Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

Why do some level screens have blood dripping and others don't?

I believe Slayer has the answer to that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Why do some level screens have blood dripping and others don't?

Usually it's a sign that an important character is going to bite it. The Henchman dies after Execution is finished, for example.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I was hoping for someone to write out the number, not give me the textbook explanation, but attempting to write it out proved to be worthless as I ran out of space. :negative:

:confused: We both wrote out the number; it's 2171250.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Does Richter have any special ability? like the detective, which appears to have none, but it's really just subtle.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Probably shoulda gave him a silenced Uzi.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Richter looks after his mumsy better than all the other characters and that's the most special ability of all :colbert:

vv He can execute with all the guns and maintain posession of them afterwards. He's best with the shotgun as it expends no ammo and doesn't alert anyone. He also has a special animation for turning rapidly when using a gun which looks rad.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 16, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Does Richter have any special ability? like the detective, which appears to have none, but it's really just subtle.

What IS the Detective's ability?

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

yeah I didn't die on the top floor of chapter 15! yeah!

yeah I didn't press a key to get the floppy disk ARGH

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Under the vegetable posted:

Considering the rape scene in the first level is almost directly lifted from Perfect Blue I'd say either they are or they're into a lot of the same themes as Kon anyway.

Yeah, that was straight out of Perfect Blue. If these guys haven't seen that movie I'll be very surprised.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Speedball posted:

His ability is that he has a shotgun in the trunk of his car at the start of the level, and that he has special shotgun animations. If you quickly turn with a shotgun he'll hold it outstretched in one hand and keep it that way until you press space or wait a while. He also turns faster with it than most others. He also has a unique shotgun finisher that doesn't use ammo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gently caress trophy 2k15 posted:

He didn't. Go look at the courtroom scene again.

Is it me or is Jacket playing with the same remote that Richard uses at the start of NG+/Hard?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Speedball posted:

The trunk of his car has space for one (1) victim.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

RBA Starblade posted:

Is it me or is Jacket playing with the same remote that Richard uses at the start of NG+/Hard?

Looks to me like he's just rolling a pen back and forth

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Hollenhammer posted:

yeah I didn't die on the top floor of chapter 15! yeah!

yeah I didn't press a key to get the floppy disk ARGH

Yeah they shoulda made that part automatic because my first time through that level I didn't die, and I probably never would've realized that there was a special thing going on there without reading the thread afterwards. I died a lot when I replayed it.

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
How in the world do you unlock hard mode? I have at least a C+ on every level, but there's no option to start hard mode in new game and nothing on the continue screen.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Annoying Reveler posted:

How in the world do you unlock hard mode? I have at least a C+ on every level, but there's no option to start hard mode in new game and nothing on the continue screen.

I have levels with D's and yet Hard mode is right there as a final option if I scroll all the way to the right on the Continue screen.

Not that I'm ever going to try it, but it's there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Annoying Reveler posted:

Press space on the continue screen?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

King Vidiot posted:

Not that I'm ever going to try it, but it's there.

Don't write it off so soon! I made my way through the game with generally C+ grades, then went to As and Bs in the few early hard levels I did. It's cool because the combination of gitting gud and the hard mode additions makes you play more Hotliney, forcing you to make some of those mad "punch a russkie, throw his crowbar at the second one and defend with his pistol" dashes. Well, at least in the early levels.

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
I'm playing on the vita and there is absolutely no indication that hard mode is available. I've read that it's available in new game and by pressing square on the continue screen, but I'm not getting anything.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

Yes, having the best levels

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Annoying Reveler posted:

I'm playing on the vita and there is absolutely no indication that hard mode is available. I've read that it's available in new game and by pressing square on the continue screen, but I'm not getting anything.
Fairly certain it only becomes available after beating Apocalypse.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Maybe this is "out there" since the two series couldn't be more different, but I'm drawing a lot of mental comparisons between Hotline Miami/Hotline Miami 2 and the first two Katamari Damacy games. Both were designed by guys who were sort of "punk" artists who took a cavalier attitude towards game design, the first games were very small and concise and low-budget, one of the most commented-on aspect of each was the soundtrack, the first games in the series were small and simplistic and introduced the core concepts while the sequels introduced wildly-divergent elements to mix up the gameplay. The sequels to both Katamari Damacy and Hotline Miami were direct responses to fan reactions of the original games. "Fans" are a big element in both games, with the game itself directly commenting on the fandom and what they expect from the franchise. The sequels also included more traditional levels in addition to levels which added some gimmick or constraint.

But where Katamari Damacy refused to die because it's an IP owned by a large publisher, Hotline Miami got to finish conclusively with its sequel and is probably all the better for it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The katamari ball would make a really good Hotline Miami weapon

Refused
Sep 6, 2005

Annoying Reveler posted:

When I originally beat the final mission on ps3 hard mode would show up on the mission select screen. Then I went back to get the Abyss and Biker scenes, and the hard mode prompt disappeared. I had to play through the final mission again to get hard mode to show up, so try that maybe?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

memy posted:

Looks to me like he's just rolling a pen back and forth
It's either a pen or a ball. Jacket is also in Richter's jail chapter I think, tossing a ball while talking to his lawyer

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm sure it's been asked but I can't find information anywhere.

Is there an official site to download or buy the whole soundtrack from? I don't want to pirate it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Louisgod posted:

I'm sure it's been asked but I can't find information anywhere.

Is there an official site to download or buy the whole soundtrack from? I don't want to pirate it.

You can get it on Steam but I haven't checked anywhere else. Also it's listed as DLC so I don't know if you have to own the game first. Not sure what you're gaming on.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Wamdoodle posted:

You can get it on Steam but I haven't checked anywhere else. Also it's listed as DLC so I don't know if you have to own the game first. Not sure what you're gaming on.

I don't own the game yet (and would get it on the PS3 eventually) but was hoping the soundtrack would be fore sale separately. Oh well, thanks!

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002

Refused posted:

When I originally beat the final mission on ps3 hard mode would show up on the mission select screen. Then I went back to get the Abyss and Biker scenes, and the hard mode prompt disappeared. I had to play through the final mission again to get hard mode to show up, so try that maybe?

That did the trick! Much appreciated.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe this is "out there" since the two series couldn't be more different, but I'm drawing a lot of mental comparisons between Hotline Miami/Hotline Miami 2 and the first two Katamari Damacy games. Both were designed by guys who were sort of "punk" artists who took a cavalier attitude towards game design, the first games were very small and concise and low-budget, one of the most commented-on aspect of each was the soundtrack, the first games in the series were small and simplistic and introduced the core concepts while the sequels introduced wildly-divergent elements to mix up the gameplay. The sequels to both Katamari Damacy and Hotline Miami were direct responses to fan reactions of the original games. "Fans" are a big element in both games, with the game itself directly commenting on the fandom and what they expect from the franchise. The sequels also included more traditional levels in addition to levels which added some gimmick or constraint.

But where Katamari Damacy refused to die because it's an IP owned by a large publisher, Hotline Miami got to finish conclusively with its sequel and is probably all the better for it.

I like this analysis.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Don't discount Hard mode right off the bat. It's pretty fun and forces you to blitz through certain segments and pull off some cool poo poo.

I've been trying to S rank them as I go along and I managed it on Homicide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEfZSuzjA0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDL5D1hi9o

Two separate runs but you get the idea.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Please don't compare We ♥ Katamari to this steaming pile of poo poo. It mixed up the gameplay of the first game in far more inventive and fun ways than HLM2 could ever dream of.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is there a list of weapons anywhere? I just need that trophy for using them all and the one for killing 50,000 people to get the platinum trophy

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Is there a list of weapons anywhere? I just need that trophy for using them all and the one for killing 50,000 people to get the platinum trophy

In the Jake level with the meth labs, there's a fire extinguisher (I think?), there's the skateboard in the first Henchman level, and there's two unique ones in the prison.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
I didn't make it to the release party Friday night, but this was a cool thing at the Devolver booth at SXSW

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 16, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
what the gently caress is the story significance of the abyss? I just killed a bunch of people and left.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Full Battle Rattle posted:

What the gently caress is the story significance of the abyss? I just killed a bunch of people and left.

It's the 50 Blessings building that Jake goes to just long abandoned and spookified.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

what the gently caress is the story significance of the abyss? I just killed a bunch of people and left.

Poor Evan.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No idea. Total mystery. It might be either a sequel hook or a "spooky for the sake of spookiness" thing, since the souls of all the previous Mask killers - including that of Richard/Jacket, who's not even dead - chilling out in the back room of a nuke-proof warehouse is out there even by Hotline's standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Jizz Festival posted:

Please don't compare We ♥ Katamari to this steaming pile of poo poo. It mixed up the gameplay of the first game in far more inventive and fun ways than HLM2 could ever dream of.

They're both really good games. You being angry at Hotline Miami 2 doesn't make it a bad game.

You can also extend that to any game that you or anyone else personally doesn't like, nobody is the end-all arbiter of Good and Bad.

• Locked thread