Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DStecks posted:

I'm really not sure how people come away from Hotline Miami, a game about being a literally insane murderer on a chaotic killing spree, and say "this dumb game is too chaotic and unpredictable!" Sometimes you just get hosed by the RNG, which is why the game lets you reload immediately with no penalty or load time.

The game isn't about figuring out the one correct route, it's about zoning out and reacting moment to moment and just going for it. It's not Hitman.

In Hotline Miami 2, floors can have 20 or more enemies. Each floor is really large and has long sight lines for enemies to attack you, and it just compounds ways to gently caress up on top of ways to just get hosed by RNG. And in the first game it's not a huge issue because most of the floors (even in the later levels) don't have that many enemies, and they're smaller and more manageable. Getting hosed by the RNG isn't a real issue because in HLM1 you're out, what, fifteen seconds? But there are so many ways to just get killed from off screen, or get ruined by situations you can't expect from enemies behind windows and doors and all this poo poo, that it really does feel like you have to sort of bear through it with repetition (well, this time I know there's a shotgun dude behind this door through the window, so now I know how to react) and usually it bears out that way... until it doesn't.

I mean, I actually went back and replayed the first half of HLM1 the other day, and you really can just zone out and dash from room to room, stabbing people, but in HLM2 if you play around aimlessly you won't really get anywhere, there's too many ways to get murked and lose like a minute of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I know this thread doesn't give games that much praise, but Hotline Miami 2 sounds like a frustrating piece of garbage.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
HLM2 isn't a BAD game, but it's obviously going to get compared to HLM1 and being as good as that game is hard. But it feels like the devs forgot what made HLM1 good (which could be a whole post by itself), and with the time spent between the games it feels awfully HLM1.5. It's just more of the same, but the same isn't as good.

Spoilers, but they're about halfway through the game: It also has character development, which is cool, but it then kills off the characters before there's any real payoff to it. Which is very Hotline Miami, but still really lovely

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DStecks posted:

I'm really not sure how people come away from Hotline Miami, a game about being a literally insane murderer on a chaotic killing spree, and say "this dumb game is too chaotic and unpredictable!" Sometimes you just get hosed by the RNG, which is why the game lets you reload immediately with no penalty or load time.

The game isn't about figuring out the one correct route, it's about zoning out and reacting moment to moment and just going for it. It's not Hitman.

Both games hammer it into you that "enemies are predictable". They are not. hth.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I've spent more time reading about how hm1 & 2 suck itt, than playing both to completion.

What I'm saying is enemies in this thread have terrible AI

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The mine cart stages in DK Tropical Freeze really suck.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
For those of you unfamiliar with college football, if you are coming out of high school and are talented but don't have the grades to get into a real university you'll typically enroll in what's called a "junior college." This gives you the opportunity to keep working out, keep playing football, and take a bunch of easy classes to get your GPA up to an acceptable level in order to transfer. Every year, in real life, Juco kids transfer into top tier programs and are immediate starters. Great athletes. Terrible students.

In NCAA 14 (RIP college football video games) you can recruit junior college transfers but they are all loving garbage. Unless you are coaching a lovely program and are desperately trying to fill a need then you have no reason to spend time recruiting those kids.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

No they're terrible and that's terrible writing.

Yeah but Irenicus' actor completely commits to it, he speaks with such conviction, even if it's nonsense. That man could make Metal Gear Solid sound like Shakespeare.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

The mine cart stages in DK Tropical Freeze really suck.

I didn't find them that bad, but the water stages were super terrible. Returns is the best DKC by default because it's the only one with no swimming.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Tyrannosaurus posted:

For those of you unfamiliar with college football, if you are coming out of high school and are talented but don't have the grades to get into a real university you'll typically enroll in what's called a "junior college." This gives you the opportunity to keep working out, keep playing football, and take a bunch of easy classes to get your GPA up to an acceptable level in order to transfer. Every year, in real life, Juco kids transfer into top tier programs and are immediate starters. Great athletes. Terrible students.

In NCAA 14 (RIP college football video games) you can recruit junior college transfers but they are all loving garbage. Unless you are coaching a lovely program and are desperately trying to fill a need then you have no reason to spend time recruiting those kids.

Man, sports games could have their own thread. One of my favorite sports games ever were the All Star Baseball games from 2003-5. They, unlike competitors, actually had real-to-life GM systems, including complex poo poo like the Rule 5 Draft and designating players for assignment. But, the drat thing was programmed so poorly I never made it longer than five years into a sim before something would crash the ps2.

Also, if you managed to get very far into the future, there were bugs where a few players wouldn't retire at all, resulting in poo poo like an F rated Randy Johnson still playing at age 57.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah but Irenicus' actor completely commits to it, he speaks with such conviction, even if it's nonsense. That man could make Metal Gear Solid sound like Shakespeare.
That's true, he owns. 90s RPGs had loving great voice actors for some reason.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The thing dragging Infamous Second Son down is that I played First Light first and it's better in every single way.

Edit: Also the downfall of cheat codes. Open world games were so much more fun when I could press some buttons and get free reign to gently caress around.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

A major thing dragging games down is the lack of cheat codes. Now it's dlc

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

pros: good graphics, solid gameplay, enjoyable writing

cons: doesn't remind me of when i was 12

4/10

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Alouicious posted:

pros: good graphics, solid gameplay, enjoyable writing

cons: doesn't remind me of when i was 12

4/10

In two sentences explain why I shouldnt be able to spawn a tank in my rpgs

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vic posted:

In two sentences explain why I shouldnt be able to spawn a tank in my rpgs
Summoners are OP. You're DPS and you can spawn a tank? Not cool.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's true, he owns. 90s RPGs had loving great voice actors for some reason.

I reckon it's the modern emphasis on character animation and facial expression capture. Nobody is putting the care into the voice recording that they once needed to have.

Do many game devs have specific voice directors for their games? Ellen McLain has spoken about how much she loved the voice coaching she got while working on Portal - and Valve haven't had a bad voice performance since 1997. Then you get poo poo like Claudia Black in DA:I, Peter Dinklage in Destiny, or James Cosmo in Game of Thrones, where otherwise fantastic actors deliver some absolutely painful and uninspired line readings.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I liked Dinklage in Destiny. He perfectly conveys how bored an immortal robot would be. Your player character ends up mocking him in story cutscenes.

Dragging Destiny down is the feeling that there was meant to be way more to it. As far as I know (and granted I haven't bothered really looking, because that's time I could spend shooting aliens with lasers) there's no in-game way to get alternate Ghost shells. With the exception of the DLC speeder, the various vehicles are almost entirely interchangeable.

And gently caress trying to power through an exotic weapon bounty only to realize that it requires Xur at one point, and it's four days until they show up.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you go for a drive on the various planets on patrol you'll find areas guarded by max level enemies which seemingly lead to something but obviously the game was rushed and unfinished, the most glaring one is in venus, there's a an area guarded by 2 level 20 gold energy bar minotaurs, if you kill them and go to area that they're guarding you'll find a ton more level 20 enemies and at the end some sort of teleporter thing, there's nothing like that teleporter in the entire game.

Add to the fact that you have people like Lance Reddick, Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres and Claudia Black in the tower and all they do is give little flavor text for some strikes or quip occasionally and yea, Destiny was clearly planned as a much larger game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

Destiny was clearly planned as a much larger game. DLC delivery system.

FTFY.

I expect we'll see most of the "unfinished" content finished in DLC addons. It's the Activision way. The base game story mode is essentially a tour of future DLC plothooks more than a proper story in itself.

Which is a shame as I do agree with the sentiment the game would be good with more content (and maybe the grindy bullshit cut down a bit.)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The thing dragging Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition for me is the bugs. I'm at the end of Derelict and if you fire into the water that leads to the exit the game hard locks my PS3 :(

Also those shrinker enemies. loving things are everywhere and are annoying to fight, not challenging.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My problem with Destiny is that once you get to a certain point there's nothing to do but raid, and Bungie does absolutely nothing to help you find a raid group so gently caress it. All the game's hype just had me expecting way more actual stuff in the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

My problem with Destiny is that once you get to a certain point there's nothing to do but raid, and Bungie does absolutely nothing to help you find a raid group so gently caress it. All the game's hype just had me expecting way more actual stuff in the game.

That was the point. The hype was all from the top down, deliberately constructed so people would expect actual content instead of a self-important Skinner box. Destiny's all sizzle and no steak.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's so effective that people will play until level thirty and complain all the way there about how terrible the game is.

Or at least from what I've seen of people who play it.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I'm trying to play Command and Conquer 3 again and the unit pathfinding is so horrible that I've dropped it after the 5th GDI mission. Tanks are getting stuck on one another, bunching up in long lines even more often than seems usual for a RTS game and the terrain doodads are incomprehensible. My guys will be able to shoot from the other side of a parked car but if some knee-high pipes are in the way, they have to walk around and get massacred by the tank/turret/flamethrower I was trying to keep them away from. Maybe it's just rose colored glasses, but I remember the pathfinding being much more tolerable in Generals and it's downright perfect in RA3.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm about half way through this thread but it bears repeating if so. I'm tired of games not differentiating between vanilla content and DLC content. I'd like to know what it is that I put the extra effort in to get.

Oddly enough, this became apparent to me when I was watching Stripes with the deleted scenes added in and each one had a banner indicating it was a deleted scene. I think New Vegas had something like that next to items. Dishonoured and Shadow of Mordor have left me guessing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
Because I've finally got a computer that can run it with both a decent framerate and graphics settings, I've been playing Farcry 3: Blood Dragon, which is a pretty decently fun game. I'm mostly there for the setting and writing; the gameplay's decent, and I can definitely have fun, but it's really not my kind of game.

The thing dragging the game down for me is the fact the player character is just way too swear-y in his dialog. It's clear that they wanted to make a macho 80s action hero, the sort of character that'd be played by Stallone or Schwarzenegger, and he's got a lot of those gruff action-movie one-liners that work really well for that... but then he pulls a 'goddamn cock-sucking motherfucker' out of nowhere for no good reason, and I feel like it actually hurts the rest of the game. The entire rest of the setting is this gloriously 80s cyberpunk cheese, with all the other characters playing it exactly as straight as they should be, but we're stuck playing this lazy, half-hearted attempt at badass that ruins the notes more often than he hits them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

He's a parody of badasses, not an actual badass. Way to miss the point, dickshitter.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Cursing a lot is funny!!" is just another one of the 10,000 reasons why Blood Dragon is actually lame and not cool

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Because I've finally got a computer that can run it with both a decent framerate and graphics settings, I've been playing Farcry 3: Blood Dragon, which is a pretty decently fun game. I'm mostly there for the setting and writing; the gameplay's decent, and I can definitely have fun, but it's really not my kind of game.

The thing dragging the game down for me is the fact the player character is just way too swear-y in his dialog. It's clear that they wanted to make a macho 80s action hero, the sort of character that'd be played by Stallone or Schwarzenegger, and he's got a lot of those gruff action-movie one-liners that work really well for that... but then he pulls a 'goddamn cock-sucking motherfucker' out of nowhere for no good reason, and I feel like it actually hurts the rest of the game. The entire rest of the setting is this gloriously 80s cyberpunk cheese, with all the other characters playing it exactly as straight as they should be, but we're stuck playing this lazy, half-hearted attempt at badass that ruins the notes more often than he hits them.

I completely agree, the game has a tendency to be entirely self-aware and parody action movie poo poo without committing to it. Kinda like the tutorial jokes while being in a lovely tutorial. Having a swear-happy parody of an action hero falls flat when they can't even make the swear-happiness good or funny, just grating. If you're making a game about machismo-in-excess as a punchline, you gotta commit or find a better way to turn the tables on cliches like that. It just existing isn't parody, it has to be grossly overdone or outright mocked, otherwise it's just another bit of lazy genre-reference without payoff

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

death .cab for qt posted:

I completely agree, the game has a tendency to be entirely self-aware and parody action movie poo poo without committing to it. Kinda like the tutorial jokes while being in a lovely tutorial. Having a swear-happy parody of an action hero falls flat when they can't even make the swear-happiness good or funny, just grating. If you're making a game about machismo-in-excess as a punchline, you gotta commit or find a better way to turn the tables on cliches like that. It just existing isn't parody, it has to be grossly overdone or outright mocked, otherwise it's just another bit of lazy genre-reference without payoff

Funnily enough, not understanding how to write parody was base Far Cry 3's problem too.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Heavy Lobster posted:

Funnily enough, not understanding how to write parody was base Far Cry 3's is Ubisoft's problem too.

I'm always put off during Ubisoft games by the writing. All the Assassin's Creed hero dialogue is just so...13 year old badass. I like the idea, and the jumpy climby stabby shooting stuff, despite the occasionally unmanageable controls, but the writing is just dreadful.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

That, for me, was why Assassin's Creed 2 will always be the best AC game, because it's the one that feels like it's trying the least to be cool and is instead just going for fun. Ezio isn't a brooding loner, he's a suave goof, even after his family is brutally murdered. He has a certain joie de vivre that you basically never ever see in modern game protagonsists. He also has a bunch of adorable moments with Leonardo da Vinci that are a lovely contrast to the usual Ubisoft "everyone who gives you missions is a prick you're only working with because you have to" style.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Valiant Hearts, another smaller game by Ubiart: the story is simplistic, but engaging and the characters enjoyable, the art is nice and properly cartoony, which contrasts nicely with the horrors it depicts. However, it seems they did not think the gameplay all the way through and various gimmicks tend to overstay their welcome - it is fun to drive around bombs falling down to the tones of the classical music, but there has been two of those sections so far and they are longer than they should be (maybe to last the entirety of the piece); also, the introduction of QTEs was a misstep - they add nothing to the game and the sequences are far longer than necessary, making them a slog.

Maybe they are a commentary on the art and how a game about war and its goings on should not be fun or that there is an ever-present danger included, but a while ago I've thrown a grenade to blow up a guy a few times while using pipe organs to move his vehicle in order to be near my throwing range and I don't think this meshes well with that sentiment. Quite literally, the gameplay drags the game down for me.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Mar 16, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I remember Far Cry 2's writing being alright but the dialogue was all voiced incredibly strangely. Every character speaks as if they suddenly realized they had to send the game in for certification tomorrow and had only one day to do all their voice work. Both the random NPCs and every single named character rush through their lines as fast as they can (it's not just a dialect either because most of the characters have very different nationalities and backgrounds, but everyone has the same super rushed tone). It's not one of the things that really drags far cry 2 down, but it does get pretty silly when the jackal saves your life for the fifth time for no reason, only to furiously recite another paragraph of nietzsche or heart of darkness at you as fast as he possibly can before running away.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DStecks posted:

That, for me, was why Assassin's Creed 2 will always be the best AC game, because it's the one that feels like it's trying the least to be cool and is instead just going for fun. Ezio isn't a brooding loner, he's a suave goof, even after his family is brutally murdered. He has a certain joie de vivre that you basically never ever see in modern game protagonsists. He also has a bunch of adorable moments with Leonardo da Vinci that are a lovely contrast to the usual Ubisoft "everyone who gives you missions is a prick you're only working with because you have to" style.

They mix it up in 4. In that one Kenway is the prick people only work with because they have to. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Who What Now posted:

They mix it up in 4. In that one Kenway is the prick people only work with because they have to. :v:

The scene near the end where Kenway realizes what a poo poo he is was probably the best setpiece in the series, for me.

"Is everything you do out of spite, Edward?"

"It's not spite that drives me, Mary. It's courage!"

"Courage for what, man!? There's no one in your life to care!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

death .cab for qt posted:

I stopped playing for the first time pretty early on, after what I'm now realizing is the exact high point of the game, and the clearest proof that someone on the team knew exactly how they should be writing Rex Colt.

"No thanks, Doc. I made a promise to a special lady."
"Your wife?"
"No... Lady Liberty. She told me that winners... don't do drugs."

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

NBA2k15 has a career mode where you basically create a character, sign up with an NBA team and try to win some games. The only thing is that the game expects (and acts) like your the next Michael Jordan. So even though you turn the ball over to the other team 10 times (5 is already way too high) for 3 games straight, and are basically hogging the ball up and down the court, the coach will keep giving you more minutes per game as if you weren't the most poisonous thing to the team's chemistry and chances of winning.

It's just kind of frustrating (and unrealistic) that there's no way to play the career mode where you're just a regular player, not the second coming of basketball jesus

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Oxxidation posted:

The scene near the end where Kenway realizes what a poo poo he is was probably the best setpiece in the series, for me.

"Is everything you do out of spite, Edward?"

"It's not spite that drives me, Mary. It's courage!"

"Courage for what, man!? There's no one in your life to care!"

Maybe Assassin's Creed just follows the rule of Star Trek Movies.

Only play the even numbered ones.