trap a mile away, for the reasons I specified.

Do you want some more time to rethink your argument, or at least start suggesting you're working towards the things you claim that you're working towards? Because all you've done to attack my arguments is say that they're flawed.

It's completely unsurprising that no one voted for anidav after my post? It's a trap? So what, all of the scum and all of town are in on it? That's your argument? seriously?

in light of that i don't see why i have to repeat the points i've already made, I'll sum it up easily for you:

* you've misinterpreted me (or are deliberately misrepresenting me) and from there have drawn a flawed conclusion that i'm trying to protect anidav. everything else you've written stems from there. your whole argument is based on a flawed assumption therefore everything afterwards is wrong. Try and find some evidence on me saying 'don't lynch anidav'.
* I've been trying to say that anidav is dangerous because we tend to treat him differently than other players because we think he's either really bad at the game or harmlessly naive. from there i've suggested he's probably then a liability if town (anything) OR completely dangerous because he'll slink on through to the end of the game ignored. This is in fact me arguing that it's probably a good reason to actually lynch him based on the way everyone skirts around him and his play style or scoffs at him.

so in summary, yes, your arguments are flawed. when i'm saying that he's a risk to leave around because we treat him differently than everyone else, you seem to think i'm saying something completely different?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

So many fake meltdowns and slap fights

If this were really a democracy you'd vote me dictator and give me emergency powers to hunt out the scum that will slip through the gaps because we can only lynch one person a day. Classic Labor inefficiency

none of these are meltdowns. keep watching anidav.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Anidav posted:

Do you think jumping on a train will save you from Beet's wrath?

No I thought responding to your whining with a swift kick was funny. I don't care what Beet does.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Well Anidavs whinge above was faker than my... Something funny because I'm sick now too

Are you telling me that he is gonna flip out and the kindergarten-level fake out is going to blossom into a real tantrum when nobody falls for it?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Asphyxious posted:

##vote Anidav

5'd

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Only the mods and deaddoc truly know when an anidav meltdown is in full flight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Has anybody ever run a game where there are no scum at all and the murdered victims are just chosen at random each night? I think that'd be pretty funny

• Locked thread