Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
You know a console has a poo poo controller when the best option is a third party product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mario Kart 64 battle mode is still the best poo poo ever, aside from the frame rate issues on Skyscraper. (seriously, who ok'd that?)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Final Fantasy VII is what got me to choose a PS1 over the N64 back in the day, and Resident Evil, Tekken 2 and Twisted Metal 2 just turbocharged the process.

I'll admit that a lot of PS1 games look like crap, but I honestly can't see much in the N64 library that appeals to me so I still don't have one and don't really care about ever owning one. Maybe if it was unbelievably cheap/free. My impression of the N64 is that it's mostly racing games and a ton of 3D platformers, the former of which I suck at and the latter of which I'm not too huge a fan of. Combine that with the fact that developers didn't have a perfect grasp on how to make a good 3d platformer and :shrug:, the appeal is lost on me personally. That's to say nothing of the dearth of RPGs.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quiet Feet posted:

That's to say nothing of the dearth of RPGs.

Uh, excuse me?! Hybrid Heaven? Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage? QUEST 64? Keep the change, kid.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Quiet Feet posted:

Final Fantasy VII is what got me to choose a PS1 over the N64 back in the day

see, i just chose both because video games are fun. however, i generally find it easier to go back to my n64 collection.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 16, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I was really into Glover back when that was new. I don't really understand why.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mikeycp posted:

I was really into Glover back when that was new. I don't really understand why.

Glover was a kinda cool concept at the time. Don't go back and play it now though, you'll hate your childhood as much as I did when I went back and played Shadows of the Empire a few years ago :sweatdrop:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cubey posted:

Glover was a kinda cool concept at the time. Don't go back and play it now though, you'll hate your childhood as much as I did when I went back and played Shadows of the Empire a few years ago :sweatdrop:

SOTE was going pretty good for me until that stupid hoverbike level on Tatooine or whatever. I should settle down and try to beat it but, well, got other stuff to distract me.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

SOTE was going pretty good for me until that stupid hoverbike level on Tatooine or whatever. I should settle down and try to beat it but, well, got other stuff to distract me.

I'm in the minority in that I actually quite like that level. If you want some real bad speederbike poo poo, play Rebel Strike.

please for the love of god don't actually play Rebel Strike

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's time for another wall of text! Feel free to correct errors and omissions, especially in the software department, no doubt you guys know of gems I don't.

Launched in November 2005, the Xbox 360 enjoyed quite a long run of success in countries like the U.S. and U.K. with limited success elsewhere. The PS3 launched a year later and had some teething issues; it had an extremely high price point (the "cheap" PS3 was $200 more than the cheap 360 was at launch; mostly due to hidden costs with the 360, but still, public perceptions and all) and was harder to develop for, meaning a lot of games for the first few years had superior 360 versions compared to the PS3. The 360 also, due to the lower-end model not having a hard drive, required until 2013 that every game was playable single player, patched, without a hard drive, meaning if you had a set mind about playing a single player game immediately, you could be in the game less than a minute after sticking the disc in for the first time. That said, having games install data has some advantages that the PS3 was starting to crush the 360 with, so starting with GTA5 games started appearing on the 360 which required a storage medium (and some even require an official Microsoft hard drive).

Before I forget here's a site I maintain which keeps track of which 360 games aren't available digitally, which require storage or a hard drive, and various other odds and ends hard to find in one convenient location elsewhere: https://physicalgames.wordpress.com/xbox360/

The console is online multiplayer-capable although this requires a subscription ($60 a year normally although goes on sale frequently, usually dropping to around $40) for every account wishing to play online. Some games have LAN play support (some Forza Motorsport titles even support multi-monitor using several networked consoles), as well as split screen. It used to require a subscription for any online application other than the store, including Netflix and even Internet Explorer, although this restriction has been removed in a recent console update.

Note that I won't be covering modding the console (softmodding or otherwise), it's a pretty convoluted setup and depends on a ton of unlisted factors like your drive's firmware or poo poo like that I don't know. Running a modded console carries significant risks of your console being permanently banned from Xbox Live (and they usually ban in waves to keep people guessing).

General advantages over the PS3

- Almost all single player games are "stick in and play". No lengthy install or patch download required. Note that some recent games do require install, and all bets are off with multiplayer and DLC.
- Almost all disc-based games can be fully installed, reducing disc wear (you still need the disc to play, but only for a license check). A few games forbid installation or can be glitchy when installed.
- The console launched a year before the PS3 and was easier to develop for, plus had better RAM distribution which made some PS3 ports disastrous (e.g. Elder Scrolls and Fallout games) while the 360 versions were fine.
- The console has an excellent upscaler. If your TV can do 1080i but not 720p, 360 games will almost always look better than their PS3 version, which will be forced to downstep to 480p if the game doesn't render at 1080i natively (which almost no games on PS3 do).
- Became the "default" system for a few games like Call of Duty, and are generally the most populated versions of those games.
- Widely considered to have one of the best online gaming services in terms of features offered such as party capability.

A general note on models

Every generation of 360 has effectively two kinds of SKU: one with flash storage (either no storage, 128 megs, 256 megs or 4 gigs), and one with a hard drive (20, 60, 120, 250, 320 or 500 gigs). You can also use up to two USB storage mediums (if they pass the minimum speed tests), up to 32 gigs of storage each (Microsoft sold official 8 and 16 gig USB storage devices which are fast enough for the 360). Note that a few games starting in 2014 REQUIRE a hard drive and can't take advantage of USB storage. Third-party hard drives exist but unfortunately these games generally only recognize official Microsoft hard drives, which are expensive for what they are (generally $100-$200 when a loose hard drive would be less than half that price). Official Microsoft hard drives come with a cable allowing you to transfer an old storage device's content to the new drive. It's recommended to get a console which already comes with a hard drive, as you can also install most (but not all) disc-based games to preserve wear and tear on the disc drive (it will only need the disc for ownership checking when launching a fully-installed game).

AC Adapters vary wildly so try to get a console with one included if possible. Fortunately, each one has its own connector type so ensure it matches your connector exactly when replacing it (and go through Microsoft if possible).

History of models.

Left to right: Original model (a.k.a. "fat", a.k.a. "Red Ring of Death", Xbox 360 S (a.k.a. "slim"), Xbox 360 E

The iconic original "fat" 360 is also, ironically, the one you almost certainly don't want. An engineering design flaw caused severe overheating, and "fat" 360's were so failure-prone from the red ring of death due to chips burning up or separating from the motherboard that Microsoft was eventually forced to extend warranties and refund repairs, costing them a billion dollars. They attempted to fix this with later revisions of this model, although it's widely considered that all models of this type are still failure-prone in this way. The only real advantage is having the original pre-Kinect "blade" dashboard (if it wasn't updated), which many people prefer over the ad-laden tile system later introduced. It also had changeable faceplates. Early models had no HDMI port, although later "fat" revisions did. They also had no built-in wireless. An official wireless adapter was sold for $99, clips to the back and connects via USB. Finally, if you want to use Kinect with this model, there is an adapter required (included with new boxed Kinects) which powers it with a separate AC adapter. Later models of 360 have a proprietary port which also supplies the power required by Kinect.

The 360 S is the recommended model; it's extremely quiet (hard to tell it's even on if it's not reading a disc), has built-in wireless, and has the full range of hookup options.

The 360 E is the latest model, launched for people who want their entertainment system to have good feng shui or something, as it looks similar to the Xbox One (so if you have that too it's more matching). That said, it is only capable of composite (via a headphone-like connector) or HDMI, so if you want to use other hookup methods or optical audio (like to use with a headset) you are SOL. Also has one fewer USB port. It's a cost saver for Microsoft, nothing more.

The fat 360 and 360 S have a variety of limited editions (mostly themed around Microsoft properties). There's an R2D2 360 S, too (although I think it's rare and expensive, as it was $350 during its brief window of availability). The 360 S makes noises when pushing buttons (power and eject) on the console itself which can be themed as well. These can't be disabled or volume adjusted, although if you power the console from the controller and eject from the dashboard, no noise is made.

General notes on games

All disc-based games have at least 1000 achievement points, and downloadable "arcade" games have at least 200 points if that's you're thing, with some games offering more due to new content added in later (either paid or free DLC).

Prior to GTA 5, all games have a maximum patch size of 64 megabytes, although some games sneak around this by including larger patch content required for multiplayer in free DLC packs (usually called "compatibility packs"). In an attempt to curb reckless programming, Microsoft's patch approval process for devs was complicated and would only give them one free patch, with subsequent patches carrying a $40,000 (regardless of who you were, meaning Activision and EA would just pay it for their games since they're huge, while smaller companies and indie titles would go without fixes to known bugs). Obviously, this didn't work as planned. Games also couldn't get the same degree of regular content updates, so Team Fortress 2 (part of The Orange Box) and Payday 2, along with other games, are time capsules into what those games were like at launch.

Games are on standard DVD-9's, with copy protection reducing the maximum storage size. Launch games were at most 6.8 gigs per disc, with this later improved to 7.8 gigs per disc, with some games spanning multiple discs. They are unfortunately scratch-prone unlike the PS3's Blu-ray discs so buyer beware; also pay special attention to the outer edge, as it was unusually common for people to move their console around (or worse, knock it over or change its orientation from horizontal to vertial) while on, scratching the outer edge horribly due to how close the laser was. Games like this are pretty much hosed.

Region locking exists on the 360 but is a bit looser, with some games being region-free (Konami infamously didn't release Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance on 360 in Japan due to the fact that releasing an Xbox game in Japan makes you look weak and desperate, so they instead made the U.S. version region-free and include Japanese subtitles, and is regularly available through some channels like Amazon.jp this way). The regions are North America, Japan, and European/PAL territories.

Most games are digitally available, although exceptions exist, especially multi-disc games and some recent games due to a lot of games needing to simultaneously load data from disc and hard drive. Also, some games from early in the "Games on Demand" lifetime are overpriced, as are certain titles like Call of Duty, considering they are available for a pittance used, online and from your nearest Gamestop.

Due to market pressure from Sony, Microsoft has started offering free games for Xbox Live Gold subscribers, and since the system wasn't designed for ownership to expire, all free games are owned forever.

Backwards Compatibility

As long as your 360 has an official Microsoft hard drive (which all include an 8 gig original Xbox partition for save files and which games expect to find when loading), it is capable of running a select library (478 titles) from the original Xbox, with most of the best Xbox games being compatible. Note that, like the original Xbox, it is no longer possible to play online (since no online Live server exists for it anymore). Some games may have slowdown or graphical glitches. A small selection of games are available as digital downloads.

Accessories (not exhaustive)

Regular 360 controllers

Considered one of the best modern handheld controllers and the standard controller for PC games (although the Dualshock 4 is gaining traction), its biggest failing is its D-Pad, which rests on a long stalk which has to be moved in order for the controller to work, it's best used for secondary functions (e.g. inventory item changing, activating HUD functionality) and not as the main control scheme for any game. A later controller revision added a transforming D-Pad which can be twisted to form the more familiar + shape, but it's still not great and this "transforming" functionality is fragile so it's recommended to pick a layout and stick with it instead of changing it around. On that note, the analog sticks themselves can develop stick drift (where it doesn't return to center correctly).

These controllers sport a small proprietary plug on the bottom used for chat headsets. Note that this connector only transmits chat audio and not game audio. Headsets exist which will also let you hear game audio but they have to tap into the console's audio out somehow (most commonly via optical TOSlink to a receiver included with the headset).

Wired controller

This uses standard USB and will work when plugged into a PC, possibly having to poll drivers from Windows Update.

Wireless controller

This requires two AA batteries but they will generally last a long time (dozens of hours of playtime). These can work with a PC but require a USB wireless receiver, third party Asian ones are plentiful on eBay. Microsoft sells these but only bundled with a controller (and I think only the older model). "Play and Charge" kits are available which include rechargable battery packs and either a recharging dock or a proprietary cord connecting the controller to a USB port. Note that despite appearances, this does NOT turn your controller into a wired controller, as only power is transmitted through the cable. For PC use you will still need a wireless dongle, and it can't interface with a XIM either.

Third-party controllers

Most commonly these will take the form of arcade sticks by Mad Catz or Hori, but various other controllers like DDR dance mats and the like exist. Although the 360 has USB ports, they require proprietary "360" chips and thus won't support just any USB controller. There is a "PS360" interface board used for people who build their own fight sticks.

Scene-It game show buzzers

This uses a USB-based receiver and four differently-colored "buzzer" controllers, requiring 1 AA battery each. These usually came bundled with a Scene-It game, which is a terrible game so these bundles were commonly fire-saled (note: keep an eye on French/Spanish game bundles of this, as these tend to be cheaper still if stores are clearing them out; got my French set for $8). Why would you want this? Why, for You Don't Know Jack, of course, which is a good quiz game, and the buzzers may feel more familiar to friends you have over who don't ordinarily game. Cookie Masterson's in-game instructions are adjusted if you play with these controllers. The big buzzer button also works as a crude D-Pad if you press the edge. That said, YDKJ had an oversight and the on-screen button indicated button for "screwing" your fellow contestants is wrong when using these controllers (it says Y but should be A, if memory serves, or vice-versa).

XIM

This cons the system into thinking you have a wired controller (by piggybacking off one you plug in) but actually have a keyboard+mouse. Due to the disaster area that is PC versions of Call of Duty (sparse online population and cheaters galore) even die-hard PC fanatics will usually take this approach to play Call of Duty in lieu of its PC version, and it is compatible with almost any game where keyboard+mouse controls make sense. The XIM4 is the latest model and can interface with 360, PS3, PS4 and Xbox One. Note that for this to work on the 360 you must have a wired controller. $150.

Kinect

Probably the most infamous "controller", it showed promise initially but was a bit flawed and is commonly available cheaply loose, even at Gamestop. Note that fat 360's require an additional adapter for power, and you will need calibration cards (I'm pretty sure you can print these if needed, although these should be in the case with Kinect Adventures, normally a pack-in-only game included with standalone Kinects). You will ideally want a large room with no sunlight for best performance (especially with multiple players). Ultimately the technology is better suited to non-gaming applications, and a Windows Kinect exists for software development purposes, and can be used for basic motion capture as well. A few games are "better with Kinect," (shown on game's front label) most notably Skyrim which lets you throw spells with voice commands, and some driving games and I think Battlefield support basic head tracking as well. Some games require Kinect, and have purple cases instead of Green ones (although Buyer Beware if buying secondhand from Gamestop as they often swap cases).

Notable Kinect-only games (I said Notable, not good)

Just Dance 3 and 4, and Just Dance Kids. They are available on other platforms like the PS3 with PSMove, and Wii, although these require a handheld controller and are less sophisticated than the 360 version as a result. Later games (2014, 2015 etc.) are also available on Xbox One (supports up to 6 players) and PS4 with camera, as well as PS3 with PSMove, Wii and Wii U.

The colored hand is something of a relic for the other versions relying on a handheld wand-type controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjq2_Mg3pSA

Dance Central: This is the Kinect's quintessential dancing game. It also allowed you to "stack" song libraries, as the disc copies came with a DLC code. The sequel would accept codes from older titles, letting you pay $5 to import the old game's entire library into the newest iteration, meaning Dance Central 3 can have the entire library of DC1 and 2. DC1 was only available on disc. DC2 is available digitally (check eBay as pack-in codes existed and are cheap) and DC3 will recognize DC2 digital ownership automatically for the $5 upgrade. All previous DLC will also work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieSCcJecGww

Dance Masters, by the creators of Dance Dance Revolution. Probably the most technologically advanced use of Kinect, if you can stand Konami's Bemani music lineup, this will use the Kinect's tracking to insert you into the game so you are literally dancing next to the dancers on-screen. Each background dancer is uniquely modeled if Dance Central's "robot dancers" were too uncanny valley for you. This is a disc-only game, although it can be installed to improve load times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNiYREvG2K4

Kinect Star Wars: I'm...Han Solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

Double Fine Happy Action Theater: Not really a "game" but more of a "gently caress around with Kinect" demo. Great for kids' parties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMU4vPd4Xo

Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor: Going from "biggest controller ever" to "no controller at all", although this game is considered screwy and not great. Still, it's there.

EA Sports Active: Comes with a heart rate monitor. Is the least intrusive version of this title since you don't have to shove wand controllers in various places on your person.

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (original and 2014): Ubisoft wants to play fitness soft too!

Other titles:

Kinect Disneyland
Kinect Harry Potter

Notable imports

Microsoft has been systematically doing worse and worse with each console in Japan so titles are very limited. Here's what I know of which isn't available on PS3.

Mushihimesama Futari - region-free AND available as a "greatest hits" price-reduced title. Get your smhup hell on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2KyvBdfvfs

Dance Dance Revolution Universe 3 Special Chinese Edition (region-locked for Asia) - DDR Universe 3 itself is available in all territories, although this edition adds in 20 Chinese pop songs. Mainly a curiosity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeD8zn0Qayg

Tetris: The Grand Master Ace (region-locked for Asia) - a 360 launch title in Japan, I believe this is the only home edition of any Tetris: The Grand Master game.

Noteworthy 360 games - Holy poo poo this list is far from complete so please suggest stuff. My below list is mostly (although not exclusively) focused on stuff not on PS3.

Due to the PS3 being market leader in many parts of the world, it was rare for a game to avoid a PS3 release. That said, here is a list of noteworthy games.

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand - A third-person action game in which you are the titular Fiddy on a quest to recover his diamond-encrusted skull. Also on PS3 although that version requires a first-time install and has no trophies.
Bayonetta - has twice the framerate and better graphics than the PS3 version (although a good version is also now available on Wii U).
Blue Dragon - I think this was the top-selling 360 games in Japan, a 360-exclusive jRPG on 3 discs.
Diablo 3 and Diablo 3: Resurrection of Evil. Blizzard did an amazing port job of these games (vanilla Diablo and post-expansion versions, respectively), allowing 4-player couch co-op and offline play. Vanilla Diablo 3 for 360 and PS3 was even the first edition of the game to get rid of the hated Auction House and had the much better loot distribution system before the PC version! It's a completely different game with a very tiny change (the controller) and recommended to give this a go with three friends if you've only played the PC version. Note that these are both also on PS3, and with expansion also on PS4 and Xbox One. Also note that Diablo 3: RoE on 360 (and PS3) will not receive post-2.0 content updates, but can import characters from the vanilla console version of the game, as well as carry those characters and stashes forward to the PS4 or Xbox One versions (even cross-platform, with restrictions).
FIFA World Cup 2014 (also on PS3 with 7-player support) - Not released on next-gen consoles because those are like two grand each in Brazil and that would have just been embarrassing.
Forza Motorsport 4 - Considered by many to be the best home racing game released so far, featuring hundreds of cars, including "normal people" cars (it's not uncommon for players to have a stable of every car they ever owned). Later iterations in the series seem to have a gone a tad microtransaction-happy.
Lost Odyssey - A 4-disc Final Fantasy game in all but name, even has Nobuo Uematsu as composer.
NHL 15 (also on PS3 with 7-player support) - Actually more complete than the PS4 and Xbox One versions of this game feature-wise, and includes an NHL '94 mode because even EA can't admit they'll ever make a better NHL game than that one. Maybe the next-gen versions of NHL 16 will be fixed?
Nier (also on PS3) - A Squeenix RPG from the Drakengard series.
Perfect Dark - A download-only 1080p60 online-capable port of the popular N64 game.
Red Dead Redemption - A technical nightmare in terms of how much porting and engine changes this game went through, this is only on 360 and PS3 and will likely stay that way due to how fragile the code is. It's GTA: Wild West, pretty much, and the 360 version is more solid than the PS3 version (which has a lower res, less effects and a lower framerate).
Sonic The Hedgehog (a.k.a. Sonic '06) - Was the worst Sonic game until Sonic Boom came along. Also on PS3 but without trophies.
Too Human - Development Hell: The Game. Was the target of a lawsuit from Epic Megagames requiring all copies to no longer be sold, although it's still plentiful on eBay.
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - Has a stable framerate which the PS3 doesn't during effects-intensive sequences. DLC is no longer available due to Marvel being sold to Disney. Due to the upscaler used in the 360 and programming differences, there can be minor timing differences for high-level fighting game play (to the point where fighting game tournaments specify the platform for each game and professional/serious players will train on that version), although pretty much every other fighting game is otherwise identical when the 360 and PS3 versions are compared.
Viva Piñata - Someone else sell this game I don't know it well enough to do it justice.

univbee fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 16, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You forgot Child of Eden in your Kinect list :ssh:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

univbee posted:

Viva Piñata - Someone else sell this game I don't know it well enough to do it justice.

If you like Pokemon and/or Harvest Moon, buy Viva Pinata. It's a gardening game that is kind of a mix of the aforementioned two series', and it and its sequel are two of the very few games that Rare made that are actually worthwhile since they were acquired by Microsoft. It's sort of a hard game to really describe in greater detail than this.

Also the 360 controller rules except for the part where the analog sticks are less durable than those of the N64. Seriously they're loving terrible, I'm on my 5th one and about to buy a 6th because both sticks, especially the left, have completely gone to poo poo. Again. Meanwhile I only ever went through 1 N64 controller to this day, probably thanks to not ever really liking Mario Party.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 16, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I haven't played the X360 version but Fantasia: Music Evolved is a fun Kinect game (relatively speaking, of course).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cubey posted:

Also the 360 controller rules except for the part where the analog sticks are less durable than those of the N64. Seriously they're loving terrible, I'm on my 5th one and about to buy a 6th because both sticks, especially the left, have completely gone to poo poo. Again. Meanwhile I only ever went through 1 N64 controller to this day, probably thanks to not ever really liking Mario Party.

I forgot about this, adding to my post. Stupid frail sticks :argh:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Nuts and Bolts probably deserves a nod. Its not really a classic Banjo game but it isn't terrible as a sandbox to gently caress around in and is exclusive.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cliff Racer posted:

Nuts and Bolts probably deserves a nod. Its not really a classic Banjo game but it isn't terrible as a sandbox to gently caress around in and is exclusive.

You're drat right it isn't a classic Banjo game, since it's actually, y'know, good and all.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Cubey posted:

see, i just chose both because video games are fun. however, i generally find it easier to go back to my n64 collection.

Two systems of the same generation at the same time? Lookit Mr. Moneybags over here. :colbert:

The PS1 was the first system I bought with my own money too. Definitely could not have afforded another one with the 10-hour/week job I had in high school even if I'd wanted a Saturn or N64 at the time.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Quiet Feet posted:

Two systems of the same generation at the same time? Lookit Mr. Moneybags over here. :colbert:

Had a Genesis and Super Nintendo the generation before then, and the GameCube, PS2 and Xbox after as well. Granted in all of these cases we got only one on launch and got the other(s) later on after price drops, but when they were still current nevertheless.

And now I have neither of the new consoles nor do I plan on buying them. I'd rather spend my 400 bucks on a CIB copy of Earthbound...and in fact fully plan on doing so because I'm a goddamn idiot.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Uh, excuse me?! Hybrid Heaven? Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage? QUEST 64? Keep the change, kid.

Hybrid Heaven rules. You can suplex a horse man.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So I heard that Castlevania Chronicles was a port of an X68000 remake of Castlevania 1, but I wasn't expecting it to be this faithful...

Not that I'm complaining, mind. The MIDI stuff is way better than the terrible redbook remixes in Arrange Mode.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

univbee posted:

Blue Dragon - I think this was the top-selling 360 games in Japan, a 360-exclusive jRPG on 3 discs.
Lost Odyssey - A 4-disc Final Fantasy game in all but name, even has Nobuo Uematsu as composer.

Thanks for the very informative post. I guess that makes it officially retro now. :)
I love RPGs so I am going to pick up these two for sure.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The_Frag_Man posted:

Thanks for the very informative post. I guess that makes it officially retro now. :)

Be warned that even most JRPG fans seem to dislike both of these games. I have not played them so I can't say why that is, but they don't seem to have been very well received by fans.

Also for the love of god if you are interested in Eternal Sonata, go play literally anything else, that game is poop from a particularly smelly anus. I have played that one because it looked nice, but beyond some neat graphics and a decent soundtrack it's really bad. I didn't think you could make a JRPG with a shittier cast than FF8 or Tales of Symphonia, but by god they managed it with flying colors. Also the overall story is some really goddamn stupid bullshit, and not in the silly sort of way that a game centered around Chopin's dreams should have been.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

The Kins posted:

So I heard that Castlevania Chronicles was a port of an X68000 remake of Castlevania 1, but I wasn't expecting it to be this faithful...

Not that I'm complaining, mind. The MIDI stuff is way better than the terrible redbook remixes in Arrange Mode.

That's goofy I wonder how much of a difference the options make :psyduck:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

flyboi posted:

That's goofy I wonder how much of a difference the options make :psyduck:
I tried the top and bottom options, and sure enough it seems to be recordings of the original PC game's MIDI soundtrack using that hardware. Or maybe it's a soundfont or something? I dunno.

Apparently some releases lock this behind a cheatcode and add a "THIS IS FROM THE ORIGINAL VERSION YOU DON'T NEED ACTUAL HARDWARE STUFF" disclaimer?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Xbox 360 Power Supplies:

The fat 360's power supply connectors are keyed in a way that any power supply that will fit your console should work. The higher wattage PSU will fit in the newer fat systems but the lower wattage newer PSUs will not fit in the older fat systems that had higher power usage.

This image shows how they are keyed:

I don't know about the newer S and E systems.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The_Frag_Man posted:

Blue Dragon is not good. If you set out to try to create the most generic JRPG possible, you'd wind up with Blue Dragon.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The only good JRPG on the 360 is Tales of vesperia.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Taint Reaper posted:

The only good JRPG on the 360 is Tales of vesperia.

I have this but have been reluctant to play it because the characters in Tales of Symphonia were so loving bad

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Monitor Burn posted:

The game genie makes perfect sense to modify for that type of adapter; I'll have to give that a shot. Any idea which type of board they used? And yeah, the flux pen makes attaching wires to tiny IC pins trivial.

In all honesty, I still like my gutted cart the best out of any idea I've seen. It does have an issue with over sized games though. I'm not sure which board the game genie one used since I already had a board from Gyromite, I was looking for case ideas before I just decided to Dremel the actual cart. If I end up with like a crapton more Jap games that I'm constantly swapping out I may invest in a top loader and a nicer looking adapter, but more likely, just a Famicom.

Edit: found the Game Genie one, and one I like even better made from a cleaning kit.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=66792

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 16, 2015

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Cubey posted:

Be warned that even most JRPG fans seem to dislike both of these games.

I really liked Lost Odyssea, but Blue Dragon was pretty bad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cubey posted:

I have this but have been reluctant to play it because the characters in Tales of Symphonia were so loving bad

But Tales of Symphonia was a perfectly fine game :shrug:. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, is another matter.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Kins posted:

You can also use the Konami code to unlock some other neat options, though I forget what they do.

Cubey posted:

Yuri is one of the best JRPG characters to ever exist, so get on that poo poo.

Also Lost Odyssey was actually good, it's just Blue Dragon that was bland. Like a soulless and numbingly easy Dragon Quest.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But Tales of Symphonia was a perfectly fine game :shrug:.

there is nothing fine about lloyd, genis or collette.

Phantasium posted:

Yuri is one of the best JRPG characters to ever exist, so get on that poo poo.

Yeah I prolly will someday. Then again it's just one of some 30 Xbox 360 games I own and have not played, and the list just gets larger as I continue to get more games through sales and Games with Gold, so who knows when 'someday' will be.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
SA Forums rules-wise, it's probably too soon to talk about the various methods of running unsigned code on the 360, right? I hope I remember half of what I knew about it when the time comes to write up that post.

VVVVVV: I actually expect Microsoft to keep servers up for the 360 for a long-rear end time. Longer than they even did for the Original Xbox. I think Microsoft knows that the longer they keep those services up, the more faith people will have in the idea of purchasing digital games, which serves their long term interests.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 16, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

xamphear posted:

SA Forums rules-wise, it's probably too soon to talk about the various methods of running unsigned code on the 360, right? I hope I remember half of what I knew about it when the time times to write up that post.

Considering that the 360 still has an active online service, I'd say it's probably not a good idea.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

At least the cast of Symphonia like each other. The cast of Abyss actively hate the protagonist to the point where they refuse to tell him anything then blame the death of thousands on his ignorance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cubey posted:

there is nothing fine about lloyd, genis or collette.

Okay, you're gonna have to walk me through that one.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Cubey posted:

If you like Pokemon and/or Harvest Moon, buy Viva Pinata. It's a gardening game that is kind of a mix of the aforementioned two series', and it and its sequel are two of the very few games that Rare made that are actually worthwhile since they were acquired by Microsoft. It's sort of a hard game to really describe in greater detail than this.

What do you mean about the 360 sticks? That the rubber on the stick wears down easily? If so, that's a 50 cent/5 minute fix.

As far as the analog mechanism breaking? Can't say I've seen that happen, but even so, with a little bit of desoldering/soldering, that's easily fixable as well.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

fatpat268 posted:

What do you mean about the 360 sticks? That the rubber on the stick wears down easily? If so, that's a 50 cent/5 minute fix.

As far as the analog mechanism breaking? Can't say I've seen that happen, but even so, with a little bit of desoldering/soldering, that's easily fixable as well.

Heavily used ones will start to drift which can affect some games, and the rubber nubs will wear off eventually, but neither of those are that bad. I've used 360 analog sticks for countless hours and they can handle plenty of abuse. Saying they're worse than N64 sticks is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fatpat268 posted:

The sticks stop re-centering. Basically,

Aphrodite posted:

It's because the plastic ring at the bottom of the stick cover is constantly rubbing against other parts of that joystick assembly and it gets shaved smaller over time until it can't center anymore.

Some games have enough of a deadzone that you don't notice it, some have no deadzone. I was playing some action game a few years ago and every time I changed areas after the loading screen the camera slowly panned up. I thought it was something the game was doing to show off each area, but it turned out to just be stick drift.

This has happened on all my controllers, my current one is so bad that if I push the controller left all the way, it stays halfway to the left unless I manually push it back to center. It's about a thousand times more irritating than it sounds, and it makes playing games a chore. Especially games like Forza which require a good amount of precision.

• Locked thread