Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Asphyxious posted:

There are unquestionably scum currently in those voting for me.

For future reference we have:

- Tirade
- Sulla
- MMG
- Anidav
- Bif
- TBK

One or more are gaming for both a safe spot as well as pushing for momentum.

Because you're getting bussed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Still doesn't make sense to vote for me.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asphyxious posted:

Still doesn't make sense to vote for me.

I will just go on faith that if it's all a brilliant town scheme you will explain it in time. :buddy:

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

I will just go on faith that if it's all a brilliant town scheme you will explain it in time. :buddy:

:psyduck: there's no brilliant town scheme it's just the same poo poo I always do day one but I've aimed for "funny" instead of "callous". As always I'm keen to keep a bit of heat on me to keep scum guessing but I'm not sure where the idea that everything I'm doing is some grand plot. I'm a linguist not a loving wizard.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asphyxious posted:

:psyduck: there's no brilliant town scheme it's just the same poo poo I always do day one but I've aimed for "funny" instead of "callous". As always I'm keen to keep a bit of heat on me to keep scum guessing but I'm not sure where the idea that everything I'm doing is some grand plot. I'm a linguist not a loving wizard.

Oh, that idea came from you. I thought the earlier stuff was just Gaspy Not Too Comfortable Playing Scum 2: Scum Harder, but then you said the Beet case was all a joke to stir up reactions and look for suss bandwagon votes.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

Oh, that idea came from you. I thought the earlier stuff was just Gaspy Not Too Comfortable Playing Scum 2: Scum Harder, but then you said the Beet case was all a joke to stir up reactions and look for suss bandwagon votes.

Yeah so that was a thing, but also intended as a parody of Beet's claims of "some day getting a lynch on me". I was more just saying dumb poo poo about Beet but then when some people started choking in with "yeah he's got a point" despite how utterly dense that was I thought I'd see where it went.

My line of reasoning is day one tends to be pretty dull but generally it's all I get to participate in so I'm just having a laugh and scumhunting where I can.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Choking = chiming

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asphyxious posted:

Yeah so that was a thing, but also intended as a parody of Beet's claims of "some day getting a lynch on me". I was more just saying dumb poo poo about Beet but then when some people started choking in with "yeah he's got a point" despite how utterly dense that was I thought I'd see where it went.

Yeah, but then is it even that scummy though, when you look at how the same town have voted on equally bad cases before? I don't know if that kind of gambit actually does distinguish anything in the end.

But I do not know how to scumhunt, so I think I'll just sleep on this for now, nighters!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Anyhoo, I'm off to bed.

See if you can restrain your lynch-lust till the morning.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'd rather not vote Asphyxious with very little nothing to go on, as he is a legit useful scum hunter if he is town. Same with Bif.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I have come to the conclusion that Bees is behind it all.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I am enjoying the relatively productive d1 we're having--instead of going for the default Anidav d1 (from which we hardly ever learn anything) we're actually talking about stuff. The day length is way more conducive to proper d1 scum hunting than the regular 12-hour "oh poo poo we've gotta lynch before deadline" steez and I'm guessing it'll be much harder for scum to hide behind silence/work/life excuses.

People I'm looking at and why (in no particular order)

Cumburgs: went weirdly hard against Beet about his stance against lynching Anidav straight away.
MMG: Weird reasoning for voting Gaspy so far...in that I'm not sure if it's a joke vote or a serious one. From my perspective Gaspy is always inscrutable.
Gaspy: Always loving inscrutable. I'll figure you out one of these days! :colbert:
Kommando: looks suss to me but always looks really suss, possibly just his play style.

The quieter players are harder to get a handle on :argh: POST MORE FOLKS.

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'd rather not vote Asphyxious with very little nothing to go on, as he is a legit useful scum hunter if he is town. Same with Bif.

Same. For me, Bif, Beet, and Gaspy are good because they bounce off each other and everyone else, and give me lots of fodder for analysis. I'd be happier to vote someone who's less consistently pro town.

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

I have come to the conclusion that Bees is behind it all.

So you're saying...everything is bees?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mithranderp posted:

:aaaaa:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Your suspicion is totally fair, and I was uncharacteristically aggressive in that exchange.

If it makes you all feel any better, there's been a method to my madness, and I've secretly been in-character this whole time

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Anidav posted:

But it's Auspol so they are all probably at work. Its hard to tell.

Nah I was playing Pokemon D&D, and then I went to bed.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

everythingWasBees posted:

Nah I was playing Pokemon D&D, and then I went to bed.

Hey bees, are you scum? You gotta tell me if you're scum.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Mithranderp posted:

Beads?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Literally every crew is Matoi's crew, he posts in every crew.

he was our's first :colbert:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

holy poo poo i thought first day was usually the vote random person and hope they're scum day. this is a thing. :stare:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

current thoughts on scum is that anidav is bad at mafia, and either matthew beet or cburgs, if not both, are probably scum. because jesus christ you two.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

also i started skimming at some point why're y'all voting for that machine gun person?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Hey bees, are you scum? You gotta tell me if you're scum.

nah im town

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

so uh ##unvote i guess
i'm not sure how people managed to appear scummy on day one but they managed it

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

this thread moves extremely quickly and I am glad for long days

I'm having a really hard time getting a read on anyone because there's a lot of super defensive talk

d1 anidav lynch is very quickly becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy because he begs to avoid it which makes people get annoyed at him but he seems to do it no matter what so I don't really feel like it's worth pursuing, this time

personally, I will be very interested to see how people's banter from today matches up to banter from tomorrow. maybe some inconsistencies will appear because we don't suddenly have a whole bunch of new data to look at

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

whats for dinner posted:

this thread moves extremely quickly and I am glad for long days

I'm having a really hard time getting a read on anyone because there's a lot of super defensive talk

d1 anidav lynch is very quickly becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy because he begs to avoid it which makes people get annoyed at him but he seems to do it no matter what so I don't really feel like it's worth pursuing, this time

personally, I will be very interested to see how people's banter from today matches up to banter from tomorrow. maybe some inconsistencies will appear because we don't suddenly have a whole bunch of new data to look at

by "no matter what" I mean whether he's scum or town, vanilla or powered

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

so uh ##unvote i guess
i'm not sure how people managed to appear scummy on day one but they managed it

I am going to trust you, friend, and hope you trust me when I say that I, too, am of the town.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I am going to trust you, friend, and hope you trust me when I say that I, too, am of the town.

##vote Old Dirty Cumburgs

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

##vote Old Dirty Cumburgs

Bees...

I'm keepin' my vote on MMG, though

He's bandwagon-y, he's overzealous to say "I'm town! Soooo town! Mr. Town of town right here!" and it rings false.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

whats for dinner posted:

That's an interesting thing to say, why do you believe we won't have data?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Kat Delacour posted:

That's an interesting thing to say, why do you believe we won't have data?

I didn't say that at all? I was talking about the usual start-of-day where we find out who was killed (if anyone), how many and any other interesting stuff and people with night roles have their results and can start their strategies for the day

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

whats for dinner posted:

I didn't say that at all? I was talking about the usual start-of-day where we find out who was killed (if anyone), how many and any other interesting stuff and people with night roles have their results and can start their strategies for the day

also because it's a 36 hour day and most auspol people have gone to sleep it seems?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Bees...

I'm keepin' my vote on MMG, though

He's bandwagon-y, he's overzealous to say "I'm town! Soooo town! Mr. Town of town right here!" and it rings false.

He's right about the bandwagons on day one, though. Usually you don't have enough to perform any sort of linguistic analysis and you don't have any voting record with confirmed town or scum, so you can only really do a random vote. A bandwagon is a good way to guarantee a lynch, which begins generating data for informed decisions, and also is the day where a town lynch is least impactful on town iirc.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

He's right about the bandwagons on day one, though. Usually you don't have enough to perform any sort of linguistic analysis and you don't have any voting record with confirmed town or scum, so you can only really do a random vote. A bandwagon is a good way to guarantee a lynch, which begins generating data for informed decisions, and also is the day where a town lynch is least impactful on town iirc.

The latter, more than the former, is the most compelling part of the argument.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Asphyxious can I ask specifically what type of linguistics you have studied because my girlfriend is a linguist too and she very rarely uses it as as a stand-in for the word 'cop' or 'lawyer' so I'm a bit curious

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Asphyxious can I ask specifically what type of linguistics you have studied because my girlfriend is a linguist too and she very rarely uses it as as a stand-in for the word 'cop' or 'lawyer' so I'm a bit curious

FORENSIC linguistics.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Given everything I have ever read about forensic science in general it sounds like a wonderful way to get a lot of innocent people thrown in prison

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Like in CSI when they get an expert in to look at someone's suicide note and the expert is all like like BUT WAIT THE WRITER OF THIS NOTE WAS LEFT HANDED AND THE VICTIM WAS RIGHT HANDED, WE'VE GOT A HOMICIDE!!!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Hm exactly the sort of thing a child-murdering paedophile would have written. Book him Danno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Basically anything with the word "forensic" in it immediately brings to my mind mind a procedural "DOING SCIENCE TO GET THE BAD GUY" montage.

• Locked thread