Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The tier 3 IJN cruiser is actually a better destroyer than the tier 3 IJN destroyer, even without the smokescreen. The tier 4 is pretty pants though, same weak guns as a destroyer but unlike the previous one has none of the agility. I'm on the long grind to the tier 6 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NTRabbit posted:

The tier 3 IJN cruiser is actually a better destroyer than the tier 3 IJN destroyer, even without the smokescreen. The tier 4 is pretty pants though, same weak guns as a destroyer but unlike the previous one has none of the agility. I'm on the long grind to the tier 6 now.

I liked the Kuma ok, it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hopterque posted:

I liked the Kuma ok, it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either.

Though they're both floating fluoro paper targets in a battleship game, the Phoenix seems to be better at tier.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Upgraded Kuma looks really cool, though.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
When playing tier 3 cruisers, what are you supposed to do about torpedo bombers that drop torpedo right next to you. Is there an AA button or something.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The jump from 'heavy destroyers' to heavy cruisers in the IJN cruiser line is a little daunting at first, Your now the size of some battleships, you have a lot of meaty guns, and torps that will only fire as your facing away from your target

^Tier 3 cruisers are normally ww1 ships, when the thought that planes could threaten a warship was laughable, Your not going to get any proper AA till around Tier 5

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Zettace posted:

When playing tier 3 cruisers, what are you supposed to do about torpedo bombers that drop torpedo right next to you. Is there an AA button or something.

Keep your bow pointed at the torpedo bombers at all times. If I can do it in a battleship, you can do it in a T3 cruiser.

But if you didn't see the TBs coming then...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U7rOUSvYM8

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Stevefin posted:

^Tier 3 cruisers are normally ww1 ships, when the thought that planes could threaten a warship was laughable, Your not going to get any proper AA till around Tier 5

Which is why all the hull and gun upgrades are historically accurate too, matching desperate early war attempts to bolster AA defence by ripping off ineffective WW1 and interbellum AA guns and even main gun turrets to replace them with as many 20mm Oerlikons and 40mm Bofors as could fit without causing the ship to capsize, and in the USN at least rapidly pressed into service the 5"/38 dual purpose gun.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 16, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
130 k in torp damage and 8k in bombs and it's a draw, thanks to some shitlords.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

That's really cool, thanks a bunch.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
I'm feeling the itch to jump on this.
Are you guys gonna scream ITT if the signups are opening again? For EU.
Ie, I have a decent chance to get in if I keep on top of this thread.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Daktari posted:

I'm feeling the itch to jump on this.
Are you guys gonna scream ITT if the signups are opening again? For EU.
Ie, I have a decent chance to get in if I keep on top of this thread.

I was platooned with you when you last ragequit tanks. How is your blood pressure these days?

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
I'm digging the "flow," of the game as ships have to move to keep alive. Granted, I'm just be-bopping in the Tier 1-3 range still, but I hope that sort of thing doesn't change too much the higher up I go.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
So aside from the Kongo, what are some other ships people think are worth keeping? I'm pretty ambivalent about the St. Louis, and six slots with no piasters is pretty limiting. I'm assuming that for CVs, just keep on going up, and for CLs, the cleveland is worth keeping around.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
CVs need some rebalancing or a MM fix to be playable anyway, every other game I come up against a CV a tier higher than me and I might as well torp myself to get out of the game. Losing a full fighter squadron in a 1on1 fight while killing a single enemy plane is just not fun.

Also I suck with DDs :(

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tahirovic posted:

Also I suck with DDs :(

Think of DDs like this: In the first half of the game, you just kill other DDs. Once they're thinned out, you look for targets of opportunity and jump them while they're occupied or go hunt down a carrier. Like everything you need to be constantly re-evaluating where you're going and what your next move is based on the minimap but with DDs I've found that you need to change plans constantly because you're so god drat fragile and can't afford to take any hits.

That said, DD hunting in american DDs is great. Other DDs get so torpedo-focused they don't expect you to waste them in 2-3 volleys of your guns.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

plehsistential posted:

So aside from the Kongo, what are some other ships people think are worth keeping? I'm pretty ambivalent about the St. Louis, and six slots with no piasters is pretty limiting. I'm assuming that for CVs, just keep on going up, and for CLs, the cleveland is worth keeping around.

Fuso was pretty sweet last I played it, but honestly play what you want.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

plehsistential posted:

I enjoy the Cleveland and Kongo but the Cleveland steamer wins out since I can pound out more fire which is the main goal anyways. It's not good at long ranges but has noteworthy AA and is responsive.

I played through the Pensacola and Amagi through Alpha and the latter was the most memorable of the two although most people prefer the Pensacola because it has better accuracy.

Quick torpedo chat I was playing on Saturday night for while with someone who is very effective with them and he suggested his method of firing your first and second waves staggered with a slight variation. If you can bait your target into maneuvering with the first wave you can likely unload the second and score hits. Also you can try leading your target with the first wave into the direction you want diverting their attention from whatever target they might be trying to focus down.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

xthetenth posted:

Pubbies shooting torpedoes at my battleship is kind of endearing, they're really not good at it.

Turns out there's a practical application for high school trigonometry after all. :smugnerd:

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
So I figured out how to do the point blank and tight torpedo bomber volleys, holy poo poo is that the most unfair thing.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Pubbies shooting torpedoes at my battleship is kind of endearing, they're really not good at it.

I've found "allied" pubbie destroyers have no problem landing torpedoes on my cruisers about every other game

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
Oh god the gun layout on the Isokaze is so bad. :cripes: They should have just replaced 3 of them with more torpedo tubes.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Don't let CV's sit in the back of the map at a full stop with nothing to do but send endless calculated waves of torpedoes at you. If they are busy evading getting sunk and having to maneuver all over the place then they do not have time to work out complicated poo poo. Most people can't steer a ship without managing to run into another player, an island or off the map boundaries because they are so focused. I cannot imagine the difficulty a CV player would have when they are being actively hunted down and trying to play in Starcraft mode effectively.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

demonR6 posted:

Don't let CV's sit in the back of the map at a full stop with nothing to do but send endless calculated waves of torpedoes at you. If they are busy evading getting sunk and having to maneuver all over the place then they do not have time to work out complicated poo poo. Most people can't steer a ship without managing to run into another player, an island or off the map boundaries because they are so focused. I cannot imagine the difficulty a CV player would have when they are being actively hunted down and trying to play in Starcraft mode effectively.

You just shift-click a few waypoints. Takes less than three seconds. Unless the guy is bad enough that he can't do this but odds are he won't gridfuck you in the first place then.

The proper solution is to have CAs and CVs that are on the ball with their AA weapons, but, well, good luck with that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

demonR6 posted:

I enjoy the Cleveland and Kongo but the Cleveland steamer wins out since I can pound out more fire which is the main goal anyways. It's not good at long ranges but has noteworthy AA and is responsive.

I played through the Pensacola and Amagi through Alpha and the latter was the most memorable of the two although most people prefer the Pensacola because it has better accuracy.

Quick torpedo chat I was playing on Saturday night for while with someone who is very effective with them and he suggested his method of firing your first and second waves staggered with a slight variation. If you can bait your target into maneuvering with the first wave you can likely unload the second and score hits. Also you can try leading your target with the first wave into the direction you want diverting their attention from whatever target they might be trying to focus down.

I generally fired one at where the enemy was and one at how I thought he'd dodge in alpha. Now I just stagger them slightly.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

While there's still plenty of adjustments to be made, both major and minor, one that really sticks out to me in the "I cannot believe anyone thought this change was a decent idea" is the IJN destroyer gun speed. They're basically all sitting at ~45 seconds for the 180 turn, while US ones are turning that distance in 5. That's battleship speed, which is completely unacceptable on a platform maneuvering like a destroyer needs to. While IJN destroyers have better torpedoes, they're not THAT much better - especially at the higher tiers when the US start getting pretty good ones themselves. I just cannot imagine why anyone would play the tier ~9-10 IJN destroyers currently, as at that level both sides have >10 km, 60+kt torpedoes, while the US have such better guns it's not even funny. Excellent torpedoes and guns so poor they might as well not be there vs. very good torpedoes and excellent guns is not exactly a hard choice.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ugh, had a string of games recently in my Kongo where my long-range shots kept landing just too far or too short of full broadsides on boats.

In figuring out how to lead everything but a DD (and shoot over tall islands) I have apparently forgotten how to rangefinder my targets.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

El_Molestadore posted:

I was platooned with you when you last ragequit tanks. How is your blood pressure these days?

I guess I'll be able to work myself up to some decent levels of sperging, with good help from my friend dunning kruger.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Fart Car '97 posted:

Think of DDs like this: In the first half of the game, you just kill other DDs. Once they're thinned out, you look for targets of opportunity and jump them while they're occupied or go hunt down a carrier. Like everything you need to be constantly re-evaluating where you're going and what your next move is based on the minimap but with DDs I've found that you need to change plans constantly because you're so god drat fragile and can't afford to take any hits.

That said, DD hunting in american DDs is great. Other DDs get so torpedo-focused they don't expect you to waste them in 2-3 volleys of your guns.

This seems like good advice and I'm going to take it.

You can't expect it in pub matches, but when it happens, teamwork is a wonderful thing. I was divisioned up with a buddy, I'm in my Cleveland, he in a St. Louis :haw:. A Kongo was trying to cap, but the CV player kept the bombers coming. He wasn't aiming the planes well, but it was good enough to keep the Kongo distracted and maneuvering rather than shooting at us. Two CA's six inch guns reduced him fairly quickly. But we stayed out of his secondary battery range because holy poo poo are BB secondaries buffed from the beta weekend test. Two CA's closed within my secondaries, one on each side and the secondaries sunk one and severely damaged the other.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Lord Koth posted:

While there's still plenty of adjustments to be made, both major and minor, one that really sticks out to me in the "I cannot believe anyone thought this change was a decent idea" is the IJN destroyer gun speed. They're basically all sitting at ~45 seconds for the 180 turn, while US ones are turning that distance in 5. That's battleship speed, which is completely unacceptable on a platform maneuvering like a destroyer needs to. While IJN destroyers have better torpedoes, they're not THAT much better - especially at the higher tiers when the US start getting pretty good ones themselves. I just cannot imagine why anyone would play the tier ~9-10 IJN destroyers currently, as at that level both sides have >10 km, 60+kt torpedoes, while the US have such better guns it's not even funny. Excellent torpedoes and guns so poor they might as well not be there vs. very good torpedoes and excellent guns is not exactly a hard choice.

Also there's the big thing of the early US destroyers having essentially a double dose of torpedoes, as they get two launchers on each side of the ship, and with the speed a destroyer turns it's pretty easy to take a quick shot with both sides for a really insane double torpedo salvo. I don't think any of the japanese destroyers get that, they just have launchers down the center.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

hopterque posted:

Also there's the big thing of the early US destroyers having essentially a double dose of torpedoes, as they get two launchers on each side of the ship, and with the speed a destroyer turns it's pretty easy to take a quick shot with both sides for a really insane double torpedo salvo. I don't think any of the japanese destroyers get that, they just have launchers down the center.

The extra 2-4k torpedo range the Japanese get makes a significant difference, especially if the enemy cruiser or battleship is in open water and you need to kill it. The 5.5k range of the Americans means you really need to get into knife-fighting range to get those 6-12 torps off, while praying their secondaries don't chew you up too badly.

That being said, I had a couple of games where I hit behind an island in my Nicholas, and Kongos sailed around the edge at 1-2k away. :getin:

Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 16, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Vorkosigan posted:

The extra 2-4k torpedo range the Japanese get makes a significant difference, especially if the enemy cruiser or battleship is in open water and you need to kill it. The 5.5k range of the Americans means you really need to get into knife-fighting range to get those 6-12 torps off, while praying their secondaries don't chew you up too badly.

That being said, I had a couple of games where I hit behind an island in my Nicholas, and Kongos sailed around the edge at 1-2k away. :getin:

I was just saying that it's another thing that closes the gap between american and japanese destroyers, torpedo wise, and american ones still have the enormous gun advantage.

e: Also I just got the Cleveland, oh man. I'm gonna miss the torpedoes of the Omaha a bit, but the guns, the guns!

Also the giant swarming cloud of AA fire anytime anything gets close to me.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 16, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Got my tier 6 american DD and man it kind hurts with the new larger map you can get. 4.5KM range torps and the same 4 cannons you have had on the past 3 ships, oh and you no longer get 4 tubes so you can poo poo out torpedoes in multiple directions. The Nicholas (tier 5) was great but this tier 6 ugh. What do you get in return now? A little bit of AA that is still pretty worthless and in general will get you killed having them on.

It is still pretty hilarious to duel DDs that only try to hit you with torps and don't even acknowledge that they have guns nice free juicy kills.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Man CV really aren't fun as soon as ships with AA are involved, timing becomes impossible with the RNG of being under fire and you generally don't have tough enough planes, tier6 AA absolutely shreds my tier5 bombers to a point where I might as well not be there.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Tahirovic posted:

Man CV really aren't fun as soon as ships with AA are involved, timing becomes impossible with the RNG of being under fire and you generally don't have tough enough planes, tier6 AA absolutely shreds my tier5 bombers to a point where I might as well not be there.

Yeah, I was Kongo'ing with a friend on TS, and we mauled a TB wave as we were sailing fairly close to each other. I can see this extending into later tiers when more ships have AA on them.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Any time any planes fly over my cleveland it's just "enemy plane shot down" over and over again, it's great. I can't even imagine what the really high tier AA is like.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

AA should really be manually aimed and you should also be able to use DP mounts on destroyers / cruisers as flak

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

DonkeyHotay posted:

AA should really be manually aimed and you should also be able to use DP mounts on destroyers / cruisers as flak

You CAN use DP mounts as Flak.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Saint Celestine posted:

You CAN use DP mounts as Flak.

Wait what, how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Tier 4-5 carriers ridiculous because AA is poo poo. Tier 6+ AA is ridiculous so carriers are useless. WG